It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tae Kwon Do 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Tae Kwon Do: the art of feat hands and mind. I'm a first degree black belt in it, anyone else do Tae Kwon Do?

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:29 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

:D me! I study tae kwon do and im at 1st dgree too!

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:44 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

ME TOO! And I've got 1. dan as well! When are you going to get second dan?:)

PS: You should change this topic so we maybe can discuss Taekwondo a bit further :P

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:09 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I was going for second dan in December, but I also have mid terms SSAT's and christmas concerts and visiting relatives and a soup kitchen workday all in one week, so I don't think that I will be able to do it though, but Tae Kwon Do is about personal strength, no?

What should I change the topic too?

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:36 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm from Norway, and for second dan we have to know up to Poomse Keumgang, as well as Ibon Kireugi and so on... What do you have to know?

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:14 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Cool! I do it as well! I'm an Orange Belt, just passed the grading last Sunday.

I've heard that there's a type of Tae Kwon Do that has "tags", i.e. half-grades of belt such as "Blue-tag Green Belt". I'm confused... We don't have them.

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

My friend does Tae Kwon Do and he's a black belt. I don't really know much about it, like what "dan"s are, though.

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Cool! I do it as well! I'm an Orange Belt, just passed the grading last Sunday.

I've heard that there's a type of Tae Kwon Do that has "tags", i.e. half-grades of belt such as "Blue-tag Green Belt". I'm confused... We don't have them.

I think that it is the base color belt (ie green) with a blue stripe in the middle. It is sort of another belt, but normally there are less base colors. So it is the same amount of time and belts to get to black belt.

And poorcolossus, dan signifies the next rank in black belt. When you get your black belt, you become a "first dan" and then when you next test, you get your "second dan" and so on so forth. Most people don't go beyond fourth dan, and the tenth dan is normally awarded after death.

Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:02 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

We have lots of different kinds of belts, all depending on each individual club. Like, where I "grew up" we had the following belt system:

Kup:

9. Kup # White
8. Kup # Yellow
7. Kup # Green
6. Kup # Blue
5. Kup # Blue w/ 1 Red stripe
4. Kup # Red
3. Kup # Red w/ 1 Black stripe
2. Kup # Red w/ 2 Black stripes
1. Kup # Red w/ 3 Black stripes

Dan:
1. Dan # Black belt (no golden stripes or anything)
~
9. Dan # Black belt

I thought that system worked out the best, I mean it clearly makes sense. I won't bother typing the system in my new club, it's far too complex. Are there any similarities between this and your systems ?

I suggest we all take a round.. I little about what Taekwondo is like to you, or... bad idea?

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:46 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

The first four belts are the same, then it goes: Purple, Brown, Orange and Red, then the Dans of Black Belt. iirc, it's eight Dans.

Tae Kwon Do is a nice respite from the boredom of school, and it kind of focuses the mind after a week of hectic chaos. It's also bloody good fun and seriously healthy!

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

There are only a handful of people, at least I think it is, in the world that has the 9th Dan. But are you saying you haven't got the 9th Dan? Here it would be really difficult because one are not allowed to get a new Dan rank until the amount of years gone between one's last rank matches your new Dan rank. A lot easier said: If you just got 1. Dan here, you'll have to wait at least two years until you can get your new rank. The same goes all the way up, like when you get 3. Dan you'll have to wait four years to get 4th Dan.
Do you have it this way? I think it's standardized or something..

I also think Taekwondo is a really great, sort of pause from school. I notice that it challenges my mind more and more as I pass onto the grades, as well as it is extremely healthy, of course. However, there's little or no environment and engagement that nakes more and more people join, people seem to quit after months, usually. That's too bad, I think.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:08 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

There are only a handful of people, at least I think it is, in the world that has the 9th Dan. But are you saying you haven't got the 9th Dan? Here it would be really difficult because one are not allowed to get a new Dan rank until the amount of years gone between one's last rank matches your new Dan rank. A lot easier said: If you just got 1. Dan here, you'll have to wait at least two years until you can get your new rank. The same goes all the way up, like when you get 3. Dan you'll have to wait four years to get 4th Dan.
Do you have it this way? I think it's standardized or something..

To be honest, I have no idea. I DO know that you need to wait the equivalent of two gradings to become a 1st Dan Black Belt from a Red Belt. Yep, I'm a newb.

SpaghettiMonster wrote:
I also think Taekwondo is a really great, sort of pause from school. I notice that it challenges my mind more and more as I pass onto the grades, as well as it is extremely healthy, of course. However, there's little or no environment and engagement that nakes more and more people join, people seem to quit after months, usually. That's too bad, I think.

Yeah, loads of people leave by the time they get to the Red Belt, but for some odd reason, the Orange Belts in our club are the most numerous. My guess is that we're the guys who stayed on the longest.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:41 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

SpaghettiMonster wrote:

Yeah, loads of people leave by the time they get to the Red Belt, but for some odd reason, the Orange Belts in our club are the most numerous. My guess is that we're the guys who stayed on the longest.

I think you're right, a lot of people seem to quit Taekwondo - for some odd reasons - at the time they reach a certain rank. Maybe they think that they have completed something and that it's now OK to quit? I have never heard of any hobby/club/thingy where people quit as much as in Taekwondo. I think it's a shame. I mean, we all have the right to decide for ourselves what we would like to do, but why do so many people quit Taekwondo in particular? Any ideas?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:59 pm
blah blah blah

I'm a first degree black belt but I stopped going.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:24 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

goldenquagsire wrote:

SpaghettiMonster wrote:

I think you're right, a lot of people seem to quit Taekwondo - for some odd reasons - at the time they reach a certain rank. Maybe they think that they have completed something and that it's now OK to quit? I have never heard of any hobby/club/thingy where people quit as much as in Taekwondo. I think it's a shame. I mean, we all have the right to decide for ourselves what we would like to do, but why do so many people quit Taekwondo in particular? Any ideas?

Well, I think that there's a point that it stops becoming a hobby, and becomes a commitment. ONce you reach that point you have a choice: commit to the practices and get better, or quit because you can't commit. you can't drag yourself through to black belt with the mindset of "ow, I hope I can skip practice today to do whatever". The reason that so many people quit is that Tae Kwon Do requires serious comitment. You have to really care, or else you will want to quit.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:24 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

ive always wanted to do tae kwon do i think it would be fun but my cousins are black belts and they can kick my butt.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:30 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I took Tae Kwon Doe, then I broke my arm and I quit. Yeah. But my system was different.

White
Yellow
Yellow with Green Stripe
Green
Green with Blue Stripe
Blue
Blue with Red Stripe
Red
Red with Brown Stripe
Brown
Black

I was a blue belt...

Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:26 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

One of the guys in my class last year did Tae Kwon Do using that belt system. He believes that I'm either lying about the fact that I do Tae Kwon Do, or that I'm doing some other martial art. O_o

btw, I'm a Red belt as of June 30th. Two more succesful gradings, and then Black. Fwee!

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I did it when I was 5 and made it to a blue belt, but soon quit.

http://obeliskgfx.wordpress.com

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:02 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

White
White with 1 Black Stripe
White with 2 Black Stripes
White with 1 Big Solid Black Stripe

Yellow... etc. etc.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

My system was different. You must get a stripe for 3 things (until you become yellow or orange belt, I can't remember): Remembering you bible phrase and other things, remembering what kicks are what and how well you did them, and the last was your belt's style. Those were red, white, and blue. The last one for when you become a higher belt was the green stripe, which was for sparring. You needed all of them to go to your next belt, which you must break a board with a specific kick to get the belt.

The bet system was:
White
High White (For younger kids only)
Yellow
High Yellow (Younger kids only)
Orange
High Orange (Younger kids only)
Green
High Green
Blue (Senior Rank from here on...)
High Blue (I stopped here)
Purple
High Purple
Brown
High Brown
Red
High Red
Temporary Black
Black

The black goes by the "den" system from then on....

When I broke a board at Blue rank with my hand, I broke it into three parts!

(I only revived this because I love tae kwon do and want to see how many are in it...)

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:25 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I hope to learn it

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:25 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
I used to take lessons, but the couch killed my legs so I quit, but I do still watch a lot of jackie chan films, :D

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:02 pm
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I used to do Taekwon Do, but then I stopped after Green-Blue because our teacher was really gay and lessons were extremely boring.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next