It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Sonic the Hedgehog EC | OVER 

The Final Two
Poll ended at Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:32 pm
Sonic the Hedgehog "Blue Blur" 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
Knuckles the Echidna "Knucklehead" 60%  60%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 20

Sonic the Hedgehog EC | OVER 
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Shadow may be essentially just a copy of Sonic, but he's more than that. He has his own story behind him, elaborating on his mysterious past. He also strives to be better than Sonic in every way, whatever the cost. In essence, he's a lot more than just some cheap copy - he's like Sonic's polar opposite; each completes the other. / Silver on the other hand, essentially also being a copy of Sonic, is far too similar to Shadow, and thus dwarfed by him. Both their powers stem from similar sources, and their attitudes toward Sonic seem to be the same (although Shadow views Sonic at a more intense degree). Will Silver's story be elaborated upon? Only time will tell, but for now, I'm not really going to wait to find out. Besides, traveling back in time to save the future? That's been done a million times; it gets old.

Good enough for ya, Pelli? :wink:
- DNA

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:31 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Even though I voted against Sonic in the last round, he deserves to stay in the contest more than the shameless self-ripoffs that originated from his own series no less. With that being said though, I'll be voting against Sonic after all the clones and emo kids have been taken out because Sega's marketing strategy for the Sonic series in the early 90's leaves a bad taste in my mouth today.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:54 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I've never been a huge fan of the Sonic series, but I like Knuckles. He's like Shadow with the crappy emo bits removed. Also, he can punch and glide in the Advance games, which is a far better record than *say* Amy with her inability to even spin.

The island prison level of Shadow the Hegdehog had the most annoying soundtrack of any game thanks to Charmy Bee. The guy sounds about six years old, and is the most irritating thing to come out of my TV's speakers since the Crazy Frog adverts aired.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sorry for posting the record shortest reasons. xD To tell the truth, I don't know a lot about Sonic, but I know which guys I like and which I don't. (THe ones I don't know at all, I don't vote for.)

Knuckles / Charmy

Well, I think Knuckles is somewhat like Sonic, only he's ownage with his hands rather than his feet. And he's cool that way. Plus, I like his hair. ;) / I really, really don't like Charmy. I think he's irritating, and almost pointless. There are some very cute Sonic characters, like Amy or Cream, but Charmy is overdoing the cuteness. ><

DeviantART | Webcomic | Photobucket

Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Immunity: Knuckles
Boot: Silver and Charmy

Last edited by pelligargetic on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:03 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Cream is generally an underrated, underused character who deserves more spotlight than she gets. She's friendly to everybody, she has a cute Chao, and she's a cute bunny :3, so she certainly deserves equal or more focus than the annoying stalker Amy Rose. / Robot characters look totally out of place in the Sonic universe, and Omega looks dumber than Gamma and Emerl, so I'm voting against him. Not that I know who any of the three are, lol newer Sonic games.

Last edited by Frost on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:07 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Shadow/ *I know some of you will hate for this but so be it*.... Blaze

With Shadow he has been called a clone and an emo. The clone thing isn't too far from the truth, but the emo thing has no evidence to support it. I have been waiting for another hedgehog character, and Shadow being a dark character adds more veriety to the cast. Now in the first game he appeared in only four stages and five bosses, which where much like Sonic's levels. However in latter games, Sonic Heros, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Soinc the Hedgehog (PS3 & XBox 360) he really came into his own. He has got destroutive powers that no character has. It was also interesting how his birth was for some evil alien scheme to invade Earth. Like I said the "emo" thing has no support at all, with Amy one can say she is a stalker and no one would complain because there are so many scenes supporting that opinion that it is pretty much a fact. If someone's reasoning is that he is dark, well that is a crudy stariotype because he lives in the element of darkness, not the pain and suffering that some thing darkness is. (reality is not) Some say he's emo because Maria died, well dud, I'm sorry you never had someone you cared about die, but as sad as he was he want to kill people rather than cutting himself, he is strong willed unlike real emo people. Other say he is emo because he thought too much of the past... well I think that would happen to anybody who forgot everything execpt a memory where someone died in front of their eyes. If that was me I would want answers. Some of you want to boot him off because you think he threatens Sonic's popularity, so you say negitive things about him that are not even close to the truth. I'm voting for him because he needs the boost and I don't thing anyone would be dumb enough to vote Sonic off. (If it was me I would keep all the Hedgehogs *just look at my sig*, and I'm not talking about Amy)

Now Blaze. She is a great female character don't get me wrong. She is the best female character out of the bunch, and has a Super Form. Other than her it's Sonic, Tail, Knuckles, Shadow, and Silver. And I love her power to control fire. So you would ask then why the hell would I vote her off? Well when you think of how I feel about it, it will make sence, you don't have to agree just understand. The thing is it's not her character (design, atitude, and powers) but it is about her character. I'm voting her off because, where the hell is Sega taking Blaze anyway? I mean they have a great character and some plot hole appears out of nowhere. You would understand better if you guys have played Sonic Rush and Sonic the Hedgehog. In her first appearance she was a princess from an alternet world with her own set of emeralds, then when she reappears in Sonic the Hedgehog she is friends with Silver and from the future. The FUTURE! They had her in another world and now she is from the future. That is just confusing, and with the Sonic Rush sequal coming out, Sonic Rush Adventure (with Blaze appearing), I don't think that is going to help. Is only one Blaze real, or are they both real. Two Blazes, and people compained that Shadow and Silver are clones, what a joke. So the plot around her fails and from the looks of it they are not going to have an explaintion any time soon.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:48 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Every game needs some kind of comic relief, and for me, that comes in the form of Eggman (or Tails, depending on the circumstances). Seeing a guy build these massive machines only to have them smashed time and time again by Sonic shows not only humor (in its own little way), but also persistence. It takes a lot to try again knowing that he'll fail anyway - and that's why I find him funny. Not to mention being round and being astronaut-qualified. That's got to count for something.

Now Omega...Don't get me wrong here, I find Omega to be a great character. Unfortunately, he's almost virtually identical to Gamma. They could have played each other's roles quite well, but Gamma came first and thus means a bit more to me than Omega. Despite the reason I like the word 'Omega', having an almost identical copy of something is somewhat...unnecessary to me. (Not like Sonic/Shadow/Silver, they have larger deviations between each other than the robots.)

- DNA

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Now Omega...Don't get me wrong here, I find Omega to be a great character. Unfortunately, he's almost virtually identical to Gamma. They could have played each other's roles quite well, but Gamma came first and thus means a bit more to me than Omega. Despite the reason I like the word 'Omega', having an almost identical copy of something is somewhat...unnecessary to me. (Not like Sonic/Shadow/Silver, they have larger deviations between each other than the robots.)

- DNA

Well he is an E-100 series robot, meaning their forms, build would be similar. Gamma may have been the first playable robot, but in the game he first appeared in there are other robots with similar looks because they are the E-100 series. If Omega didn't look similar to Gamma while being a E-100 robot, would be out of place.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:56 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I know. My point was that they didn't have to make two of the robots to be equally (or somewhat equally) prominent characters. I know the whole 100 series story.

- DNA

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:01 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Has anyone in this thread even played Sonic Rush?

Blaze / Shadow

GK's post made absolutely no sense. Yes, she's from the future, but that's why you're voting her off? Don't even compare her "Sonic Next Gen" character with the Sonic Rush one, because Sonic Next Gen is considered one of the worse games in 2006 and therefore doesn't count.

I don't see any plot holes with her character. I used to hate Blaze, ask anyone on IRC. When you battle her with Sonic, I thought "Yay! I get to beat the crap out of her!" It wasn't until I saw her ending to Sonic Rush that I built my respect for her. She's cursed with her power, that's why shes so emo and "withdrawn." Sure, she's an emo kitty, but I see more originality in her design and personality than Shadow. Plus, Super Blaze is awesome. I can't wait to buy Sonic Rush Adventure, although I don't think that'll happen anytime soon, since I have to replace my broken DS / I don't really know what else to say expect a Sonic clone with a "omg dark emo punk attitude!!!1"

For those who haven't played Sonic Rush (or saw the ending), here's what Super Blaze looks like:

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Krisp... From where I stand you are sounding mean. I don't mean to flame anyone but my reasons have facts, truth that can't be broken by opinion. Your opinion is that Sonic Next Gen is so bad (which is "your" opinion) that it shouldn't be counted, but wheather you like it or not it is an offical Sonic game and that fact shots down your opinion. My reasons are just and make sence. Other than how you like the character, your first part of that post was the thing that made "no sence." The thing is that there are "TWO" Blazes that bother me. I don't mind if she comes from the future or from another world, it's just it has to be one or another. With Silver you know he is from the future, but with those who played Sonic Rush then Soinc Next Gen, one would be confused on how Blaze is. So how can you counter that? Like I said facts shot down opinions, you can't have an opinion supported by an opinion (what you have), you have to have an opinion supported by facts. (what I have) I mean you can't have someone look up at the sky on a clear sunny day and say that in their opinion the sky is green because fact proves that the sky is blue. And to even think that she was emo, just because she is a loner type people have to use incorrect terms as emo.

DNA... how then you say the look the same?
I mean Gamma is tall, rounded sphere-like body, with long arms and legs, and with one hand and a gun. His build is more for long range attacks and is not much of a close range fighter.
Omega is shorter than Gamma, having a cylinder-shaped body. His arms are not as long but they are thick and built for power. He isn't built much for speed which Gamma could easliy top. Omega's hand are like claws which could help in climbing if Sega lets him do that. For weapons he has machine guns, flamethrowers, missle launcher, and even lazers. His build allows for both close and long range combat.
So I'm a little confused as to how you think they are equal, I mean the E-100 series thing is a justified cause, but other than that I lack to see the similarity that you see that is different then the series thing.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:21 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Shadow is one of the cooler characters introduced. First off, he's one of two (three?) actually main characters who ever died (there are about 100, I know, but nvm that). He also has cool hair, and he's a master of the Chaos Emerald's powers. He gets the uber-cool Air Shoes, and makes Knuckles go to shame by picking up buses and all as a show of strength. Pretty much, Shadow gets all the good stuff and the awesome personality.

Now to Sonic... have you ever noticed how most of the time, Sonic isn't really the main character? For example, the main character in SA2 was Shadow, but they made it look like it was all about Sonic. In Sonic Adventure, we see Sonic being cool and all, when really Chaos and Tikal were the ones who the story revolved around. Also, he seems to make the worst choices. He's all macho but he's scared of water. Also, in Sonic Adventure, TAILS (that's right, Tails) got more respect from in-game (and some outgame) characters/peoples/humans/things. And, let's face it, when has Sonic ever come up with a brilliant plan? Almost never. He got a lot of credit in the shows, but it was soon TAILS (again, Tails) who made all the brilliant moves. I could probably go on and on, but by now you should know I hate Sonic's guts.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:18 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Immunity: Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Cream the Rabbit
Boot: E-123 Omega

Last edited by pelligargetic on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:35 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
I've never been a huge fan of the Sonic series, but I like Knuckles. He's like Shadow with the crappy emo bits removed. Also, he can punch and glide in the Advance games, which is a far better record than *say* Amy with her inability to even spin.

The Chao minigame in Sonic Advance was annoying and tedious. Good thing you didn't have to play it. but meh.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well Shadow is safe, for now, then my choices are...

Big/Blaze

Big is the calm peacefull and most relaxed character in the series. He isn't the one to take action unless it is called for, you have got to respect that. His use of a fishing rod for battle is cool. In his levels in Sonic Adventure the fishing for Froggy is a nice slow pace from the main speed things in the game. Big may appear not as bright, but he seems smart.

For Blaze it is the same reason as before, her story line is flawed with having one Blaze from another world and another from the future. It doesn't seem as if they would explain this turn of events.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:04 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

DNA wrote:
Shadow may be essentially just a copy of Sonic, but he's more than that. He has his own story behind him, elaborating on his mysterious past. He also strives to be better than Sonic in every way, whatever the cost. In essence, he's a lot more than just some cheap copy - he's like Sonic's polar opposite; each completes the other.

I get the feeling that Tikal is just mere filler material. She was used in the sealing away of Chaos and the power of the Master Emerald. And what else? Not much else really. Silver may be a new character, but his background has become more and more developed. Tikal appears to be just one of those characters who are just created and never elaborated upon, just left to sit there and say that he/she exists.

- DNA

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:03 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Chaos is just plain awesome. He can transform into a pool of sludge (or something) and disappear. He has the most awesome forms ever (Perfect Chaos anyone?) and he looks cool all the time.

Big is kinda, weird... I mean, he uses a fishing rod, he's fat, he doesn't even abuse his oversizedness to crush enemies, he speaks funny, and he's obsessed over a frog. Not to mention he can't take hits even though he has so much fat... he's just a filler, in my opinion, he never played a Big(stupid unintentional puns) part in the series.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:51 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I really like Vector. He's a strong leader, but still so goofy. He's intelligent and strong enough to lead a group of successful detectives, yet he still has that childlike wonder. He also is always wearing headphones, which is cool because I like music a lot, and I also read somewhere that he is slightly religious, which in my mind, also puts him in a mature light. I also like his gold chain and black shoes.

His ninja attitude is annoying. It's all he talks about, it's all he acts on, it's 100% of his personality. Having a fascination with ninjas is fine, but this dude has an OBSESSION.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:49 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

My favorite is Sonic. The guy can run at sonic speed, he beats up bad guys for a living, and when he's around 7 emeralds he turn golden and can survive any attack (including nuclear bombs. VERY useful). {typhlosion} {garchomp} {latios}

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:52 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

My favorite is Sonic. The guy can run at sonic speed, he beats up bad guys for a living, and when he's around 7 emeralds he turn golden and can survive any attack (including nuclear bombs. VERY useful).

^Technically, that's not even a proper EC vote. Take the time to read Pelli's quote below:

pelligargetic wrote:
Your votes must have sufficient reasoning, or they won't be counted. Take some time to think about just why you dis/like the character.

Insufficient Answer wrote:

Sonic/Tails
He's overrated/Rated perfectly plus isn't blue.

Sufficient Answer wrote:

Espio/Emerl
I really like how serious he stays throughout all situations; he's the only calm one of the Chaotix, so he pretty much keeps the x from being a c. :p I like his use of ninja skills and camouflage, I feel they were a nice addition to the Sonic series, and he's deep voice put me under a spell sometimes. / I feel that the addition of a customizable robot into the sonic series was tacky. Hearing him stutter over and over again was annoying in Sonic Battle, and being able to absorb so many powers at once made him feel overpowered. Sure, he's customizable, but I don't want to feel like I should never use any of the normal characters.

Capische? I want to know WHY you like these characters. And yes, I know I've been victim to this before, which is why I am going to change now, too, along with you. I will post my vote and reasons later, the new, better way.

...thank you very much. - DNA

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:06 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Is a kitty, and I liek kitties enough to vote for him even though I've never played a game with Big in it. :3 / Robots fail, especially in Sonic games unless they're regular enemies (and by that I mean Badniks).

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:12 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Immunity: Knuckles the Echidna, Shadow the Hedgehog, Vector the Crocodile, Chaos, Big the Cat
Boot: E-102 Gamma, Tikal the Echidna, Chao, Espio the Chameleon, Blaze the Cat

Sonic/Marine

I really like Sonic, he's my favorite character in the series (not counting OVA Tails). I like his witty, sarcastic, cool guy attitude, and he's usually the funnest character to play as. In fact, if it weren't for Sonic's levels (Sonic's, not Sonic's and Shadow's), then the only reason I wouldn't completely through SA2:B into the horrible pile woud be because of Chao garden. Actually, it is Sonic's levels and Chao garden alone that lead me to love the game so much. Sonic is so carefree and funloving, yet so respectable.

I don't know Marine, even though I'd like to buy "her" game. She's another example of what's wrong with the Sonic series: there aren't too many characters, it's just that the newer characters get too much focus, and put the older, more significant characters out of the spotlight. Apparently she has an Australian accent and is 8 years old, which seems like it would be annoying to me. And despite the fact that she's our first raccoon, she really doesn't bring diversity to the series, looks or personality-wise.

Last edited by pelligargetic on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:13 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

DNA wrote:
Shadow may be essentially just a copy of Sonic, but he's more than that. He has his own story behind him, elaborating on his mysterious past. He also strives to be better than Sonic in every way, whatever the cost. In essence, he's a lot more than just some cheap copy - he's like Sonic's polar opposite; each completes the other.

She may not be filler like Tikal, but she's another one of those "just there" characters. She is mostly a supporter, and pops up from time to time to help out, but she's a secret agent with loyalty issues. If she's supposed to serve the government (and I don't think that extends beyond Sonic Battle or lolSonicX), then why does she take a "tip" from jewels stores she steals from? Besides, I don't see any correlation between bats, the government, or jewel thieves.
Ok, scratch my first comment. She is just filler. Urgh, another one.

- DNA

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:32 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Shadow is a dark and bad ass guy. Like DNA said, he was originaly a copy of Sonic but in the newer games he developed his own skills and powers that Sonic lacks. He is skilled in the means of weaponry from guns to swords, and using the powers of the Chaos Emerald to use Chaos Control and Chaos Blast. The whole 'Shadow is emo' thing has to stop, it is a weak opinion that is not supported at all. In the Sonic Next Gen, Shadow now works as a government agent. This gives him a bit of a James Bond kind of touch, working in secret using special government tools. The fact that he is part if an evil alien race adds to his character, for his Black Arms blood gave him a hard time choosing between saving the world and destroying it.

Groudon King wrote:
Cream is a nice girl but not really up to appearing in the main storyline in any Sonic games as a playable character. The only thing she has going for her is her Chao, Cheese, which can kill anything in one tackle *excluding bosses.* Now as cool as a kick butt Chao is, that only lowers her value as a playable character since she can't really do much for herself. She can fly but the way she flies has already been done. *cough*Dumbo*cough*

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:44 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next