It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 How to fix your game if it breaks!! 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

dethbydeseption | Posted 6/15/2006 6:13:40 PM

Well, I was bored this morning and thought: "I haven't played Pokemon Gold in a while." So I dug it out from under my bed, plugged it in to my GB and turned it on. Hmm no save file that's odd, oh well, I was gonna start a new game anyway. After awhile I save and quit so I can take a break. A little bit later I turn my gameboy back on. No save file!! I try a few times on both Gold and Silver. Same thing. So I search Google to see what my problem is. I find out that my internal battery has died!

But there is no way to fix it? Every site I go to says that my game is ruined, all I can do is buy a new one or send it off to Nintendo for repair!......wait a minute....Nintendo can repair it? I'm just as good if not better at fixing stuff than Nintendo, I bet I can fix it! And I did! Now you can too!

Things you need:

-Pokemon G/S

-New battery: CR2025 or DL2025

-really small needle nose pliers

-soldering iron/solder

-electrical tape

Ok here we go, I didn't know how to get images to work so just copy and paste the url's to your address bar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/drdna/tools.jpg

First you have to take your cartrige apart. It only has one screw but it has a weird head. I used really small needle nose pliers to take it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ ... eapart.jpg

Ok now that we have it apart lets take a look. There's the battery, notice how it has a yellow lining around the edge? Also take note on how the positive side is face down, we don't want to put the new battery in backwards. It's soldered to metal tabs on the top and bottom too. To get it out, I pulled on the tab firmly but gentle not to damage anything. It's a little difficult because you have to break the solder. You have to do this to the top and bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ ... attery.jpg

Ok, now the old dead battery is gone! Take a break and plug in your soldering iron.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ ... rygone.jpg

And here's our new battery.

I wrapped a small strip of electrical tape around the edge of the battery to imitate the yellow band. It prevents the battery from touching other parts in the cartridge.

Now this was my first time soldering anything, but I think it turned out alright, and hey...it works! Now remember, postive side face down against the board! Solder the tabs on both sides and voila!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ ... ldered.jpg

Put the board back in the cartridge. Careful, it's a pretty tight fit if you have no soldering skills like me. Put the screw back in the back of the cartridge, and enjoy! I don't know how long it will last, hopefully a couple years like the original battery. So far mine still works but it's only been a couple of hours. Well enjoy!

Joe
-------------------------------------------------------
I have seen many people complaining that their games are messed up, so I've posted this useful Gamefaq's topic. I hope it helps!

NOTE: you do not need a soldering iron. you can tape the battery to the tabs :D .
NOTE: when you do this your game will act like it is brand-new. You will NOT have your old file on the game. You WILL have to start from scratch.

Last edited by FQ_786 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The same thing happened to me but I never fixed it but could you post the images in your posts next time because the aren't on Photobucket

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:28 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:54 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

^you can get the batteries at a place like radioshack or something.

^^ Oh, about the pictures shadowman I can't put them, because my friend posted them, and i can't get them from him cause he moved :( . (my friend helped me figure out how to fix the game)

Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:35 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Wow, that's pretty clever. Good job fq. ^^

Join the Cerise Island Pokemon forums! Users can buy their own items, partciipate in an mmorpg, guilds, create their own blog, and tons of other unique features. All with a great people and an active community.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:42 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

where do you get electric tape and wut is the difference between that and scotch tape

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:43 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Electrical tape is specially designed to block the flow of electricity, plus it's tougher and more durable than Scotch tape. Also, electrical tape is black and feels rubbery.

You can buy it at any hardware or department store anywhere. I've even seen it at the pharmacy up the road from my house. :wink:

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:59 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

how much would the new battery and electric tape cost, and what is the difference between the two different kinds of batteries u mentioned?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:51 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The batteries can be around $5 or less, and the tape is really cheap. There is really no difference in the battery types, you can use whichever you like.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:42 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

This really work, two of my games (a silver and gold version) didn't save, i bought two cr2025 and the game now save and works pretty good. Thank you very much.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:44 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Doesn't thet mean this could happen to FRLG RSE too?
:shock: :cry:

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Doesn't thet mean this could happen to FRLG RSE too?
:shock: :cry:

No. Older games saved to the battery. Battery go BOOM, save go BOOM. Now, I cannot clarify, but the newer games don't save to the battery (however, time still does, hence the Berry Glitch). Don't worry about the newer games. Unless you cheat/something happens/you flush your GBA down the toilet, the save shouldn't die. Or if the game's defective...

-Gardevoir~

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:09 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It was just that my friends emerald did, and my Silver, my little brother's yellow....

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

oh a little off topic... do the nintendo DS game card has a battery too?if it does then does it save using batteries too and if the save file is lost then i have to replace it too?

Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:52 am
Profile YIM
Lite Four
Lite Four

Wow, thanks for reviving a thread that is almost identical to a sticky in this forum.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 15 posts ]