It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Rhypherior an uber? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Alright call me crazy, but I've seem to notice a LOT of Wi-Fi battle teams have been adding Ryhyperior on their team. I haven't looked at his exact stats, but I believe they're too high to be considered normal. It seems like going against him seems pointless because he either kills you in one shot, or he gets hit with only little damage done against him. Is it just me or is he too strong?

Fri May 11, 2007 9:10 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

<s>Rhyperior may have two awesome stats, but other than that, it's not THAT awesome. It has a few main flaws.

-No speed. With it's pisspoor special defense, this thing is going DOWN in one hit with Surf (and I'm sure most of the pokemon that learn surf are faster than it), or pretty much any special water/grass type.

-4x weakness to water and grass.

-Lightning Rod ability is completely useless unless you're fighting 2 on 2. (yes I know there is another ability.)

I'm not sure how it's other ability works, but I guess it could conflict with the first thing I mentioned (about it's weaknesses.)

I would NOT consider it an uber for sure, no where NEAR uber. I doubt it will even be considered OU.</s>

Nevermind, I didn't know about it's other ability and that Sandstorm raised it's special defense by 25%.

Last edited by Krisp on Sat May 12, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 11, 2007 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

strong defense and uber at attack but imo he's weak if you just use a special attack move.

Fri May 11, 2007 9:19 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, Skarmory doesn't have much special defense either, but it was massively popular for a while.

Just because it gets stomped by it's weakness doesn't mean you can use it in battle.

Fri May 11, 2007 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Actually, its other ability weakens super effective damage done to it.

Sat May 12, 2007 3:20 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Solid Rock only lessens x2 damage by 33% and x4 damage by 66%.

Sat May 12, 2007 5:16 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

One of best abilities in game, in my opinion. I'd say it's just a juggernaut - difficult to kill by conventional means, but very possible. I'd say a good spec. sweeper could kill it in two powerful spec. skills, such as Hydro Pump, Thunder, etc.

Not first post, but it's somewhere there.

Sat May 12, 2007 5:51 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Do you guys even know what Sandstorm's new secondary effect is?

According to http://www.smogon.com, it now raises the Sp. Def of all Rock-Type Poke'mon by 25%. (Same boost as when you use Calm Mind, for example) This, along with Hard Rock, pretty much cancels out the 4x weakness Rhyperior has to Water and Grass. And all his other weaknesses get cut too, so that's why he's being put on so many teams.

Tyranitar now automatically gets the boost too, so he's gonna be listed as Uber....

Sat May 12, 2007 7:38 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Well I've always used Rhydon, I love the look of them so I was always going to use Rhyperior as well and I like to use Pokémon that aren't so popular if at all possible, so this kinda sucks. I'm glad to hear about this sandstorm thing as well as Solid Rock though. :P

Sat May 12, 2007 7:49 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm standing right behind you with a knife...
One of best abilities in game, in my opinion. I'd say it's just a juggernaut - difficult to kill by conventional means, but very possible. I'd say a good spec. sweeper could kill it in two powerful spec. skills, such as Hydro Pump, Thunder, etc.
Take thunder off the list, Rhyperior has the type ground. [And Treeckomaster, don't say "He has ground in him." its really stupid.]

Sat May 12, 2007 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I fought the Tower Tycoon ??????'s Rhyperior, and Empoleon killed him in one hit with Surf. I switched out Staraptor for Empoleon then Rhyperior used Ice Beam...wth? But I lost because his Dragonite KO'd Luxray in one hit...stupid Dragon Rush.
But I would say Rhyperior is lousy because of low Speed and Special.

- DNA

Sat May 12, 2007 10:20 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Blaziken, He wasnt saying that you could kill him with a thunder, I think he was giving examples of good spec. attacks possibly?

Sat May 12, 2007 10:26 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i dnt have a ryperior yet but ive been hearing its aswome.

Sat May 12, 2007 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Take thunder off the list, Rhyperior has the type ground. [And Treeckomaster, don't say "He has ground in him." its really stupid.]

I was providing examples of powerful spec. moves, as mentioned before...

Not first post, but it's somewhere there.

Sat May 12, 2007 11:53 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Rhyperior would be a good addition to any team (unless they have Tyranitar, like myself). Sure he has poor self defense/speed but the proper strats can counter that and take advantage of its much higher stats.

Sat May 12, 2007 12:11 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Rhyperior isn't an uber, but he will definitely be a standard in the metagame.

His ability is probably one of the best in the game, and his main moveset can hit just about anything.

According to Smogon, the only thing that can counter Rhyperior (that we know of) is a Sandstorm Gliscor.

I don't really use a team. I just mix and match the Pokemon I have trained.

Sat May 12, 2007 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Maybe Rhyperior is not that uber, but consider the following:

1. Rhyperior has one exclusive move: Rock Wrecker, which is the Rock-version of Giga Impact with 150 base power and user cannot attack next turn, albeit, Stone Edge is better, IMO.

2. If you focus on the low Speed of Rhyperior´s you can have him hold the "Quick Claw" OR look at the 3rd consideration.

3. Low Speed? -> There is something in this world called "Trick Room" which, even if Rhyperior cannot learn it, Bronzong could use it and then Explode, to then put a 4-turn Trick Room Rhyperior hullabaloo, and it can even throw some Curses or Arm Hammers to get more (less) speed while Trick Room.

4. Solid Rock is one fantabulous ability, right, and Rhyperior´s 4x weaknesses are lowered by 66%, but if you count Sandbonus as 25% more Sp. Def, special 4x weaknesses are pretty lowered, and so 2x ones are.

5. Rhyperior is definitely an integrant of any expert-calibre Trick Team (Trick Room-roaming team) or Sander Team (Sandstorm-dwelling team) , but definitely not an integrant for teams with free, mixed structure, for he will never be nearly as kewl as the structured-teams aforementioned.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Sat May 12, 2007 1:29 pm
blah blah blah

How do you get Rhyperior to have the ability that makes it reduce damage from super effectivie hits. Rhydon only has Lightning rod and Rock head so when it evolves does lightning rod change or what happens.

Sat May 12, 2007 1:37 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

How do you get Rhyperior to have the ability that makes it reduce damage from super effectivie hits. Rhydon only has Lightning rod and Rock head so when it evolves does lightning rod change or what happens.

Well Rhyperior can still have Lightning Rod, so I presume that it converts Rock Head to Solid Rock.

Sat May 12, 2007 1:48 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Wow it looks like I might use this pkmn in one of my teams I know this is off topic but where do you get the item to evolve rhydon???

Sat May 12, 2007 11:44 pm
Profile YIM
blah blah blah

You mean the protector. i found mine just outside of stark mountain but other people have found it in diffrent location.

Sun May 13, 2007 9:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]