It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What 4th gen poke' pronounciatios to you h8? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Buizel's a funny one. I pronounced it Byoosel til I saw the Manaphy movie and heard Ash say Bweesel. Wierd.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

{lickilicky} because i thot it was lillicky so thats how i pronounced it and {giratina} i pronounce it jeerateena and i still dont know if its right...also {lumineon} and i pronounce that loomineeon and dont know if thats right either and the first i had trouble with was {regigigas} cuz i thot you say it as rejeejeegas but i think its rejeegigas cuz that makes more sense

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:48 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

{giratina} {regigigas}
still have no idea how to pronounce both of them :(

By hammythepig
-by zombie

(Avatar by dragonvoid)

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:03 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Gih-ruh-TEEN-a.
Re-ji-GIH-gus.

Well, Suicune was the first one I've come across. I'd always pronounced it SOO-i-soon, but the anime has pronounced it soo-EE-koon and SOO-ee-koon. I think they're right but it's annoying that they swap syllables. Also, the phonetics of soo-EE-koon annoy me.

Buizel is my second. Looking at the word, it appears to be pronounced BWEE-zul. BOO-i-zul is somewhat of a longshot, but since "bui" isn't related to any English word, I pronounce it BOY-zel, regardless, after its Japanese name (Buoysel). Buizel is a corruption of Buoysel.

Palkia is my third. On a TCG commercial that advertises Palkia, they pronounce it PAAL-kee-a (like the name Paul). I pronounce it PAL-kee-a (like the word pal, i.e. buddy, with a short A sound).

After that? Shaymin is one. I pronounce it SHAY-min and SHY-min. When in reality I really have no idea (but I presume it's the former).

Manaphy and Phione are two others. It's pronounced MAAN-aa-fee (like the aa in Palkia, but more drawn out), but I pronounce it MAN-a-free (with a short A sound).

Phione is pronounced fee-oh-nay, but which syllable is stressed, I have no idea.

- DNA

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:12 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

For awhile I had trouble with Ratatta. For the first few years that I was into Pokemon, I pronounced it rat-a-tat-a, until I realized it was pronounced rat-tat-a.

I have a sister named Megan, so when I first saw the English name for Meganium, I pronounced it me-GAN-nium. Now I pronounce it MEH-gan-ium

I also had some conflict with Suicune, but it has been so long since I changed the way that I pronounced it that I can no longer remember how I pronounced it.

I used to pronounce Sceptile SKEPT-tile, and I pronounced Gardevoir gar-DE-v-oi-er, but after hearing their names in the anime a few times, and deciding that those made more sense, I now say sep-TILE and gar-DE-voir, as in reservoir.

I pronounced Kyogre KEY-ogre, then at some point changed it to KYE-ogre.

For Deoxys, I say DEE-oks-siss, although, I'm not sure if that is right.

I pronounce Riolu RYE-loo.

I know that there was a conflict over Weavile while ago, and I emphasise Vile over Vill.

Dusknoir, I pronounce dusk-NOIR, as in foire

I had a little trouble with Regigigas in the beginning, but then I compared it to banana, and the rest of the regis, and I was able to pronounce it after separating Regi and Gigas.

I say SHAY-min.

For Arcues, I'm not quite sure, as he has little or no influence in anything aside from hacked games. I've seen one Sugimori image, and I can't find it again. I pronounce it ARE-sue-sa, the "a" in sa being silent, and emphasizing the long "s".

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:54 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

DNA wrote:
"bui" isn't related to any English word

Well, in Irish, "bui" means yellow, and a lot of English is close to the Irish, e.g. Rugby in Irish is rugbaí (said the same way)

Anyways...

Gible. I used to pronounce it as gib-LEE. Then I saw a Youtube video of someone saying GIB-ull.

Dialga. I used to say Di-AG-la. Then I noticed it was spelt "D-i-a-l-g-a.

Darkrai. I used to say Dak-AR-ee. Then I noticed how it was spelt.

I'm sure there was more that I'm just not thinking of right now.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:52 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

DNA wrote:
Phione is pronounced fee-oh-nay, but which syllable is stressed, I have no idea.

I guess that, from the japanese name, you should stress the last syllable, which would sound like 'fee-oh-NEH'. I don't believe the last one is a "NAY" sound, however, but oh well, it's just me.

Come to think of it, the pronunciation of Weavile, got me a few times, I thought you said it like 'whee-veel' until I heard it from PBR that they said 'WHEE-vuh-eel', it was quite a finding.

I don't really know why many of you got the pronunciation of Buizel odd, to me, from the japanese name, it was simple, bouy as in 'BOO-eeh' and 'zel'... yeah, this was a simple one for me because I know to pronounce Romanisations, it helps.

And as for Shaymin, I used to think it was "SHY-meen" with a kinda short 'ee' sound in the 'meen', but then I heard the japanese commercial of the 11st movie and they said "Sora no haratara (spell issue?) 'SHAY-meen'." again with the short 'ee' sound in the 'meen'.

By the by, "Sora no Haratara" means "Bouquet of the skies" so yeah.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:52 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I go with how something would be pronounced in Japanese for a lot of these things. :/ Riolu, for instance, I say as "Ree-oh-loo".
Also, I'm pretty sure that Weavile's name is pronounced "WEE-vill", given that when you unleash one in Brawl it shoots back and forth shouting something that sounds a lot like that.

Misdreavus continues to confuse me, though. "Mizz-druh-voo" seems to be closest to me; it looks French or something.

Thu May 01, 2008 12:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I couldn't pronounce half of them and I still probably donut pronounce them right.

Thu May 01, 2008 5:19 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, before I actually got data of a Manaphy, I thought it was Manphany. And Arceus. Is it pronounced as Ar-keus or is it Ar-sius? Oh and there was Kyogre...I've always pronounced it as Kio-gre until i heard the anime say Ki-yo-grrr. There was Rayquaza, which I pronounced as Ray-kua-za and Raikou, which I pronounced as Rai-ko until I heard it being pronounced as Rai-ku. Gyrados I pronounced as Gya-ra-doss and Zapdos I pronouned as Zap-doss. Then there was Golem which I pronounced as Go-lum and of course, how could I forget, Venusaur is pronounced as Ve-ner-saur. It's weird sometimes when the speliing doesn't match the phonics at all.

Fri May 02, 2008 10:02 am
I need to shut the **** up

{palkia} I pronounced pal-KAY-ah
{dialga} I pronounced it die-AL-ga
{regigigas} At 1st I pronounced it re-gi-GAS. Now I know my mistake!

OMG! Ender at the End Shop is AMAZING!!! Visit it now: End Shop!!

Fri May 02, 2008 11:44 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

im always trying to pronounce arceus right, i think its ark-ee- us or ar-see-us. im also unsure if i should be pronouncing the e in uxie. the theird generation pokemon i have trouble with are gorebyss wich i think might be gor-bass, glalie i have no idea, altaria ive been pronouncing all-tar-ee-ah, best i can come up with for masquerain is mass- square-rain, i usualy just say that pokemon that starts with a G when refering to gardevoir verbaly. in second generation i only wonder if your supposed to say its a ? and ! for the ? and ! unown or if you just say unkown? as if you were questioning it and unkown! with excitement. all the rest were either easy enough to pronounce or have been in the anime(some im unsure of may have been in episode ive missed)

Sat May 03, 2008 9:25 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Regigigigigigigigigigigigiggigigigigigigigigigigigas

Sun May 04, 2008 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm not sure how to pronounce Drapion

I consider Giratina the 'opposite side' of the mystical Dialga and Palkia, being born when the world was first created. Basically the anti-existence to all the other pokemon.

Sun May 04, 2008 7:20 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Dialga sounded like "DI-al-gla" mixing up the spot where the "L" was.
Buizel also got me.
Phione is another that got me cause it came out as "FI-oh-ne" for me.

You Jump Off The Bridge, Then Ima miss your Sorry Butt

Fri May 09, 2008 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
I need to shut the **** up

DRAY-pi-on or DRAH-pi-on???
{dragonite} {piplup} {chingling}

OMG! Ender at the End Shop is AMAZING!!! Visit it now: End Shop!!

Sat May 10, 2008 4:39 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

{dialga} <<< When I caught it I didn't know how to pronounce it, so I named it Dalglish.
That's what it is to me now, it's what I always call it and refer to it as.
D-A
D-A-L
D-A-L-GLISH
DALGLISH!

..I think I've been watching too much Soccer AM.
xox

Sat May 10, 2008 4:58 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I used to say Rayquaza as Ray-kwa-za until i saw the 7th movie and i was like WTH

I pronounce Arceus as Ars-a-us and Giratina as Jiratina until i heard it on PBR. I think it sounds better as Jir rather than a hard G

Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:52 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I used to think Bidoof was pronounced "bih-doof".

Then I found out it was pronounced "bih-doo-fus".

255 is the true devil's number.

typhlosion blaze wrote:
Wait, the guy who made this topic plays runescape? So 3rd grade.

From my "Stupid Insults" thread, where people tell eachother how people insulted them in a hilariously stupid manner, how ironic!

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Phione - Feeohn. (oh like OMG)
Giratina - Jyrateener
Gyarados - garadose (like overdose)
Suicune - Sooiseen
Arceus - Arseeus
Regigigas - Rejeejeejeejas. (I always say like 5 jee's)

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:20 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

{lucario} = Ru -Ka -Rio (Because japanese version pws)
{bidoof} = Bee -duffy (Don't ask ...)
{regigigas} = Re-Ji-jay-gas
{shaymin} = Shei-me

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:51 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Bushin wrote:

If you're going to be the sort of person who automatically thinks that the Japanese names are better than the English names, even when they usually aren't, you should probably know that the name for "Rukario" has the same pronunciation in both languages.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:00 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Frost wrote:
Bushin wrote:

If you're going to be the sort of person who automatically thinks that the Japanese names are better than the English names, even when they usually aren't, you should probably know that the name for "Rukario" has the same pronunciation in both languages.

Are you serious? I thought that was just a generalization of Japanese people mixing up R's with L's in pronunciation... I'm now inspired to check www.engrish.com every now and again once more.

255 is the true devil's number.

typhlosion blaze wrote:
Wait, the guy who made this topic plays runescape? So 3rd grade.

From my "Stupid Insults" thread, where people tell eachother how people insulted them in a hilariously stupid manner, how ironic!

Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

No; the character for L does not exist in Japanese, so the similar R is used instead.

Ratiosu (Latios), Rukario (Lucario), Ruiji (Luigi; not a Pokemon, but still).

Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:55 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Well, keep in mind that I'm not exactly an expert on Japanese pronunciations or Japanese-to-English conversions, but I'll try to explain it.

The Japanese language doesn't have a specific "L" sound. The names of every Pokemon are written in katakana, which has characters that represent specific syllables. For Lucario's Japanese name, there are four symbols, ????, that create "Ru-ka-ri-o." However, the "R" sound in Japanese is kind of weird, and sometimes sounds like the English "L" sound. If they decide to use the Pokemon's Japanese name in the English version, Nintendo of America usually cleans up the spelling to match the intent of the Japanese version when they translate games. That's why "??? (ru-gi-a)" becomes "Lugia," or why "???? (a-bu-so-ru)" becomes "Absol." It's also why Rukario becomes "Lucario."

So basically, in Lucario's case, both names are meant to have the same pronunciation. It would sound a little bit different to us when said by a Japanese person because of accents and what not, but the name is meant to be the same.

---------------

I really dislike when people blindly praise the Japanese names. Many Pokemon, especially since the third generation games, have the same name in both languages, yet some still go on about how, say, "Rukario" is so much cooler than "Lucario." The Japanese names can also be as boring and uninspired as people claim the English names are. Perfect example: Drowzee's Japanese name is "????," or su-ri-i-pu, which is romanized as "Sleep." Seriously, they gave the name "Sleep" to a Pokemon, which is bad enough, but we also cannot forget that Drowzee has sleep-inducing powers, which makes the name even worse.

For another kind of example, Bulbasaur's Japanese name is a combination of the Japanese word for "mysterious" and the Japanese word for "seed." That kind of combination of words is pretty much on par with a lot of the English names. Some people only seem to like the Japanese names more than the English names because the Japanese names appear more exotic at first glance and/or the people don't actually know what the translated names mean in the first place.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next