It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 ALBUM REVIEW: Björk - Homogenic 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Björk is probably one of the most innovative musicians in the music scene today, and one of my favorites. She was also the first mainstream musician to come from Iceland, clearing the path for bands like Sigur Rós and múm. Her style differs greatly from record to record, where she has experimented with Dance, Trip-hop, Pop, Electronic, Minimalistic, Jazz, Classical, Ambient, and a cappela music. Though I adore all of her albums, I'm going to review the album that really got me into her, Homogenic.

Homogenic is an album that juxtaposes crunchy, harsh electronic beats and flowing strings (that phrase describing the album is so overused, but it's true). Though people often describe the album as "angry" and "sad", I really think the beauty shines through the music, to create a phenomenal record.

TRACKLIST:

1. "Hunter"
2. "Jóga"
3. "Unravel"
4. "Bachelorette"
5. "All Neon Like"
6. "5 Years"
7. "Immature"
8. "Alarm Call"
9. "Pluto"
10. "All Is Full of Love"

MUSIC:

From when the anchoring beats of Hunter begin, to when Bjork's shrieks echo at the end of All Is Full Of Love fades away, the music is simply amazing. The use of all of the string instruments you can think of on top of funky electronic beats adds a sort of surreal feel to the album, while Bjork's somewhat childish voice ties the distant beats to a warm, infantile feeling. Bjork's voice pierces through the chaos of the record, and guides the strings and blips, especially demonstrated in the track Jóga. Though, in certain tracks (parts of Hunter, Unravel and Bachelorette) she really allows the strings to take over, which is a truly euphoric experience. On the other hand, sometimes the electronic undertones take over (Pluto and Alarm Call), which isn't as pretty, but equally as interesting, which adds to the character of the album. At first, the music seems simple, and a bit weird, but if you really concentrate/listen to it enough, you can truly delve into the complex "emotional landscapes" that Bjork has composed. On the topic of composition, Bjork composed the album with many forceful, agressive songs, but also sparse, intricate melodies. Bjork's voice, again, sometimes childish, is full and warm, that gives light to the cold wintery feeling that Homogenic evokes. When she belts, she sounds like the breath of a blizzards, storming down into the ears of anyone who will listen. Overall, the music is 100% awesome, though the electronic beats are a but obscure. 9.9/10

LYRICS:

Obviously, if Bjork is Icelandic, English isn't her first language. This shows in her music, where her obscure grasp of the English language shines through. Though her language isn't the best, it's poetry none the less. Absurd, obscure, insane poetry. Though the lyrics aren't themselves magical, when sung, they're enchanting. 8.1/10

"You'll be given love
You'll be taken care of
You'll be given love
You have to trust it

Maybe not from the sources
You have poured yours
Maybe not from the directions
You are staring at

Twist your head around
It's all around you
All is full of love
All around you

All is full of love
You just aint receiving
All is full of love
Your phone is off the hook
All is full of love
Your doors are all shut
All is full of love!"
~ All Is Full Of Love

OVERALL:

Fantastic album, an electronic AND classical classic. Bjork at her best, and one of my favorite albums. Period. 9.8/10

RECOMMENDED SONGS, LINKS TO MUSIC VIDEOS AND OTHER ALBUMS:
Joga, Hunter, Bachelorette, and All Is Full Of Love are my favorite songs. If you liked this, try all of Bjork's other albums, they're all masterpieces.

Bachelorette Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=x5nNfbTS6N4
All Is Full Of Love Video (WARNING, ROBOTS MAKING LOVE AND NAKED ROBOTS. VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.): http://youtube.com/watch?v=EjAoBKagWQA

Kirke

JUST LETTING MYSELF KNOW, I'M STEALING THIS TO PUT ON ANOTHER SITE I GO TO. THANKS SELF.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:21 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Are we like twins or what own and love this album.

Great review.
It makes me want to do a review on Concrete Blonde or something.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:50 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thats my Björk (I'm from Iceland :3 So who won't be proud of her?)

Wed May 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I saw her live last night in Denver. She was amazing. I'll do a live review when I get thyme.

Wed May 16, 2007 8:56 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

And wtf love-making robots.

But fweee bjork.

To be honest I haven't heard any of her songs other than the ones on the Volta album. But I'm sure she was amazing in all the other ones. :D

Thu May 17, 2007 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Kirke wrote:
Björk is probably one of the most innovative musicians in the music scene today

Incorrect, Björk WAS one of the most innovative musicians, she lost her progression very quick. But she's not bad, have you heard Volta?

Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

For the most part, Volta was very disappointing, but it has some good tracks.

Also I think that she is still innovative, except not as innovative and before. and a little more crazy now.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Volta was really disappointing, but it had Innocence on it, which is my favorite song by her, so I guess it doesn't suck. D:

I have to say, Bjork did lose her progression, but she's still decent.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:09 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

sure, volta was a bit of a retread, but how can you NOT call medulla and verspertine innovative? point being, I think it would be safe to say that she was and still is the most innovative pop star we have going around; no doubt about it.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]