It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 How come Wally never appeared? 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Walking down the path of life. Perhaps we will meet again someday.
Almost all the major characters you see in the game has appeared somewhere in the show. The Winstrate family, the sisters at the flower shop, and the people at the Weather Institute have all appeared in the show at least once. However, we never see Wally in the show, even though he

Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:09 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: Controling the Waves with Rukario, becoming one with each other
cause there is no "brendan" in the game. And Ash already has Gary.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:18 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Brendan does appear, in sort of a cameo. At the beginning of the movie Jirachi: Wish Maker, we see a Pokemon battle at a large stadium. One of the trainers is Brendan, and he sends out Aggron and Shiftry. We only see him for about twenty seconds, though. :P

Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:27 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Wow... that's kind of creepy to me, seeing as how my name is Brendan and my first Ruby/Sapphire team had Aggron and Shiftry :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Haha...:lol: What a funny coincidence. :P

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:00 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Personally, I don't know, and now that I think about it, the Japanese writers really screwed up the chance to incorporate both Wally and Brendan into Pokemon Advanced. When the show first premiered, it really seemed like the writers were trying to freshen up the show as much as possible, as seen by bumping Misty off and adding May from the R/S video games. It was a smart move, but they could have added both male trainers from RS to freshen things up further. Here's my reasoning:

Gary/Shigeru has basically been written off the show because his Japanese voice actor either left or is less available or something, which is obviously because Gary has not appeared in a single episode of Advanced Generation. And they knew this by the time the show was leaving Johto/entering Hoenn, hence why Gary randomly declares he wanted to become a Researcher near the end of the Johto League. And really, the show has been lacking without a major rival (I'll get to Drew in a second). It would have been perfect to introduce Brendan as Ash's rival in the Hoenn region, because the closest thing he's gotten to a new rival is that lameass Nicolai.

Wally would also serve a purpose if I were handling character developments. Let's face it, Drew/Shuu is a really sucky character, coming off as little more than Gary ripoff to get under May's skin and to give her a steady Rival in Contests. Wally would have been a much better choice considering: 1) He's not a random filler character made on the spot by the anime; he's an important character in RSE. 2) His team in video games is pretty weak as a competitive battling team and would be much better suited for Contests; Roselia would still be featured, along with Delcatty and Gardevoir, Pokemon that are natural Contest choices. 3) He'd offer a fresh spin on the tired "I'm your stuck up rival and I don't like you because your face is stupid," angle that Gary already held and Drew is now doing. He was a weak, frail kid that developed into a competent trainer in the games.

It would have been an indefinitely more logical choice, but I think I overanalyze these things...

Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:35 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It would have been perfect to introduce Brendan as Ash's rival in the Hoenn region, because the closest thing he's gotten to a new rival is that lameass Nicolai.

Is Nicolai the guy with the Meowth and the Metagross?

Frost wrote:
I think I overanalyze these things...

Maybe, but you did indicate a few good points. :P

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:04 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Nicolai is the {zigzagoon}/{mudkip}/{zangoose} trainer with the Pokemon costumes and an obsession with 'knickers.' It seems he's been set up as an occasional rival of Ash because they haven't shown who wins their battles in both of Nicolai's episodes.

Really, writing in Brendan/Wally couldn't have been worse choices than creating Nicolai/Drew.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:29 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Didn't that Nicolai guy dress up as pokemon? I remember he dressed up as a {zigzagoon} once. Crazy guy. P.s. weren't they knickerbockers?

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:47 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

nicolai appeared in another episode in zig zag zangoose his mudkip evolved into marshtomp and he caught a zangoose

Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:43 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

nicolai appeared in another episode in zig zag zangoose his mudkip evolved into marshtomp and he caught a zangoose

and had a great battle with Jessie's {seviper}

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:11 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Lintaro wrote:

and had a great battle with Jessie's {seviper}

That was THNX to skitty!! {skitty} !!!

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Okay...getting a little off topic here. :P

Anyways, I hope we see Wally in future episodes. He

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:24 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Okay...getting a little off topic here. :P

Anyways, I hope we see Wally in future episodes. He

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:45 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I also like his personality. He may be frail, but he works really hard. He's pretty sensible, unlike Ash. He's also modest, unlike Gary. I think he's a very likeable character. :D

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:36 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I agree there. Wally would be a welcome addition to the show, as he is a much deeper character than the present ones.

Ash- short tempered and never thinks, but always manages to pull something out of his .. er.. ear to win matches. (Very cliched personality for the main protagonist)

Brock- obssesed with girls(that he never gets anywhere with, making his advances pointless in every episode) and is really only there as a cook as an answer to the question- What do they eat whilst they're travelling?.

Max- irritating, four-eyed loudmouth with no pokemon, no likeable qualities and a stupid haircut. No one would miss him.

May- so far she is probalby the deepest character on the show, mostly because we actually get to see her grow and change right from the beginning. True we see ash grow from the start too, but he always retains the same personality and viewpoint, making him a shallower character.

Wally is an ailing kid with little to no confidence who suddenly becomes a trainer without any real prior planning, he has the potential to become a very likable and much more three-dimensional character than the others if he ever appeared on the show.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:47 pm
blah blah blah

Wally would have been a great rival for May for two reasons.
1. His pokemon are all for contests except for Magneton
2. I hate Drew and I think Wally is cool.

I think that brandon should have appeared at least in the hoen leage championships instead of the loser with the Meowth.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:19 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:49 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Post K.P
brendan appeared in the manaphy movie too when it was starting
but wally would be nice to see
i would like to see his altaria take on Ash's ambipom or them both be in the same contest , come on ash has to try a contest once with pikachu

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:25 am
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'd really like to see wally. Infact I'd also like to see the male character from RSE and the rival from GSC (though something tells me we've already see them, if so, its been a while and I have a bad memory)

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:34 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's sad that the characters in games never get used.....like now, they got this blondie who i think is your friend, but isn't in the anime (as well as the main male character). They apparently get replaced by this depressed, evil, emo who cares only about winning. Idiot.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

He looks like Silver your rival from Pokemon GSC. And they both seem to have the same attitude as well.

Pokemon Pearl FC:2749 9225 9473

Up for a battle anytime! Just PM me.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:54 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The blond guy and the rival from GSC both appear in Pokemon Chronicles in the Legend of Thunder episode. The rival has a short cameo where his Nidoking beats Jimmy's Cyndaquil and the blond guy, Vincent has a role as one of the main characters of the episode.

Back on topic. I think Wally would have been a better choice than Max. Max didn't really have any point or add anything to the story while Wally would at least have Pokemon and could have learnt things from Ash throughout the series.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]