It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Battle tower pokemon choosing strategy. 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I've looked everywhere for a guide or some help to choosing a team to beat the battle tower, but all I can find are peoples teams that won. Can anyone give advice, or list their winning teams to give me ideas. In return I will give you a good pokemon. Yes, I realize the hipocracy.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LegsCurry wrote:
I've looked everywhere for a guide or some help to choosing a team to beat the battle tower, but all I can find are peoples teams that won. Can anyone give advice, or list their winning teams to give me ideas. In return I will give you a good pokemon. Yes, I realize the hipocracy.

Trick teams are usually the best in the Battle Tower. A lead like Latias is excellent for Trick teams. Usually with a Trick team, you'll want some Pokemon that can boost to massive stats AND cover the weaknesses of your Trick lead. Registeel is a good example (Curse, Amnesia). Drapion as well (Acupressure). You'll also want to use the move Substitute, because Substitute is the ultimate protection (you'll need it, trust me. Quick Claw Horn Drills and Sheer Colds are just evil).

You could take a look at the successful teams that people used in the Battle Tower at Smogon (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52858). Just click on one of the teams and read about their strategy.

3DS FC: Snail 4527-8592-7979

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:57 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thanks, but can you explain trick team to me? Thanks.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:37 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Oh, and I don't like to use legendaries. Thanks

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LegsCurry wrote:
Thanks, but can you explain trick team to me? Thanks.

LegsCurry wrote:
Oh, and I don't like to use legendaries. Thanks

Well, that's a problem, because most of the good Trick leads are legendaries. =
You could try Togekiss or something as your Trick lead if you really don't want to use a legendary.

Okay, so I'll explain the trick team.
Let's say you start off with Togekiss vs. Drifblim set four.
Drifblim set four is Lax Incense/Docile/Shadow Ball/Air Cutter/Silver Wind/Explosion (in Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver that is. In Diamond/Pearl its different).
Togekiss uses Trick (Drifbilm receives Choice Scarf); Drifblim would probably use Air Cutter since it's the only neutral attack that isn't Explosion. Trick teams exploit the AI's weakness - the AI almost never switches. So now that they are locked into Air Cutter, you can switch into something that resists and has high defenses. Bronzong is an example. Now, while they are doing lol damage to you, just start using Iron Defense, Calm Mind and Substitute (you'll want Leftovers for your item).

...After you've finished boosting, they'll probably start Struggling (which as usual does lol damage). You'll have four times your Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense. No Pokemon can do more than like 20 damage to you now (barring critical hits and OHKO moves, but that's what Substitute is for). Then use Flash Cannon or something and demolish their team with your ridiculous stats.

You'll also want something that boosts quickly as your third Pokemon. Garchomp and Salamence are good choices (Swords Dance/Dragon Dance). You'll definitely want Substitute as usual, and two attacking moves, probably Outrage and Earthquake.

Try and design a team around these ideas. If you want to find out what Pokemon learn what set of moves, use this search: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/search.php?type=moves
Feel free to post a team you've designed and I'll try and see if there are any Pokemon that are problematic.

Also, you'll definitely want Battle Tower lists, for both the Pokemon and the trainers (the Pokemon that you face is dependant on the trainer).
Diamond/Pearl lists: http://www.psypokes.com/dp/battletower_teams.php
Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver lists: http://www.psypokes.com/platinum/frontier_teams.php

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:50 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thanks, I also noticed people use starmie a lot as the trick lead. Would the high d
Efense pokemon you spoke of just have high defense spc defense and have few weaknesses?

Oh, and I was wa looking at your trading page and noticed you were Australian. Me too. Lol.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:08 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LegsCurry wrote:
Thanks, I also noticed people use starmie a lot as the trick lead. Would the high d
Efense pokemon you spoke of just have high defense spc defense and have few weaknesses?

Oh, and I was wa looking at your trading page and noticed you were Australian. Me too. Lol.

Starmie? As a trick lead? No, Starmie is a fast sweeper instead. Do you intend to get to 100 or 49? (49 for the second Tower Tycoon battle) If 100, then you'll probably want to go with a Trick team. If 49, a team of fast sweepers with good coverage is good enough (stuff like Starmie and Weavile).

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:39 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I intend on 100. What would the third pokemon be in the trick team. And is EV and nature training nessscacary, or does it just help.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LegsCurry wrote:
I intend on 100. What would the third pokemon be in the trick team. And is EV and nature training nessscacary, or does it just help.

Depends on who best covers your weaknesses. I noticed that Togekiss is weak to Electric, and Bronzong does not resist it. Therefore, Swords Dance Garchomp is probably a good choice.

Having the right EVs and nature is very important. If you don't have the right nature, Bronzong may be KOed by certain opponents. If you don't have the right EVs, there are certain Pokemon that will give you a lot of trouble.

You might want to take a look at the Battle Tower lists on Psypoke. Using the stat calculator, you can figure out your opponent's stats, and using the damage calculator, you should be able to work out an optimal EV spread to give the best defenses. I would recommend a Calm nature or something for Bronzong, seeing as Bronzong will have Iron Defense to quickly boost its Defense. Oh, and when creating an EV spread, just make sure that your HP is not divisible by four (this allows you to create more Substitutes).

Post your team once you've formed a team, with EV spreads and natures. If you don't want to go through all of the work calculating and that kind of stuff, then just try use a team that's already created and proven to be successful. Many of the strategies are all the same.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:00 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

You are awesome. Ok, I'll think up 3 pokemon, and work out ev charts and the like. I'll post questions and progress if you want. By the way, what was your team?

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:15 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LegsCurry wrote:
You are awesome. Ok, I'll think up 3 pokemon, and work out ev charts and the like. I'll post questions and progress if you want. By the way, what was your team?

I just run the teams that are posted in that Smogon Battle Frontier Records thread. I really can't be bothered doing all sorts of damage calculations, and I have pretty much everything accessible to me, which allows me to replicate those teams exactly. (I've just been using Latias/Registeel/Salamence and Mesprit/Drapion/Garchomp)

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:00 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Should my trick lead be fast?

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:36 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LegsCurry wrote:
Should my trick lead be fast?

Remember that trick leads use a Choice Scarf, so generally you won't need that much speed EVs. If I recall correctly, the fastest Pokemon in the battle tower is Electrode or something which hits like 211 Speed. Electrode isn't much of a threat to Trick teams, which means you can aim for the level below it (200 speed: Aerodactyl, Jolteon, Crobat). So yeah... enough Speed EVs to reach 134 Speed at level 50. With the Choice Scarf that becomes 201.

My Trick lead only has 132 Speed, so sometimes you won't even need to go for a Speed stat that high.

Here are the Battle Tower Speed Tiers: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.p ... count=1047

Try and outspeed Weavile, because he hits most Trick leads for super-effective damage and will generally be annoying to deal with.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:21 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm thinking gallede as the trick lead, but it's a bit slow.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:36 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ok, if you think it would work, gallade, ev trained in speed, with trick, thunder wave, charm and Flash. What do you think?

Also, what is a sweeper?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:13 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ok, I'm on a role, how about magnazone with magnet rise, to avoid ground attacks, an electric move, role play, and something else, maybe a metal move , I'm not sure. What do you think.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:29 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LegsCurry wrote:
Ok, if you think it would work, gallade, ev trained in speed, with trick, thunder wave, charm and Flash. What do you think?

Also, what is a sweeper?

The moves for Gallade are the right moves, but I still don't know if Gallade is the right Pokemon. It has a low HP and defense stat which may prove particularly problematic when taking strong physical hits, so quite often you'll need to Charm first. You'll still need to put a lot of EVs in speed because you don't want too many Pokemon outspeeding you. Because you'll be putting more and more EVs into Speed, you'll be putting less into your Defenses.

'Sweeping' a team is pretty much KOing many of their Pokemon.

LegsCurry wrote:
Ok, I'm on a role, how about magnazone with magnet rise, to avoid ground attacks, an electric move, role play, and something else, maybe a metal move , I'm not sure. What do you think.

Magnezone may have a lot of resistances, but it doesn't have many useful boosting moves. Don't bother with Magnet Rise and Role Play. You'll only need one attacking move, because the rest of the slots will be occupied by stat boosting moves - and Substitute.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

My third pokemon would have to cover magna zones ground weakness, wouldn't it. Is magna zone a good choice?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:47 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LegsCurry wrote:
My third pokemon would have to cover magna zones ground weakness, wouldn't it. Is magna zone a good choice?

You cannot use Magnezone because it doesn't have offensive boosting moves. You can't use stuff like Metagross either since he doesn't have offensive stat-boosting moves.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:23 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hmmm. Ok, so I'll have to choose a pokemon with few weaknesses, and with stat boosting moves? Grrr, this is gonna take a while. Any non-legendarie suggestions?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:00 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm Sticking with gallade, do you think I should?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LegsCurry wrote:
I'm Sticking with gallade, do you think I should?

You can give it a go, but don't expect to be able to cripple the opponent as much as Latias can. What do you intend to use as your set-up sweeper?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:33 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

If you mean the fail magnezone, I was going to replace him wihh salamance, with Double team, substitute, a decent attacking move and another move. And how would I be able to get latiasin the first place?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:45 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Outrage and drake meteor, maybe? Maybe not drake meteor. I have emerald, but I think I chose latios.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:56 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Should ivs be taken into account, because they are just annoying.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next