hip-hop or rock 
Fails at life
Fails at life

wich 1 is better :?:

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I personally prefer Rock. Rapping is most generally speaking to a synchronised beat, whereas Rock actually takes some instrumental skills. Rock simply has a better sound, takes much more talent, and most of all - there's much more passion channelled into the music.

All in all, I much prefer Metal, though.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:02 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I personally prefer Rock. Rapping is most generally speaking to a synchronised beat, whereas Rock actually takes some instrumental skills. Rock simply has a better sound, takes much more talent, and most of all - there's much more passion channelled into the music.

I agree with this, although I think there's a lot of instrumental skill/s needed for Rock music or anything really that's not Rap; Dance or Hip Hop.
Also, I think a lot of Rap makes no sense at all. Seriously, I've read lyrics of Rap songs and some are just plain crazy.
Rock music's got so much more meaning to the lyrics. That's why I'm not keen on Indie-Rock either - because some songs are about nothing; they can be fun or funny and pretty random but I love my Rock songs to have meaningful lyrics. And of course, to make sense :D.

Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Also, I think a lot of Rap makes no sense at all.

CharmedJoey wrote:
Rock songs to have meaningful lyrics. And of course, to make sense :D.

Winner.

Would you rather listen to an emotion-torn middle aged 'gansta' talk in slight rhyme about his awful life to a dodgy beat or rhythm in the background, or the awetomic sound of electric guitars speed strumming to a skillful drum solo inbetween clauses of insanely pleasurable chords?

I think the answer is obvious here.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:17 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Having said all that, I think I'd rather listen to
Kryten wrote:
"an emotion-torn middle aged 'gansta' talk in slight rhyme about his awful life to a dodgy beat or rhythm in the background."

Indeed ;)

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:42 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't like where this thread is going. I like some of both, and I don't like some songs from both genres. Also, opinionated much?

Quote:
insanely pleasurable chords

Maybe I'm listening to the wrong music, but I don't like to hear three distorted power chords through four minutes of someone yelling into a microphone destroying their voice.

Quote:
about his awful life to a dodgy beat or rhythm

Maybe I'm listening to the wrong music, but I don't hear anything dodgy about the drum beats. They're great to practice to, they always hit the snare on the upbeats and the bass on the downbeats, and maybe mixing it up a bit. There's nothing dodgy about that. Have you even listened to hip-hop? They're not talking about their awful life at all.

Quote:
Rock simply has a better sound

Oh really? I don't like your opinion either.

Quote:
there's much more passion channeled into the music

Why don't you go listen to every single 'rap' song, every single 'rock' song, and then form an opinion, your own image, and listen to some good, soulful music. Or make your own! You can't say anything about 'skill level' involved in an entire genre unless you yourself have defined and created that genre.

Try listening to the music that isn't on T.V. every once in a while, you might hear something original, something not being created to be sold. Then feel free to form your own opinion. Before that, though, you have NO RIGHT to make generalizations about an ENTIRE MUSICAL GENRE. Get off of my boards.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Calm down, the question is asking for people's opinon and that is what some people's opinion is, just like that's yours and no one else has started 'yelling' and getting worked up about it.
The Hip Hop/Rap/R 'N' B music where myself and Kryten live is listened to by people who have a very negative attitude and who tend to be horrible to everyone else, not just verbally but in a "I'll stab you/beat you up/shoot you/kill you" way.
Of course, not everyone here who loves that kind of music has an attitude like that, but a lot do. I'm scared to go out my door alone a lot of the time; when I'm walking back from my friend's house, (who only lives 3 minutes walk away), each night I think "This is the night". I'm just waiting for some Chavs to attack or rob me. One idiot came over; started shouting then just punched my best friend once when we were sat on a field resting after football and it could have been worse but I lost my temper and I think I scared them away. Luckily, most of these people are just talk.

That aside, I think the English version of Hip Hop or whatever is different to America's and maybe other countries, because honestly - on the radio and on T.V. 'n' in shops - I've never heard a Hip Hop song with drums, but I would be happy to listen if I found one - although I know I still wouldn't like the song, I might be able to compliment the drum beat.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:13 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

lK;LKOS2EKPOWEKFDPOKpokdspoaksdpo[pwpeql.

What I just typed was more accurate than a lot of what's been said in this thread, and I don't even like hip hop music.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:16 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Calm down, the question is asking for people's opinon and that is what some people's opinion is, just like that's yours and no one else has started 'yelling' and getting worked up about it.
The Hip Hop/Rap/R 'N' B music where myself and Kryten live is listened to by people who have a very negative attitude and who tend to be horrible to everyone else, not just verbally but in a "I'll stab you/beat you up/shoot you/kill you" way.
Of course, not everyone here who loves that kind of music has an attitude like that, but a lot do. I'm scared to go out my door alone a lot of the time; when I'm walking back from my friend's house, (who only lives 3 minutes walk away), each night I think "This is the night". I'm just waiting for some Chavs to attack or rob me. One idiot came over; started shouting then just punched my best friend once when we were sat on a field resting after football and it could have been worse but I lost my temper and I think I scared them away. Luckily, most of these people are just talk.

That aside, I think the English version of Hip Hop or whatever is different to America's and maybe other countries, because honestly - on the radio and on T.V. 'n' in shops - I've never heard a Hip Hop song with drums, but I would be happy to listen if I found one - although I know I still wouldn't like the song, I might be able to compliment the drum beat.

Since when is R&B about "stabbing and killing people"? Majority of R&B is about love, thank you. L O V E.

Don't say stupid things.

And wowee I voted for Hip Hop. Because I like it better. Because the lyrics are more meaningful to me than what I hear in rock music, and so is the sound.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Without meaning to argue, I think you need to read again and you "don't say stupid things". I didn't say R 'N' B is "about stabbing and killing people". I said the people here who listen to that kind of music tend to be the people who have a "I'll stab you", etc, attitude.
Read carefully in future.
It seems neither you or the other person who have gotten worked up over a simple discussion have noticed that it's you - the R 'N' B liking people - that are getting so worked up. Just calm down, these are only people's opinions and everyone's entitled to their own.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:05 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Try listening to the music that isn't on T.V. every once in a while, you might hear something original, something not being created to be sold. Then feel free to form your own opinion. Before that, though, you have NO RIGHT to make generalizations about an ENTIRE MUSICAL GENRE.

Actually, I listen to a lot of music that isn't on the television (I despise most of the music played frequently on television/radio). I'd never meant to make generalisations about the entire genre, but the majority of rap artists are in it for money. There are a few respectable rappers, though.

Benjamin wrote:
Cal wrote:

Okay, I admit that I was biased on that statement.

Benjamin wrote:
Get off of my boards.

YOUR boards?

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:10 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Benjamin wrote:
Cal wrote:

Okay, I admit that I was biased on that statement.

So? Lol, you only gave your opinion, that's all this question is asking for - people's opinion. Some are just getting too bothered about nothing. No offense intended to anyone.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]