It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Is this really bad? 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Ok, i have been training my party pokémon (duh!), and they are at lvl 36 as of right now. Ever since they were at lvl 22, they have all been training on all {diglett} (even some {dugtrio} [ive been training in diglett's cave]). (Ive been training all on them except for the trainers inbetween training times.)
Ive looked up what ev's {diglett} and {dugtrio} give, its speed. Thinking how many {diglett} and {dugtrio} it takes to get to lvl 36 from lvl 22 (213.625 exp on average for {diglett} and 655 exp on average for {dugtrio} [remember, only {dugtrio} 5% of the time]) is that bad to get so many ev's in speed? Is it too much? Am I screwed?
Plz answer this. Im a tad bit worried.

Last edited by datachange on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:38 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I was wondering the same thing, except in my case, I was fighting x2 {vileplume} for x3 EVs of Spec. Atk.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:16 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well, in-game, ev training doesn't matter.

However, in the metagame (netbattle, careful link battles), you need to count how many you get, and what stat that brings you up to.

blueshirt32's moveset guide on gamefaqs has good speed thresholds, important ones to focus on. however, thats running off of perfect DVs, level 100 stats. Things that you don't need to worry about, in-game.

Not for anything, but speed is one of the more important stats - as opposed to Attack, Special Attack, Defense, and Special Defense, where close counts, its a bit of a clearer line here - that is, 200 speed will always go before 199 speed (bar quick claw - crapshoot item).

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:50 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Thankyou for that explaination. It makes alot of sense.
I took a look at the ev training guide again, and i saw something that i missed in the guide the first time that i read it. the thing i missed is that the maximum ev's per stat is 255. So it looks like this is a good thing and im not in trouble.
Thankyou so much for your help.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:21 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

The maximum is 255, but since EVs run off in multiples of 4 gaining 252 in a stat is sufficient. The extra, unused EVs can be used in an extra stat. For instance, 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP is a possible EV spread. The extra EVs have been used to increase HP by an (rather measly) additional point.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:08 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Why would you care about EVs and DVs anyways?

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:33 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Because both of them influence the stats of the pokemon.

If my diglett has 31 Speed DVs with no evs and a neutral personality, it will be 14 speed points (at level 100) higher than one with 17 DVs.

The 31 Speed, no personality/no evs will be slower than one with no personality/252 EVs (at level 100, it will be exactly 63 stat points lower).

Now lets look at the Diglett with 31 DVs, 252 Speed EVs, no personality modification. Compare that to a diglett with A jolly nature, 31 speed dvs, and 252 EVs - it will be about 10% slower than the one with a +speed personality..

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:48 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm not sure, but what I think what Radio Willy is saying is that in all the Pokemon Games, you only have to rally worry about type dvantages eeing as though the trainers pokemon are much weaker. But EV's are still very important assuming that you battle with other people with game links.

"A recent survey stated that the average person's greatest fear is having to give a speech in public. Somehow this ranked even higher than death which was third on the list. So, you're telling me that at a funeral, most people would rather be the guy in the coffin than have to stand up and give a eulogy." - Jerry Springfield

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:25 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

But then again, it could be the straw that breaks the Camerupts back. I always EV train my Pokemon that I train in game, after I have completed the game for Link Battles, and also I do it while paying the main bit of the game so that I have an advantage over the opposing Gym Leaders.

I think it does matter in game. It helps me complete it slightly easier.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]