It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Combinations of the Normal Type 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Recently, there's been a change in GameFreak's attitude with the Normal type, I believe.

To compare:

Gen I: Numerous Normal/Flying and pure Normal Pokemon. These have been used as staple typings since and will not be mentioned further.
Gen II: Girafarig is Normal/Psychic, but nothing else.
Gen III: No unusual Normal-types.
Gen IV: We get Bibarel (Normal/Water).
Gen V: Deerling and Sawsbuck appear (Normal/Grass), with Meloetta as an event. (Normal/Psychic or Normal/Fighting.)

Gen IV: Out of the ~20 Pokemon revealed so far, we already have a Normal/Electric and a Normal/Fire, and Jigglypuff is now Normal/Fairy.

Previously, Game Freak was reluctant to have used Normal in type combinations (in Black and White, 11 type combinations involving Normal were unrepresented.) Most of the Pokemon which do get one seem to have Normal arbitrarily added as a type.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I think that this potentially will give us a powerful Normal/Ghost or Normal/Dragon this generation (or Normal paired with another exotic type.)

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:25 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm not really sure it's as big of a departure as you might think. I mean sure, there are more normal/X-type combinations now, however I'd sooner just attribute it to the fact that there are going to be over 700 pokemon. Out of those 700, the combination still seems rather rare.

As for re-typing a bunch of old pokemon, such as Jigglypuff, I don't think that shows a huge difference in their thought-process either. I mean, what other pokes can they really combine with Fairy if not Normal? Not to mention that the fairy egg-group has a LOT of normal types in there... idk it just seems like the only real option in a lot of cases to me.

Just my initial two cents of course :)

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:41 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

My theory on the suddenly-appearing dual Normals: they want to fill up as many type combinations as possible. If you say that the order of the types don't matter, (Flying/Dragon is the same as Dragon/Flying, for example) a quarter of the remaining non-Fairy combinations in Generation V involved Normal.

(There are only a few other types that have rivaled Normal's tendency to not pair, such as Poison, which is still surprisingly missing seven without Fairy.)

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:47 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Maybe it's because pure normal is generally not used by most players... frankly, I'd rather they create more incentive to use Normal than just to slap a flashier type onto them.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:56 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Arekasune wrote:
Maybe it's because pure normal is generally not used by most players... frankly, I'd rather they create more incentive to use Normal than just to slap a flashier type onto them.

Im gonna have to agree with Arekasune, but only 50%. Slapping a second Type attribute onto a Pokemon that isn't used, isnt gonna make a player use said Pokemon. However, in some cases slapping a second typing/changing said typing makes that Pokemon more of an appeal. However, That said, I feel giving more.....DW/special encounter ability's makes more of an impact. (Ex, Politoad and Drizzle).

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:49 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It may seem like a lot of Normal/random type Pokemon right now but we haven't seen all the Pokemon just yet. By the time we know of all the Pokemon, it will likely seem like less of a big deal. I mean now with these Generation's additions we now have a Normal/other combination of each of the 4 starter Pokemon types of Gen I (counting Pikachu from Yellow as a starter) but aside from that there's only 3 other combinations still. I must say it would be interesting if they finally did make a Flying/Fighting or a Water/Fire type, or maybe those two type combos are meant to never be realized...

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

vaporterra wrote:
I must say it would be interesting if they finally did make a Flying/Fighting or a Water/Fire type, or maybe those two type combos are meant to never be realized...

One can dare to dream. I think they will be done EVENTUALLY by Nintendo. Might be this Gen, might be next gen. But with over 700 Pokemon, one of those 2 typings HAVE to show.

(I personally want to see a Steel/ Ghost and a Normal/Ghost type.)

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]