It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Killed my RNG 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I started playing my game of emerald on my phone again for the first time in months, and felt like changing my username. After much research and failed attempts, I succeeded. Un(?)fortunately, somewhere along the way I had killed my RNG, making it always return the same value to anything asking for a bit of randomness. This made a few mildly interesting effects in the game like:
- Attacks with ~55 accuracy or less will always miss. Anything above will always hit.
- Because of ^, 3 Double Teams makes almost all moves miss.
- No wild pokemon. Not while surfing, spelunking, hiking, or whatever. I haven't tried fishing or Sweet Scenting yet.
- ^Makes it really easy to collect ash.
- Attacks like Fury Swipes and Arm Thrust always get 5 hits.
- Magnitude is always Magnitude 7.

I'm still looking for some interesting visual glitches, but I'm not sure where I'd find something like that. As far as I remember, no graphical effects in Emerald rely on randomness. Not even the falling ash, unfortunately. The most interesting thing that comes to mind that relies on the RNG is the battle frontier. That place is built entirely on randomly generated content.

Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wow nice! xD Have you tried the lottery tickets? And is the time still stable? (could be fun for events)

Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:52 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah, time's still working right as far as I can tell, but the mirage tower is always visible and it doesn't seem to ever rain. I haven't made it as far as lilycove yet, but I should be there soon.

I just ran into a trainer who used double team which made his taillow invincible, since I didn't have any moves that never miss. I had to wait for all its PP to run out so it would struggle itself to death.

Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

More goodies:

Moves like whirlwind always pick the second slot. If that slot is unavailable because the pokemon is fainted or is in battle, the game will ask for a new random number, but it will always try the second slot, freezing the game. The random number is asked for before the attack animation plays, and it doesn't play until it decides on a slot.
http://imgur.com/QGjiNM7

Sometimes moves freeze the game. I don't know why, but since the music still plays I imagine it's something to do with the game repeatedly asking for a new number from the RNG.

I found the cheat code that caused this. It's this code breaker code that was labeled as a master code:
00006FA7 000A
1006F5CC 0007
83005D80 61A6
83005D82 0A35
You can turn the RNG on and off by enabling and disabling this code.

NPCs that wander randomly take a step to the right and then freeze there for all eternity.
http://imgur.com/aYAzdeP

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Made it to fortree.

Certain AIs get really stupid. For example, the invisible kecleon do nothing but use screech over and over, far past the point where I've hit rock bottom as far as defenses go. Sometimes trainers will also use one move over and over until they die or run out of PP in that move, although usually it's one that the RNG has broken, like supersonic or double team. It seems like once the difficulty level has dropped past a certain point, all move decisions rely solely on the RNG.

I'd like to amend my previous statement about the weather by saying that it rains nowhere besides the route between fortree and mauville, which rains all the time. I'm checking out how this affects berry growth in the area.

A battle will always end the same way if fought the same way. I found this out when crashes and not saving forced me to fight my dad and most of his gym 3 times before I realized that I could fix the RNG by turning off the master code temporarily.

Protect always works twice in a row and fails the third time.

Not all NPCs will step in the same direction and freeze. One female NPC in fortree steps up before going dormant. I think it varies with the type of wandering they do, same as the NPCs that look around randomly. For example, NPCs who look left and up my freeze up, but NPCs who look up and down might freeze down.

A kecleon (capture rate 200) can be caught with full health by a pokeball, which doesn't seem possible according the the advance generation catching guide found in victory road.

The 2 kecleon I caught both had the same nature and the same ivs. They have a timid nature, either 30 or 31 in both HP and SPD, 17-19 in defenses, 4-9 in attack, and 4-6 in special attack.

The lotto ticket is always 35451

Nature power freezes the game in tall grass until the RNG is fixed. What randomness does that move have that makes it wait for the RNG?

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

For nature power, maybe it chooses a value which doesn't have a move set. Can you try with metronome too?

What about Hidden Power? I wonder if all the Pokemon have the same IV's.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:55 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

More goodies:

All pokemon that are encountered while the cheat is on will have the same IVs, same nature, and the same hidden power. The trick is encountering one without turning the cheat off. I still need to try Sweet Scent.

Metronome always picks megahorn.

Other moves besides Nature Power with indefinite but predictable effects (ones that shouldn't require the RNG) like Mirror Move will freeze the game until the RNG is fixed.

In double battles, the enemy almost always goes for the guy on the right. I haven't actually seen a situation where they go after the pokemon on the left, but I think this is due to the difficulty on double battles being set lower than normal battles, because they also typically reuse the same move over and over..

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]