It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Natures and Breeding 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

In Emerald, it is possible to increase the odds of a Pokemon Egg inheriting the nature you want by giving an Everstone to its mother with the same nature, or to Ditto if you're breeding with Ditto. The idea occurred to me that it would be useful to have a Ditto of every nature, so that I could use them to create eggs with ideal natures for use in the Battle Palace.

But I'm finding the search to obtain all 25 natures to be a difficult task. I began to wonder, after a long while, whether the odds of encountering any given nature vary, either with the species of Pokemon or the nature itself.

Are the odds equal - i.e. each of the 25 natures has a 4% encounter rate in every species of Pokemon - or do the odds of finding the right nature differ between natures and species?

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:28 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I did have an idea to contribute to this search, though; try breeding two Dittos without Everstones, and simply release the ones that have Natures you don't yet have, and keep the ones that do. Possibly time-intensive, but certainly doeable, and easier (IMO) than trying to catch one of every nature in the Wild.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm not completely sure about breeding dittos together. i think i tried it and it didnt work - someone correct me if im wrong. but anyway, catching a ditto is definitely faster than waiting for an egg to hatch, so you might want to just get lots of ultra balls, and a high level smeargle with false swipe and spore, and you will easily be able to catch lots of dittos. i did this myself and, after catching maybe 30 or 40, i had enough for what i needed. i certainly didnt have all 25 natures, but i did have about 15-20 including modest, adamant, timid, jolly which are the most useful for sweepers, and also hasty which is the most useful for the battle palace. dont forget 5 of the natures are neutral, so you only really need one of them.

if you do that and youre still missing some natures you want, you could have a look at all the pokemon you have with the synchronise ability - if one of them is in the lead spot, then a wild pokemon you encounter has a 50% chance of having the same nature. this might help you complete your ditto collection.

i really wish there were a couple of extra storage boxes in the pc so i could have a complete collection of dittos as well as unowns, and also my well-trained pokemon. oh well....

as for the question about nature distributions, from everything ive experienced, im almost certain that the natures are evenly distributed so yes, it should be 4% each time. this means that if you catch 30 dittos there should be a very good spread of natures. but once you are only missing a small number of them, it will become increasingly difficult to complete the collection! good luck :)

Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:34 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I know I can't breed two {ditto} - it says on this site (in the Breeding section, I believe) that it is impossible to create an egg by placing two {ditto} in the Day Care. Catching them in the wild is the only way to get them, but I use Repeat Balls - they're Y200 cheaper, and since {ditto} is a Pokemon I've caught before, they're also 50% more effective.

I do have a lv49 {smeargle}, but at the moment it only has False Swipe and Swords Dance. I will teach it Spore, just as soon as I trade in my lv60 {breloom} which knows Spore. I always use Double Battles to teach {smeargle} new moves, because by checking both Pokemon's Speed, I can be sure when Sketch will be successful.

The only nature I'm still missing is Naive, and I have {umbreon} in my Sapphire game which has that nature. Once I transfer it to Emerald, I'll be in with an excellent chance of getting the final nature for my collection.

Thanks for your advice, everyone!

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:42 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The only nature I'm still missing is Naive, and I have {umbreon} in my Sapphire game which has that nature. Once I transfer it to Emerald, I'll be in with an excellent chance of getting the final nature for my collection.

thats very lucky!!!! it should be easy to get a naive ditto now. dont bother teaching spore to your smeargle unless you want to for other reasons. just use whatever method you used to obtain the other dittos.

a complete ditto collection........ you sound really obsessive - like me!!

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:36 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

thats very lucky!!!! it should be easy to get a naive ditto now. dont bother teaching spore to your smeargle unless you want to for other reasons. just use whatever method you used to obtain the other dittos.

a complete ditto collection........ you sound really obsessive - like me!!

Obsessive is the word. I love to collect things - I don't have a Pokemon trading card collection, because I predict that I would quickly go broke if I did. But I've got a complete Unown alphabet, including the new :?: and :!: Unown. Took me ages to find them all, but it was really satisfying when I finally completed the collection.

I'll still teach Spore to my Smeargle, simply because even after I find and capture a Naive Ditto, there's always the chance of running across that elusive Shiny Pokemon. If I do find one, I want to make it as easy as possible to catch it. Once I've raised a Pokemon to learn moves such as False Swipe and Spore, which make captures much easier, I carry that Pokemon with me everywhere in case a shiny shows up.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]