It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Pokemon Bank 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Anyone gonna use this? Y500/£3.25/$5/€3.80 a year?

I'm worried it wont recognise my chained Emerald 'mon or something though.
Or that critters i've had for 8 years will disappear in a server crash or something one day

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:54 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Do I plan to use PokeBank to leave pokemon to my grandchildren? No… I'd rather just leave them my games, instead, and train them in the ways of being a Pokemon Master™ while allowing them to form bonds with pokemon of their own, and then, when I'm about to die, put all of my best and favorite pokemon on my favorite game at the time, and have it buried with me… Don't look at me like that, I'm not being melodramatic, I swear!

Do I plan to use PokeBank to plan for my eventual burial? Sure, why not.

Seriously, though, yes, I do plan to get PokeBank, if only to allow free and (hopefully) quick transfer between games, and as a breeding assistant.

I don't quite know where you got that price range, though. I haven't heard of it anywhere else, and the official site doesn't make any mention of it.

As for the worry of crashing, well, buy Carbonite. Or keep fully detailed records of your important pokemon, and buy a Create-A-Poke app on your smart phone. In the case of world wide electronic crashes, though, well then we're all doomed for different reasons.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:52 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:
I don't quite know where you got that price range, though. I haven't heard of it anywhere else, and the official site doesn't make any mention of it.

The Japanese site mentions that the price will be 500 Yen per year. Based on how Nintendo does conversion factors for their wares, he has accurate figures.

It's definitely nice, but I will not have need for 3000 extra box spaces. Whatever is in-game will most likely be more than sufficient. As for the transfer aspect, I went into this big exposition on another site about why that part of the service should be free (and leave the cloud storage as the paid bit), which I don't feel like c/ping right now unless asked.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:57 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Alright, then. I was looking at the American site. If they were to give it for Japan, why not world wide, alongside everything else?

Sure, I would get Bank for that.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:46 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

No.

First off youll probably need a credit card, something I dont have and Am not willing to get. Secondly, I see no need for it.

Yes, I breed to get a good Pokemon once I finish the game and to take on WiFi Tourneys/ the "challenge areas". But I dont need a space that big. Also, in my mind it would just be a waste, since ten to one they would just sit there and not get used.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:46 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

At the moment I have 649 pokemon. All hard earned over the years. Within the last year I have gone into a gamestation as a 31 year old bloke and asked the kid behind the counter for a Genesect because the wifi wasn't set up so I could just loiter and do it myself. I've hammered Emerald and then raced around pal park, shot stupid arrows at pink clouds and hopping mon and grinded the hell out of various breeding dens.

Now, after many many years of work I have 649 pokemon and space for 720.
X/Y will bring out more than 71 pokemon obviously, but now they have something they can charge for i'm not going to bet that they make it easy for me to just use the free service!

Im also worried because over the course of various trades I have a lot of "Apparently met" descriptions on my 'mon.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:49 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:
First off youll probably need a credit card, something I dont have and Am not willing to get.

To be fair, you can buy 3DS games etc with prepaid eShop cards; they come in denominations of $20, $35, and $50, and can be found at Gamestop and a few other places.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:14 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'll ask this; Do I need the bank to transfer 'Mons? Because I have no need of it otherwise. I just need to get my Five and my Legacys (Yes, I have names for collective groups of my Pokemon) down in my X or Y, and I'm set.
Honestly, except for people who collect ALL the pokes like Super, who needs space for 3000?
Then again, how cool would it be to store up that many Ralts and Evos...

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711

Last edited by CuteKirlia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:33 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

CuteKirlia wrote:
I'll ask this; Do I need the bank to transfer 'Mons?

Yep. The Transporter app is an extension of Pokemon Bank, so you would need access to Bank to transfer anything from Gen5. There should be a free trial period when Bank launches, though, so hopefully you can transfer anything you need during the trial period.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

This... is both good and bad. I tend to get the game half a year after it actually comes out, so I probably won't get to utilize that. Great. I doubt my parents will allow me to get the bank, just because it creates unnessesary complicities, and the 5$ per year will get annoying.

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Last edited by CuteKirlia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:28 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Five dollars a year isn't too bad, that's little more than a penny a day. I'm more worried that Game Freak is introducing a recurring payment in the first place, and as small as this is, and what this concept may or may not evolve into, and what happens if you decide to drop the subscription. I mean, ideally, you would be able to withdraw, but not deposit if you dropped, but that's no guarantee. It's also annoying that you have to have a subscription to transfer between generations.

Does the free month begin globally on October twelfth? It seems to me that you would need to register your game for this, like you do for Dream World. If that's the case, maybe the free subscription begins when you register?

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:27 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

The Bank itself doesn't have a launch date in North America, but pretty much every other territory has a launch date of either the 25th or 27th of December. So presumably it will launch just before the end of the year, and the trial period will be until the end of January.

Also, I don't really see a problem with a recurring fee, since the money is supposed to go into server maintenance/infrastructure. I assume people wouldn't want to trust a crappy server with 3000 of their Pokemon. A one-time fee wouldn't work because either 1) you'd need to raise the price well past the $5 they get for a year of access or 2) somehow get just as many people to sign up each year as the year before, otherwise you'd start seeing a massive drop in revenue.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:01 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I admit, the fee makes sense, and I'm fine with it. It's just, it'll annoy my parents to death, that measly 5$ a year will.

Last edited by CuteKirlia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:27 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Flaming_Wuzzle wrote:
The Bank itself doesn't have a launch date in North America, but pretty much every other territory has a launch date of either the 25th or 27th of December. So presumably it will launch just before the end of the year, and the trial period will be until the end of January.

…wait, the bank itself won't launch until the end of the year? Damn! I had wanted to send a pokemon up to be trained in my main game! Now I really am hopeful that ralts will be a part of the Kalos regional pokedex...

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:22 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, this is good for me at least. If I'm getting it, it'll be at Christmas, and I can just wait to play untill the thing launches. Yes!
I'm going to train some Ralts as well. In fact, this is why I'm looking for a Shiny boy Ralts. Great to start with a Mystic Blue Knight.

Last edited by CuteKirlia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:15 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I can see myself making good use of the free trial to transfer my shiny collection to X. However, I don't know that I will have much use for it afterward.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:17 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Unless they do something **** and put only three boxes ingame so you need to pay for those boxes, no, and I sincerely doubt anyone will pay for this.

Let's say you paid and put 'mons on it, and you run out of time... I guess you 'mons are stuck here?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:04 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

GhostPony750 wrote:
Unless they do something **** and put only three boxes ingame so you need to pay for those boxes, no, and I sincerely doubt anyone will pay for this.

Let's say you paid and put 'mons on it, and you run out of time... I guess you 'mons are stuck here?

1) You are not everyone. People will place different amounts of value on having extra storage space independent of their game. While you clearly don't see that as being worth $5 a year, other people will.
2) Most likely, yes. You're paying for access to the storage, after all. Whether they keep your Pokemon indefinitely after your access period remains to be seen.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:24 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I can't see the company forcing people to renew their subscription just to withdraw their pokemon after their account has expired. It would make more sense, logically speaking, to simply block deposits and any additional perks and functions, including transfers from Generation V, but allow the user to withdraw from the account as needed, and once a pokemon is taken out, that space is lost until the account is reactivated.

One of the main points behind Bank in the first place was to provide more box space than the game provided. If you filled too many spaces in the Bank, would they make you choose which pokemon to keep? And then which to release, if you fill all of the in-game boxes?

But, it's as Flaming_Wuzzle said, what will actually happen remains to be seen. This is just what I find to be the most logically sound option.

I wonder if any game will be able to access a given account? I hope that this will have some sort of user protection. I also wonder what, if any, relation this could have with the GTS and the Dream World.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:53 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I probably won't as I'm under the thumb and had to fight to be allowed to pre-order Pokémon Y, let alone pay for an additional service. I'm just interested in the new monsters and characters, so I probably wouldn't need the extra storage anyway.

If we have the same 720 storage that is currently offered in game, I can't honestly see why people would pay it, beyond Wi-Fi battlers that want one of every moveset listed for every Pokémon in the game or for people that insist on owning one of every monster if Kalos introduces more than 71 new Pokémon.

I just find it strange that they're giving people so much storage, but I am hopeful that they have some uses other than storage in mind. It wouldn't shock me if there were free gifts for reaching certain targets like "Store 100 different Pokémon and get a BlazikenKnite" or "Store a complete <insert region name> Dex and get a shiny legendary from <region name>".

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:52 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

See, I do collect - and only play the game for a complete pokedex.

It takes 22 boxes at the moment to store one of each mon (or 15 if you just have one representative from each evolutionary line and keep each region separate). Plus 1 box for my fighting team and collecting team (HM slaves, something with false swipe etc, a slugma & a ditto).
That's running concurrently (so Mew is in place 1 box 6 and Chikorita is place 2 box 6) - another 150 pokemon brings that up to 28 boxes (22 current, 1 for my in-use team and 5 new boxes)

In BW there were 24 boxes

Ideally i'd like to keep each region separate - that works out at 26 so far, 1 for my 'in use' team plus however many new pokemon we're about to get (150 = another 5 boxes so 32 in total)

So I will 100% be buying into this bank - unless they significantly increase the ingame number of boxes. Im just worried what will happen if there is a server crash/software update/I don't pay one year.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:23 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Superpull wrote:
See, I do collect - and only play the game for a complete pokedex.

It takes 22 boxes at the moment to store one of each mon (or 15 if you just have one representative from each evolutionary line and keep each region separate). Plus 1 box for my fighting team and collecting team (HM slaves, something with false swipe etc, a slugma & a ditto).
That's running concurrently (so Mew is in place 1 box 6 and Chikorita is place 2 box 6) - another 150 pokemon brings that up to 28 boxes (22 current, 1 for my in-use team and 5 new boxes)

In BW there were 24 boxes

Ideally i'd like to keep each region separate - that works out at 26 so far, 1 for my 'in use' team plus however many new pokemon we're about to get (150 = another 5 boxes so 32 in total)

So I will 100% be buying into this bank - unless they significantly increase the ingame number of boxes. Im just worried what will happen if there is a server crash/software update/I don't pay one year.

I am very much the same. I think I liked Pokemon so much at first because I am a collector. So when time comes to reset a game for whichever reason, I lose most of that collection. Not only that, but I have to have games dedicated to breeding, because of the lack of space in my main games.

And, depending on the requirements, Bank could be very good for Events, if you're willing to buy an extra game. I plan to 'stock-up', if you will, on Blazikenite, and use the opportunity to look for a good, competitively usable Torchic, if there aren't complications, such as the event turning out to be at Game Stop, or something.

I'd like to use Bank for a…Master Collection, if you will; that's what I use Soul Silver, White, and White 2 for now… I split past teams that no longer have a home game, competitive individuals, and full collections between the three, and I use Black 2 for breeding. And, because I doubt that Bank will only last through Gen VI and then be completely dropped upon the release of Gen VII, I plan to add to it. If I find a 'specimen' that is better than what I have, like, say, a Shiny Numel, or a Sewaddle with very high IVs and a good nature, then it replaces what's there.

I'm a collector. Bank appeals to me, very much so, and I can't wait to get it.

…which may explain my excitement in posting in this thread so often...

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:56 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

yeah - I also quite fancy a box for champions - the teams I've beaten the elite 4 in Emerald, SoulSilver, Pearl and Black (I could move put the Blue/Silver ones but obviously they wouldn't be the actual pokemon so a bit redundant).

In short, I see the pokemon bank as an amazingly handy feature. But I do have some concerns:
- What if I don't pay one year
- can I have a mon in my game and in the bank at the same time
- I worry that the mon that have been sent from Emerald to Pearl to Black to White 2 having different trainer ID's etc may be flagged as unrecognisable or something.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:30 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

There are supposed to be protects on Bank that prevent the deposit of 'cheated' pokemon. Most likely, this will be for those born of Action Replay and Create-a-Pokemon apps, and the like. Whether Glitch Cloning will be included, I have no idea, but I hope not. Other than that, I see no reason why you would be unable to leave your favorite Hoenn or Orre (naturally) born pokemon in the Bank.

As for whether or not you can have a pokemon in Bank and X or Y at the same time…I sincerely doubt it. It would be nice if they provided a way to 'back-up' your pokemon, in-case you ever lost it, but I don't see that happening, unless it was Bank that lost it. That just leaves room to find a new way to clone.

So…Time-Faerie.net has stated that held items may not be deposited in Bank. Annoyingly, this ruins my plan of building a Blazikenite collection, at least without buying another 3DS, and likely shuts out things like the Soul Dew until they see fit to give them back.

Thoughts?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:00 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

There goes my Master-Ball transfer plan.
I can hear the slurping as it sucks and slimes it's way down the drain.
SLOOOO-OOOP.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next