It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Odd strategy for an odd Pokemon 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

--PREFACE--
I kept 4 of many Mr.Mime hatched on the same day. **The female is Timid and was holding an Everstone.**
3 of the hatched Mimes were Timid, and the 4th was Modest. I took them on WiFi to check max stats, expecting the Modest Mime to be junk. But it turns out that it's defense was 9 points higher and speed was only 3 points lower than the best Timid Mime.

I thought Timid nature would give me a slight speed advantage, but apparently I was wrong. Must be the IVs..

---CHAPTER 1---
So, the question is, would this particular Modest Mime be a good Trick-or-Tormenter if I set it up this way?:
{mr. mime} + Choice Band/Specs/Scarf
Filter
Modest
252 Def 252 Spd 6 HP
Trick
Torment
Substitute
Psychic

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I suggest give it
Timid / Modest and maxed Sp. Atk ; maxed Speed
and Tons of killer type-coverege moves

since it won't last an 2 attacks...

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:57 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Interesting strategy. Try Tricking Choice Specs/Choice Scarf onto a sweeper trying to stat up (like DDmence). That almost guarantees a switch, though - so idk if Torment will work well. Then the idea would be to Sub/CM on the switch and then use STAB CMed Psychic to take down opponents. Alakazam would do that better, though...

Problem with Trick/Torment is that Mime can't take hits well (maybe Trick/Torment a special sweeper so it can Sub on the Struggle turn?) and of course the opponent will most likely choose to switch.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:03 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Interesting strategy. Try Tricking Choice Specs/Choice Scarf onto a sweeper trying to stat up (like DDmence). That almost guarantees a switch, though - so idk if Torment will work well. Then the idea would be to Sub/CM on the switch and then use STAB CMed Psychic to take down opponents. Alakazam would do that better, though...

Also, with said strategy of Tricking onto a stat upper, you might end up allowing Salamence to DDance, then pummel you with a boosted Struggle attack. May not sound like much, but that'll break your Subs pretty quickly.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:26 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sion9 wrote:

Also, with said strategy of Tricking onto a stat upper, you might end up allowing Salamence to DDance, then pummel you with a boosted Struggle attack. May not sound like much, but that'll break your Subs pretty quickly.

I didn't think ahead that far. I figured that I could counter SpSweepers like Starmie and Gengar, whose physical atk wouldn't help Struggle do much damage.
And this could possibly throw a wrench in Skarmory, Blissey, and Weezing plans if they have the wrong move in the 1st slot...

Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, mr.mime has a lot of need baton passing, pseudo passing, and utility style moves.

Forcing a struggle usually takes too many moves and turns to put pressure on just one pokemon.

I mean you can certainly inconvenience a pokemon, but it's not that crippling or hard to switch out of, since mr.mime isn't exactly a major combative threat.

At least that's my take on it.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, mr.mime has a lot of need baton passing, pseudo passing, and utility style moves.

Forcing a struggle usually takes too many moves and turns to put pressure on just one pokemon.

I mean you can certainly inconvenience a pokemon, but it's not that crippling or hard to switch out of, since mr.mime isn't exactly a major combative threat.

Suppose Mean Look is BP'd to Mime, how about then?

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:38 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

FaceLess wrote:

Suppose Mean Look is BP'd to Mime, how about then?
Then you're still taking damage from your opponent everytime they struggle.

In addition, they can still attack every other turn. It's just not a strong combo.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]