It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Battle Tower *is my everest* 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Ok...if this is in the wrong place, my sincerest apologies, I didn't think it belonged in Battle Tower (I know) since it isn't really competetive.

I need some help. The biggest challenge for me on Diamond is trying to get 100 straight wins on the battle tower. I usually run three sweepers, and have never got past 42. Should I be going for a different team strategy? or should I find a better combination of pokemon. Indeed am I just not training them well enough (none are EV trained to a large extent)

please help me, and if anyone has completed this epic acheivement, do tell me how you managed it!

my current team is:

{blaziken} Scar/ Blaziken
Blaze Kick
Brave Bird
T-Punch
Sky Uppercut

{garchomp} Blitz/ Garchomp
EQ
Crunch
Dragon Claw
Dragon Rage (I know :oops: )

{floatzel} Brine/ Floatzel
Crunch
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Strength

Now- I am NO COMETETIVE GAMER, so I just want help for the BT. Also, please dont rate my team, just tell me how to do better in the BT, if that means telling me where my team is going wrong, so be it.

I'm so close to the black card I can almost taste it! *drips saliva*

Thanks in advance to any psypokian who could help me!

Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:58 am
Illiterate
Illiterate

Put in a hazer or a person like an aromatheropist. This works for both battling and BT. But on BT you'll see many opponents with toxic, flame orb+fling and many other things.. Secondly.. Switch Floatzel for a Weezing. Explosion, Haze, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt.

Garchomp/ Dragonite.
Stone Edge/ Stone edge
D-claw/ D-claw
EQ/ Surf
Flamethrower/ flamethrower
( This kills your ice disadvantage, as there are many, many Abomasnows in that place.)

Blaziken/Latios
Flamethrower/ Nasty plot( I dont think you can put that on him so put Calm Mind)
Bulk Up/ Surf
Sky up. cut/ Ice beam
Brave bird/ t-bolt

You can switch latios for-

Bronzong- Lagging tail

Gyro Ball
Psychic
Explosion/ shadow ball
EQ

Try that team. It should get you up into 70s lest not 100... then again I could be wrong... But have fun anyways.

Oh oops, I'll change it.

Diamond friend code: CAMEL 0473 6261 7388
When you want to trade or something, pm me. =]

Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:08 am
easyest way to get through the battle tower is a team of all sweepers as you have now ir a team of sleepers (so much tourture to the comptuer trainers)

i love sleepers

gaurdevaur/wide lens

hypnosis
focus blast
dream eater
thunder

gengar/wise glasses

hypsosis
dream eater
dark pulse
energy ball

then you need a sweeper because i found out 3 sleepers dont work out to well....

Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Abuse the utter lack of Sleep Clause. And remember: Lati@s isn't banned in BT!

That being said, I suggest a team with a fast sleeper, a Soul Dew Lati@s (whichever one you prefer, Latios is recommended for higher SA) and a Wall/Sweeper

I -will- probably run: (yes, haven't finished the game yet. at veilstone)

{yanmega}: Air Slash/Hypnosis/Bug Buzz/Shadow Ball
{latios}: Draco Meteor/Grass Knot/Psychic/Ice Beam
{garchomp}: Swords Dance/Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Brick Break

The Jonatron wrote:
Xatu Unlickely this guy wont get powered.

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:30 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Abuse the utter lack of Sleep Clause. And remember: Lati@s isn't banned in BT!

That being said, I suggest a team with a fast sleeper, a Soul Dew Lati@s (whichever one you prefer, Latios is recommended for higher SA) and a Wall/Sweeper

I -will- probably run: (yes, haven't finished the game yet. at veilstone)

{yanmega}: Air Slash/Hypnosis/Bug Buzz/Shadow Ball
{latios}: Draco Meteor/Grass Knot/Psychic/Ice Beam
{garchomp}: Swords Dance/Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Brick Break

Soul Dew has no effect in the Battle Tower, so you'd be better off using a different item.

Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:09 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Soul Dew has no effect in the Battle Tower, so you'd be better off using a different item.

umm, what? soul dew has no effect at BT? no.

The Jonatron wrote:

Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:16 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Abuse the utter lack of Sleep Clause.

Keep in mind BT hax means they wake up very quickly. I tried to use a Ninjask --> Breloom combo, and got killed because my opponents kept waking up on my Punch turn :(

And, also remember the number of DTers in BT especially those that have some defense - you might want a perfect accuracy move.

And don't forget that a lot of it is luck. Especially when you start facing teams that use OHKO moves (comps get haxxy good acc with those)

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:38 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

right...thanks for all the replies so far

the uber lati@s option, although tasty, is not really an option for me, as I only have one Latios from my emerald, and back then I didnt care about natures and the like.

I seem to be getting this from most people:

3 sweepers
1 phys sweep
1 spec sweep
1 bulky sweep (bit more defensive)

Also with some regular hit moves to do away with DT. i think that now i would look to run:

SPEC SWEEPER
{starmie} Starmie/ {lucario} Lucario
Ice Beam/ Aura Sphere (for DT)
Surf/ Dragon Pulse
T-Bolt/ Shadow Ball
Recover/ Psychic

both have good coverage, but I dont know which to go for. Either way my attack sweeper will be:

{electivire} Electivire
EQ
Thunderpunch
C-Chop/Brick Break
Ice Punch

this guy has HUGE type coverage. Motor Drive makes me lean towards Starmie, as he could switch in on any electric types. However, I'd probably do that for Lucario as well, so we are back where we started. :s

for finish, I was thinking:

{tyranitar} Tyranitar/ {dusknoir} Dusknoir
DDance/ Pain Split
EQ/ Will-o-wisp
Fire Fang/ Fire Punch
(?) / Shadow Sneak

either would be kitted up with defense EVs (obviously Ttar would have more in attack to be a bulky sweeper, not a tank like Dnor) My main reason for maybe runing DNR is to take out the likes of Cresselia for Palmer.

I've also chosen not to include any sleepers, since I have insanely-bad luck in the BT when it comes to the moves hitting, and then the opponent waking up. The haxx would probably be too much for me!

All maths done, it's 4 options. Please tell me your opinions about this setup, especially if I'm stupid trying to run a tank instead of the Focus-Sash-murdering Ttar.

thanks for the help, keep it up!

Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:04 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

All maths done, it's 4 options. Please tell me your opinions about this setup, especially if I'm stupid trying to run a tank instead of the Focus-Sash-murdering Ttar.

No genious, Lucario/Starmie/Electivire/Dusknoir/Tyranitar. It makes five.

Well, if you are thinking of Tyranitar, then Lucario>Starmie and a Gliscor>Electivire. Sandstorm damage can be really vital. By running a Sandstorm team you both poop on their Sashes and get un-damaged by it.

So...
{lucario}: Aura Sphere/Dragon Pulse/Flash Cannon/Shadow Ball
{tyranitar}: Dragon Dance/Earthquake/Crunch/Stone Edge
{gliscor}: Aerial Ace/Stealth Rock/Roost/U-Turn

yay sandstorm teamz

The Jonatron wrote:

Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:50 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Darkstrike_11 wrote:

No genious, Lucario/Starmie/Electivire/Dusknoir/Tyranitar. It makes five.

err, nice sarcastic comment, but just look at the way you spelt your insult, Genius

also, I meant combinations of the pokemon:

Lucario
Electivire
Tyranitar

Lucario
Electivire
Dusknoir

Starmie
Electivire
Tyranitar

Starmie
Electivire
Dusknoir

all combinations= 4 options. Don't be so quick to flame my maths skills (I got A* at GCSE I'll have you know :wink: )

anyway, that aside, the sandstormin' team does appeal, but I slightly doubt it's effectivenes and type coverage.

Soz I got a bit ranty up there, but keep the help coming...

Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:34 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Of those 4, I'd like Star/Vire/Dusk best. Starmie is a nice Special sweeper, if you see an Electric attack coming, switch to Vire and sweep with Motor Drive, Dusk is a tank who can WoW physical sweepers and use Shadow Sneak to do what Tar does with Sand Stream. Starmie can kill most openers on BT, as the AI doesn't switch as much as real players.

Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:18 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

RaichuLatias wrote:

umm, what? soul dew has no effect at BT? no.

Yes, it doesn't have an effect in the Battle Tower, I had it attached for quite awhile on my one and everything was surviving. The time I used Choice Specs out of boredom/frustration the attacks actually fainted them.

It would be too easy if Soul Dew worked, so they put in something to stop it from working in the battle tower. You can attach it and have it on, but it does nothing during battles.

Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:56 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Um, any other proof besides what YOU experienced in the BT? Internet sources, anything?

Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:21 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I actually used the Starmie/'Vire/Dusknoir combo, getting upto about 35-40 at times, but it gets swept by Hax after that point. As cuddles would say, if he was here, a sweeper, a special sponge, and a Phs Wall is your best bet.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:40 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I thought I was sorted with the Star/Vire/Dusk, but now it seems I was wrong.

Jonatron, how any times did you try out that combo? I really need to know if I should invest in making it happen.

I'm also very aware that I have no sure-hit moves, which means any old shuckle with a brightpowder and DT could sweep me in a very embarrassing way :s

Has anyone actually done the near impossible and acheived the 100 streak? I don't think I've met anyone who has!

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:23 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

couple of things - 1) im amazed that soul dew doesnt work!! 2) ive got a 100 win streak (and black card).

my winning team was just my emerald battle tower (that got a 100 battle streak there too). the basic idea behind my team is that you have to be able to not only kill everything in the battle tower, but you also have to be able to survive against everything. blissey can survive against virtually every special sweeper so i have one of those. the other two members are suicune (with hp and def EVs) to counter almost all physical sweepers and doubling as a special sweeper itself, and a choice band salamence to kill most things and use intimidate to help suicune survive against many physical attackers.

{salamence} @ choice band
jolly, 252 spd/atk
earthquake
rock slide
aerial ace
brick break

{suicune} @ chesto berry
bold (the one i actually used was neutral but now i have a bold one) 252 def/hp
calm mind
rest
surf
ice beam

{blissey} @ leftovers
calm, 252 def/hp
thunderwave
seismic toss
softboiled
aromatherapy

the idea is simple enough. wall whatever you need to, and kill the enemies however you need to. ALWAYS try and keep all of your team alive - never make a sacrifice if you havent seen all of your opponents pokemon, because you never know who you will need to beat their last pokemon. ideally, salamence will lower the attack of their first poke, and if they are a physical attacker you can safely switch in suicune and power up with calm mind until it becomes almost invincible, and sweeps their entire team. it takes a bit of practice to make it work, but this combo has got me 100 win streaks in the battle tower in emerald, sapphire, and pearl.

(note that salamence's moveset could be improved by all the new physical moves he gets - especially dragon claw, but i like AA because of the 100% accuracy.)

Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]