It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:11 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Help on in game team. 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I restarted fire red and need team suggestions. Not really rated because of all the limits, like no TMs or egg moves, or legendaries, or anything LG only, or fossils, or...well you get the idea.

So far its looking like:

Charizard
Pidgeot
Gyarados
Dugtrio
Haunter
Kadabra

^^^^^^
major weakness
to electric, and
not bieng able to
evolve haunter and
kadabra hurts.

It just has to make it through the elite four. Then I can restart the game again.

If you need rescuing, PM me, I do it for free!

Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

No TM moves... that's unfortunate, because I was going to recommend teaching Earthquake to {gyarados} to cover its Electric and Rock-type weakness.

You'll probably be better off with a wider spread of types, and be sure that each Pokemon has moves to cover its weaknesses wherever possible.

Last edited by DarkAriados on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:44 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

you might be able to make it through the E4 with that lineup...electric isn't a major type, unless you count the Vermilion Gym, which you should beat with Dugtrio...

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:46 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

you might be able to make it through the E4 with that lineup...electric isn't a major type, unless you count the Vermilion Gym, which you should beat with Dugtrio...

Electric may not be a major type, but even then, three flying Pokemon also makes for a major weakness against Rock, which is the speciality of one of the Elite Four.

You definitely need a special-sweeping Water type for the battle with Bruno, and if you were willing to use TMs, I would recommend {starmie} for its high Speed and Special Attack. ({gyarados} can learn Surf, but it's much better as a Physical Sweeper with Return, Earthquake, Dragon Dance and maybe Iron Tail.) I creamed Bruno with my {starmie}. A moveset of Surf, Psychic, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam works wonders for it. If it gets a status problem, Natural Cure can bring it back to health by switching out.

Instead of {pidgeot}, I'd say add {snorlax} to your team. With Body Slam to paralyse your opponents and slow them down, getting two strikes in a row may win battles for you... but be sure you've got a few Hyper Potions up your sleeve, in case {snorlax} takes a lot of damage. Or let it learn Belly Drum and Rest. And don't leave it helpless against Ghosts, either, give it Rollout or another move that's not Normal or Fighting. {kadabra} isn't fast enough to sweep Agatha and her {gengar} unless it's quite a few levels higher, so I'd bring in {snorlax} instead, preferably with the ability Immunity, to fight her.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:08 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have a level 42 dragonair sitting around, could I use that?

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:37 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have a level 42 dragonair sitting around, could I use that?

I guess so, but if you bring it up to level 55, it'll evolve into {dragonite} and you'll have a stronger Pokemon, but yet another weakness to the Rock type. Yes, {dragonair} is strong, but it's best to use fully evolved Pokemon against the Elite Four.

If you know anyone who has a Gameboy Advance and Pokemon FireRed or LeafGreen, you can trade back and forth to evolve {kadabra} and {haunter}, which will strengthen them. If not, you may want to use different ones...

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:06 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Hmm, I might be willing to use a few TMs. The idea really is to trade my dragon claw to my emerald version after I beat the game so I can clone them and have an army of shiny dragon clawing sceptiles on pearl.

I can trade but it would take a while. I would have to walk to my friends house and trade with him since Its a race against my brothers on who can beat the E4 first and I wouldnt put it past him to just keep the gengar and alakazam.

But yeah, I already have return and earthquake on emerald so it wouldnt be too big a deal, problem now is I can only use one. maybe if I gave you thier current movesets (thier levels will all be lvl 60 + by the time Im done training)

Gyarados, jolly
252 EVs in speed, 150 + EVs in attack random EVs
water pulse
surf
dragon dance
dragon rage

Charizard, timid
252 EVs in speed random in others
flamethrower
fly (saving aerial ace for either gyarados, this one, dragonite, pidgeot, or dugtrio)
metal claw
slash

Dugtrio, bold
252 speed
sand atack
earthquake
slash
tri attack

kadabra modest (synchronize)
252 speed 100 + sp attack
recover
psychic
kinesis
future sight

Haunter, hasty
252 speed
shadow ball
hypnosis
dream eater
destiny bond

dragonite, jolly
252 speed, 100+ atk
dragon rage
dragon claw
thunder wave
slam

and Im gonna go ahead and use some TMs. cant use thief, or dragon claw, or focus punch though.

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Fails at life
Fails at life

With such a huge move pool it'll be silly NOT to use him. He is your God, he owns you.

Outrage will work wonders on Lance if your Starmie gets owned.

{dragonite}{tyranitar}{garchomp}{porygon-z}{kingdra}{dusknoir}

Call Me God Cuz My G is O.D.

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:37 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

{gyarados}: Use your Earthquake TM on this one. That covers both its weaknesses (Electric and Rock) - and you can take away Water Pulse, which is not as effective as Surf despite the chance of inducing confusion. (Having two attacking moves of the same type generally sucks, because you have less type coverage.) This Pokemon can't learn Aerial Ace, unfortunately.

{charizard} - very good, but Wing Attack is better than Fly, despite being less powerful. Unless you're aiming to annoy your foes by making them miss you on the first turn, you'd be better with Wing Attack which is more accurate.

{dugtrio} - quite a reasonable sweeper, but maybe level it up to lv64 so it learns Fissure, which can win battles for you despite being dismal in its accuracy. Fissure can instantly take down a Pokemon that's extremely tough - as long as it isn't of a higher level, and it can't fly. {dugtrio} can learn Aerial Ace, so I'd recommend using the TM and replacing Slash.

{kadabra}... this one packs a punch with Psychic, and it has a very good nature, but otherwise its moves aren't that great. Because its Defence is so low, {kadabra} is prone to being wiped out in one hit by anything that knows a physical attack, so if you're really determined to keep this one, give it Reflect in place of Kinesis.
Actually, I'd recommend replacing it with {snorlax}, as I mentioned before, because despite being slow, {snorlax} is very powerful. Mine took down Agatha easily with Body Slam, Shadow Ball, Rest and Sleep Talk.

{haunter} is actually pretty good - as long as Hypnosis hits, you should be a force to be reckoned with, particularly against Agatha's {arbok} and {golbat}. But it probably isn't to be relied upon too heavily, because Hypnosis isn't known for its dazzling accuracy. Destiny Bond is great in a pinch to take down anything that knocks out the user, so use that move if {haunter} is in trouble.

As for {dragonite} - you would be best to take full advantage of its extraordinary Attack stat by giving it a physical-sweeping moveset. When it evolves, it will learn Wing Attack which is very powerful (and not entirely worth getting rid of for Aerial Ace). Return would be better than Slam (Slam is not as powerful and not as accurate), and certainly replace Dragon Rage with another physical move - say, Brick Break which can be bought at the Department Store in Celadon. {dragonite} doesn't learn Dragon Claw, so you may have to settle for Outrage which is learnt at lv61. If so, give it a Persim Berry to hold, to snap it out of its confusion.

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:09 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yo, DA, if you play D/P, PM me for a shiny. Your suggestions rock, and I just won the challenge! Now I can finally complete that new team Id been working on! It doesnt really belong here (at all) but Ill post it anyway.

Weavile:jolly @ choice band
ice punch
night slash
pursuit
brick break
252 ATk 252 SPd 4 Hp

Starmie:timid @ life orb
252 sp atk 252 spd 4 Hp
ice beam
thunderbolt
psychic
rapid spin

Metagross:adamant @ life orb
252 atk 252 spd 4 def
earthquake
meteor mash
explosion
agility

Gengar:modest @ focus sash
destiny bond
hypnosis
focus blast
shadow ball

Blissey:bold @ leftovers
252 def 252 sp def 4 hp
siesmic toss
thunder wave
aroma therapy
softboiled

skarmory:impish
252 def 252 hp 4 sp def
roost
spikes
stealth rock
roar/whirlwind

And its all possible because I bet my shiny for my brothers max IV ditto, giving me the incredible ability to breed blissey and skarmory perfect in fire red making them clonable in emerald! W00t!

Basically thanks for the moveset, you have your choice of anything in my shop.

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Thank you very much... no return favours needed. :) I don't have Diamond or Pearl, but my experience with the Battle Factory in Emerald has given me plenty of ideas about movesets. In fact, most of my suggestions matched up with the Pokemon team I used to beat the Elites in my own LeafGreen game. As they say, there is no better teacher than experience. :P

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:42 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]