It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 New type weaknesses 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I only want to discuss one type weakness that should be added to DP. But with the way threads tend to develop, I've given this thread the name it has.

I think poison attacks should be super effective against water. Toxic chemicals, nuclear waste, sewage, ect, they are all things that destroy aquatic communties so it would make sense for poison to be super effective against water types.

Two more reasons to make it super effective are that poison types and poison attacks (other than toxic) would get used a lot more and water types with high sp. def. wouldn't be as uber as they are.

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:54 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Dragon should be weak to something other than Ice and itself. I mean, take Kingdra. It's only weak to Dragon... and it's decently powerful... so, Dragon should be weak to... say... Steel (Remember the Dark Ages, when knights slayed dragons with swords?).

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:42 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Electric should really be weak to something else other than Ground,maybe Rock.

I never understod why Steel is completely immune to Poison.Yeah,it should be immune to Toxic/Poison Powder etc. because most Steel types don't even have blood in their veins but they should be weak to Poison damage.Acid ---> Metal = Corossion(sp?).So...yeah.

I think it's odd how Flying types are weak to Rock atacks.I mean what is that based on?Little stupid children throwing rocks at birds? :?

I agree with the Water should be weak to Poison thing.IMO Poison should be super-effective against Steel,Water and Grass.The way things are now,Poison is only super-effective against Grass types and a lot of them take normal damage from Poison by being half-Poison themselves.I mean,what can Sludge Bomb OHKO (without being stat-boosted)?A freaking Tangela,Tropius or Bellossom >_< ?

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

damage.Acid ---> Metal = <s>Corossion</s> corrosion

I think it's odd how Flying types are weak to Rock atacks.I mean what is that based on?Little stupid children throwing rocks at birds? :?

I mean,what can Sludge Bomb OHKO (without being stat-boosted)?A freaking Tangela,Tropius or Bellossom >_< ?

Maybe it goes back to arrows (arrowheads = rock) and slingshots, with the Flying/Rock thingabob.

I think that Dark and Fighting should both have another weakness. Psychic has three weaknesses (Dark, Bug, Ghost). Fighting should be weak to Dragon or something (Imagine -- a wrestler v.s. a wyvern. Who's gonna win? I thought so.), and Dark should be weak to Fire (Darkness is driven back by fire. I don't care about the mistranslation!).

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:37 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

If you don't concern your self with the mistranslation, it's not going to make much sense in Japanese.

Steel shouldn't be super effective against dragon. In all the stories where a knight, samuri, or whatever slays a dragon, the dragon has already killed many other knights, samuris, or whatevers. If steel was super effective, no one would have a problem killing dragons.

If poison were super effective against water, you wouldn't see a physical sweeper without sludge bomb and grass types could become physical sweepers without worrying about being total prey to a water type with an ice attack.

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:58 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Electric should really be weak to something else other than Ground,maybe Rock.

I never understod why Steel is completely immune to Poison.Yeah,it should be immune to Toxic/Poison Powder etc. because most Steel types don't even have blood in their veins but they should be weak to Poison damage.Acid ---> Metal = Corossion(sp?).So...yeah.

I agree with the Water should be weak to Poison thing.IMO Poison should be super-effective against Steel,Water and Grass.The way things are now,Poison is only super-effective against Grass types and a lot of them take normal damage from Poison by being half-Poison themselves.I mean,what can Sludge Bomb OHKO (without being stat-boosted)?A freaking Tangela,Tropius or Bellossom >_< ?

1. Electric pwns, so no.
2. Steel is shiny, that's why it's immune to Poison.
3. They got it from the phrase "Killing two birds with one stone."
4. Poison kills stuff, so they want as horrible as possbile because people hate it, at least the Japanese people hate it, because they've had some bad experiences with poison...

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:07 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

(Imagine -- a wrestler v.s. a wyvern. Who's gonna win? I thought so.)

Wyverns have wings, so it would be Pokemon-ified as Dragon/Flying - Flying > Fighting

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:09 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I agree with the Water weak to Poison thing, pretty smart that.

I dont see why Normal types are not affected by Psychic, I think they should be most vulnerable to Psychic attacks.

Why does Grass affect Rock so much?? Chuck a ton of leaves on a rock and watch the rock just stay still... A rock could shred a leaf before a leaf can shred a rock. ;)

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:32 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: Arising from my frozen state of death to curse you!
Why can't Normal be Super Effective against something? Maybe to Bug. Just about anything can stomp on a spider, <s>left w</s>right?

The cold-blooded Latias expert in Asia with powers over the stars.

80d10302

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:31 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

STEEL > BUG (steel could crush a bug, man.)
PSYCHIC > NORMAL (because they're... y'know, superior to the normal people)
ROCK > GRASS (rock can shred leaves.... just read what rubypoke wrote!)

that concludes my thoughts on this...

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:59 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

The Poison > Water theory seems logical... or is it? I feel that toxic substances aren't lethal to aquatic organisms per se; rather, it's because toxins are poisonous to all living organisms. So if your argument goes, it would mean that close to all Pokemon (save for some weird ones like Magneton) would be weak against Poison, simply because they are living things.

Anyway, I feel that Fighting shouldn't be effective against Steel types. How is it that Karate Chops and other assorted kicking techniques are able to badly damage Steel? It doesn't seem logical.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:39 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Gardevoir1313 wrote:
(Imagine -- a wrestler v.s. a wyvern. Who's gonna win? I thought so.)

Wyverns have wings, so it would be Pokemon-ified as Dragon/Flying - Flying > Fighting

Apart from flying. I mean, a Wyvern is 23 feet long usually... heh ^_^

rubypoke wrote:
Why does Grass affect Rock so much?? Chuck a ton of leaves on a rock and watch the rock just stay still... A rock could shred a leaf before a leaf can shred a rock. :wink:

Plants' roots grow into the rocks sometimes, causing cracks and whatnot. Then the rock goes bye-bye.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:40 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Grass beats rock because of Rock-Paper-Scissors. Rock gets beat by paper (paper comes from plants) and paper can't beat scissors (why grass is weak against steel).

Toxins are more deadly to aquatic ecosystems than it is to terrestrial ones because, in water, the toxins can move around and spread easily. While on land, the toxins just sit there, rarely moving unless something pushes them. It's a matter of being spread quickly vs. very slowly.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:13 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

but you've got to admit, in rock,paper,scissors, rock should beat them all, if paper covers rock the rock can't hurt you- nonsense! of course it still can!

I agree with sN0w on the fighting>steel thing,it isn't quite logical, how can a punch/chop/kick etc. badly damage steel? more like the recall would badly damage the attacker... :roll:

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:14 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I find it odd that a Bug could pwn a Psychic type. What does it do, crawl around and mess up the Psychic forcefield?
And, making Normal super-effective against something would mean, 1/4 of all Pokemon attacks (most of them are Normal...) would be super effective.
ZIGZAGOON used TACKLE!
Its super-effective!
Foe DEOXYS fainted!
*sigh*
Also, Steel seriously needs more type advantages. How many is it good against, like... Ice, Rock, ... 2 types from what I can remember. Ice types are scarce, and most have some advantage to prevent it from being super-effective. Jynx and Glalie are the only two I can name from the top of my head that are hit super-effectively. And Rock types...half of them have EQ, so byebye Metagross.

-Gardevoir~

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:23 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Bug was made Super Effective against Psychic so there was more balance in RBY.

I think the two most neglected types are bug and poison. Psychic out numbers bug attacks by like 50 times, so I think it should have some help from the poison type to take down psychic.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I find it odd that a Bug could pwn a Psychic type. What does it do, crawl around and mess up the Psychic forcefield?
-Gardevoir~

Personally, I believe that Psychics represent smart, nerdy peoples, and the last time I saw a smart person touch a bug (that wasn't an inchworm) they were like "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! OMG! RUN AWAY ITS AN ICKY BUG!" Thus, Bug>Psychic.

I don;t think that Pyshic>Normal would be a good idea because the way Psychics are superior to normal people is the same way they would be to all other non-Psychics, non-Darks, and non-Ghosts. Mewtwo could just as easily drive a Dunsparce crazy as it could a tangela, charizard, or a mantine.

I also think that Steel is immune to Poison because IMO Poison represents chemcials and disease. How is a machine supposed to get the flu?

Although I do have a question of my own:

Besides the fact that they needed a type that resisted Dragon, why steel? Dragons could beast a machine or pipeline or something just as easily it could an inchworm. Why not some other type such as...*thinks for a bit* GHOST! Why Steel and not Ghost?

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:27 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Steel isn't super effective against a lot because almost nothing is very effective against it. That's why the best moveset for Registeel has it having Amnesia and Iron defense. It becomes a pure steel uber tank.

Steel is resistent to dragon because knights were saved from dragons by their shields.

Paper beats rock because the items in the game used to vary until the game became a more-than-3-items version of what we have now. In that game, paper beat the next one which logically beat rock http://www.jbrowse.com/text/janken.shtml. Then, that last item was dropped and we just have rock, paper, and scissors

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:28 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think that bug is super effective against psychic because, psychic techniques would attack peopels minds and thoughts, but since bugs and insects act entirely on instinct and pre-programmed responses, the psychic attacks would have little effect and would not stop the bugs advance.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:24 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yay, Gardy runs screaming from a Caterpie :P
Good idea with the instinct thesis...ya.
GARDEVOIR used PSYCHIC!
Foe Caterpie twitched! Foe Caterpie reflected the attack!
lol
Its fun thinking of logical explanations for the type (dis)advantages. Just to clear a little thought of mine up, is Water weak to Grass because plants use water to grow (I know all organisms do, but plants seem the first to come to mind counting as they cant directly obtain it themselves)? I never really understood that.

-Gardevoir~

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:47 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm coming to think that instead of FIGHTING being 2x to NORMAL, DARK types should be 2x against NORMAL...

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:50 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Well ground is immune to electric and flying is weak against electric, but it should actually be the other way round, since to be electicuted you need to be in contact with the ground.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:37 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

maybe bugs beat psychic because the bugs are too stupid to be hit with mind control stuff, :lol:. And why can't psychic hit dark? Maybe they're too emo, which creeps out the psychic types. Yeah, they should have emo type pokemon.
emo caterpie goes crying in the dark somewhere, emo caterpie has fainted from hating life.
They should also have light type, either weak against everything, but dark, and everything is weak against it (how nice) or it'd just be really good and stuff.

255 is the true devil's number.

typhlosion blaze wrote:
Wait, the guy who made this topic plays runescape? So 3rd grade.

From my "Stupid Insults" thread, where people tell eachother how people insulted them in a hilariously stupid manner, how ironic!

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Bugs vs. psychic isn't so much logical as it is metaphorical. The type weakness is there to show that even the mighty psychics can be beaten by the lowly insects.

Sort of a Yurtle the Turtle kind of message.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:14 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Why is Ice ineffective against Water? Ice freezes Water, so shouldn't it be the other way round with the resistances? Or maybe they just left it out to prevent Water becoming like Rock, i.e. weak agianst a million things.

Fri May 05, 2006 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next