It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 General News: March 6, 2005 - "New Consoles!" 

Which of the latest, greatest portable systems do you like the best? (3-Day Poll)
Poll ended at Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:57 pm
1. Nintendo Dual-Screen (NDS) 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
2. Playstation Portable (PSP) 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
3. Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP (GBA SP) 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

General News: March 6, 2005 - "New Consoles!" 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sorry to everyone again for not keeping this up - I've been busy posting
on another forum site and concentrating on being promoted to a higher
rank in one of my online computer games.

Anyway...

Today's topic concerns new game consoles coming out within the next
year or two.

On http://www.mxemu.com , you can find all sorts of information
regarding Nintendo's next generation console, the "Nintendo Revolution",
which is in a 'pie-shaped' form. It looks pretty sleek and futuristic to me.
Nintendo doesn't want to give away too much information on it yet, since
they fear that another one of their competitors will steal its secrets away
from them. However, they do say that it's very far advanced than the
Gamecube.

On that same site, you can find out a little bit of information on the Sony
Playstation 3 too, as well as Sony upgrading their Playstation Portable to
allow for a 50 GB hard-drive starting as soon as next year. UMD Movies
have also been designed for use on the PSP - right now, three movies are
out in Japan - Spider-Man 2, Resident Evil 2 Apocalypse and Hellboy.

That's it for this article. Hoped you all liked it! :D
And don't forget to post your opinon in today's news poll! :D

*Many thanks go to our information provider, Gbxemu, the leader of roms
and emulators! Keep up the great work guys!! :D

Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thank you! These new letters are proving to be exciting. New consoles? I wonder...

Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:20 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well I hope Nintendo takes the right path and upgrades thier hardware seriosly for thier next console.

Also I like the PSP, if I get one I'll get the Ridge Racers game for it, which looks awesome.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

DUST!

Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:56 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thank you! These new letters are proving to be exciting. New consoles? I wonder...

You're very welcome. :D I'm just trying to help out Psypoke, the Gamespy
Network and Gbxemu by posting the latest news in gaming equipment. :D

dragonfan#149 wrote:
Well I hope Nintendo takes the right path and upgrades thier hardware seriosly for thier next console.

Also I like the PSP, if I get one I'll get the Ridge Racers game for it, which looks awesome.

Sounds great! :D

Last edited by Pokemaster2005 on Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:59 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Have you paid any attention whatsoever to the entire concept of the Revolution?

The Revolution is not meant to be the same as the PS3 and XB2; "Ooohh! Look! New graphics card! Make prettiereresterest pictures ever! Ug ug! Pretty!" The entire concept of the Revolution is revolutionizing. The console is supposed to take gaming to a level it's never seen before.

Besides all that, Nintendo announced early on that they planned for minimal spec improvements, mainly because the hardware is still waiting for the software to catch up. The graphics cards in PS2, Xbox, and GCNs are quite powerful, and are capable of FAR more than they're being used for right now. Honestly, they dont need to be updated. Software needs to be updated to take advantage of what the hardware is capable of.

As to just what it is the Revolution is supposed to do, no one knows. At least, no one who hasn't been forced to sign a NDA. However, theories abound. Some of my favorites are:

a) 128-bit, full-featured, 3D, full-color, full etc. version of the VirtualBoy
b) A more "traditional"-style virtual reality device, straight out of your favorite sci-fi/video game.
Just for the kicks of being so insanely out there and impossible, I'll also list this one: c) Neuro-impant type device. :twisted:

In all reality, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to pull off something like A or B. I imagine in about 6 months or so, a bit of info might have leaked out, or perhaps something will be shown at E

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's kind of hard to say why the Gamecube didn't do aswell as the XBox and PS2, I personally have no idea, though I have a PS2 and not a Gameboy so I am not the person to ask on this mater.

This is what Nintendo is doing revolutionizing (hope I spelt that right). If you compare the PSP to the NDS you will see that the PSP is just a more advance GBA, created by different people, which has all these options which you can buy from the local Fry's or Good Guys (such as a Portable DVD player, and an MP3 player). Though the NDS on the other hand has options that you can't get anywhere else, two screens on one system, touch screen, wireless multiplayer play, microphone, etc. There will also be a lot more NDS exclusive games since some games require a touch screen (Nintendogs, that looks to cool),

Now if you look at the next generation of consoles you will see that Nintendo will most likely excell infront of it's rivals with a mind blowing, out of this world
system. Which reminds me, does Sega have any plans for any hardware?

Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Which reminds me, does Sega have any plans for any hardware?

Not that I know of, they've been quiet for the last couple years.

DUST!

Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:48 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

You guys know Sega!? That's awesome. And I believe they're going out of business.

Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:26 am
The Geek
The Geek

Sega is not going out of business. They're actually doing quite well.

After the initial boom of the Dreamcast, Sega seemed to be at an all time high. Then, Sony said "ZOMG! PS2! W00T! WAIT! IT PRETTY PICTURE HAS!!!" and for some stupid reason people listened, and the sales of the Dreamcast almost instantly fell through the floor. Sega was basically in ruins.

In what is probably their best (and saddest) marketing decision ever, Sega officially retired from the console development world, and went strictly software. They've since reached profits not seen since the glory days of the Genesis. The company is more than alive and well at this point.

Obviously, there have been rumors of a return to the console market for Sega ever since the day they backed out. As much as I'd like to believe them (I'm a die-hard Sega fanboy), I don't think there's much validity to the "Genesis 2" rumors out there. Sega is doing amazingly well without a console.

However, there's always the practicality to it. They've got an amazing profit surplus. In addition to that, they've got past experiences to work from. The Dreamcast was amazing - 128bit console about a whole year before the PS2 came out. Unfortunately, it was a royal pain to make the games for it (Sega seems to have a history of that) and they, quite francly, didn't look 128bit. Compare "Sonic Adventure" to "Final Fantasy X" for a moment. No contest, right? The Dreamcast had the power and the early lead, but they couldn't back it up with software that used even a fraction of that power.

That being said, I think Sega could try it again, and do it right. I don't think they can make the 256bit market of the PS3 and XBox2, but it would be a riot if the year after Sega releases a 512bit system, with graphics to match. Sega DOES have a frightening history with NDAs (they're terribly serious about them; thus the "Sega Black Ops" jokes seen in MegaTokyo, supposedly threatening people with violense for breaking them). So, it's possible that they've been working on a 256bit console that would well come out tomorrow, for all we know. We only knew about the Dreamcast so soon because someone got drunk and forgot about the NDA they signed. Sega wasn't happy, but we all were.

Sega is far from dead, though they (seem to) have given up the console wars, at least for now...

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I say the SP. Now, if I had the flash card thing, I'd love it even more.

=02:47:08= <pop10> probably means your staff or soethingwich in that case i could getyou fired or i could report to nintendo how bad of website you run because you dont follow your own rules on the chats

Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I say DS, and here's why. First, PSP may be flashy, and have better graphics, but when has that ever mattered? A game can be graphically inferior and far superior gameplaywise. Second, The PSP is basically a game system stuffed with extras to cater to other people. Nokia tried that with the N-Gage and failed. Miserably. Finally, the DS is actually something more than a gimmick, unlike PSP. I'd rather play good games (old or new) in an innovative way than pay $300 for the system, and $40-$50 more for game I already own in another form. The DS makes ports more fun than any other system could. Look at Super Mario 64 DS. That was a remake of a classic, and is done beautifully. If PSP wants to compete with DS in terms of games, It will need to make their ports much better than the originals, and the games have to be good...

But sadly, these days, all anyone cares about is graphics, blood, and guns...

Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I didn'y mean the graphics was what I was judgeing Ridge Racers on, I just though the gameplay looked good, and (as a car person) the cars look great. I will probably get a DS, because it's a big IF for me getting a PSP. (Also I can play pkmn Diamond and Pearl on the DS)

DUST!

Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:16 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

But sadly, these days, all anyone cares about is graphics, blood, and guns...

True...very true...

That's why I will forever love Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh - even when I'm 100
years old - at least it's much better than murders on the news everyday.

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]