It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Pokemon Analysis: Donphan 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Lately I've grown quite attached to this elephant, and for good reason: It supports Umbreon rather well :)

Pros:
+Great Defense
+Great Offense
+Cool Rapid Spinner
+Can phaze
+Exceptional DDTar counter.

Cons:
-Can't stand too many Sp. Attacks
-EVs placed in Def and HP take away from available EVs to use in that loverly Atk stat.
-Only 2 physical resistances

Base Stats
HP - 90
Atk - 120
Def - 120
Spd - 50
Sp.Atk - 60
Sp.Def - 60

Makes me feel sad that those Atk EVs are kinda left out in the cold.

Donphan @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Counter / Hidden Power [Rock]
- Rapid Spin
- Roar / Rest

Standard stuff. STABed EQs hurt off a base 120 Attack. But it's main function is, obviously, not to sweep. It shakes of Rock Slides like dirt on its shoulders(>_>), so clearly you should take advantage of that. It makes for a decent spinner, and can pretty much laugh at a Dragon Dance or two. In light of that, I suggest Roar over rest to phaze out any Swords Dances. HP Rock is for those who fear Rock Slides' accuracy disadvantage. Counter is also a cool option on a team that fears CBers. This is the best DDTar counter IMO.

Donphan @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

So I thought, everyone is stalking, why shouldn't the elephant? You know the drill; Sweep. Rest. Sweep while resting.

Donphan @ Choice Band
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sleep Talk / Rapid Spin
- Body Slam

Not the best CBer, but you can still drool over this math equation:

STABed EQs + 120 Base Atk + Custom EVs = You drooling @ a KO'd pokemon.

You'll want Donphan with Impish Nature 99% of the time, but Adamant's ok whenever you just wanna have fun. For EVs, pump up your HP and Defense, and put whatever you have left into attack.

General Counters:
Just about any special attack. If Tauntridos switches in, it could pretty much mean trouble, even with Rock Slide in your arsenal. Physical tanks of course wall it, and Dusclops stops it dead.

Support Options :
-Snorlax
-Regice
-Blissey (See the pattern? >_>)
-Skarmory
-Gyarados

And if anyone gets Deja Vu, know that I also posted the same guide on another forum.

^Bluefox owns for these.

Last edited by Synchronize on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:33 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Actually yesterday I switched my Claydol with Donphan.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:25 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

You forgot to put down choice natures and its abilities.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:18 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

*edits post

^Bluefox owns for these.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:46 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Celebi loves to switch into Donphan...so it wouldn't be a horrid idea to equip some HP Bug on Donphan.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:40 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Synchronize wrote:
You'll want Donphan with Impish Nature 99% of the time, but Adamant's ok whenever you just wanna have fun. For EVs, pump up your HP and Defense, and put whatever you have left into attack.

In the ev/nature area, I would agree with impish, but i would also advise that you not let your attack stat go much below 300 (which keeping your HP as close to max as possible). Donphan is a great wall in that it nearly matches the other physical walls in survivability, but also has devastating power (which skarm and weezing tend to lack).

Another option to consider is giving it some s. def evs. If you play it right it can take the hit from that injured zapdos or whatever and deliver the killing blow rather than having to switch out.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:33 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Lynx wrote:
In the ev/nature area, I would agree with impish, but i would also advise that you not let your attack stat go much below 300 (which keeping your HP as close to max as possible). Donphan is a great wall in that it nearly matches the other physical walls in survivability, but also has devastating power (which skarm and weezing tend to lack).

Another option to consider is giving it some s. def evs. If you play it right it can take the hit from that injured zapdos or whatever and deliver the killing blow rather than having to switch out.

I've tested this.

Donphan needs zero EVs in Sp.Def to survive most non-stab special attacks. That is all you really need to put the hurt on something. I'd REALLY recommend not having it around to combat a special attacker even if it is injured simply because you might not be able to rest when they send out their next pokemon.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]