It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:07 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
 SOS-problems with my GBA carts! 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

...i have a big problem,that i just can't even begin to figure out-i had found last week my Pokemon Gold cart,and have been playing it this week in my GBA-something that i have done before. i have had the cart for years,and kept it in a proper box,etc,and my BrainBoy in a bag with my other games.

but last night i put in my Pokemon LG,and i was shocked when i couldn't even get the GB/Nintendo screen to go up properly,never mind it going further than that. and it wasn't only that game-i put in my LOZ-Adventures of Link cart,and it did have that screen go up,but then it went to black,and stopped there. i checked to see if everything was clean,check,no bent anything that i could see,but still my GBA games won't play at all,just the old GBC games....

any ideas of why? and even more,what can i do,short of sending it off to be fixed? ( which will be impossible,since we can't afford it for months... :( )

Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Uh, blow the dust off the cart? Push it in all the way? Play on another port? The GBC games are a different shape (doi) so that could be a factor.
Try playing on another port if you can, if not, I dunno.

-Gardevoir~

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:29 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

"....another port"? do you mean like in another machine? i don't have any other GBA machines,and no Cube to try it on....is that what you are suggesting?

and what is so weird is that i have played both in this machine in the past-that is why i don't unerstand the sudden problem now...

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

:( Well the smart thing to do if you are really getting mad by another GBA they are only 25 dollars. Or by a SP. If it is the game that it is screwing up with by another copy. Otherwise if it does that with you other games by a new one.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Maybe your beloved GBA needs to move on....*image of toilet appears* *pushes away* Er..... Maybe you just need to give it a bit, like an electric pencil sharpener.
My friends 64 always overheats then shuts off. I know this isnt your problem, maybe your GBA doesnt like you right now.

-Gardevoir~

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:52 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

....thats funny! "doesn't like me now"! :P

i want very much to have one of the new,square GBAs,and i'm hoping that my husband can get me one for Christmas,but our money is insanely tight right now,and i don't really know what the odds are of that right now,even for a used one.

i wonder if i wiped the little metal "teeth" with an alcohol wipe,if that might help....any one tried that?

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

[sarcasticvoice] That could be the problem. [/sarcasticvoice]
I dont know, once I was playing Ruby, next thing I know, *game dies*. It was weird, but it still works. ^-^
The game coulda been INTERNALLY damaged...

-Gardevoir~

Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:01 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

that is quite possible,with the LG game...but i tried the LOZ,which is all but brand new,and not a eBay POJ,and it doesn't work either. that is what mystifies me.

i could understand if it was just the LG game- that is the one i bough from that twit in HongKong who since has been made to close his eBay store because he couldn't package stuff safely and sold pirated ones too.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Maybe somethings wrong with the Gameboy itself from playing Gold. Have you encountered any problems with Gold? If not, I am clueless.

-Gardevoir~

Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:08 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I think that the problem is that you are using alcohol to clean it out. The alcohol burns things that is why you use it for cuts. I think that the alcohol is damaging the internal chip of the GBA I'am pretty sure that is what the problem is becuase that is what I used to use to clean out my GameBoy Color and I had to buy a new one becuase the guy at the Gamecrazy said that I was doing Damage to it with alcohol. Other than that I can't really help you out much.

If this is really bothering you Make a topic about it in the Help discussion area, more of the Admistrators and the Mod's go there so you could probaly get better help there.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Most likely it's the contacts (the little chips on the ends of the games and the ones in the system that read them). If you remember trying to wiggle your NES game in the system to get it to work, it's because the contacts on the game and the system didn't line up correctly everytime you put it in. SNES was nearly perfect, but several N64 systems had contact problems if you put the game in too far. Giving it a light pull would line up the contacts, and it would work. I don't think that inserting the game is the problem, but maybe its ability to read the types of games.

I don't know much about using isopropyl alcohol, but things such as fax machines recommend you use it to clean them, mainly due to its quick evaporation, unlike water. However, the backs of NES catridges have a list of things not to do to them, and cleaning them with alcohol is included. Isoproply alcohol doesn't burn because it's corrosive, but it also kills cells from your body in the cut. I don't know the effects of it on video games.

Random Fact: Hydrogen Peroxide (HO) comes in a brown bottle because when exposed to light causes it to turn into water.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:04 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

It's funny, I occasionally have this exact problem with my games, all I do is blow on the SP and the game. It always seems to work. So it must the the alcohol. Is it your gameboy or games that's having trouble?

I would give you PsyBucks to send it to get fixed, but apparently they aren't legal tender. :P

Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:34 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

....no,i haven't actually used alcohol-i was asking if it would be a good idea. i wouldn't take that kind of step without knowing it would be safe. but i'm beginning to wonder if my machine isn't just dying anyway....i haven't had a chance to check it today,but last night i did blow into it,and it and it got worse:the screen was going white or with white lines...

doesn't sound good,does it...

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

It sounds like Toilet Time....er...I mean time to get a new GBA/SP/DS.

-Gardevoir~

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:07 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

...yeah...that's likely the situation. just have to figure out how to afford one-and survive GB Withdrawal!! i can't play our 64 anymore,because our couch died too,and lying on the floor,while possible,is tough to get up off! i'm nervous about buying one off eBay,after what happened with my LG cart...but that is prolly the only option we have.

ok,question is,which one? the original GBA or the new flat one? i have pretty bad vision,and have to wear strong magnifing glasses,and a game light...so which has the best picture,and is easiest to see? does the flat one have a lit screen? that would be great if it does.that would be awesome....

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The original GBA and the newer GBA SP have the same screen size, but the GBA SP has a backlight, which lights up little LCD screens. The GBA SP also has a Lithium Ion rechargable battery back, and plus, it's smaller. The only thing the old GBA has that the new one doesn't is a headphone jack. The GBA micro isn't worth considering to buy. It's just really small, and has changable face plates.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:00 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

...yeah...that's likely the situation. just have to figure out how to afford one-and survive GB Withdrawal!! i can't play our 64 anymore,because our couch died too,and lying on the floor,while possible,is tough to get up off! i'm nervous about buying one off eBay,after what happened with my LG cart...but that is prolly the only option we have.

ok,question is,which one? the original GBA or the new flat one? i have pretty bad vision,and have to wear strong magnifing glasses,and a game light...so which has the best picture,and is easiest to see? does the flat one have a lit screen? that would be great if it does.that would be awesome....

Well as I said last time you could buy one from anywere for insnaly cheap.From my own experience I wouldn't buy from ebay. Since it is about around christmas time ask your husband if he could get you one.If you live in Texas then I could drive over and give you my Sp for free. If so PM me if not well............

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

....that is SO sweet of you! thank you! but we had a bit of luck last week-my dad sent some Christmas money,and my husband and i went out last Saturday and had fun! we went by GameStop,and after agonszing over feeling like a Scrooge,buying something so expensive for me,we got the SP for me...and i LOVE it! it is SO easy to see,i can't believe it,the quality is so incredible,and being able to recharge will be such a money saver,and worth it all by itself. the kids are in awe of it,and dying to have one themselves. two of them have my old gameboys,so i'm hoping to be able to get a couple of the older machines for the other two kids,at least. i think i'll send off my GBA to be repaired,and have that as backup,or keept it in my service dog's pack,to play when we are out.

but thank you again for the offer...that really touches me...(((hugs!))) if i had any PsyBucks,i would give you a present! i could make you some kind of little graphic,perhaps?

{jigglypuff}

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Most likely it's the contacts (the little chips on the ends of the games and the ones in the system that read them). If you remember trying to wiggle your NES game in the system to get it to work, it's because the contacts on the game and the system didn't line up correctly everytime you put it in. SNES was nearly perfect, but several N64 systems had contact problems if you put the game in too far. Giving it a light pull would line up the contacts, and it would work. I don't think that inserting the game is the problem, but maybe its ability to read the types of games.

I don't know much about using isopropyl alcohol, but things such as fax machines recommend you use it to clean them, mainly due to its quick evaporation, unlike water. However, the backs of NES catridges have a list of things not to do to them, and cleaning them with alcohol is included. Isoproply alcohol doesn't burn because it's corrosive, but it also kills cells from your body in the cut. I don't know the effects of it on video games.

Random Fact: Hydrogen Peroxide (HO) *It would be H2O2, because these molecules are never by themselves in the atmosphere.* comes in a brown bottle because when exposed to light causes it to turn into water. *I haven't read anything about that. If H2O2 were to decompose into water, that would mean that it doesn't follow the Law of Conservation of Mass, which has been observed by many scientists since the proposal of the idea.*

Anyways.... whenever my GBA isn't working right, I use alchohol. Alchohol vaporizes quickly, unlike water. If you use water, it will short out your GBA. I also reccomend the DS, if your debating whether or not your going to get a new system. Hope I helped!

<center>Image</center>

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Okay then know that the problem is solved this might be locked soon but anyways good for you PikachuMom.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

you guys really did help me choose the best machine,and i appreciate it! i was planning to go the route of getting what i was familiar with,and going on with spending so much on batteries,but this is much more economical in the long run.

...still don't understand what caused the initial problem with my GBA,though-all my games work just fine in the SP,but still only the old games work in the GBA...weird. i want to see about sending it off for repair, i think,and see what they think....a good tuneup can't hurt!

thanks again,all!

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well when ever you need help again just make a topic and you know psypoke will help you :D :D :D

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I have an Sp, have had it for 3 years and it works like a charm still. The only problem is that sometimes the game goes staticy.....I was hearing Scizor's cry for five minutes.....
By the way you're very welcome.
{gardevoir} - See? She told you that an SP was good! Yay for SPs! YAY!

-Gardevoir~

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:00 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Alright, I think Pikachu_Mom has already got her question answered. Don't hesitate to request for help, okay?

~Locked

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:13 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 24 posts ]