It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Quick question on IV's and EV's 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

So I read the guide and I'm sort of grasping the general idea on these two factors. My question is: How do IV's relate to me? I mean I know they are used to determine a base stat line, however, how is knowing them important? If I find a prospect that is on the "upper end" of a random stat generation how would IV's help me in anyway? The guide did really well at describing them to me but not showing how they applied to me and why determining them was important or not (other then Hidden Power).

Second for EV's. I understand that you max out at 510 overall and 255 at most on any one stat. However is that all there is? Or is it a per level bases? Such as a lvl 5 grinds attack and HP to 255 then becomes lvl 6 to rinse and repeat, or is it a one time deal for the entire lvl span of that one subject as stated before. Additionally, the proteins and zincs etc. I know you may only use 10 per stat. The guide mentions something about using these in pairs of two's, which is a bit confusing seeing as: if you may only use 10 per stat why not just throw in all 10 to begin with? I guess my follow up question would be is there more benefit to using these in a certain sequence at certain times, even if 10 is the limit?

Much appreciation in advance and apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:00 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

On IVs: They make a noticeable difference in the Pokémon's stats, especially at higher levels and if you put a lot of emphasis on the stat. Probably a bigger difference than having a percent boost from a good nature. Just look at stat listings, at what the Pokémon's maximum HP will be with 0 IVs in HP, and what it can be with 31. 30 is still exceptional, but if you want the cream of the crop you want that 31.

Not to say that I don't settle for middling IVs often enough--I usually just hatch a few eggs and pick the one with the best IVs (that also has the nature and ability I need)

On EVs: It's a total for the Pokémons entiiiire liiife. If you got its EVs maxed out before leveling it up to 2 and then leveled it up to 100, it'd be the same as if you got the same EVs starting at level 99 and 100 (both would be silly tasks to set up and execute, but just saying as an example).

I've never heard anything about limiting when you use vitamins. If I'm gonna use 'em, I do it immediately--in the end it's kinda like an equation with no variables. Pokémon + being at level 100 + the IVs that it has + the EVs that it has = the stats that it has, doesn't matter how it got the EVs or when. Assuming, y'know, it doesn't have any new EVs that haven't been added into its real stats. Prior to Gen 5, that only happens at level-ups and when deposited into the PC.

Also, you can't use a vitamin if the receiving Pokémon already has 100 or more EVs in that stat. Even if it hasn't had ten of that vitamin yet.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:45 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Okay great thanks!

Just to make sure I'm following. Determining your IV's is sort of a way of knowing what your working with or what you want to work with, a 31 being the most desirable in your stat you wish to have the best in. While EV's, once reaching 510 do not reset (unless you use the methods the guide describes) and contribute to the subjects entire lvl span. Additionally, vitamins cannot be used if 510 EV's is already maxed out on the subject.

The only follow up question I would have would be is there a limit to IV's obtained. Such as through methods of breeding (or anything else?) would it be possible to achieve 31 IV's on multiple stats or all?

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:20 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Pretty much. Yeahp.

Moonanite wrote:
would it be possible to achieve 31 IV's on multiple stats or all?

Yeah you can. Generally it's a matter of luck but there is some way to help skew IVs in your favor. I'm not entirely familiar with that but apparently inbreeding is the way to get great IVs, so read up on that (but don't try it in real life)

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:06 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Awesome thanks, you've been a huge help on getting me to understand this. Looks like I'm going to be reading up some on inbreeding haha.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]