It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 pokemon to get after your starter? 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

ive just started soul silver and i got cyndaquil, i havent got any badges at the moment
im not sure what pokemon to catch, i was thinking get a mareep but then i wont be as good against rock and ground pokemon but mareep with be able to beat my rivals totodile. then get a heracross for a fighting pokemon for the 3rd gym.
also need a water pokemon and physhic pokemon and dont know what to have for my 6th pokemon
anyone got any good ideas?

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:17 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

This is how I did it. I used Cyndaquil for my starter. I then collected a HootHoot for my flying/psychic type. I caught a mareep to use against the flying tye gym, and decided to keep it through the rest of the game because it learned a useful bug type move. I used a Psyduck at first for my water type, teaching it to surf, before catching a Jynx later in the game and switching them out. Sentret was my HM slave, but when I reached the Elite 4 I switched him out for a Golem that I had been training on the side. I decided to use Sunkern as my grass type because I had never used one before. Might not have been the best team but it got me through the game.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Mareep, Gastly, Wooper, stuff. Johto is full of little badass powerhouses that you can get really early on and fry the game for you

Alternately you can walk forever and unlock Pokéwalker routes until you get access to something you like. Onix, Kangaskhan, Ponyta, Magnemite, Magby, Smoochum, all obtainable before you even get to Violet City. First thing I did was get Beautiful Beach open so I could get me a Poliwag. Did it take forever? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Mareep and Wooper are hard to train at first, but are totally worth it later on and can round out your team nicely. If you don't like them though, you can always make your own team. Part of what makes the game fun is building a team of pokemon you like, regardless of what others say. Sure a team of all water or fire types is going to have poor coverage, but if those are your favorite Pokes, then roll with it.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:05 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Somme1 wrote:
Mareep and Wooper are hard to train at first, but are totally worth it later on and can round out your team nicely. If you don't like them though, you can always make your own team. Part of what makes the game fun is building a team of pokemon you like, regardless of what others say. Sure a team of all water or fire types is going to have poor coverage, but if those are your favorite Pokes, then roll with it.

{mareep} isnt hard to train.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I have to agree. Mareep really isn't hard to train, it learns an electric move at a decent time for the first gym, and down the road the moveset isn't terrible. I hated wooper though. My second time through, that thing took forever to get to a level I wanted with the moves I wanted without cheating.

Last edited by Den-Den on Mon May 26, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:06 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I actually tried Mareep out for my Electric type. It worked pretty nicely and held me all the way up to Ecruteak...then I saw Magnemite and fell in love. Ampharos and Magnezone are both equally slow, but Magnezone just has a crapton of defense and resistances to go with him, plus one of the highest Special Attack stats out there.

Granted, you might not have a Sinnoh game, but Magneton is still quite respectable. (He's actually a little faster than Magnezone too, which is a nice perk).

One Pokemon I always try to take advantage of in my Johto playthroughs is Dratini - particularly the one you get later that has ExtremeSpeed. Yeah, you only get it at level 15, but the level-grind is so worth it in the end.

But the PokeWalker is such an amazing tool to get stuff in the early game; I'm so disappointed in myself for not taking full advantage of it. (And now it's lost, so boo...)

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]