It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:57 pm

Forum rules

It's not called THE BIG THREAD THAT ANSWERS ALL YOUR QUESTIONS for nothing. Use it!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Shinys 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Hey Guys, I was just reading the shiny guide by Swift53, and I am confused. What is the binary operation "exclusive or", and how does it work? And, is there something about the one visible number of the four that we can see (Trainer ID No.) that will give an indication of the likliehood of shinys?

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:53 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

The "exclusive or" function is known as the XOR function. You can find this function on scientific calculators. Basically, it's made use of in logic gates, which are arrangements of controlled switches to calculate operations in digital circuits.

XOR thus serves as a logic connector that links two inputs to produce an output. For instance, you have two inputs, A and B. They can either be True, or False. When you do the function A XOR B, an output would be given for the two inputs. In the case of the XOR function, the output would be "True" if one and only one of the inputs is "True".

For instance, if A is "false" and B is "false", the output would be "false". If both of them are "true", the output would still be "false". If either one, and only one of A and B is "true", the output would then be "true". These results can be illustrated in what we call Truth Tables.

In conclusion, don't bother about how the XOR function works.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:59 am
Report this post
Psypoke Legend
Psypoke Legend

And, is there something about the one visible number of the four that we can see (Trainer ID No.) that will give an indication of the likliehood of shinys?

Since all four numbers are randomly generated, the fact that one number is visible gives no indication of an increased chance of shinyness. In short, no.

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:16 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

sNOwBaLL, can ya explain a little more on the Xor thingy? I want to try that out with my computer's sci calculator ^_^

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:43 pm
Report this post
Lite Four
Lite Four

The XOR function is just used in Bitwise functions, that's about it.

Going by what I said previously,
1 XOR 0 = 1
0 XOR 1 = 1
0 XOR 0 = 0
1 XOR 1 = 0

That's about all you can do with the scientific calculator, I think. I have no idea how these are used exactly, all I know are the basic principles behind the function :?

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:44 pm
Report this post
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Um Ya Ya... I think I get it. The 4 numbers get converted to binary (8 digits long, I think?), and then Xor gets performed (multiple times, I guess) on each binary digit, to make a new (8?) digit long binary number, which is then used to find shininess. If that's correct, then you're right, it's pointless to try to figure out shinyness likleyhoods of certain trainer ID numbers, the one of the four we can see. Okay, my question's answered.

Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:02 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]