It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Beowulf Review 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Beowulf stars Ray Winstone, Anthony Hopkins, John Malkovich, Robert Wright Penn, Brendan Gleeson, Crispin Glover, Alison Lohman, and Angelina Jolie. The film takes place in a village that is being disrupted by a beast.This movie is said to be the future of filming.

Beowulf starts off with the village having a loud party that agitates the town beast, who has sensitive ears and goes by the name Grendal (Crispin Glover). The king (Anthony Hopkins) is tired of the destruction that Grendal has caused the town and calls upon the hero Beowulf (Ray Winstone). Beowulf then agrees to slay the beast. After his encounter with Grendal ends with Grendal missing an arm, Beowulf is unaware that the beast has an angry mother (Angelina Jolie) that he must face after slaying Grendal. I won't ruin the movie for those of you who don't know the story or don't want me to ruin...

Beowulf puts the stunning animation that was used for"Shrek The Third" or "Polar Express"to good use. The problem with Beowulf is the remarkably bad dialog that produces a few unintentional laughs. It was hard to tell if Robert Zemeckis was trying to make the film satirical on purpose. The only way to see this film is in theaters because the animation wouldn’t look as good on DVD. Strikingly entertaining as far as visuals go.

Another major problem with Beowulf is the ending, which I call a momentum stealer. It may have a connection with the story, but with such a slow paced ending to such a briskly paced film makes for a disappointing conclusion. As far as animation goes, this is the best I have seen all year. This is a huge leap from the poorly written and badly executed ”Polar Express”, but still has it’s flaws that linger.

It is a visually captivating movie experience. There are two things that I couldn’t help but linger on. One is the laughably bad dialog, and the other is the ending takes away from the film’s energy. I will have to say that this film has one thing worth recommending, it’s thrillingly beautiful animation, and therefore fails as a whole.

Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

'Kay, I should point out, Beowulf is an old English Epic Poem, from the 10th or 11th century. As such, the plot is pretty much fixed, although the dialog is probably not (given what I know of scriptwriters). So, the ending is not the fault of the movie, but rather of the legend it was based on.
Dang, I should try to see this some time, probably over Christmas Break...

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

From what I've heard, (and now seen on the above picture), this film is animated too much.
Animations like Shrek are fine because they're like a cartoon and we don't actually have ogres and donkeys to act for us, but we are living and our actors/sets don't need to be animated for a film to be amazing. I really don't want animated humans in my films, (unless it's meant to be a cartoon-type film), so if this is the way films are going to be in the future, I'll stick to D.V.D.'s of 'old' movies.

A bad or unsatisfying ending + too much animation (and bad dialog) = Joey not seeing a film :( lol.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

'Kay, I should point out, Beowulf is an old English Epic Poem, from the 10th or 11th century. As such, the plot is pretty much fixed, although the dialog is probably not (given what I know of scriptwriters). So, the ending is not the fault of the movie, but rather of the legend it was based on.

Oh, I didn't know it was a poem, I thought they based if off of the book by J.R.R. Tolkien?

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It was good but there could be more action and the animation was wierd.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:22 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If you guys are saying there isn't enough action, then I would gather its not worth seeing. It is portrayed to be full of action from the start to the finish.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:53 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

JsXtm wrote:

Oh, I didn't know it was a poem, I thought they based if off of the book by J.R.R. Tolkien?

Lolno. It's a really old epic poem. Tolkien might have used it as part of his inspiration for some of the stuff he wrote about Middle Earth (the Lays of Beleriand, for instance), but the story came way before him.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I also dislike the fact that that was not the real body of Angelina Jolie and that the person who acted (with the computer stuff) was actually small. I agree that it had to much animation. And they way it was written was, for me, disorderly. I did not like the story for Beowulf slayed the dragon but Angelina Jolie is still alive. I think it is a waste of money. No offence to the people who enjoyed this movie.

Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:42 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Oh dear. English Literature wasn't your strong point, eh?

manuel_suplico2 wrote:
I did not like the story for Beowulf slayed the dragon but Angelina Jolie is still alive.

In the poem, Beowulf kills the mother (Angelina Jolie) but gets killed by the dragon. So, the film wasn't very true to the story in that respect.

I agree with you that they shouldn't have used all that CGI. They had a perfectly good cast of actors, and it certainly wasn't a childrens' film, so what was the point of animating everything? I saw it in 3D, which was kinda cool; I wouldn't say it's high culture, but it was certainly good fun to watch.

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]