FIFA World Cup: Germany 2006 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

My favorite team.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:19 pm
Profile ICQ
Lite Four
Lite Four

I think England has the capability to overcome Ecuador, but they will struggle. However, their World Cup should end in the quarter-finals, where I think they will meet Holland (or Portugal; there's really very little to separate the two, just that I fancy Holland more :P )

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Knocked out with a few seconds to go. ;[ Well, I was expecting the loss, but after seeing us play so well in the second half, I thought we just might have clinched it. Anyway, I'm really proud of the team and how far we've come, and it's a nice solid foundation for 2010.

I'm going to support Ghana for the remainder, cos they're the underdogs. Go knock out Brazil for us.

EDITED IN: Italian theatrics that cost us the game. ;[

Last edited by DragonPhoenix on Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

OoWWWWWIEEEEE!

Knocked out with a few seconds to go. ;[ Well, I was expecting the loss, but after seeing us play so well in the second half, I thought we just might have clinched it. Anyway, I'm really proud of the team and how far we've come, and it's a nice solid foundation for 2010.

I'm going to support Ghana for the remainder, cos they're the underdogs. Go knock out Brazil for us.

:violin:

I'm so sorry for you Aussies... :cry: Well, hope's the last to die, and you can always expect a surprising participation of Australia in four years! So cross your fingers and keep your faith! :)

.... lol ...

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:25 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm going to support Ghana

Me too. After all they beat the USA and the Czech republic and deserve a place in the quater-finals.
But i think Germany will thke the cup. They were the only 1's to win by scoring more than once in this stage.

I wish Japan wouldn't have been eliminated

Image Image

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:59 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Yeah, I'm slightly upset that Japan didn't make it into the last 16. More specifically, no Asian team did =(

Australia was very unfortunate. To lose to a 93rd minute penalty is very frustrating. Furthermore, it was a highly controversial one. Fabio Grosso basically saw Neill already on the ground, and decide to touch Neill's back a little before theatrically dropping to the ground like he'd been shot. Not sporting behaviour, but he got Italy their win.

I'll still be rooting for Spain. Go Spain!

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:01 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yeah, I'm disappointed that Australia didn't manage to advance, especially with it being so close. Poor Socceroos. Anyway, though, I'm still rooting for England, who plays next on Saturday vs Portugal. Possible Final 4: Germany, Italy, England, and Brazil. Anybody think differently?

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

I think Portugal might be able to end England's adventure. Luiz Felipe Scolari knows all about knocking out England from crucial World Cup games :P

I do agree that Germany will advance instead of Argentina though. Everyone is getting distracted by Argentina's 6-0 mauling of Serbia and Montenegro, and some punters have even made them favourites for the title, ahead of Brazil. But do remember that they did struggle a little in the Mexico match. Germany are no push-overs. Sure, Per Mertesacker and Christopher Metzelder is not a defence that is going to keep Argentina from scoring, but Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski are firing on all cylinders, their midfield is clicking well, they have quality substitutes such as Odonkor and Tim Borowski, plus they have wonderkid Lahm. I think that's sufficient for them to overcome Argentina.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

LOL F_Ws prediction screwed up. Ecuador and Argentina both lost. :D Hehe.

1-1 Then Germany won on Penalties, good ol' Lehmann. Argentina suck imho.

Portugal v.s England 4pm UK time, cant wait, if England win this one, they'll have enough hope to keep going. It all depends on the France v.s Brazil match today too though. Im not sure of the team line-up. But if they play Crouch from the start, he'll have a heavy weight on his shoulders, I know he's injured but he may be playing today, but he'll have pressure on him, and for gods sake, CAN HE PLEASE NOT TRY TO DO FANCY STRIKES. How many shots did he miss trying to do a roly poly kick a week or two ago. :P

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:44 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

OMG... Portugal and England took it to the shootout, and England's Goalkeeper just wasn't able to cut it. Portugal's, on the other hand, was brilliant.

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

HAH. My predictions were spot-on. Germany and Portugal both advanced. I must admit I didn't see the French capable of overcoming Brazil though. I thought Brazil were capable of a semi-finish finish at the very least =(

Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:27 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

England are out. Yes again, because of Penalty-Shootouts. They just can't do it. They might've done if Rooney's attitude wasn't so rotten and gotten a red card and Beckham and Owen hurt their feet.

Although, when they replayed a Portugese player, I saw him wink after rolling aorund in agony on the pitch, and getting Rooney sent off.

Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:55 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ugh im really annoyed at Portugal, they're very nasty players.

I work at a shop and fill the newspapers with inserts, which means im always up-to-date with news.

Fact: Rooney stated he will sort out Christiano Ronaldo back at Man United and may not want to play with him ever again.
Fact: Surprise, Sven blames Rooney.
Fact: Ronaldo and whatever his name is that Rooney stepped on both winked at Rooney when he came off, Ronaldo's wink is on the News of the World paper this morning. (UK)
Fact: We suck at penalty shoot-outs.

Opinion: What was the point of putting Crouch on? Why not Wilcott or whatever the guys name is, he's runs faster than Henry did, why cant he go on and run it down for Gerrad?
Lennon taken off? He was the one that turned the match around and stopped Portuguese players. Ah well, no more Sven. *cheer*
Gary Neville captain? Whats that all about? I'd rather have anybody else Captain. Terry most. Or Gerrad. Geezus.

Ah well. Germany will kick Italy out and I hope Portugal lose harshly to the power of Zidane, Genry, Viera, Makelele and the whole French squad.

To win the Cup: France.

Well thats my speech.

Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:12 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Well at the end of the day England were still without a definite plan for each game. That's the problem with them being too versatile and yet have a manager that does not know how to play the team to its strengths. 4-4-2? 3-5-2? How about 4-1-4-1? Eriksson should have done all the experimenting long ago. It's annoying to see how he can throw on Owen Hargreaves in previous games instead of playing Jamie Carragher. David Beckham's effectiveness or Aaron Lennon's unpredictability and speed? Eriksson has no clue. Michael Carrick to anchor the midfield or will Steven Gerrard and Lampard do? Eriksson is undecided. Peter Crouch and long-ball tactics or the direct approach? Eriksson cannot make up his mind.

Yes, while they should feel aggrieved at not beating Portugal, I feel that the team doesn't have the preparedness to win football's biggest prize though. Ability yes, but they're just not prepared enough.

Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:19 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Im really surprised this thread isnt active.

<center>The Final - 7:00pm GMT

France
V.S
Italy

I want France to win. I think Zinedine Zidane deserves a good send off from international football, and Makelele.

Made a little thing for the match:

Hope y'all watch it.</center>

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:09 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Indeed. Zidane's my favourite French player, while I used to like France (before the appointment of Raymond Domenech, and more specifically when Zidane was still in his prime), so I'll be supporting this time. The Italians do play good football, and Lippi's a great coach, but they just don't appeal to me somehow :P

Anyway, in the third place match which no one really cares about, Germany clinched third, ahead of Portugal. Go Germany :wink:

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:46 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Anyway, in the third place match which no one really cares about, Germany clinched third, ahead of Portugal. Go Germany :wink:

I cared about that match, watched it all, loved that match. The goals were spectacular. Apart from the own goal which was basic. I wanted Germany to do good as the hosts, and they did.

The Germans called it the 'Mini-Final' with parties going on all night.

Ronaldo's face should've been framed and put up everywhere. :D

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:14 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Really, I don't care much for this match; with the finals played between the two team that I hoped wouldn't get through to the finals. Basically, it's the battle between the actors for the Golden Globe. I think Italy will win this [although I really hate to admit it] simply because they have a really good defence.

Yeah, I think I'll stay up till 3am to watch this match, then leave for school at 7am. :evil: I NEED MY BEAUTY SLEEP.

And GO SOCCEROOS for 2010. [and go Germany too ;o]

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

According to my FIFA 06 game, France will win 2-0, with both goals scored by Trezeguet in the 1st half. Then again, this is the same game that said Portugal would win 4-2 against Germany...

But go Italy!

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:01 am
Profile YIM
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

So, Italy won on PKs. Took 'em 5 to clinch it, 5-3. The goalies we're having a terrible time in the PK's, but did okay for the game.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Zidane...Zidane...Zidane...Why...Why...Why...Did you headbutt the italian!!!

Yes, for those of you that tend not to watch soccer/football, Zinedine Zidane headbutted the Italian (goalscorer was it?) In extra time, it was his last match as well in international football, he got a red card. Stupid idiot.

I was going for France all the way. I curse teams, whoever I want to win doesnt win. England, Ivory Coast, Czech Republic, France. Germany did win their 'Mini-Final' though, so im happy with that.

Boo Italy, I hate you. Always have.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Meh, Italy won... Don't really care much for football, I've always thought of it as a bunch of people kicking a ball. How boring... (Not trying to be offensive to the football fanatics.)

rubypoke wrote:
Zinedine Zidane headbutted the Italian (goalscorer was it?) In extra time, it was his last match as well in international football, he got a red card. Stupid idiot.

Lol, yeah. IMO, he shouldn't even be playing the game if he has to headbutt other players on the stomach o_O.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:01 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

He headbutted Matarazzi, who did score Italy's goal. Of course I'm a biased freak, so now I don't like Zidane much for hurting the poor Italian :cry:

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:23 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Meh, Italy won... Don't really care much for football, I've always thought of it as a bunch of people kicking a ball. How boring... (Not trying to be offensive to the football fanatics.)

How true.

Italy deserved to win it as all players who are violent (Zidane, Rooney) get their teams whooped. Nasty attitude french.

Congrats Italy, treasure that trophy for 4 centuries.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:11 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

First things first:

EWWW GROSSO
Um yeah, I was saying that throughout the whole entire match everytime he got possession. Not that I'm still bitter or anything...

As much as I didn't want Italy to get the world cup, they did have very nice wins over the tournament. However, the French dominated the second half when Italy's defence just fell apart. Which is why I think that penalty shootouts should be abolished for the world cup final so the BETTER team will win. I know it's prollly not going to happen, but I don't agree that the "best" team in the world should be decided by penalties. It doesn't seem... right. :?

Regarding the Zidane headbutt: LOL. Materazzi is a sissy and he got what he deserved. I would've punched him in the face [after the match though, I'm not that stupid].

Um yeah, I still think soccer players are all sissies. I prefer watching people get their legs broken to hearing fake cries of "OWW U TUCHD MAH BAK." Lol acting lessons. ;o

EDITZ:
GO ZIDANE!!!! Zidane > Materazzi anyday.
http://www.board1.net/zidane/

EDITZ2: Is it just me or does Lippi's hair look really fake? :roll:

Last edited by DragonPhoenix on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next