It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Pushing the boundries 

Is it valid to use Action replay for pokemon?
No Action Replay is horrible 67%  67%  [ 12 ]
Yes if you make the pkmn your trying to catch lvl 1 and raise it your self 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Of course thats what i do 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18

Pushing the boundries 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Well im wondering what everyones views are on using the action replay to get pokemon
For example: I want to get lugia in pokemmn diamond but i can't log on to the wireless function Is it wrong for me to use a modifier code to make lugia appear at level 1 and not change anything else?
Or is it wrong to use the AR to obtain the azure flute in order to get acerus by the event standards
I personally don't think its wrong to do it when thats the only way to get those pokemon
Well thats all i got to ask (wewt first post of my forum account{i hate wewt})

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:08 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well I certainly find it fair to aquire Event-only Pokemon by using Action Replay when the event never comes to your country. Anyway, you do realise the best trainers around are almost always "cheaters"? In order to be as good as these people, you have to play their game. That's a fact, no matter how many people want to deny it. :lol:

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:14 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

well i never use action replay!
i train my pokemon when i catch them or i trade pokemon!
i think useing action replay takes all the fun from pokemon!trying to find the pokemon and training it!thats the best way!

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:37 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Sapphirath wrote:
Well I certainly find it fair to aquire Event-only Pokemon by using Action Replay when the event never comes to your country. Anyway, you do realise the best trainers around are almost always "cheaters"? In order to be as good as these people, you have to play their game. That's a fact, no matter how many people want to deny it. :lol:

Yeah, I just don't get the point of pokesav'ing or AR'ing pokemon for those perfect 31 IVs, etc. I mean, it takes all the fun out of playing the game. Part of the fun of the depth of the Pokemon games is doing the work and raising your critters yourself.

And I just don't think "Well, I only created the pokemon I wanted at level 1 and raised it myself so its not cheating..." is a valid excuse at all. Its the same thing really. And again, I just don't see the satisfaction in it.

Look for my trade list on the bottom of page 3 in: The New WiFi Trading Thread

SNAKE!'s friend code: 3007 4761 1123
AIM: RyanJMiller2

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:52 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I use AR, but for the following reasons:

-Encountering set in the wild (because my Wifi's broken, this is my only recourse)
-Event Pokemon (obvious reasons)
-Shininess (only if the shiny version looks markedly better than non-shiny. e.g. Giratina does; Blissey doesn't)
-Nature (I remember in Sapphire it took me 15 minutes just to find a female Ralts with Synchronize and a +Spd Nature. I ended up with Hasty and it had a sucky Spd IV. Argh.)
-EV training (Training against Pokemon that give 3 EVs, e.g. Sceptile/Gardevoir, and using Power Items, but no Pokerus, EV training for one Pokemon takes me half an hour. It used to take me 2 hours.)
-Exp. raising (After EV training, I don't want to spend days getting a guy to lv 100 when it could only take me hours. Plus, it helps me to not think about it.)

I do not use it for the following uses:

-Perfect IVs (that would take away the fun)
-*Impossible abilities/movesets (e.g. Magikarp with Fireblast)
-Hacked stats (seriously, a Blissey with base stats of 255 on everything is just too unfair for words.)

I do it on the boundaries of acceptability. I do nothing that would be impossible. I play competitive battles with completely fair movesets and EV trained Pokemon; I pull no punches.

- DNA

*I do have a Raichu with Surf (obvious reasons, plus it isn't completely impossible) and an Arceus with Roost (make him Flying type, then make him lose it to become a ??? type). I don't use either of those in battle, however. In fact, the only legendary I've competitively used is Kyogre, with Mewtwo and Zapdos in-game. And that's it. So don't go calling me cheap for that, because I'm not cheap.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:32 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

DNA wrote:

-Encountering set in the wild (because my Wifi's broken, this is my only recourse)
-Shininess (only if the shiny version looks markedly better than non-shiny. e.g. Giratina does; Blissey doesn't)
-Nature (I remember in Sapphire it took me 15 minutes just to find a female Ralts with Synchronize and a +Spd Nature. I ended up with Hasty and it had a sucky Spd IV. Argh.)
-EV training (Training against Pokemon that give 3 EVs, e.g. Sceptile/Gardevoir, and using Power Items, but no Pokerus, EV training for one Pokemon takes me half an hour. It used to take me 2 hours.)
-Exp. raising (After EV training, I don't want to spend days getting a guy to lv 100 when it could only take me hours. Plus, it helps me to not think about it.)

-Hacked stats (seriously, a Blissey with base stats of 255 on everything is just too unfair for words.)

I do it on the boundaries of acceptability. I do nothing that would be impossible. I play competitive battles with completely fair movesets and EV trained Pokemon; I pull no punches.

- DNA

*I do have a Raichu with Surf (obvious reasons, plus it isn't completely impossible) and an Arceus with Roost (make him Flying type, then make him lose it to become a ??? type). I don't use either of those in battle, however. In fact, the only legendary I've competitively used is Kyogre, with Mewtwo and Zapdos in-game. And that's it. So don't go calling me cheap for that, because I'm not cheap.

those are valid reasons in my opinion very similar to my case, although i dont copy shinies cause i dont find that very fair : / just my personal choice

By hammythepig
-by zombie

(Avatar by dragonvoid)

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:40 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

See, to me it really shouldn't matter what reasons or excuses one gives for "but I only use it for...". I know my view may be more black and white that most peoples, but a cheat is a cheat. Just because you're not TOTALLY cheating, doesn't mean it doesn't count at all.

Quote:

See, to me it really shouldn't matter what reasons or excuses one gives for "but I only use it for...". I know my view may be more black and white that most peoples, but a cheat is a cheat. Just because you're not TOTALLY cheating, doesn't mean it doesn't count at all.

Quote:
Encountering set in the wild (because my Wifi's broken, this is my only recourse)

Ok... If your WiFi is broken who are you really competitive battling with anyway? :-)

Quote:

This is the closest to a valid reason as I can understand. Even then, its not the same as NOT CHEATING. I've got almost all of the legit Event pokes I want, and I've gotten almost all of them through trades. I had to work hard at it, and some of them might have crappy natures or whatever... but they're legit and rare. Its cheating that ruins what would otherwise be their extremely cool rarity/collectibility.

Quote:

Again, good for you if you don't care. But isn't what made the creation of shinies cool in the first place, that it was something rare?

Quote:

But again, some people see the effort its supposed to take to catch and train favorably pokemon as part of the accomplishment. I see this aspect of cheating as just being lazy.

Quote:

-Exp. raising (After EV training, I don't want to spend days getting a guy to lv 100 when it could only take me hours. Plus, it helps me to not think about it.

More laziness in my opinion. Honestly, it doesn't take much more than 30 minutes to EV train even without using an AR. Find the good spots to roam, equip power item, spread pokerus.

And naturally raised level 100's are a cool accomplishment when done legitimately. (ie not spamming rare candies or with pokesav/AR) If you're really concerned about competitive battling, theres a setting for that now. :-)

Quote:

But, to me, you've already taken away the fun of playing and collecting Pokemon.

What you want to do is play NetBattle, and thats fine. But I really feel like its two completely different things. Of course, you're completely entitled to your opinion and what your definition of fun is. And what you want to put into the game and get it out of it too.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:04 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I think I said somewhere else I was super-lazy and didn't want to waste my time on such trivial things as playing Pokemon. Ah well, I'm not going to rail at you for that.
But I am entitled to a rebuttal.

Quote:

I say that to let people know that I am a cheater, but not a cheap@$$ cheater.

Quote:
Ok... If your WiFi is broken who are you really competitive battling with anyway? :-)

I have some friends in real life I battle with occasionally.
Also, Battle Tower.

Quote:
This is the closest to a valid reason as I can understand. Even then, its not the same as NOT CHEATING. I've got almost all of the legit Event pokes I want, and I've gotten almost all of them through trades. I had to work hard at it, and some of them might have crappy natures or whatever... but they're legit and rare. Its cheating that ruins what would otherwise be their extremely cool rarity/collectibility.

The main reason why I hack events is because I hate how they design the event Pokemon that most people will never get them, so I hack them just to spite GameFreak and say "In Your Face".

Quote:
Again, good for you if you don't care. But isn't what made the creation of shinies cool in the first place, that it was something rare?

It's mainly if I find the shiny color aesthetically pleasing. Other than that I doubt I could care less.

Quote:
But again, some people see the effort its supposed to take to catch and train favorably pokemon as part of the accomplishment. I see this aspect of cheating as just being lazy.

Reference the top of my post.

Quote:
More laziness in my opinion. Honestly, it doesn't take much more than 30 minutes to EV train even without using an AR. Find the good spots to roam, equip power item, spread pokerus.

And naturally raised level 100's are a cool accomplishment when done legitimately. (ie not spamming rare candies or with pokesav/AR) If you're really concerned about competitive battling, theres a setting for that now. :-)

Again, reference. As for level 100s raised legitly looking better? To hell with that. Whenever I look at my lvl 100s in Gold or LG, all I think about is "Look at all that time I wasted doing c**p. I know better ways to waste my life than this..."
That's just my personal opinion though. Don't let it cloud your judgment.

Quote:
But, to me, you've already taken away the fun of playing and collecting Pokemon.

You can't take away something that was never there in the first place. The only fun in Pokemon is completing the in-game story mode up to the champ, listening to the cooler musics, and seeing how many time you can whip and mock the E4. (Again, personal opinion.)

What I just wrote in yellow was really what clinched it for me. The fun died when I looked at the back of the box on Ruby/Sapphire:

Quote:
"This game is not compatible with Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal."

That turned my Pokemon obsession from a fanaticism to something that subsisted in so much pain it should have died, but miraculously survived.
In a way I am thankful for it. Because if it didn't die, I wouldn't have found this place and met the many friends I now have. (Practically my only friends.)

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:20 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Thanks for the rebuttal, DNA. Anything I said wasn't meant in a derogatory manner towards you specifically, but more as a platform to voice my own opinion. You seem to have gotten that though. :-)

Just to clarify one part of my post and your subsequent response, first I said:

You replied:

Quote:
You can't take away something that was never there in the first place.

Just in case it may have been taken too seriously, it was really more of a tongue-in-cheek response to you initial statement of:

Quote:

Cue smiley :-P

And in regards to the gap between GSC and RSE being non-compatible I can definitely relate on that one, I think anybody playing Pokemon from the beginning can. Although the switch over hit me a lot less hard than other people, as I had been on quite a bit of a hiatus between releases and therefor didn't feel the sting of all my lost work quite so hard.

And all in all, what it comes down to is that we both enjoy the game in different ways. You're honest, articulate and straight-forward, which is the most you can really ask for a lot of the time, and it is appreciated on my front. :-)

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:43 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Wow :shock: a lot of different views
I use my AR a lot but not for huge purposes like exp and ev training
I use it for the event Pokemon (namely {manaphy})
And for Pokemon i can't really enjoy the game without i never bother with nature or shiny
I just want my {vulpix} even though its cheating i enjoy the game better with my favorite Pokemon in my party.
Making a team of favorite Pokemon is one thing, Making a team of ubers is a another
I'm sorry if i touched a bad nerve with anyone .....
Fun Fact: I don't like fun facts

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:05 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

DNA wrote:

- DNA

My sentiments exactly. We do not go beyond the boundaries of being Fair in battle. And I'm sick and tired of people calling us "Cheap" people who can't get strong through any other method. Anyway, I certainly do not find fighting 100+ Pokemon for EV training, or battling the E4 dozens of times to train to lvl 100, FUN. No Ordinary Human will find doing "Hard Work" fun. Oh and tell me, what is so Unfair about Hacked Shiny Pokemon in battle? The only different thing about Shiny Pokemon is their Colour. I don't see how it'll affect the outcome of a battle. We choose the wiser and much quicker way to aquire our goals. Unlike some stubborn people who insist on training their Pokemon to lvl 100 when they could use cloned rare candies to do so all for the sake of being "Fair and more righteous than people who use Rare Candies". If you wanna be like that, you might as well join the millions of people starving in the world because you wanna be "Fair" to them. Not utilising every resource available to solve your Problems is just being Stupid.
:mad:

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:33 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Sapphirath wrote:

My sentiments exactly. We do not go beyond the boundaries of being Fair in battle. And I'm sick and tired of people calling us "Cheap" people who can't get strong through any other method. Anyway, I certainly do not find fighting 100+ Pokemon for EV training, or battling the E4 dozens of times to train to lvl 100, FUN. No Ordinary Human will find doing "Hard Work" fun. Oh and tell me, what is so Unfair about Hacked Shiny Pokemon in battle? The only different thing about Shiny Pokemon is their Colour. I don't see how it'll affect the outcome of a battle. We choose the wiser and much quicker way to aquire our goals. Unlike some stubborn people who insist on training their Pokemon to lvl 100 when they could use cloned rare candies to do so all for the sake of being "Fair and more righteous than people who use Rare Candies". If you wanna be like that, you might as well join the millions of people starving in the world because you wanna be "Fair" to them. Not utilising every resource available to solve your Problems is just being Stupid.
:mad:

Entitled to your opinion as you are, I don't see the need to get quite so hostile in what seems to be a perfectly reasonable discussion so far. :-) If I'm reading it wrong, my apologies.

But the opposite point of view that you're missing is this. I don't feel like I'm more "righteous" in any way, or that you are in some way "cheap". I simply enjoy and prefer to preserve the elements of Pokemon that make it an RPG experience. Its part of the game, and the effort makes the reward of having really cool and/or battle strong pokes that much better.

If simply entering in what you want and popping it out to battle other human opponents is ALL you're into, thats perfectly fine. I don't say its "unfair" in the sense that you're gaining some huge advantage. But I see it more as playing NetBattle on a cartridge, like I said before.

And I guess that leaves me with a predisposition to only want to battle other trainers who I know went through the same gaming efforts as I did. In essence, its part of the contest as much as selecting what moves to use. But again, I don't begrudge you your own definition of fun, and would certainly hope you gave me at least the same respect.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:00 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about you.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:39 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Using cheating device would actually be a new experience to me, because I've never seen/touched/handled/inserted any into my GB Advance or DS, though I know exactly what would I used for.

As entitled to my opinion as I am, (stiky sentence <.<;) I might say what do I think about the different purposes of cheating.

· Battling irregular wild pkmn: You get to complete your dex way faster, you can do it if you want, and even more if you don't have Wi-Fi.

· Event pkmn: Same.

. Shininess: (Note that you're reading a post from someone who thinks shinies are a waste of time) Lame but, since it doesn't affect the battle, okay.

· Altering Natures: As many of you know, breeding is a lot of honest hard work but, since it's not fun at all, its okay.

· Obtaining EVs in a rather easier way: Same as above, but as in training.

. Raising Exp. like the foam of a just-opened soda: Acceptable, mostly because you have an option for L.100 nowadays, just take your pkmn to [Level] to get it evolved, done.

· Golden IVs: This is cheapness made mathematical.

. Imposible Abilities or Attacks/Hackled Stats: I just get the feeling of introducing my razor to your neck!

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:41 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well,when i play with AR users...i always think:
"Man!I wish i had one of those things..."
I hate having no way of get some events legends...
I hate spending months Ev Training/Breeding/Lv Training...
I would love to make some 31 Iv Shinys... :twisted: ...
I would use it if i have it...
But i wouldn't do like some Idiots that make impossible things...
only if it where just for fun...
Like 999 Attack {weedle} vs 999 S.Att {caterpie} both Shiny :shock:

Cheating is FUN!
But i don't do it because i don't have an AR... :(

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:42 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

i use it for 999 rare candies i can really only train my pokemon to lv 80 by myself and to get event pokemon like darkdai arecus

Team-Electrive,Magmortar,Milotic,Torterra,Staraptor and many others

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:08 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

SNAKE wrote:
Thanks for the rebuttal, DNA. Anything I said wasn't meant in a derogatory manner towards you specifically, but more as a platform to voice my own opinion. You seem to have gotten that though. :-)

No, thank you.

Quote:
Quote:
You can't take away something that was never there in the first place.

Just in case it may have been taken too seriously, it was really more of a tongue-in-cheek response to you initial statement of:

Quote:

Cue smiley :-P

Indeed.

Quote:
And in regards to the gap between GSC and RSE being non-compatible I can definitely relate on that one, I think anybody playing Pokemon from the beginning can. Although the switch over hit me a lot less hard than other people, as I had been on quite a bit of a hiatus between releases and therefor didn't feel the sting of all my lost work quite so hard.

And all in all, what it comes down to is that we both enjoy the game in different ways. You're honest, articulate and straight-forward, which is the most you can really ask for a lot of the time, and it is appreciated on my front. :-)

For the most part, I'm just glad that most of us (you, me, Sapphirath and AABM) see eye to eye on the aspects like that. We (Sapphirath and I) aren't cheap, we have dignity, dignity enough that we always fight at the same level as everyone else deserves to fight competitively. Shiny Pokemon aren't different battle-wise, it's mostly for aesthetic appeal.

AR could be seen as "The end justifies the means". I'm one of those people, yet although we don't take as long to get what we want to achieve as those who don't use AR, it is always the same result. We shouldn't use cheating device to get an unfair advantage on others; no, we should use it to say that we'll still be on your level, no matter what the circumstances.

...Phew, that's the first time I ever remember being philosophical in a post. Well, I'm sure most of you know what my opinion is.
Until next time, DNA over and out.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:40 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

ger911 wrote:
i use it for 999 rare candies i can really only train my pokemon to lv 80 by myself and to get event pokemon like darkdai arecus

You can also use it to check out your pokes IV's; great if you don't have Wi-Fi or no one to IV check with.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:34 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

i have never trained a pokemon with ev's and iv's i really dont know how lolz

Team-Electrive,Magmortar,Milotic,Torterra,Staraptor and many others

Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]