It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 FIFA World Cup: Germany 2006 
Lite Four
Lite Four

Right, I can't comprehend many things in this final match. Why did Zidane choose to put such an end to his illustrious career? Why did Domenech take off his best chance of scoring the goal, Thierry Henry, when keeping him on would have been a better choice? Why was Ribery substituted? He was doing well. How did Trezeguet miss that? He's usually so prolific.

The match wasn't impressive to me. It was an okay game, and that's that. The first few minutes were scrappy to me, the players fell like sacks of potatoes whenever they got knocked slightly.

I'll probably drop in in this thread again to wrap up my thoughts about the entire tournament sometime soon.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:48 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Yay! Italy won! I actually watched the bit where Zidane headbutted Materazzi, and every time they replayed it, me and my family laughed! Sorry to the French and to Materazzi, but LOL FUNNEH!

After Germany and England got KO'd, I wanted Italy to win, so I'm happy!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Lip-readers from several newspapers have indicated that they have spotted Materazzi say several derogatory remarks to Zidane, resulting in his "retaliatory" move. It seems that Zidane's Algerian descent has been insulted. Still, I must admit that the headbutt was unacceptable behaviour, especially from someone who has been a savoir faire.

Anyway, to wrap up the awards presented to each player, Lukas Podolski won the Young Player Award, Miroslav Klose won the Golden Boot, while Zidane won the Golden Ball award, so I'm pleased.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:50 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yay! Italy won! I'm so happy that they won.

I don't like France anymore, because Zidane headbutted Materazzi! :(

I also feel so sorry for Brazil. My prediction, before the World Cup, was Brazil to win.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:02 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Right, I can't comprehend many things in this final match. Why did Zidane choose to put such an end to his illustrious career? Why did Domenech take off his best chance of scoring the goal, Thierry Henry, when keeping him on would have been a better choice? Why was Ribery substituted? He was doing well. How did Trezeguet miss that? He's usually so prolific.

The match wasn't impressive to me. It was an okay game, and that's that. The first few minutes were scrappy to me, the players fell like sacks of potatoes whenever they got knocked slightly.

I'll probably drop in in this thread again to wrap up my thoughts about the entire tournament sometime soon.

To answer the questions in that text sNOw:
1. Zindane got annoyed, probably racism? Something harsh or personal?
2. Thierry Henry got concussion straight away in the match, then got cramp and kept mucking it up, he was a risk, older, getting slower, and loosing the ball.
3. Ribery, who I love as a footballer, kept missing. If you're there as the French Coach at a World Cup Final against Italy and a man keeps missing and missing, you will replace him quickly, you need performance and quality quickly, the back of the net needs to be hit.

Thats my opinion for answers.

I think this World Cup has been a shambles.

> USA can't play good football. Literally, they kicked the hell out of Czech's strikers.
> Portugal are so rough it shouldnt be allowed.
> Every team has somebody who fakes so much like C.Ronaldo.
> The referees have been abismal. the person who did the Portugal v England match did the final. I thought the Portugal v England ref wasnt liked by Fifa. Ah well.

But luckily, not a lot of racism/fighting went on in Berlin or anywhere in Germany.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:44 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

However, the French dominated the second half when Italy's defence just fell apart. Which is why I think that penalty shootouts should be abolished for the world cup final so the BETTER team will win.

If Italy's defense fell apart like so many people have said (on other forums I go to), then why didn't France score another goal.

Seriously, everyone's like "ZOMG FRANCE PLAYED BETER THEY SHOULD OF WON!"

Tell me then, WHY DIDN'T THEY?

Everyone's still complaining about the Itay/Autsraila game.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:49 am
Profile YIM
Lite Four
Lite Four

Eh? Personally I do complain about the happenings of games, but I'll never complain that someone else should have won instead.

Anyway thanks for the answers rubypoke, but I do know about most of the things you have mentioned in your post. For instance, I did mention in a later post that Materazzi allegedly made derogatory remarks to Zidane. Hence, the questions I posted were nothing more than ranting on my part :P

Italy's defence did not fall apart. Cannavaro had an excellent game, as usual. It's just that France played better. The fact that Italy held on for a win is sufficient proof that Italy generally had it under control.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:20 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

On the Materazzi/Zidane controversy, Materazzi confirmed that he did insult Zidane prior to the headbutt, but that the remarks did not include any sort of terrorist reference.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

If Italy's defense fell apart like so many people have said (on other forums I go to), then why didn't France score another goal.

Seriously, everyone's like "ZOMG FRANCE PLAYED BETER THEY SHOULD OF WON!"

Tell me then, WHY DIDN'T THEY?

Everyone's still complaining about the Itay/Autsraila game.

Because France did not capitalise on any of their opportunites.

sN0wBaLL wrote:

Italy's defence did not fall apart.

Compared to the first half, Italy's defenders looked tired and clueless. "Fall apart" was a bit of an exaggeration [sp] from me, but France did play better soccer for the larger percentage of the game, and were attacking for most of the second half.

And I'm over Italy's <s>lucky</s> win over Australia. But not Grosso. Ew.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:21 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:14 pm
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: Training with Sojiro the tenkin to become the ultimate sword master
I didn't really like the final because of zidane zidane. Don't know how to spell it. When he head-butted that guy. that was really cheap and a selfish move on his part. He might have cost his team the world cup for that selfish move.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:20 pm
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

come on that was a great headbut give him creadit 4 that :lol:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:19 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

No, he's a model professional and should not be setting such a bad example.

Anyway, I'm un-stickying this since it's been more than a month after the end of the World Cup. Feel free to continue discussion, however.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:47 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Ok Zenidine Zadane's headbutt did cost his team to lose and I agree that he shouldn't have done that headbutt at that moment . But the crap Mattazeratti said to him was uncall for and why in the world would he have said those remarks to Zidane at that very moment. I think Mattazeratti was setting him up and knew Zidane would react like that. It doesn't make sense that he would of all of a sudden say those things at the end of the match....I seriously think there was a setup. I too would've kill Mattazeratti for those remarks...you don't make fun of someone's race or mother. He deserved what he got and I stand 100% by Zidane's reaction. We have already heard of the uncall racism remarks against players in futbol and they've made international comercials for these racial remarks. At the end Italy won and I'm not going to take that away from them, but they should realize that crap what Mattazeratti pulled off was over the limit. It's sad Zidane retired like that 'cause I know he didn't want to go out like that, but what are you going to do....let this man go away with those remark...No! I don't care if it was un-professional....it was meant to happen and hopefully you guys could've of realize his reactions if everyone was in his shoes.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:18 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Just because somebody does something absolutely wrong to you doesn't mean you need to return the favour. He could have complained to FIFA and let FIFA deal with Materazzi.

Anwyay, both players have been punished accordingly, so let's leave it at that. (Their fines are negligible compared to their wages, however, may I add)

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:55 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Ok Zenidine Zadane's headbutt did cost his team to lose and I agree that he shouldn't have done that headbutt at that moment . But the crap Mattazeratti said to him was uncall for and why in the world would he have said those remarks to Zidane at that very moment. I think Mattazeratti was setting him up and knew Zidane would react like that. It doesn't make sense that he would of all of a sudden say those things at the end of the match....I seriously think there was a setup. I too would've kill Mattazeratti for those remarks...you don't make fun of someone's race or mother. He deserved what he got and I stand 100% by Zidane's reaction. We have already heard of the uncall racism remarks against players in futbol and they've made international comercials for these racial remarks. At the end Italy won and I'm not going to take that away from them, but they should realize that crap what Mattazeratti pulled off was over the limit. It's sad Zidane retired like that 'cause I know he didn't want to go out like that, but what are you going to do....let this man go away with those remark...No! I don't care if it was un-professional....it was meant to happen and hopefully you guys could've of realize his reactions if everyone was in his shoes.

1. It's Zinedine Zidane
2. It's Materazzi.
3. It was never proven that Materazzi insulted Zidane's family
4. Even if he did, Zidane should not have headbutted him, otherwise France probably would've won. So not only did he let himself down, he let his team down.
5. Sticks and bones may break your bones but words can never hurt you.
6. Who expected a FRENCH guy to actually ATTACK someone?
7. Number after 6.

Seriously though, I'll admit Materazzi may have started it with the remarks, but Zidane should have at least settled it off the field, after the match was over.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:55 am
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

3. It was never proven that Materazzi insulted Zidane's family
5. Sticks and bones may break your bones but words can never hurt you

Seriously though, I'll admit Materazzi may have started it with the remarks, but Zidane should have at least settled it off the field, after the match was over.
Ok, the remark against Zidane's mother was proven and after the world cup journalist took interviews of Zidane and in his words he reclaimed that Materazzi did infact insulted him in that way.

And for the whole sticks and bone saying, it's really cliche.....some people might of taken that saying to heart, but most people know all that crap was uncall for and Zenidine had just about had it and did what he did. At my last post I did say Zidane should'ev took it outside the world cup field, but what are you going to do....it must of been some really nasty remarks Matterazi made against Zidane. Ok they are both fined, but I'm sure Zidane will remember what Materazi did to him. But at the end Italy won and France lost. There is nothing else to say about it. And Snowball, again...even if they're professionals, you can't really say what they should do and how they should react and you know people are different. In any sports everyone should act profesionally, but as you can see some people just won't take likely in what other people say about them.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:55 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

1. It's Zinedine Zidane
2. It's Materazzi.

Did Materazzi say he did it? No. Zidane said he did, but Materazzi said he didn't. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

...WAIT SORRY, WAS THAT TOO CLICHE FOR YOU?

The rest of your post was lulz, and I'm biased towards the Italians because they are the better football team ;o

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:51 am
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sneaky_Sneasel wrote:
1. It's Zinedine Zidane
2. It's Materazzi.

Did Materazzi say he did it? No. Zidane said he did, but Materazzi said he didn't. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

...WAIT SORRY, WAS THAT TOO CLICHE FOR YOU?

The rest of your post was lulz, and I'm biased towards the Italians because they are the better football team ;o

Hmmm then let me guess, Zidane just wanted to headbutt him for the heck of it. Something triggered him and Zidane stands by what he said. Next time think before you say something.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:56 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

You mention that in any sport everyone should act professionally. Like I said, I do not condone racist remarks or whatever derogatory terms Materazzi allegedly told Zidane, but neither do I approve of using a headbutt to resolve the issue. As such, I'm glad that both players have been punished accordingly, albeit a little too lightly. That is it. I did not imply that Materazzi was in any way "more right" than Zidane.

This is turning beyond a healthy debate. Such a shame that the World Cup is remembered chiefly for the headbutt instead of the football that was played.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:54 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Hmmm then let me guess, Zidane just wanted to headbutt him for the heck of it. Something triggered him and Zidane stands by what he said. Next time think before you say something.

Two words: He's French.

There, I win. ;o

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:45 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4