It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I started the book last Monday and finished yesterday. A breathtaking tale. I do hope however that J.K. goes into writing about the children. Yes it is the end for Harry's time and now it is time for the epiglouge children to take the spotlight. It was great how the snake died, Neville drew the sword from the hat and sliced the head straight off. Though I do wonder about the sword, I mean the goblin had it so how did he drew the sword? And did Griffindor steal the sword from the goblins? The whole deal with the Elder Wand was confusing though :?. I mean wands can change their masters if the wand was taken from the previous one, but in the case of the Elder Wand doesn't the previous owner have to die at the hands of the new owner? When Albus Dumbledore got the wand, he didn't kill the last owner, and Draco became owner of it when he took the wand from Dumbledore's hand but did not kill him, and Harry became the owner when he took away Draco's wand from him. But in order to get the true power of the Elder Wand the last owner has to die so how did they gain it's powers if the people did not die? I am disappointed on which people died in the end. I really felt bad for Snape, he gave Harry his memories so that Harry can see the true about him and what Harry must do. If Severus did not call Lily a Mudblood that one time what would have happened to them? The story of the three bothers where most interesting part of the book. Did they really meet Death, or did they create the Deathly Hallows with their own powers? Overall great to the every end and a happy ending for most of them.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:59 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

It was great how the snake died, Neville drew the sword from the hat and sliced the head straight off. Though I do wonder about the sword, I mean the goblin had it so how did he drew the sword? And did Griffindor steal the sword from the goblins?

Neville got it the same way that Harry did in the first place, it came out of the Sorting Hat to help a true Griffindor. It probably disappeared from wherever Griphook had it, to appear out of the hat.
Whether Griffindor stole it or not would probably depend on if you asked a human or a goblin. The Human would say he bought it, the goblin would say he paid to borrow it, and thus any other human who claims it has stolen it.

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:07 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I was actually dissapointed with the book (and not because I didn't anticipate the ending, :P )

It was mainly because it was all so randomly ordered. It was a bit like:

Walk around a bit, thinking about horcruxes.
Get some random lead.
Fall into a trap.
Get out again, miraculously.
Walk around a bit more.
Another lead.
Fall into another trap.
Get out thanks to some random elf showing up and saving the day.

That, and I hated the ending. There was no amazing plot twist, save for Snape's revalation that DDore wanted him to kill him, and even then, most of the world had worked that one out.

And the epilogue, do not get me started on the epilogue. There were so many people I wanted to know about, all these events that had happened and I wanted to know how each one was after it all.

I suppose she did it because she had one of two choices:

1) Do something major, satisfy a few, piss off a lot.

2) DO something plain, like she did, satisfy everyone, to an extent, and piss off no one.

No. 2 was clearly her option. I wasn't wholly satisfied with the book, but I'm not crying over how bad it was. (Not that it was bad, but I'm just describing the extent to how some people I know of reacted.)

And on reflection, what was all the hype really about? I mean, in terms of plot, it was 'good,' but by no means breathtaking. Her literary devices are limited to what I would study at GCSE, and some of her side plots seemed rushed (like where the hell did Ron and Hermione's relationship come from?! It was as if she thought, 'Better satisfy the fan girls,' and added it in afterwards.)

[/rant]

Other than that, I liked it. :P

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:30 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The book was rather enjoyable even those somethings really didn't matter, and something people already guested what would happen, like we all honestly saw, Harry dying and a whole lot of other things.
Out of the whole thing the only two things that bothered me were...

1) snape died.WTF! honestly!
2) THIS BOOK LEAVES ROOM FOR MORE!!

and by number two i mean, the reason she ended it with alot of pplz dying was to advoid anyone using the character and such but she leaves a HUGE! gap between their last year at hogwarts and when they have kids...like seriously!

Eon wrote:

1) How Draco was the master of the Elder Wand. Is it because he was supposed to kill Dumbledore?

OKay i know in the book they didn't say it but they implied it, when snape 'killed' dumbledore he supposively took Dracos wand and thus the wand choose the master so, the wand says Draco killed dumbledore and thus making him the master of the elder wand.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:59 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

like where the hell did Ron and Hermione's relationship come from?!

You did not see that coming? I knew they would have something a while ago sometime before the seventh book.

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:
That, and I hated the ending. There was no amazing plot twist, save for Snape's revalation that DDore wanted him to kill him, and even then, most of the world had worked that one out.

I think the thing with Snape and Dumbledore was the plot twist. And how could the world work that out? Snape killing Dumbledore makes the world think he is bad, and there was no clues in the other books to point the over way.

Alucard~Itachi wrote:
people already guested what would happen, like we all honestly saw, Harry dying and a whole lot of other things.

Well, yes people saw Harry dying, but I'm still confuse on how he came back to life as it was. Even though he died was it Riddles soul that left the body keeping Harry alive, or was it some other kind of magic?

Alucard~Itachi wrote:
Out of the whole thing the only two things that bothered me were...

1) snape died.WTF! honestly!
2) THIS BOOK LEAVES ROOM FOR MORE!!

Snape dying wasn't a real surprise. You didn't think that would happen? Frankly I would be stunned if Snape lived in the very end. And how do you mean that the book leaves room for more? Does it bother you that J.K. might make a new book, or that if it is the very end that it ends where there could be more?

Alucard~Itachi wrote:
OKay i know in the book they didn't say it but they implied it, when snape 'killed' dumbledore he supposively took Dracos wand and thus the wand choose the master so, the wand says Draco killed dumbledore and thus making him the master of the elder wand.

That still doesn't support how Draco got the Elder Wand. This book talks as if the wands are alive in a sence. So how could Draco be the master, if it was Snape that killed Dumbledore when the wand would have known that Snape would have killed Dumbledore not Draco?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:55 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:

You did not see that coming? I knew they would have something a while ago sometime before the seventh book.

I expected it to come about, as I imagine Rowling wanted to satisfy her fangirls to a certain extent, but there was little in the previous books to even suggest that they had a relationship going.

Quote:

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:

I think the thing with Snape and Dumbledore was the plot twist. And how could the world work that out? Snape killing Dumbledore makes the world think he is bad, and there was no clues in the other books to point the over way.

Well, I for one worked it out. The scene in the sixth book was obvious (after some thought) that the words, "Severus, please.." uttered by Dumbledore, were not the words of a weak man, wishing to live. Everyone knew Dumbledore would embrace death (as he stated himself that death was the next great journey, so how could it be that he would beg his murderer to spare his life? How is it that Dumbledore would stoop this low?

There were massive fan sites like Mugglenet that had long since foretold of this, so it's not a case of 'how could the world work that out," because many of those (including myself) had already anticipated this.

I think my opinion has also been influenced by my year doing A level. Where I had spent the whole year picking apart bits of fiction, I found that Rowling just wasn't on par with great literary classics such as Austen, or Frazier. This resulted in me looking for devices that she just didn't use, and this could be why I was so dissapointed with the final book.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:28 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Well, yes people saw Harry dying, but I'm still confuse on how he came back to life as it was. Even though he died was it Riddles soul that left the body keeping Harry alive, or was it some other kind of magic?[/quote]

Yeah that kinda confused me too, i just kinda figured it was Voldemort soul in front and Harry's in the back so when he died Voldemorts soul took the blow.

Groudon King wrote:

Snape dying wasn't a real surprise. You didn't think that would happen? Frankly I would be stunned if Snape lived in the very end. And how do you mean that the book leaves room for more? Does it bother you that J.K. might make a new book, or that if it is the very end that it ends where there could be more?[/quote]

I wasn't surprised that Snape died, it was just I found it really unnecessary, And what i mean by leaves more was this was the finaly book, J.K said she being doing no more on Harry, on hogwarts yes, but none on harry and his friends so why leave such a huge gap if she didn't want anyone to use the character, which she said was her plan and why she killed off so many characters.

Groudon King wrote:

That still doesn't support how Draco got the Elder Wand. This book talks as if the wands are alive in a sence. So how could Draco be the master, if it was Snape that killed Dumbledore when the wand would have known that Snape would have killed Dumbledore not Draco?

The wand is bound to it's master and only one master, so if it was draco wand, the wand thinks draco is the one using it, so hence forth the elder wand thinks draco killed him, but didn't so Draco is it's proper owner and he doesn't even know it. at least thats whats been explained...

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:12 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007- ... 912905.htm

ahaha, the truth at last :shock:

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-10/20/content_6912905.htm

ahaha, the truth at last :shock:

In b4 people complain about the whole series being ruined for them. ;/

Did she reveal anything else besides that? Anything new?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

spoilers and stuff

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:24 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

*Long post and a link to the English book's cover below*

poplers wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
What I want to know is where Ron and Hermione got their kids names from. Hugo and Rose?

:lol:

Well, there is a theory, the first one isn't that much of a stretch, but the second one is.
1. Hugo: After Victor Hugo, writer of many books, Hermione, being a well informed muggle, would probably know of his works. Also, could be tied up with Victor Krum.
2. Rose: Well, Ron did date someone named Lavender Brown, both colors, Rose is a color... <---stretched one. :/

It's kind of annoying how people complain, or state, that the names of Harry and Ginny's children are predictable and then question Ron and Hermione's being called 'Hugo' and 'Rose' because they don't know where those names have "come from".

pokeduder wrote:
I liked how mrs.weasley screamed at bellatrix before she killed her

such language

I loved that part. The one thing that always annoyed me in the Harry Potter books is the fact that most of the main characters are teenagers and they're in at least one life-or-death situation a year, plus exciting and scary events, such as Quidditch games, yet they never swear or are crude in the slightest! So I thought it was great when Ron was angry at Harry and told him to "P*ss off" one time and then this part in the last book. I know it's a fantasy book for all ages but realistically, almost every teenager swears these days, no matter what their background is.
If I was facing Voldemort or someone I thought was evil, especially if they'd killed someone I loved, I know exactly what I'd being yelling at them, (and it would all be censored on this site).

Groudon King wrote:
I do hope however that J.K. goes into writing about the children.

Didn't J.K. recently say she's not planning to write any other books at least for the moment? Probably because she can't be a*sed now she has all the money from H.P. She's actually suing someone from a Harry Potter site for something or another, yet she says she takes "no pleasure" in doing so, so if she's doing it only in the interest of protecting her rights then I hope that if she wins this case, she gives any money she gets to charity.

DragonDaithi wrote:

The Movies are okay it's just they fail in comparision to the books.
I dread to think how they'll mangle the next movies I mean they cut the big talk between Dubledore and Harry at the end of book 5 down to a few lines for crying out loud.
Plus I don't think the actor that plays Potter suits the role in books 6 and 7.

Well thats my two cent.

I completely agree. I've yet to see the latest movie because I can't afford to but I've always thought that of every actor and actress who stars in the Harry Potter films, Daniel Radcliffe is one of the worst. I don't know if he can act in anything else, this might be the case, but I know I'm not the only one who things he's all wrong for playing Harry Potter. Some parts are O.K. but the serious scenes? I have no idea how he's going to do six and seven. Honestly, I'm not sure I even want to see them because I'm afraid he'll spoil them completely.
And it's not just him but, like DragonDaithi mentioned, how are they going to fit everything in? I know obviously everything can't be in it but there's not a lot of events in the last book, at least, that aren't important and so it'll be really hard for them to decide what's cut out.

Groudon King wrote:
I really felt bad for Snape, he gave Harry his memories so that Harry can see the true about him and what Harry must do.

Quite a few people have said they feel bad for Snape when he dies but I don't understand why - he's one of the heroes in the books and I've always loved his character. (I think the guy who plays Snape in the films is brilliant.) If I were to feel sorry for his character in the book for any reason, it would be because of how much he evidently loved Lily, but it was really sweet - in a slightly disturbing way - how he looked into Harry's eyes as he died.

Alucard~Itachi wrote:
and by number two i mean, the reason she ended it with alot of pplz dying was to advoid anyone using the character and such but she leaves a HUGE! gap between their last year at hogwarts and when they have kids...like seriously!

Lol, what do you want - their whole lives to be covered? Of course it went from this to that, like in some movies and programmes, it's a sort of "... years later", in order for us to see how things were then and how they ended up. Plus, it ends with their children going to Hogwarts and the adults saying goodbye to them at the station, which I think is fitting.

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:
Groudon King wrote:
The Obsidian Wolf wrote:

I expected it to come about, as I imagine Rowling wanted to satisfy her fangirls to a certain extent, but there was little in the previous books to even suggest that they had a relationship going.

I can't believe out of everything you predicted, you never saw Ron and Hermione's relationship; it was one of the main things everyone always talked about. Though I suppose it's like in programmes such as 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' - when I was watching the commentary on one of the discs, the writers said that people had wrote to them at the time complaining about Willow "suddenly" becoming a l*sbian and having a girlfriend, but it was obvious for a long time and from the moment she met Tara that this was where it was heading. The same with Xena and Gabrielle in the show 'Xena the Warrior Princess'.
Why did you think Hermione was jealous of Lavender; Ron was jealous of Krum, etc?

Sparrow wrote:

In b4 people complain about the whole series being ruined for them. ;/

Did she reveal anything else besides that? Anything new?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

spoilers and stuff

I just looked at that and what the H*ll? Neville marries Hannah Abbot? I think he should have married Luna, lol. (Does anyone know what happened to her? I don't remember if the book mentioned it or not.)

Overall, despite a death that I feel was unnecessary and having to re-read some pages a few times, I loved this book.
I gaily cried when Dobby; Hedwig; Fred; Tonks and Lupin died. I didn’t mind Dobby dying as much because he was saving them; I didn’t mind Tonks and Lupin dying as much because of the thought that they could be together in death, (and neither were left alone), and I suppose that Hedwig’s death could signify Harry becoming more of an adult, (as he got Hedwig when he first found out that he was a wizard and before his first year at Hogwarts but in this book he has left the school; he would be in his final year anyway and he ends the battle that ultimately started when Voldemort first came to power, then when he tried to kill Harry as a baby). However, I was really disappointed by Fred’s death because he left his twin and I think if any Weasley should have died, it should have been Charlie because we never really heard that much about him, other than his work with dragons, etc. Before Percy regained his senses and came to help in the fight, I would have said him.
The other main thing that really bothered me about this last book is that, despite readers learning Neville’s profession as an adult, (which I was happy about, even if it was predictable), we don’t actually get to know what Harry; Ron’s and Ginny’s profession is, or Hermione’s, (I don’t recall). I know it would be strange for the book to randomly say it when they were saying goodbye to their children at the station, but I had thought, and hoped, that J.K. would have fit it in somewhere, considering the times Harry had mentioned he wanted to be an Auror, (and other people had said it about Harry), and then Ron had decided he wanted to be one too. And I would have liked to have seen Hermione’s brain put to use, (e.g. she could have been an Alchemist), and perhaps Ginny’s Quidditch skills being used in her profession, (for example, she could have had, and played in, her own professional team).
I’m not bothered that this would have been predictable or that the ending was predictable, (with Harry and Ginny having kids and Ron and Hermione having kids), because there has to be satisfaction for the readers and, of course, a happy ending. And not everything was predictable, like just Crabbe dying, (or was it Goyle?), and, at the end, Malfoy and Harry actually sharing a civilized act between them. Although I have to say, I think I’d probably have let Malfoy burn in that fire.

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:

I think my opinion has also been influenced by my year doing A level. Where I had spent the whole year picking apart bits of fiction, I found that Rowling just wasn't on par with great literary classics such as Austen, or Frazier. This resulted in me looking for devices that she just didn't use, and this could be why I was so dissapointed with the final book.

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:

And on reflection, what was all the hype really about? I mean, in terms of plot, it was 'good,' but by no means breathtaking. Her literary devices are limited to what I would study at GCSE

I think it's safe to say that J.K. Rowling's 'Harry Potter' books have become modern classics. Because of the time that we live in and the time "classics" were previously written, and other factors such as different audiences and genres, you can't really make such a comparison. Every book and every author are completely different and there is something about J.K. Rowling's books that captivate her audience, most of whom, I'm sure, would probably not be interested in the "classics" you mentioned.
I don't know if you're forgetting, but Harry Potter, although it is a book for all ages, was originally meant to be aimed at something like 9 - 11 year olds, therefore the language would be extremely different.
I certainly hope that you aren't implying you could write a book like 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' at the age of 15/16 when you were taking your G.C.S.E's, because I seriously doubt that. (No offense .) :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rincos/439620543/
^ The English cover for the last book. I prefer this to the American version :).

Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4