It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Astali Tras 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: Arising from my frozen state of death to curse you!
For those who want to know what's with the title, PM me. Note: If the words are in green, it means those words are in another language, not English. And if the protagonist said something and her words are not in green, it means she is using English. When she does, the mistakes are made on purpose, to give a realistic feeling she is not fluent in the language. And yes, her vocabulary is small, so she has a hard time understanding English speakers.

Prologue:

The flames were getting fiercer and fiercer. A girl braced herself for the inferno. She was not alone to suffer the blaze. A Piplup was trying to defend its trainer from the greedy flames with its water attacks. But the fire was too great, and Piplup's constant blasts of water were not a match. Piplup kept trying in vain. It was hopeless for the two of them. Both were trapped, doomed to perish in the strangling fingers of the fire. And miracles were not happening. The girl only had a Piplup with her and nothing else, and that one Piplup was exhausted. She was sweating, whether it was the fear of dying or the heat of the surrounding, she did not know. The flames drew nearer and nearer by consuming everything in the way, while the two backed off. "You are mine… You are mine…" they seemed to say. Piplup suddenly collapsed. It had completely used up its water and it was too dehydrated to support itself. The girl embraced the dried up body and valued their last moments. They could not retreat any further. The claws of the inferno finally got them. The girl could feel her eyeballs melting. The fire scarred her skin. Blisters formed in the intense heat. So this is what it was like to die! the girl thought as she was burnt alive.

Rain arrived. The fire vanished, leaving its mess behind. But it was too late. The Piplup and its trainer were dead. One was burnt so mercilessly, not even ashes remained, and was never known to be alive again. But the other, was reborn… not once, but twice.

CHAPTER 1

The crescent moon shone in the starless night. It was too early in the morning, but a silhouette of a large dinosaurlike Pokémon flew across the cloudy sky. On its back was a girl too small for her age, she is the Pokémon's trainer nevertheless. Her hair swayed with the winds. Aerodactyl rode on the air currents, using its whiplike tail for balance. Another Pokémon soared at a distance from them, but the two were not paying attention to it. Its ability to fly without wings failed to attract their attention, as they were anxious to reach their destination. Aerodactyl suddenly dived to the ground below, wings close to its body. Its trainer wrapped her arms around its neck and held on tight. As it was going to crash, the Pokémon spread out its wings like how a parachute opens. Air resistance slowed its drop, Aerodactyl glided a little, and finally landed on its feet gracefully near the dock. Its trainer jumped off its back.

"You are getting better and faster, Aerodactyl." The girl patted its head as Aerodactyl twitched its ears sideways instead of leaving them upright. It had always been a sign of humbleness and respect for the species Aerodactyl ever since the prehistory days, and they still use it when facing their trainers. The Pokémon obediently return back to its PokéBall. Just like her, her Pokémon did not come from a land where English was frequently used, so the girl could not communicate with them using English. Besides, her English was not very good, but she knew the basics.

The girl entered to the nearby dock. She checked her Pokétch. It was a quarter to six in the morning. The ferry she wanted to take, Ocean Rider, was scheduled to leave in ten minutes. There were five ferries at that time, and the girl could make out the words 'ocean' and 'rider' from the nearest one to her. Quickly, she boarded it after getting her ticket checked. The girl was not used to waking up that early in the morning. She felt sleepy and slouched onto the deck. Instead of finding a seat, she settled herself in one corner of the deck. She removed her glasses and dozed off.

The cold-blooded Latias expert in Asia with powers over the stars.

80d10302

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:55 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

A very interesting and creepy prologue, a scene I couldn't really expect from a Pokémon plot. Nice and involving, nonetheless.

I really liked your descriptions on the details, such as how Aerodactyl landed. Speaking of it, its behaviour doesn't seem to quite match what one would think of the pre-historic Pokémon; it's cordial, humble, as you said, pretty much the contrary of the savage beast described in the games.

I think I know what's with the title, but I won't say anything. The story is attractive. Please keep it up. ;)

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:06 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

A very interesting and creepy prologue, a scene I couldn't really expect from a Pokémon plot. Nice and involving, nonetheless.

I really liked your descriptions on the details, such as how Aerodactyl landed. Speaking of it, its behaviour doesn't seem to quite match what one would think of the pre-historic Pokémon; it's cordial, humble, as you said, pretty much the contrary of the savage beast described in the games.

I think I know what's with the title, but I won't say anything. The story is attractive. Please keep it up. ;)

Ditto to that.

I'm guessing that the Piplup was completely incinerated and the girl was reborn twice. This is a very good story...very descriptive, not too much dialogue (practically none so far), and it runs together quite smoothly.

9.1/10 8-)

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:38 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

You can't just believe in everything the Pokédex says. How many fierce animals can you name that lives in groups? Ants. Wolves. Killer whales. Lions. Hyenas. Bees. And guess what? They usually have leaders.

CHAPTER 2

Hanarah's dream had no images at first. Like a talking black void. The same emptiness everyone can see with closed eyes. The dream was nothing more of a flashback of what happened a few days ago. The talk about tickets.

"Hannah, you have to go home." said a voice firmly. It was her aunt's. Hanarah had stayed at her house for a month before having to go home to her parents. She lingered away there to get out of fame and interviews about coming out third of a tournament at another region.
"But – "
"But nothing. We’ll buy the ticket today." And that was that.

The sound of a car engine springing alive was heard. Then, for a while, there were silence. Noiseless, quiet, it seemed the dream had ended. After that, the strict voice of Hanarah's aunt came back.

"Have you got the ticket?"

An image appeared. It showed Hanarah sitting at the backseat of a car. Her face had no signs of happiness. Hanarah said nothing. She lifted her left hand to flash the ferry ticket to her aunt. The ticket clearly said, "The Mermaid – Selrid" The departure time was partly covered by her fingers.

"Good. When does the ferry leave?"
"Five fifty-five in the morning."
"That’s too early! You’ll have to get your Aerodactyl to Fly you to the harbour."

Hanarah nodded. Her face was smiling as brilliant as the sun. Secretly in her right hand, which she hid behind her back, was another ticket. Hanarah had bought it with her own money. This one said, "Ocean Rider – Krerie – 0555" Obviously, she was determined not to go home but to another region where no one knows her. The image burst into a flash of black light. Her dream vanished.

Hanarah woke up to the gentle breeze blowing into her face. She put on her glasses. Her dark blue coat had a hood, and she put that on too, to cover part of her face. She stared at the watch on her wrist. It was only nine o' clock. Hanarah recalled the incident that happened at the last tournament she had been to.

She won the fifth place. Tragically, the champion had been shot just one day after he won. There were so many suspects: the fifty participants, the 10, 000 spectators… And high on the list was the top ten, especially the runner up. Hanarah swore that she had nothing to do with it. The investigations are still on. Meanwhile, Hanarah rather get out of fame's way so she can continue traveling wherever she wished, instead of getting caught and brought back. Hanarah currently has only three Pokémon with her, the three she had not used for the tournament simply because they are not her best choices for battles. "I won't battle anyone on the journey." Hanarah whispered to herself. "Even if I had to, must be done clandestinely."

Hanarah heard some faint pleasant singing. It was so pleasant, it could have been a love song. Hanarah stood up, and looked around for the source of such soothing melody.

80d10302

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:08 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Very good. She plans on sneaking off somewhere to avoid any suspicion (and people she knows) clandestinely. So far I like it, honestly. (Sorry for the short reply, I can't think of more to say.)

- DNA

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:15 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Seems like I am getting far fewer comments than I expected.

CHAPTER 3
Far over the horizon were a pod of Lapras. With some hope, Hanarah drew out a PokéBall from a pocket inside the coat and sent out the Lapras it held within. Lapras splashed into the sea with delight. Unlike most Lapras, this one has two horns, a shorter one in front of the horn which all Lapras have. From the side view, the horns form a slightly slanted V on his head. He had silvery eyes but they do not sparkle with happiness enough.

"Can you hear them? The pod of Lapras?" Hanarah stroked the side of the Lapras' head. She would have liked to stroke him on the top but the horns made it difficult to do so. Lapras nodded. He rarely gave a cry. Then, like expected, Lapras swam towards the cause of the enchanting song. He leapt in and out of the water as he happily paddled himself to join others of his kind. Hanarah watched Lapras go and silently wished him luck.

Hanarah decided to take a walk on the ferry and ask the captain some questions. No sooner than she turned around the corner Hanarah bumped into the captain. Or so she thought. He was dressed in a captain’s uniform. The captain was in his forties. Hanarah wanted to ask him when the ferry will reach its destination, but 'destination' does not exist in her English vocabulary, let alone pronounce it. So she chose to use gestures and hope the captain understands.

Hanarah opened her mouth, pointed at it and shook her hand.
"So you are mute?" the captain assumed.
The girl nodded her head although she had no idea what ‘mute’ meant. Who could not understand a body language that simple and straightforward? She then pointed at the direction the ferry was facing and tapped her Pokétch.
"Oh. You want to know when the ferry arrives-"
Hanarah nodded her head without waiting for him to finish.
"At ten thirty."
A satisfied Hanarah gave him a thumbs-up and walked away to the deck. She sat down again and looked at the clear, cloudless sky. Wingull flew by every now and then with shrill cries. Hanarah watched them for a while but soon got bored of watching the same thing. Thus, she looked at the sea. Her two-horned Lapras was swimming back to the ferry.

"They too won’t accept you just because you’re blind and a bit different?" Hanarah said. Lapras nodded. Some tears rolled down his head. Out of the regular six senses, he was born two of them disabled. Not only can he not see, Lapras also cannot taste. He got along with his hearing, sense of smell, touch and the ability to read minds. Hanarah drew out his PokéBall and kept Lapras in there once more.

80d10302

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:04 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Since the chapter's short, I'll make my comment short:

Mm...Poor guy (Lapras). Being ostracized by his own kind because he's just different? Shame on the pod. Reading it makes me want to cry. (I'm serious!)
Yet I wonder what the incinerated Piplup has to do with anything...
9.5/10 :idea:

- DNA

Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:37 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Pretty much nothing else happened. It was another typical boring boat trip after that. Ocean Rider arrived LittlePort at half past ten at night, not in the morning as Hanarah expected. Although it was scheduled to reach the harbour at night, Ocean Rider did not serve dinner. So Hanarah was hungry.

Hanarah walked down the gangplank to the dock. LittlePort, nothing like its name, is a big city. People rushed here and there. There was a stray Rattata on one of the streets, foraging for something to eat in dustbins. Many bright lights shone. It was like looking at the stars in a galaxy. The wind blew strongly. Hanarah's long hair seemed to took advantage of it and stung her eyes. Unlike most girls, Hanarah was not happy having long hair. To her, it was a burden to fuss over it with hairclips and to tie it up. "Now that I have no more ballet lessons, I can have my hair cut short." Hanrah said as she ran off to find a hair salon.

Up in the starry sky, two Pokémon were observing her. Big but invisible, no one knew they were there. They saw her getting lost in the city. They stared at her talking to someone. They witnessed her trying out many streets. Lastly, they spied her entering a building.

"Obviously, she is foreigner. I don't think she has heard of us."
"She's so small, she'll be easy to scare. A great target."

Both Pokémon nodded to one another in agreement. They already had plans in their minds. They always do before they choose a victim. The two of them rested on the building unseen while they waited patiently for the girl to be exposed to the outside air again.

"This street looks so lonely. It's always much more fun to play a prank in front of others." the smaller Pokémon spoke. "A change of plan?"
"Very well, then. We'll follow her till she gets to a more crowded street." said the larger one. "But get ready. I sensed that she is leaving…"

Hanarah walked out of the hair salon. Her newly cut hair only reached the middle of her neck. It felt so nice again to make choices by herself. She strolled along the streets, finding the 24-hour restaurant she had seen on the way. Something knocked her down with force. Hanarah could not see who pushed her down, but she knew something had did it on purpose. Raged, Hanarah got up to see a monster unlike any other. Its purple head perched on two necks; one was grey and the other, black. There were five eyes in a ring on its face, all displaying fiery anger. The round body was brown and blue with spikes here, there and everywhere. The left foreleg resembled the talons of a Combusken. The right one seemed to be a Mankey's right foot. In between the other two green legs was a Persian's hind leg. On the tips of its four tails were a wheel like thing. The monster approached her.

Hanarah desperately wanted to fight back, but she had promised herself not to back at the ferry. Willing herself to forget about battling, Hanarah ran. She did not know where she’s running to or how long she should run. She just ran.

The two invisible Pokémon watched her go. They high fived as they laughed at her.

"I told you she's the perfect one."
"Hey, she's going to the forest. We'll be able to play more pranks there!"
"Let's follow her. She doesn't know she's heading towards a forest."

They chased her, thinking of tricks to pull once their victim gets lost among the trees.

80d10302

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:29 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Hee hee...How creepy. Getting haunted by some sort of illusion by a Ghost Pokemon (I assume) and scaring the soul out of Hanarah. You'd think she'd check her surroundings twice in a big city like this. 9.8/10.
By the way, what language does Hanarah speak? *guesses Portuguese*

- DNA

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:26 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

100+ views ---> 150+ views. That's a big difference. It's like an increase by 50%! And only a few replies. Maybe people can't comment on my grammar/spelling like they can on other threads. It must be a good thing![/sarcasm]

CHAPTER 5

There are areas of the forest floor where no trees grew. Ferns and non-woody plants ruled their soil. The pranksters watched her run across the patches.

"Hey, watch this!" the smaller one flew to a few steps in front of the girl. She stuck her invisible wing out, meaning to trip her or at least stumble her. Hanarah unknowingly just missed the wing. The Pokémon hovered back just in case someone sensed her presence.

"Your timing is always bad. Watch me now!" the other Pokémon did the same thing. However, the girl trod on the wing like a raged Aggron using Stomp. The part where his wing was hurt swelled and returned into its original colour, a striking sky blue. It was spoiling his cover. He howled in pain. Hanarah turned around to detect the source of the sound. It had brought her back to reality. She found herself near a wide and deep river. Hanarah could have seen him if his companion had not jumped into his rescue and dunked him and herself into the water. But the move made sudden splashing sounds.

"Who's there!?" Hanarah shouted as loudly as she could, trying not to sound as nervous as she really was. She had heard the plunge the Pokémon made.

In the river, both invisible Pokémon changed back into their real colours. "Your timing is so much worse. And you, you've let the Delcatty out of the Soot Sack!" the red Pokémon told him via telepathy with a wave of tensed anger. The blue one ignored her and glowed brightly. The damage on his wing disappeared. Although the light only lasted a few seconds, it was almost impossible to miss the brightness, especially at night.

Hanarah could not suppress the urge to fight back anymore. She took a Pokéball from her coat pocket. A Lapras popped out of it. "Quick, let's get out! She must've felt our presence." the larger of the two pranksters shoved his playmate out of the water. She was so immobile when she concentrates! Hanarah looked at Lapras, both of them then closed their eyes. Suddenly, Lapras's eyes flew open as he turned his head and fired a pale blue beam towards the surface of the river. It had hit the smaller Pokémon and froze her in a chilling block of solid ice. Using his amazing psychic powers once more, the blue dragon managed to lift her frozen body, and flew away with it. Hanarah had caught sight of the two Pokémon soaring towards the horizon. She was not sure what Pokémon could they be. Just then, Lapras growled at some trees. And something, or someone, was approaching them from that direction.

It is a man in his thirties. He was wearing some kind of scope, like Devon's. He looked silly with it, but not silly enough to make most people laugh. "I believe you had seen these two, hadn't you?" He showed them a picture of two jetlike Pokémon which, other than the colour, are similar at first glance, particularly in a surrounding with almost no light. Then Hanarah noticed that the yellow-eyed, red-and-white one was slightly smaller with a pentagon on its forehead, unlike the blue-and-gray one which has an upside-down tear shape that seemed like a blindfold with holes because its two blood red eyes are completely on the shape. They have different ears as well.

"No." Hanarah said. She felt a bit stupid answering him in whichever language.
"You have. The blue one is Latios and the red one is his sister, Latias."

Hanarah just stared at him. Maybe she had no intention to reply. Or maybe she did not know how to answer him. Or maybe what to say.

"Just in case if you see them again, use this against them." He handed her something like a Pokéball. One part was purple, the other half was sea green and a wavy, glittering orange line stood in between. The green section was heavier, so Hanarah assumed it was the base of the strange Pokéball. Somehow it resembled a Cloyster's shell, without the spikes. Hanarah stared at its uniqueness, enchanted by it. A piece of her memory struck her mind. "Dee you… See me fait?"

"Not a glance. And remember, it won't work against other Pokémon, only those two. And the only way to get it to work is to throw it at them."

Hanarah sighed with relief to hear he had not seen her battling. She looked up. Mysteriously, he had disappeared. Hanarah shrugged. Many of his words are meaningless to her. What is 'believe'? And what does 'against' mean? She kept the Pokéball in the side pocket of her backpack. Lapras had wandered into the riverbank by himself out of boredom.

-------------------------------------------------

Somewhere on a mountain, the dragons landed. Latios was trying to thaw his sister out by using his mind to crush the chunk of ice. Bits of ice slowly broke themselves from the chunk but it would take some time before she can be completely thawed out. Although throwing rocks can shatter the ice faster, Latios rather not in fear of hurting Latias. The current method probably also crushes Latias, but at least she does not take a lot of damage from psychic powers.

~Hey Latios, I have been thinking about something.~ Latias mentally spoke to Latios. Although she was frozen, she can still use telepathy. The cold only disables her from using her own mind to break free.
"Thinking about what?"
~Do you know how that Lapras of hers attacked us?~
"Of course! He used Ice Beam."
~Not that! I noticed that she didn’t even say an order.~
"The Lapras attacked with his own free will, then."
~I don’t think so. The odds are next to zero. But I think I know what happened and how she commanded Lapras to attack without saying it out loud.~

80d10302

Thu May 10, 2007 1:25 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Sounds like it now (a good thing, I mean). I believe you are experiencing now the same thing I have before - virtually no comments except those of encouragement. If people don't comment, it most likely means there's most likely to comment on except that your writing is great.
Still, I was rather shocked to find out that the invisible ones were the Eon Pokemon. I was kind of stumped when you mentioned the word "wing", as no Ghost Pokemon have wings, except for Giratina. Hmm...After reading this, I wonder if Hanarah has psychic powers also, and what that ball was also. You do not fail to surprise me! Keep going!

- DNA

Thu May 10, 2007 11:23 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I know I've been gone for a long time, and I am continuing this fic.

CHAPTER 6

~Nah, she probably signals for Lapras to attack.~

~You see, something was going on in her mind from the moment she sent Lapras out~ Latias ignored her brother ~Although it was gibberish, I have a feeling it was an order to attack. And Lapras being-~

~And Lapras is a Pokémon capable of mind-reading! He reads her mind, and follows her commands!~

~That’s the point. So we’ll never know what attacks she’s going to use, or even if it is an attack at all!~

~And her opponents have a real disadvantage; not knowing what will come next.~

It was almost midnight by the time Hanarah ate enough berries she found to feel satisfied. The skins of some berries were so tough, in the end she had to ask Aerodactyl to crack them for her. Even then, it took Aerodactyl at least three bites to do the job. While his trainer was not looking, Aerodactyl secretly swallowed three Aspear berries, skin, flesh and all, in one gulp.

A green Pokémon dashed out of the dark. In one quick move, it grabbed Hanarah’s backpack and made a run for it. "Aerodactyl, get it!" Hanarah called out. Aerodactyl swiftly chased the Pokémon. Whatever the Pokémon is, she knew it cannot easily outspeed an Aerodactyl. She regretted hanging her backpack the vulnerable way: on a tree branch by the straps.

Before it had gone long, the green Pokémon turned around and fought back. It jumped into the sky and swiped Aerodactyl in the belly with extremely sharp claws. Aerodactyl was taken aback by surprise. This green, two legged Pokémon is bigger than Hanarah and incredibly fast for its size. It held the backpack with its jaws.

"Aerodactyl, Thief!" Hanarah wanted her backpack, not the defeat of the Pokémon. Aerodactyl approached the foe, and with his talons, tried to snatch the bag from the Pokémon by force, but the Pokémon held on to it tightly. The Pokémon countered by clawing Aerodactyl again, this time on the face.

"Aerodactyl, come here." Hanarah wanted Aerodactyl to stop playing tug-of-war with the Pokémon. The straps might rip, and she would have to buy a new bag.

So this Pokémon wants a battle, and it will get one. Hanarah thought hard for a way to get the bag back without knocking the Pokémon out. Bug and Grass Pokémon are likely to live in forests so she decided to give the Flying move a try. "Wing Attack!"

Aerodactyl spread out its wings and prepared to strike the Pokémon in the neck, the soft spot of many Pokémon. The Pokémon ducked, and Aerodactyl flew past it instead. He would have crashed into a tree if he had not done a 180 degree turn just in time. The fossil Pokémon attempted another Wing Attack, and succeeded hitting the foe at the back of the neck.

The Pokémon collapsed, nearly knocked out due to its weakness to Flying moves, but stubbornly it still would not let the bag go. "Get ready to snatch the bag." Hanarah told Aerodactyl. She took something out of her pocket and threw it at the Pokémon. Was it a Pokéball of some sort? A rock? Whatever it was, the Pokémon caught it, exactly as Hanarah wanted it to. It was a Sitrus berry. The Pokémon opened its mouth to eat the berry, in order to regain some of its health back. The bag dropped but the Pokémon could not care less anymore.

"Now!"

Aerodactyl picked up the backpack and hurriedly retreat. Hanarah drew a flashlight from her bag. She switched it on and shone the light on the Pokémon. It was big and green with glaring yellow eyes. It has a red lower jaw and stripe over its belly. It was armed with sharp claws on its limbs. There were leaves coming out of its wrists, and had a tail like a small tree. Hanarah had never seen a Pokémon like this, and certainly did not know the name. The Pokémon got up and fled.

Hanarah climbed up a low tree branch. Whatever the Pokémon is, we’ll find out once we get to a city tomorrow and search the books. Hanarah thought before she drifted to sleep. Her Aerodactyl kept awake to look out for wild Pokémon.

80d10302

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]