It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 When Brawl comes out... 

Will you look online/in a guide to see who you unlock?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 16

When Brawl comes out... 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

In the other Brawl topic we were just talking about who would be in it, so I made this.

When Brawl comes out, do you plan to buy a guide book or look online to see exactly who you can unlock and how to do it?

OR

Will you just play the game and see who you unlock along the way and let it be a surprise?

I really can't answer.

http://obeliskgfx.wordpress.com

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I cannot stress enough how much I hate people that buy a game and then immediately buy a strategy guide without even playing it. For the love of all that is fraggable what is the point in even buying the game if you're just gonna look in a guide? In my opinion the only time you should even consider using a strategy guide is when you reach the point in a game that it is simply impossible to get past no matter what angle you approach it from. Then is the time to consult a guide my friend.

Anyway, now to get back on topic. .... Well I think I've made my decision pretty clear. I'm playing through it and figuring it out myself.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:51 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I'll do what I did for Melee - play through it, unlock as many characters as a I can, then look at a guide. I unlocked Young Link/Dr. Mario/Roy/Marth/Pichu/Jiggly/some other characters without looking at a guide, but for Falco etc. I had to look it up online. Also, I don't buy strategy guides.

Oh...and I used a "guide" to get Ness in SSB. I had no idea you had to go through normal mode without continuing >_>

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm not even going to get a guide at all, unless I "really" need it. I am getting this game on Day One. If not I'll just get it for Christmas then.

Pokemon Pearl FC:2749 9225 9473

Up for a battle anytime! Just PM me.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:29 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i wont get a guide but i will try to find out who is in the game........i will be too anxious!

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:10 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm not gonna get a guide, but MAN will it be tempting to see who is unlockable. I may have to lock up my laptop just to resist.

http://obeliskgfx.wordpress.com

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:07 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: On the left side of the street... Take THAT Society!
Oh...and I used a "guide" to get Ness in SSB. I had no idea you had to go through normal mode without continuing >_>

I was too busy playing the harder two...

With some games I immediately buy the guide, but brawl's a bit different. I'm not going to use the guide, preferably for any of it.

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=bulkywaters <- Go

Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: In your kitchen, holding a knife. And it's not for the vegetables...
I'll probably just go through the game normally and try to unlock as much as possible. When I reach a point in which I can't figure out how to get certain characters, that's when I'll turn to an online guide.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:39 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'll do what I did for Melee - play through it, unlock as many characters as a I can, then look at a guide. I unlocked Young Link/Dr. Mario/Roy/Marth/Pichu/Jiggly/some other characters without looking at a guide, but for Falco etc. I had to look it up online. Also, I don't buy strategy guides.

I second that motion. :)

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:01 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I am gonna get the guide becouse i actualy like looking at the pictures( no i am not a 6 year old) plus it gives me somthin to do while i on the pot. Beside D/P of couse

Plus i not actualy gonna use it. really just or novelty i guess

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Krisp wrote:

I second that motion. :)

thirded...lol

well I just can't resist and I'm gonna look up who's in the game, without, of course finding out how to get them...just a small peek on WHO is in it...just a small one I promise....

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:17 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I cannot stress enough how much I hate people that buy a game and then immediately buy a strategy guide without even playing it. For the love of all that is fraggable what is the point in even buying the game if you're just gonna look in a guide? In my opinion the only time you should even consider using a strategy guide is when you reach the point in a game that it is simply impossible to get past no matter what angle you approach it from. Then is the time to consult a guide my friend.

Anyway, now to get back on topic. .... Well I think I've made my decision pretty clear. I'm playing through it and figuring it out myself.

Amen.

Yes, I think buying a strategy guide and studying it prior to even picking up the controller sucks all the fun and challenge out of the game. People who use guides in this manner are true noobs who want to be held by the hand throughout their adventure...too afraid of the frustation that accompanies a challenge.

Just as 2x4b stated, I consult a guide when I find such an impossible area of the game, or after completing the game to the best of my ability to see if I missed anything. In other words, I use it to truly complete the game.

Case in point: A year and a half ago I got Final Fantasy VIII for my birthday. I was lucky enough to find a brand new copy. I played all the way through to the end, only using a guide once really, at the beginning of Disc 3. This was after spending probably around 10 hrs. (or at least it felt like that) trying to find out what to do next. Upon reading this guide, I discovered that I had missed many things (a few sidequests, etc.), a few of which I could not go back and do. What was more frustrating was learning that once you reach the final area on Disc 4, there is no going back to tie up loose ends (I learned this upon reading the guide again when I had reached the end, again to see if I had missed anything). Now I have reached the final boss with an under-developed party, and they are literally sitting on the boss's doorstep, wondering what to do next. There are so many things I could've benefitted from (getting all the GFs, obtaining each character's strongest weapons, optional boss fights, etc.). I've put nearly 60 hrs. into this game, and now I'm contemplating starting over. The pros: I'll know what to do and where to go, possibly resulting in a (somewhat) shorter completion time. The cons: More time of my life invested into a monster of a game, and those "magical" moments of the game (cutscenes, etc.) won't be so "magical" anymore, having already experienced them.

Now, back to Smash Bros. I remember how fun it was to unlock the SSB:M characters with my friend. I remember when we were looking at each character's profile in the manual. Upon seeing Zelda and Link, we both said, "If Zelda and Link are here, then that can only mean that.....Ganondorf is unlockable too!" And so we darted up to my friend's Gamecube, and our search began. I'll never forget that moment--that feeling of skepticism mingled with hope. That's exactly what Nintendo intended, and that heightens my anticipation.

Bottom line: In Brawl, I will try unlocking as many characters and features as I can on my own. As popular as this game is, I'll eventually learn how to get the rest by word of mouth. Somehow, I'm gonna know, guide or no.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:51 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Part of the fun is popping it in to Wii and being completely surprised at who you unlock once you play through everything at least once then go back and go through again then consult a guide if you missed anyone

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:08 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I would only look at a guide when I have no clue what to do. I just hope that they don't have a secret character that takes a long time to get. (Like Mewtwo in Melee.)

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:30 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I often go into game stores and look at the guides of games I like when I'm bored 'cause it's cool to see what all you can do. I do use guides, but not in the n00b way. Just to give me a push in the right direction. But sometimes I like spoilers...

^^^spongedude made this. He is AWESOME!!

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:42 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I would only look at a guide when I have no clue what to do. I just hope that they don't have a secret character that takes a long time to get. (Like Mewtwo in Melee.)

Mewtwo really doesn't take very long to get. If you have at least 2 controllers, then you can get him in one night. If you have more than that, then you can do it in several hours.

And my opinion is...I don't have a Wii, and I'm not really so hyped about getting one either, so I probably won't get Brawl for quite a few years, if ever. I'll probably play it in Game Club at my school if Vash brings his copy in.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:49 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Groudon King wrote:

Mewtwo really doesn't take very long to get. If you have at least 2 controllers, then you can get him in one night. If you have more than that, then you can do it in several hours.

And my opinion is...I don't have a Wii, and I'm not really so hyped about getting one either, so I probably won't get Brawl for quite a few years, if ever. I'll probably play it in Game Club at my school if Vash brings his copy in.

I do believe it takes a long time. 700 Vs. Matches or 20 hours total. Me and my sister had the game on for over 20 hours so to get the chance to fight Mewtwo to get him. That is a long time.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:32 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Eh, I'm backing the opinion of looking to see who is unlockable, but probably not at how they are unlocked until I do the best I can, and then check the intrawebz.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:23 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

then beat the game in 24 hours and then you cant see then jack it for making you blind haha

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]