It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Back with another Combo 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Hello, I created another topic like this before, where I posted an Attack Combo that I created and tested to see if other people's judgements showed that it might work or not. Well if not, anyways, I've come up with another combo (although Im not COMPLETELY sure whether somebody else has already came up with it or not, so Apoligies to him or her).

Basically, it consists of the moves Destiny Bond & Substitute. Quite a few pokemon can learn both of these moves, but in this case, I'll choose Gengar as an example. So scroll down for the moveset given to Gengar:

ImageGengar @Focus Band/???
Nature:Timid-Trait:Levitate
-Focus Blast/Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball
-Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt
-Substitute
-Destiny Bond

:idea: Gengar will gain a Speed boost thanks to it's nature. The Combo works like this. Substitute will basically be used each turn, IF it's destroyed on the same turn used, until it's HP comes down to maybe 1/2 or 1/4 of the bar. Then, if Gengar's fast enough AND the foe ATTACKS after Gengar, can use Destiny Bond before it's knocked out, thus taking the foe with it.
This combo could be used to take down strong OU/Borderline pokemon, like Salamence and Metagross for examples maybe. Attacks are included for if Gengar is still using a Substitute. Focus Blast can *hopefully* be used to OBLITHERATE any Tyranitars used in battle. Shadow Ball would gain STAB and can be used to take out any Ghosts plus Psychics like Alakazam. Sludge Bomb would also gain STAB but may not be as useful as the other moves. Thunderbolt could, well, be used to take out Gyarados' and do damage on, say, Milotics maybe?

Please give me your judgements on this moveset PLUS the Combo. Just no harsh words, Thank You :wink:

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:53 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:35 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The problem with your list is that gengar cannot take hits well at all. 1-2 hits and hes dead. My suggestion would be to leave him as a strong special sweeper because thats what he is good for. Substitute is mainly good on pokemon that can afford the life loss or gain it back. Gengar isnt one of them.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:39 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Since both moves are kinda used the way they are intended to it's kinda straight forward.

The problem I see is that the substitute doesn't seem necessary for the combo, especial considering how much damage gengar takes. Just need a good idea of what would and would not ko it.

Also Alakazam ohkos gengar and is much faster, so no surviving unless you have a focus sash. Which would work pretty cool unless he has one too.

I do approve Focus blast and shadow ball. Focus blast particularly because dark types get a pretty heft advantage over a lot of ghosts.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

The problem with your list is that gengar cannot take hits well at all. 1-2 hits and hes dead.

That's part of this Gengar's purpose. Apart from using the attack moves, Gengar can use Substitute from the beginning, to using life loss as an advantage WITHOUT getting knocked out. Then, maybe if Gengar held a Salac Berry, when using Substitute till his HP reach to a 1/3-1/4 of it's Max. left, The Salac berry will raise it's Speed to try and outspeed it's foe if it were fast, also it's nature will boosts it's Speed aswell. So when Gengar uses Destiny Bond, and that the foe knocks it out after use of DB, then the foe will be taken down.
My suggestion, is that this combo can be used to take down any strong Sweepers like Salamence or Rhyperiors for examples. This all was just to ensure if what you think the Gengars purpose was was other than what I've just explained.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:48 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Gar will speed past anything without a Choice Scarf. It doesn't need Substitute at all, just give it the Focus Band, and when he's going to be OHKO'd (because almost anything will OHKO him due to his low HP and defenses), Focus Band will save him, and so you can either afford another attack to kill, or Destiny Bond to blow them away.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:14 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Gar will speed past anything without a Choice Scarf. It doesn't need Substitute at all, just give it the Focus Band, and when he's going to be OHKO'd (because almost anything will OHKO him due to his low HP and defenses), Focus Band will save him, and so you can either afford another attack to kill, or Destiny Bond to blow them away.
Gengar isn't That fast. I can name a number of popular pokemon off the top of my head that are faster.

I think most people prefer forcus sash because focus band has a high % of doing nothing.

But for the most part I agree.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

FatalFlaw wrote:
Gengar isn't That fast. I can name a number of popular pokemon off the top of my head that are faster.

I think most people prefer forcus sash because focus band has a high % of doing nothing.

But for the most part I agree.

Hmm, you both have points :(...
Beh, I gave another try once again. I still have around 7 more weeks till D/P comes out in UK. I'll still keep finding different combos of my own for now...

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:11 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

My fault.

Yes, a couple of pokemon are faster then him, but there are plenty that are not. There is usually one or two really fast pokemon on a team, once they get taken out, Destiny Bond Gar can really shine.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]