It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New comer with newbie questions about Diamond and Pearl EV! 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I just found out about EV training today, on this site. The document was really good, but there are some things that weren't crystal clear to me yet.

1st of all I have pokemon that I've played the game with "normally" meaning they are all around levels 40-50... is it to late to EV train them? Is EV training only do-able with new pokemon (freshily captured or breed)? I'm assuming once u battle with them and they gain even a single level it's too late to EV train them correcT?

2nd of all... say I want to EV train a bagon (Speaking of which I really need a bagon if anyone can trade me one for something let me know, i'm new so i dont have much, any bagon is fine)... sorry to get off track... anyway say i'm EV training or plan to EV train a bagon the bagon would have to be a traded one. My question is do pokemon that get boosted experience have worser stats at level 100? I hear rumors that since they level faster their stats suck.. or some BS... i hope not because I'm working on a lucky egg for that bagon ;)

Someone please answer :)

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:10 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

prenceofdarkness wrote:
I just found out about EV training today, on this site. The document was really good, but there are some things that weren't crystal clear to me yet.

1st of all I have pokemon that I've played the game with "normally" meaning they are all around levels 40-50... is it to late to EV train them? Is EV training only do-able with new pokemon (freshily captured or breed)? I'm assuming once u battle with them and they gain even a single level it's too late to EV train them correcT?

2nd of all... say I want to EV train a bagon (Speaking of which I really need a bagon if anyone can trade me one for something let me know, i'm new so i dont have much, any bagon is fine)... sorry to get off track... anyway say i'm EV training or plan to EV train a bagon the bagon would have to be a traded one. My question is do pokemon that get boosted experience have worser stats at level 100? I hear rumors that since they level faster their stats suck.. or some BS... i hope not because I'm working on a lucky egg for that bagon ;)

Someone please answer :)

If you have trained with them before learning about EV training it still isn't to late. There are certain berries that will decrease EV's ((I'm not good with that so someone else will have to help you there)). You can pretty much reset the EV's even if you got the Pokemon at level two and it's level ninety-nine.

Traded Pokemon don't have worse stats. Natures, IV's, and EV's are the only things that effect stats ((correct me if i'm wrong)). Some people prefer traded Pokemon so it doesn't take as long to train after they have their EV's established.

Hope I helped :)

This could have been answered in the Questions thread, but oh well.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:55 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm sorry to ask if this is for real.. for the longest i was so freaking upset that i had to retrain all my guys from level 1 lol.

Obviously I have no clue where my IV's have gone so i'd have to give all my guys like 11 of each berry... lmao thats like.. uhhhh o_O 396 berries for 6 of my guys... 330 since i only have 5 people.

You really made my night lmao thank you very much!

So just to make sure i understand it, all i gotta do is use the berries on all my guys and their IV points will be gone even though the entire game i've been killing things? Even chimchar/infernape right? :)

Are the berries listed in GAMEFAQS.com that say they only in emerald work in D/P?

Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:39 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

These are not IVs. IVs are equivalent to DVs, and they are totally different from EVs.

The EV-reducing Berries only work in Emerald if I'm not wrong. I'm not too sure if they work in DP.

And whether you EV train at level 50 or at level 80, as long as the Pokemon gains the same amount of EVs, it'll end up with the same stats anyway. Trading doesn't affect EV gain either, and therefore would not result in poorer stats. It only boosts EXP gain, so trading is advantageous.

Hopefully this addresses some of your concerns.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:38 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

if you get all the EVs for the right stats at level... say 50, you can do as you like and train as you please. the berries in question are the 'increases happyness but lowers base (stat). you won't need 11 berries for each stat, once you lower the stat to minimum you just get told 'it won't have any effect'

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:21 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Personally, I'd breed new ones. Seems like too much effort to give them all tons of berries, just so you can EV train pokemon that probably have awful natures and IVs.
Not to mention you can breed better movesets onto the new pokemon.

Leveling doesn't take very long either once you beat the Elite Four. Only takes a few E4 runs to get to level 50, and that's all you need (multiplayer puts your team up to level 100, and the battle tower brings you down to 50, all temporarily of course).

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:52 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

yeah, leveling isn't much of a problem now.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:50 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Does this mean that you are able to EV train more than once? Or does the pokemon actualy loose the stats gained from previouis EV training aswell?

Example:

Say Blaziken has 250 Speed stats, would using the berries reduce it to say, 200?

I'm guessing that it takes the equivilant stats to the number of Evs gained previously, but if anyone could shed some light on this, it would be awesome.

Also, Prence, I'de grab a Macho Brace an infect your pokemon with Pokerus for notoriously fast EV training. Where it wouldhave taken the best part of a day, it only takesw a few hours :D

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:27 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

to get a stat from 255 to 0 it take 11 berries. the first takes it down to 100 if it's abouve 100.

(there is also 'power' items available from the battle tower that have the poke gain +4 EVs to a stat/poke so if you have say... You kill 1 zubat while you have a power anklet on and pkrs you will gain 10 EVs.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]