It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Is it worth it to play Yellow for the 1st time now? 

Should I buy Yellow or not?
Definitely! Oldies all the way. :) 64%  64%  [ 16 ]
Nah. The first Gen.'s old now, so who cares? Just keep up with the newest games! 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Why not? But it's good to keep up with the new stuff =) 32%  32%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 25

Is it worth it to play Yellow for the 1st time now? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

In case if you don't understand what I'm asking in the title of this topic, I was wondering if I should purchase Yellow version, since I have never owned/played one of the 1st Generation Pokemon games. By the time I was old enough to be really interested in Pokemon, Gold and Silver were the newest games out. Therefore, I started with my Silver version and never really thought about playing one of the RBY games. If I were to purchase one of them, though, I'd get Yellow because then I could have all 3 starters. And after playing Sapphire, I have realized that newer does not always mean better in the world of Pokemon GB games (in graphics, it does, but not so much in storylines; GSC kinda owns RSE in that aspect.)

So...what do you think? Please vote in the poll, and discuss your opinions here. To play oldies or not to play oldies---THAT is the question. :P

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Actually, I can't totally agree with either poll option. Sure, you should keep up with the newer games, but once in a while, visiting the old stuff can be great fun too.

It depends on how cheap the game is now imo. If you can find one on the cheap, which is probable since the game's really old now, go ahead and get it. Sure, FRLG might be highly similar, but I think Yellow gives a unique experience.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:19 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hmmm...yeah, I didn't consider the possibility of neutral opinions on this one. I don't know how to add another choice to the poll (or even whether I can do that now or not), so please feel free to add an in-the-middle choice if you'd like. Anyway, the game is pretty cheap now: $16.99 on Amazon. So I think I'll order it sometime soon; maybe when I'm somewhat through with Pearl. And I agree about it being unique compared to FireRed and LeafGreen...Seems like a "blast to the plast" after all the vivid, colorful graphics and the new plots I've grown used to in the Hoenn and Sinnoh regions would be interesting, if not really fun. And I can't forget the prospect of having a Pikachu following me around all the time...<3

Even so, many more opinions and discussion are always welcome. :)

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Fails at life
Fails at life

Well, I say YES DEFINITLY, I just got yellow, and I love it. And the cutie Pikachu is cute. At max happinness he jumps up and down.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:03 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I bought Yellow version at Gamestop for $8 because my original game was destroyed by my friend. :?

Anyway, I think you should try it. It was a great game, and definitely worth the time. Yellow version was my first pokemon game too.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

You may have to replace the battery if you buy it used, but it's cheaper.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:54 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's really the same game as Red or Blue, but the game sprites are waaaaaaay better. Blastoise picture looked so lame in Red and Blue.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Actually, it's NOT the same as Blue/Red. Same story line, yeah, but the differences outweigh the similarities.

- Team Rocket from the anime
- You can't catch Weedle, Koffing, Ekans, Farfetch'd, Meowth, Pikachu, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, and maybe a few more Pokemon I can't think of.
- Cleaner, better sprites.
- Rivaltard has Eevee who will evolve depending on the actions you take at the beggining of the game, as opposed to the opposite starter of you.
- Some of the gym leaders / elites have different Pokemon.
- Pikachu learns T-bolt without TM, and some Pokemon learn moves earlier.
- Pikachu is your starter, and he follows you around the whole game.
- You can link up to Stadium and get a Surfing Pikachu (something that is impossible anyway)
- Different Gamecorner prizes

I'm just pulling these differences out of my head, and I'm sure there are a few more.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:19 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

^ Yeah, all those reasons are what make me think of Yellow as the uber-best choice out of the first generation. Plus the fact that you can get all 3 starters. Maybe I should get Crystal as well...:wink: But that'll have to wait.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

^ Yeah, all those reasons are what make me think of Yellow as the uber-best choice out of the first generation. Plus the fact that you can get all 3 starters. Maybe I should get Crystal as well...:wink: But that'll have to wait.

Crystal was the forst GB Pokemon game to have animated sprites and you could be a female trainer... But I think the move tutor was the best addition.

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:09 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

You should definitely get it from Gamestop; there's a guarantee that your game will work fine. Places like EBay are questionable sources, so go for Gamestop.

And now, maybe I should elaborate on a few of Krisp's points:

Krisp wrote:
- Team Rocket from the anime
The only game where Jessie and James appear. They have Ekans, Meowth, and Koffing (the first and last will evolve, Meowth will not. That's not surprising, though)
- You can't catch Weedle, Koffing, Ekans, Farfetch'd, Meowth, Pikachu, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, and maybe a few more Pokemon I can't think of.
Yet you CAN obtain both Scyther and Pinsir in the Safari Zone (or Game Corner), instead of just one or the other.)
- Rivaltard has Eevee who will evolve depending on the actions you take at the beginning of the game, as opposed to the opposite starter of you.
It's calculated by the outcome of the battles at the lab and on Route 23. If you lose both, it'll become Vaporeon. If you win one but lose the other, it'll become Flareon. And if you win both, it'll become Jolteon - which near the end is almost impossible to kill, even with Zam. (If you don't do the Route 23 battle at all, it counts as a loss in this formula.) And the rival's Pokemon will change accordingly (e.g. He'll have Ninetales, Cloyster, and Magneton, minus the Eeveelution type).
- Some of the gym leaders / elites have different Pokemon.
Namely, Gary, Koga, Giovanni, Erika (all her Pokemon devolve one), Blaine, Sabrina (who has only Abra forms), and Lt. Surge (who has only Raichu). This game is supposed to be based off the anime, so the Lt. Surge bit is not surprising.
- Pikachu learns T-bolt without TM, and some Pokemon learn moves earlier.
T-Bolt instead of Swift, Nidoran learns Double Kick at lvl 12 (great against Brock), and Pikachu also learns Light Screen at lvl 50. The changes here stuck around even today.

And you also get to obtain all three Kanto starters:

Bulbasaur: Get it where the Jynx guy was if Pikachu is very happy.
Charmander: Get it from a guy on Route 25.
Squirtle: Get it in Vermilion after you have Thunderbadge.

And a bunch of other differences that ultimately make the game great. Oh, and Puka is there too on Route 19.
- DNA

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:19 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

High five Krisp; Yellow was my first Pokemon game too. First ever GameBoy game too. Ah, the nostalgia.

Anyway, I've added the third poll option to your poll. Hopefully I've phrased it appropriately =S

Oh, and if you're considering purchasing Crystal, please do. It's my favourite Pokemon game to date. I think there are quite a few threads about a GSC remake, and given the amount of support shown by our members for such as remake, you should already know what's so good about the GSC generation games ;o

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:24 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thanks to DNA for the elaboration, and sN0wBaLL for the third poll option. :D I can't wait to get my mangy hands on Yellow and Crystal, but for now I'm still getting through Pearl. And I'll definitely check out GameStop.

About the possibility of a GSC remake; that would be AMAZING. :mrgreen:

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]