It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Help with a casual gamer's team 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Hey guys, just seeing if anyone can lend me a hand here. I picked up Pokemon Gold after several years due to a casual challenge offered to me by a friend, who like me, used to play Pokemon all the time when they were younger. We each fancy ourselves better at the game than the other, so we have been playing here and there in our spare time to prepare for a great showdown battle for bragging rights.

I'm gonna post my team of six with the current moves they each know. Keep in mind that we have a level 80 cap, and most of my pokemon are only at level 65-ish, which may explain why they don't have their best moves equipped. Also, I have only used 2 TMs - Shadow Ball on Alakazam and Protect on Misdreavus - which explains why some of my pokemon have crap for movesets.

If you want to, take a look over this and give me suggestions on what to do. Since I am a casual gamer, I'm not gonna be worrying about maxing out stats, cloning TMs, breeding for new moves, or spending my time figuring out which one to use Hidden Power on. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that this is my set team - I don't think there's any glaring weaknesses. I'd just appreciate some tips on moves to teach each one via TM to maximize their usage.

For example, I realize there is no need for Tyranitar to have 3 offensive moves (I'm a casual gamer but hardly a noob when it comes to this haha). I just can't really decide what to teach him. Same goes for Dragonite and Raikou. I think I am pretty much set with Misdreavus and Alakazam, and Lapras is looking ok, maybe a move in place of Safeguard?

I have every TM in the game (minus Shadow Ball, which I have already used), so keep that in mind. I'll stop typing now - hope to hear some good suggestions! Remember, this isn't for a super-hardcore occasion, I don't need people saying "zoMgZ teach move x to pokemon y , it's attack stat is 2.451 points lower than pokemon z!" Just a tip or two to point me in the right direction :D Thanks

Tyranitar
Crunch
Rockslide
Earthquake
Screech

Dragonite
Wing Attack
Outrage
Thunder Wave
Safeguard

Raikou
Spark
Crunch
Reflect
Roar

Lapras
Ice Beam
Surf
Safeguard
Rain Dance

Alakazam
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Recover
Reflect

Misdreavus
Psychic
Mean Look
Protect
Perish Song

Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:56 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

you should probably give Lapras rest and sing/confuse ray, instead of rain dance and safegaurd.

alakazam shouldnt have shadow ball because his attack is SHOTTY.
i know u mentioned u didnt care about stats, but try giving him elemental punches. possibly 2 but reflect is a good idea.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:22 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Good call with Rest for lapras, and you're probably right with losing rain dance since he's the only pokemon I have that would benefit at all from it.

And, lol, I guess there is no good reason that I gave Alakazam shadow ball. . . lol I got confused and thought it would help me out against darkies. . . So I can toss him one elemental punch - what is the best call, maybe Fire, to take out Steel pokemon? Something like a Reflect-Recover-Fire Punch and repeat combo?

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:13 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

well im not sure about reflect, a turn using that is a turn wasted special sweeping, and because his defense is so low a strong phys attack may take him out anyway. if u want reflect go with fire punch.

if u dont, use ice and thunder together, becuase then your only weakness is magneton.

another suggestion is to cut recover as well and use all three punches. its up to you. you dont really need recover beacuse youll possibly die the next turn anyway, but it is good if your taking special attacks only.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:45 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Well I added Fire Punch but still have reflect and recover. If I wore the other team down to specials only, it'd be nice to have recover, but I think it might be better if I led with Alakazam and had all 3 punches+psychic equipped. That way, it'd be flexible, and unless they led with a darkie (or a bug, but i don't really see that happening).

I think i'll go with the punches and Psychic, then. Thanks davebabe.

Any suggestions on anyone else?

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:47 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

hahaha if they led with a bug...hilarious fire punch would pwn.

darkies shouldnt really cause you toooo much trouble, your special defense is decent and at most it will take you 2 hits to take them down (unless ur up against umbreon.)

ummm everything else looks sound, you could try dragonite with ice beam/t-bolt/flamethrower > safeguard like mine if you wanted more sweeping but safeguard is good.

t-tar and misdreavus look good.

most importantly try to get raikou thunderbolt. thats a must.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]