It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 It's not a game 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: Searching for the place all the Abra teleport to. I'm going to crash their party.
Hello, everyone. Since it's nearing Halloween (and since I've been transfixed by horror movies again), I've been a horror writing phase that I've been trying to break out of for some time. The only way for me to do that is to try and write scary stories.

Since I watched The Omen the other night, I've been into stories that deal with the horrors of demonic items. So, here's a short one I made up in just a few hours, to help satisfy my mind. Actually, it gave me the shivers as I reread it. So, I'm pretty sure it's good.

Oh, and never use a Ouigi Board; they're evil.

It’s not a game

Twirling a strand of dirty blonde hair around a slender, pale finger, Sarah glanced nervously around the room at the group of five friends, tension clogging the warm air. Everyone present was sitting in a tight circle, save for Sarah’s best friend, the devoted christian of the group, Rachel. She was impatiently tapping her knuckles against the wall she leaned against, sweat pouring down her face from heat, and something else. She kept on glancing at the item the others had converged around, the reason why they were all here, and all so nervous.

In the center of the group was a wooden board. Carved into the board was two rows of letters, in alphabetic order, a row of numerals under that, then three words; yes, now, and good bye. Above the group creaked an old fashioned chandelier, ornately designed crystals pointing down at them like a dozen spear tips.

Julia, the one who had invited her friends over to her house on this hot, Halloween Night, glanced up at Rachel, who had increased her rhythmic tapping to a frantically annoying beating sound. Flipping her brown hair out of her eyes, she said,” Would you quit that and get over here?”

Fixing Julia with narrowed eyes, Rachel stopped tapping, and said,”And what, participate in the satanic act you’re about to commit? No, I don’t think so. But I’ll watch. As a believer of God.” As if to specify her comment, she reached inside her shirt, and pulled out her small, wooden cross, which hung around her neck on a simple gold chain.

Snorting, Julia glanced around the circle, looking each pale faced friend in the eye, and asked,”Fine, suit yourself. Who wants to go first?”

Nervously eyeing the Ouija Board, Carlos, the only guy there besides Josh, let out a held breath, and said,” Nah, I don’t know. I think I’m with Rachel on this one. Just watching this time."

Snorting again, Julia turned to Josh, and said,”You’ll do it, right?”

Now it was Josh’s turn to be nervous. “I dunno. Maybe this isn’t such a good idea...”

“Oh, you’re no fun!”, Julia said. “Fine then, I’ll go first.”

Suddenly as nervous as everybody else, Julia reached a trembling hand forward, and lightly placed it on the reader. Hesitating for a second, she asked ,” Does this thing work?”

For a second, nothing. Then, like magic, the reader slowly slid across the floor, Julia’s hand to light to be pushing it on her own. The first letters were a W, an H, an A, and finally a T.

“What!”, Carlos said excitedly,” The first word is What!”

After a second long pause, the reader moved on, marking a D, and an O; do.

Next came Y-O-U, then finally T-H-I-N-K. The final phrase was What do you think. Sarah was sure that if a question mark was on the board, the reader would have ended the sentence on that.

Snorting, Josh said,”What luck. Looks like this thing likes sarcasm.”

Sucking in an astonished breath, Julia next asked,” Is that true?”

Once again, as if by magic, the reader slowly slid across the board, until it landed over the Yes.

Rachel came closer, more out of fear than curiosity, holding her cross out like a shield. “God, it works”, she said in a hushed voice, then said, much angrier this time,” You must stop now! Satan’s agents only want to hurt you, not help you. Continued use of this object of evil will lead you to your doom.”

Ignoring her completely, Julia looked around the circle again, and said,” What should I ask it next? Something personal? How about the name of my next boyfriend. That would be cool.”

Shaking his head, Carlos said,” Nah, something more serious than your love life. How about.... how about what college you’ll get accepted to!”

Sarah, who hadn’t said anything since they began using the board, spoke up, broaching,”How about when you’re going to die.”

Sarah’s quiet voice sliced through the group’s thoughts like a hot razor through butter. Horrified, Josh said,” Is that such a smart idea? I mean, do we really want to know that?”

But Julia seemed to make up her mind. “That’s a great idea, Rachel. Let’s put this board to the test.” Moving her hand to rest on the reader again, Julia quietly, almost unwillingly, asked,” When am I going to die?”

Once again, the board moved like magic, sliding smoothly to the first set of letters, which spelled R-I-G-H-T; right.

Heart pumping, Sarah felt a sense of foreboding overshadow her as the reader began moving again, and spelled out N-O-W. Now.

“Right now?”, Julia asked,” this thing must be bro-”

There was a sudden, unexpected snapping noise from above, then a loud, thundering crash. Looking up with wide eyes, Rachel stared at the scene in front of her, absolutely horrified with what she just witnessed.

The chandelier, which had been hovering above them, had snapped free from its wire. And Julia, who had been sitting underneath it, had been crushed beneath it, her head on the floor, pointed at a weird angle. Blood slowly trickled out of her still open mouth, which had been about to form the word ‘broken’.

Rachel walked over, her mouth wide open, then instantly bent her head, closing her eyes and saying a prayer for her friend. A movement tore Sarah’s eyes from the horrifying site; the reader on the board was moving again. Silently, almost triumphantly, it moved to rest upon the words ‘Good Bye’.

Authors note-Again, I would just like to say you should not use an Oiugi board, even if you're told it's just a game. Trust me on this one; it's evil, and bad things happen after you use it. Just trust me.

Last edited by Ghost Writer on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Fails at life
Fails at life

I like it. But when Carlos says, "Nah, something more serious than your love-life," you misspelled than as that.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:58 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Wow that's creepy. Really well told. It's sending shivers down my spine right now...

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:39 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

This story is surely creepy. Lucky me I didn´t read it in the night time or else I wouldn´t sleep so easily.

I like the overall ambience the best, it was always well described and there was always this tension in the air.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:49 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah, I also felt that the tension was held quite well throughout the peice.

What made me laugh was that my friends and I had just been discussing how a chandeleir's crashing was essential to any good film or book (Phantom of the Opera, Pirates) as a joke, and then I read this. :P

Pretty nice idea with the Ouiji board, though I don't think they're quite as dangerous in real life. I've toyed with aspects of the supernatural, and this was one of the many things my ex girlfriend and I tried that didn't work (among trying to levitate a coke bottle, which was also unsurprisingly unsuccessful. :P )

But yeah, good job. *Thumbs up.*

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:07 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I read this early in November so I don't know why I didn't post a comment then. Anyway, I liked most of it although I'm skeptical of Ouija Boards and I was quite wary of what you were writing about the religious girl, (because I'm religious), but that was fine.
Yeah, this must be quite good because it made me laugh, (which is what any enjoyable horror novel or film makes me do as only 2 films actually freak me out; I find every other good horror film funny).

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:56 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

:shock: That was definetely scary and good. can you post the rest though? :P Oh yeah what is an ougi board? :| :?:

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:09 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

That's all there is unless he decides to continue it. It's an one-shot.

A Ouija board can be just about anything with the alphabet, "yes," "no," numbers, "Ouija" and various other expressions (if it's homemade) on it. You have a pointer (a pen, paper clip, piece of paper, etc. if homemade) that spells out or answers various questions the living pose to the dead. People (usually two or three but one will work sometimes) lightly (notice the emphasis) place their fingers on it and see if someone from the otherside is there. If there is someone there who is willing to talk, they will begin to move the pointer. Pressing too hard on the pointer will make you move it yourself, but it won't work if no one's touching it at all...At least not to my knowledge. The pointer can move slowly or whisk around the board. It's more common for it to be slower though...

Does that help?

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:25 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

*shuders* This is like Final Destaination 3. Please continue it. This is one of the best stories I've ever read, well here, anyway. I'm scared now. NO!!!!>>>>>> :twisted: <<<<<<THE DEVIL NO!!! HELP :P.

Seriously though, I'd like this story to continue, its a great story and interesting one as well.

<Derek> is anyone here ??
<AngrySparrow> No
<Derek> im gonna leave because no one is here
*** Derek has quit (Exit: Psypoke Forever!)

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

That was intersting and scary at the same time. I belive sometime a long time ago I read story or watched a movie just along the same topic as this. Althogh yours was a lot better in my opinion.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:16 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: Searching for the place all the Abra teleport to. I'm going to crash their party.
*shuders* This is like Final Destaination 3. Please continue it. This is one of the best stories I've ever read, well here, anyway. I'm scared now. NO!!!!>>>>>> :twisted: <<<<<<THE DEVIL NO!!! HELP :P.

Seriously though, I'd like this story to continue, its a great story and interesting one as well.

It's a one shot, Time. This is probably all there is.

Latiosdude-You may be thinking about Final Destination, or The Omen, which sparked this story for me by reminding me of a conversation I had with my brother and his best friend way back in January.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

oh... :cry: you're not going to continue it! well, it was good while it lasted, really good while it lasted

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Roar Of Time wrote:

It's a one shot, Time. This is probably all there is.

Latiosdude-You may be thinking about Final Destination, or The Omen, which sparked this story for me by reminding me of a conversation I had with my brother and his best friend way back in January.

I don't know what you remember Final Destination/Final Destination 3 to be about but this short story isn't like those films.
In the first film, the main character has a vision of himself and his fellow students being blown up on the plain they just borded. He got off; some followed and then it was about death, (as in death in general/the death, not some random, evil dead spirit), coming after them because they were meant to have died already, (who'll be next? Will they survive and will it then skip to trying to kill the next person in the order the seer had the vision? Etc). Two survive and by the start of the second one, only one of these is alive.
In the third one, it's the same but with different people and the person who has the vision sees herself and others die on a rollercoaster (and so on).
So how is this story like those films? The person was told by a Ouiji that they were going to die, supposedly a dead person was bringing them that message as that's what Ouiji boards are about; they died when they were meant to; no one had a vision - the girl simply didn't want them to do it because she was strongly religious... Yeah, that about sums up my point.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:21 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Actually, the main idea about the Final Destination series is that the Devil/Satan/Grim Reaper/Death/etc. does not like people who skip out on death, and goes around gruesomely killing them as an invisible spirit.

The idea about this story is that an unknown spirit made the chandelier fall on top of Julia. I just threw it out there as either Satan or a demon, which is where it relates to The Omen, which is actually very similar to Final Destination, apart from the whole Satan's son thing.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ghost Writer, if you ain't going to continue it, can you write more horror stories. Pwetty Pwease? :P

<Derek> is anyone here ??
<AngrySparrow> No
<Derek> im gonna leave because no one is here
*** Derek has quit (Exit: Psypoke Forever!)

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:21 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

and then it was about death, (as in death in general the death, not some random, evil dead spirit), coming after them because they were meant to have died already, (who'll be next? Will they survive and will it then skip to trying to kill the next person in the order the seer had the vision? Etc). Two survive and by the start of the second one, only one of these is alive.

I think, somehow, I actually already said that :|. It was a good short story but apart from the fact that someone died, (so it could applied to many, many films), it wasn't very much like Final Destination. In the film, it wasn't just that death doesn't like people skipping out of dying - well, it was - but it was that they were meant to be dead. They cheated it, I would've been p*ssed off if people cheated me too, lol. But that was my point, no one did this in your story, so how is it like the film? The person who was meant to die, died, and did so straight away; they didn't 'cheat' death.
Ok though, at least if the film gave you the idea for this then it's a good thing.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]