It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:16 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Legendary Dogs 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Do I need the National Dex to be able to catch them?
Do I have to meet any other criteria?
Does anyone have a good method for encountering them?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:37 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't know if you need the national dex but you do have to beat the elite four first.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:54 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

You need the national dex since the legendary dogs are originally from Johto, and I think (not sure) you also have to beat the upgraded elite four.
As for finding them, walk around a grassy area for some time while using repel (remember to have a 39-level pokemon first in your party). Use your masterball if you have it, so you don't have to bother running after them a second time.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:43 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

You need the National Dex, and you need to have fixed Celio's machine. After that you will be able to find them running around Kanto(not Sevii Islands)
to find them, try using max repels with a lv49 or lower pokemon. Keep switching routes until you find them.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:23 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I know a good way to catch the dog. I just ran back and forth between routes 14 and 15 until it shows up. Then I use my good ol' Masterball on it. If you haven't got your Masterball because you used it on, say, Mewtwo, then you'll need another strategy for catching the dog, and that depends on which dog you're going to find...

Which one you'll find depends on your starter:
If you started with {bulbasaur}, you'll find {entei}
If your starter was {charmander}, you'll find a {suicune}
If you started with {squirtle}, your dog will be {raikou}.

{entei} and {raikou} both have Roar, so you'll need Taunt to stop them using it. And of course, you'll need Mean Look to keep them from fleeing. Sleep or paralysis are good strategies, too, as they make the dog easier to catch. Get its HP low, and throw Ultra Balls until you finally catch it.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:19 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The strategy I used to catch my Entei in LG was this: Before encountering it the first time, save in a patch of grass. Run around until you encounter a pokemon. If it's not your ledgendary dog, either turn off or soft reset (Select+Start+A+B) and try again. I found my dog in about 20 minutes using this method, and then used my Master Ball (the best way to do it).
<center>Warning:</center>
my Entei's DVs caught using this method were:
HP 30,31 Att 0,1 Def 0,1 Spd 0,1 Sp Att 0,1,2,3 Sp Def 0,1
I don't know if it's a coincidence, or if the DVs were made this low because of the method I used to find it. Any information anyone has about this would be appreciated.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

You need the National Dex, and you need to have fixed Celio's machine. After that you will be able to find them running around Kanto(not Sevii Islands)
to find them, try using max repels with a lv49 or lower pokemon. Keep switching routes until you find them.

Actually, if you use Repel, the Pokemon who appear will have levels that are EQUAL TO OR HIGHER than the one in front. Since the dogs are lvl 50, put a lvl 50 in the front of the party to make them appear. I ran a couple experiments to confirm this and I did indeed confirm this.
The only way to prevent its escape is by using a move like Mean Look or Block. Unlike GSC, Sleep does not prevent its escape. (And, for the Hoenn runners, Attract doesn't work either btw.) Night Shade and False Swipe work heaps (False Swipe more so, but Night Shade will never score a critical blow), then when it's in the red, pelt your balls like crazy.
My dog was Suicune because I picked Charizard, and in future I suggest you pick Charmander as your starter...

- DNA
EDIT: Post fixed, Dark Ariados.

Last edited by DNA on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:11 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I don't know if it's a coincidence, or if the DVs were made this low because of the method I used to find it. Any information anyone has about this would be appreciated.

I thought the stats were set when you fix Celio's machine, not when you first find it

Shinies

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:41 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

JsXtm wrote:

I thought the stats were set when you fix Celio's machine, not when you first find it

Quite possible that it is, I honestly don't know. I'm just warning people that their ledgendary dogs DVs may end up like that/asking for conifrmation, if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

can you lower than a level 39 poke mon first in your party and do you have to use repel?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:26 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

You need the national dex since the legendary dogs are originally from Johto, and I think (not sure) you also have to beat the upgraded elite four.

Nope, I didn't have to beat the upgraded Elite Four to catch Entei.

I saved on the patch of grass once Entei finally matched my location, and I was so overjoyed until one of the trainers below (which I had previously sneaked around because I couldn't be bothered battling them) caught me and said something like "Want to play with my Pokemon?" It's so annoying having to waste your time on trainers with Pokemon at levels less than half of your own at such moments lol.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

rnc2b1 wrote:
can you lower than a level 39 poke mon first in your party and do you have to use repel?

I think it's <=49(or maybe 50) because the dogs appear at lv50. If you don't use repel, then you might find other wild pokemon. Using repel makes it so you ONLY find the legendary dog

Shinies

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:41 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Your lead must be less than or equal to lvl 50, and a higher lvl than the wild Pokemon normally in the area.

What I recommend doing is finding a city without doors barring routes (like the ones Saffron City has). Going into the building will make the dog change a route, going out will make the dog change again. So Cerulean City is most likely your best bet. Then, check if the dog is 2 routes away from you (if you use a city with doors like Saffron the math gets quite complicated, so let's stay simple). If it's not, Fly back to the city, recycling the location. If it is 2 routes away, head in that direction, and hope it comes to your route. (If it's on Route 25 you'll get real lucky, as I believe you don't have to cross into Route 25 to get to the patch of grass on Route 24.)
Then, just use basic strategy - Weaken (False Swipe preferably, or Night Shade is another alternative), Mean Look (remember, sleep no longer works to block bolting), then just pelt Ultra Balls like there's no tomorrow. Or, you can use the cheap strategy and waste your only Master Ball. Myself, I used it on Mewtwo, because he's a lot more likely to kill your whole team before you get him down to red. The dogs won't really kill you that fast.

- DNA

Last edited by DNA on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:35 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i was reading another post on here and they said you can find raiku on rt.5, is that true?

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:19 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Actually, if you use Repel, the Pokemon who appear will have levels that are EQUAL TO OR HIGHER than the one in front. Since the dogs are lvl 50, put a lvl 50 in the front of the party to make them appear. I ran a couple experiments to confirm this and I did indeed confirm this.

Yep, that's right - which means as long as your lead Pokemon is lv50 or lower, use of the Repel is an ideal method for ensuring you come across the legendary dogs. You may need to spend thousands of credits to stock up on Repels, though, because finding the dogs can take some doing...

Last edited by DarkAriados on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

rnc2b1 wrote:
i was reading another post on here and they said you can find raiku on rt.5, is that true?

Yes... just like you can find it on ANY route, if you look there long enough.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

JsXtm wrote:
rnc2b1 wrote:
i was reading another post on here and they said you can find raikou on rt.5, is that true?

Yes... just like you can find it on ANY route, if you look there long enough.

Strictly speaking, you can't find the legendary dog on absolutely any route - it only shows up in the mainland, not in the Sevii Islands. The dog can be found in a random location on the main map (other than a city, of course).

It won't always be in the same place as you, either - like the Lati's, you have to move from one route to another until it arrives in your location. This takes some doing, but with patience, you will eventually find your legendary dog.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:02 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

DarkAriados wrote:
Strictly speaking, you can't find the legendary dog on absolutely any route - it only shows up in the mainland, not in the Sevii Islands.

Technically, though, the Sevii Islands aren't routes; they're labeled as "One Island," or "Pattern Bush," etc...

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have a question about the dogs: If you find them, but don't catch them, the dogs will disappear from the region?
I ask because my sister was playing her FR like always when suddenly Entei appeared. She wasn't prepared for catching it, so Entei fled. Then she saw the Pokedex for seeing its location, and after going like 3 times to the places where Entei was, the Pokedex stopped showing Entei's location :shock:

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:43 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I don't know about the legendary dog disappearing off the map - that might be an error in the game - but one thing's for sure, whenever you enter its route from an adjacent location, it flees, and its location is reset to a random route.
I know this from my hunt for {suicune} in a previous play of LeafGreen... I'd used up my MasterBall, so after encountering it for the first time and seeing it flee, I had to scurry around for hours trying to find it. But I did eventually get it, with an Ultra Ball.

My advice is: don't use Fly, just walk between two routes until it shows up. If the legendary dog is anywhere at all in your game, I can guarantee that this method will eventually work.
That's how I got {suicune} and {entei}, anyway.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:07 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Then she saw the Pokedex for seeing its location, and after going like 3 times to the places where Entei was, the Pokedex stopped showing Entei's location :shock:

I think that if Entei/Raikou uses Roar, it disappears...so either use a Soundproof pokemon or Ingrain to block it, or reset if it uses it.

Shinies

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:55 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

The almost same thing happened to me with {suicune} , but then I caught my {latios} which has 31 HP dv and 25 sp.att dv, so I guess it's based on luck, though similar things may have happened with some people.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:46 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I think that if Entei/Raikou uses Roar, it disappears...so either use a Soundproof pokemon or Ingrain to block it, or reset if it uses it.

Soundproof or Ingrain... or Suction Cups, if you've traded in {octillery} or {cradily}. The TM move Taunt works too, because it prevents the use of any non-damaging supporting move, including Roar. But first, you need to prevent the dog from fleeing by sending out an escape-proof Pokemon, one that knows Mean Look/Block/Spider Web etc.

But is there a Soundproof/Suction Cups Pokemon that can learn a move that prevents escape? You can't breed Mean Look onto a Soundproof {mr. mime}... can you?

EDIT: No you can't, I checked {mr. mime}'s Egg Moves. None of the trapping moves can be bred onto a Soundproof/Suction Cups Pokemon, so we'll just have to make do with the use of Taunt or Ingrain... or you can use Baton Pass to retain the trap effect while sending out a different Pokemon... but you can't have your cake and eat it too. :(

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:54 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Well after about three hours of trying over about two weeks I finally caught my Image. It is horrible. The HP has a IV of 12-13 but the rest of its stats all have 0-1. I am pretty disapointed but what are you going to do. It is time to ship all the stuff from my LG over to Diamond and start all over I guess.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:49 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Well I had to catch my {raikou} with an Ultra Ball as I used my Master Ball on {mewtwo}.
It was a little bit weird as when I first encountered {raikou} I wasn't prepared, but finally I could see him in my Dex. So I start to hunt on it. I used the method with changing routes (which is very effective :D). When I noticed in my Dex that {raikou} is on the same route as me I saved my game, then I started the battle. Unfortunetly it fled and then my Dex said "Unknown Location" (if it used Roar it was the same). Well... I loaded my game and tried again :P with Crobat 70lv (yeah, I know, quite risky coz it's flying type partially, but it did its job ;)).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgive me this offtopic :P.
The only possible way to check your Pokemon DV is to train them first to 100lv, right? So how u guys checkin' it?
What does IV stand for?

Maverick

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:06 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next