It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Musical Stereotypes 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but since we are discussing music, I figured it would be best here. If i'm wrong, please move it to the appropriate area.

Anywho, who else here hates music stereotypes?

Just today, for example, I was listening to some AC-DC in the locker room before our game and somebody walked up and called it "White trash".

Another example : Someone from our team brought a stereo and hooked up their iPod to it. They had been playing rock, but the wanna-be gangsters kept changing it to Rap. Now personally, I can't stand the stuff, but since it seemed to be the popular choice I went with it.

Two of the songs that had been played that noone disagreed or complained about were :

-"Down with the Sickness" by Disturbed
-"Bodies" by Drowning Pool

In between songs, he asked what we wanted to be played. When I said Drowning Pool or Disturbed, someone yelled, "That sh|t's emo!"

I'm sick and tired of hearing my favorite bands being called 'emo' just because someone is unfamiliar with them.

What do you think?

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I hate them, but those kind of things aren't too bad in my town.

http://obeliskgfx.wordpress.com

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

People at school (and others too OMG WHO?) call me a homosexual because I enjoy listening to mainstream music :o

and guess what, I don't give a **** - and neither should you. If that's the music you enjoy, sing it out loud, otherwise we'd all be listening to the same boring stuff. Dare to be different :)

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Fails at life
Fails at life

wait til you get to college, the stereotypes aren't so bad.
the only one i've ever had as an indie rapper/ graffiti writer, is that i'm supposed to smoke a **** of pot.
i don't.
i bump atmosphere, aesop rock, sage francis, eyedea, optimus rhyme, cage kennylz, etc. and chill out in painting studios working with brushes, or laying ink on stickers.
it's implied that indie kids smoke pot, and that graff writers do too, so, as both... well... you know.
but once i got to college, it wasn't as bad.
more people know what i'm listening too, and get that i just want to make art. they might think i smoke, but it's not vocalized "oh, he writes, he smokes.. it's cool" or "indie hip hop? you gotta light??"
now i only get asked for a cigarette if i'm hanging out where people leave the building.
but they ask everyone there.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]