It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 What do you think the theme of the new games will be? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I agree, Maxie and Archie were [cabbage] pushovers, but Cyrus had some really evil ideas going.

He did try to recreate the universe and everyone in it, effectively killing everyone, and rule over the whole thing. The most Giovanni ever did was try to take over a measly planet.

Sure, Giovanni was a much more "evil" villain, but Cyrus had the more important plan. The former tried to achieve its goals by using pokemon (AKA if they had guns, they would have used those), while the latter used pokemon specifically to achieve its goals (AKA they wouldn't have had it any other way).

It makes sense, though, RBY came out in a time where death on TV was kind of okay, but now everything has to be politically correct. The Saturday morning TV shows are suckage nowadays.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I might get some hate, but I think the whole universe thing is kinda cheesy. When did it become that people worship Pokemon instead of making them kill each other at our amusement? :?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:43 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

when game freak made arceus palkia and dialga :D

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:03 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

GollyGreg wrote:
I might get some hate, but I think the whole universe thing is kinda cheesy. When did it become that people worship Pokemon instead of making them kill each other at our amusement? :?

You neglect the fact that most of the Pokemon games thus far have always had a mythological and worshipping thing to some Pokemon. Such as in the second generation, the Tin Tower was built in honor to Ho-Oh and that the people of Ecrtuteak city may praise/slightly worship it. Even in the anime there were sectys of people that praised certain Pokemon. In the Indigo League there were the people that put their sole attention on Drowzee and Hypno. Even Clefairy's Pokedex entry in Gen I was something like "this Pokemon is praised for its cuteness." Even the first three Regis were praised by people in Gen III.

Also the games have been building bigger things in terms of the Legendaries. Gens II and III built upon Pokemon that controlled the very forces of nature. So pretty much the only logical thing for them to do is to go up a notch of controlling Space, Time, and creation of the Universe.

Lawence Codye wrote:
GollyGreg wrote:
I'm kinda tired of bad guys claiming to be doing things for the 'good of the people.' I enjoyed fighting Team Rocket because they weren't as misguided, but just wanted to be bad. xD

yeah, me too cause it always feels the same in some obvious but annoying way...I want criminals to actually be just that, criminals...like...team rocket was...[/qoute]

All the "criminal" orginzations have been criminals. They were always feared within the game by the people of it. They wanted to do quite evil things Even though they wanted to help the people they were going about it in all the wrong ways, by stealing looting etc. Though yes they were slightly annoying they still were criminals and they had criminal agendas.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:19 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I'm just saying...that in general I don't like the "good criminal" concept being duped in kids shows since the heroes always tends to win in them...& in the game the leaders of the Teams don't actually ever achieve anything...just get outdid by the good guys (you the player) & that's the end of the story...for them anyway...I mean yes Maxie & Archie returned the orbs they used to control their pokemon back to it's proper place themselves, but that's all that happened technically & Cyrus?...I umm well he just ended up with stick, nothing & Giovanni did disband Team Rocket but the thing is that not him or any of the other villian team leaders of the game ever actually came to stop being evil though yet we never see them again so we don't know if that in kids show like fashion if they truly learned anything or not...well, except for Maxie & Archie as they won't be coming back...In short, these kind of criminals don't really fit in a kids series pre say imo...just saying...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:55 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

shinashu taji wrote:

You neglect the fact that most of the Pokemon games thus far have always had a mythological and worshipping thing to some Pokemon. Such as in the second generation, the Tin Tower was built in honor to Ho-Oh and that the people of Ecrtuteak city may praise/slightly worship it. Even in the anime there were sectys of people that praised certain Pokemon. In the Indigo League there were the people that put their sole attention on Drowzee and Hypno. Even Clefairy's Pokedex entry in Gen I was something like "this Pokemon is praised for its cuteness." Even the first three Regis were praised by people in Gen III.

Also the games have been building bigger things in terms of the Legendaries. Gens II and III built upon Pokemon that controlled the very forces of nature. So pretty much the only logical thing for them to do is to go up a notch of controlling Space, Time, and creation of the Universe.[/qoute]
I wouldn't say 'neglect.' I guess I just wish Game Freak didn't make a big deal out of some Pokemon. I really don't like the whole 'religion/creation of the universe' aspect, but I'm not complaining. Some of it does turn out pretty good.

(I've also never played Gen II :P)

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:53 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

hmm. i wonder where they will go next in Gen V. i mean, really? whats more powerful than a god pokemon? lol, perhaps there will finally be a mewthree. :D

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

First off Mewthree is a dream of some retarded third grader, going HURR DURR LETS MAKE A NEW POKEMON THAT LOOKS STUPID HURR DURR.

What we need in terms of a theme is a Life/Death or Circle of Life thing. The two mascot/legendary Pokemon could be ones that bring life and forebodes death. The other one shouldn't be connected to Absol in anyway as it forebodes disaster.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:47 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I agree, Mewthree is a terrible idea. Mew and Mewtwo were created specifically for the movie, and they put them into the games because people liked the design.

The villain arc is, pardon me for saying this, a SIDESTORY, and as such, don't need that great a resolution. Whoever wants one can make up their own. The main storyline is you, running around the world, collecting badges and pokemon, etc. Kids aren't playing the game for life lessons, they can get that watching Caillou or something.

Lawence Codye wrote:
I'm just saying...that in general I don't like the "good criminal" concept being duped in kids shows since the heroes always tends to win in them...& in the game the leaders of the Teams don't actually ever achieve anything...just get outdid by the good guys (you the player) & that's the end of the story...for them anyway...I mean yes Maxie & Archie returned the orbs they used to control their pokemon back to it's proper place themselves, but that's all that happened technically & Cyrus?...I umm well he just ended up with stick, nothing & Giovanni did disband Team Rocket but the thing is that not him or any of the other villian team leaders of the game ever actually came to stop being evil though yet we never see them again so we don't know if that in kids show like fashion if they truly learned anything or not...well, except for Maxie & Archie as they won't be coming back...In short, these kind of criminals don't really fit in a kids series pre say imo...just saying...

You're right, it is a children's series. If you were a child, would you play a game where you could let a world go to hell? Not to mention it would be pretty antithesis to the idea of Pokemon games to let the enemy win; AKA it would ruin the concept entirely.
None of the villains learned anything. Archie and Maxie, again, were pushovers and when they lost they left forever, presumably to travel the world. Cyrus got stuck in the Alternate World and died. Giovanni also left to travel the world. The point is that they lost to children, and believed they lost all their respect.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Lightshayde wrote:
You're right, it is a children's series. If you were a child, would you play a game where you could let a world go to hell? Not to mention it would be pretty antithesis to the idea of Pokemon games to let the enemy win; AKA it would ruin the concept entirely.
None of the villains learned anything. Archie and Maxie, again, were pushovers and when they lost they left forever, presumably to travel the world. Cyrus got stuck in the Alternate World and died. Giovanni also left to travel the world. The point is that they lost to children, and believed they lost all their respect.

Hey, my point in all that wasn't the fact that they were beaten by the hero/heroine which I am more then fine with...the point was that all the villians are starting to turn out like that & it is getting really, really noticably annoying...& Cyrus left the Distortion World after you beat him in battle following the blah blah conversation the proceeded the battle, before you encountered Origin Giratina...anyway getting back to the point, that was all I was trying to make clear...nothing more, nothing less...just saying...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:59 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I think it would be SO cool if there was a theme focused around the regular map changing based on certain criteria.
Sun/Moon, Dark/Light, whatever.
The day and night exploitation is a great idea, where certain areas change or paths disappear based on the time of day.

Think about Zoroark, though. If there's a Dark-type that controls illusions...what could come from that?

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:39 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Of course, though, it wouldn't have to be a day/light just because of the Pokemon they released so far.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

GollyGreg wrote:
Of course, though, it wouldn't have to be a day/light just because of the Pokemon they released so far.

... What do you mean? Like, because they've released Zoroark, or do you mean due to the other 493 already released?

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:22 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I think that we shouldn't read too much into Zorua/Zoroark being (I'm assuming) Dark-types. They're Dark because Game Freak decided they wanted more dark pokemon.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Yeah what Lightshayde said...just cause Zoroark is a Dark type isn't actually even part of the reason I suggested the idea that is location changing based on time of day but because it would expand the region dramatically & prevent lack of wanted replayability which so far only the competitive battling has done...& I think it's role in the next pokemon movie will be even bigger then I first though but then again this info that got me to thinking of this was from lolstop which duh is censored here...calling the movie "Phantom Champion Zoroark"...too weird...

Anyway moving further I don't think the titles should represent the fact that it's day/night (time of day) themed...just as long as there isn't any stupid titles for a pokemon game like...Light Trackers/Dark Trackers & Twilight, lol...omg those are terrible names really...Oh & I'm glad even more people see my day/night "idea" as a good one at least...I though about it in under 3 minutes...

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:22 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

shinashu taji wrote:
First off Mewthree is a dream of some retarded third grader, going HURR DURR LETS MAKE A NEW POKEMON THAT LOOKS STUPID HURR DURR.

What we need in terms of a theme is a Life/Death or Circle of Life thing. The two mascot/legendary Pokemon could be ones that bring life and forebodes death. The other one shouldn't be connected to Absol in anyway as it forebodes disaster.

I completely agree with this while simultaneoously disagreeing with it (shut up, I know what I said). I think that would be a really cool theme. They already gave us the God of all Pokemans, and I said somewhere on this site before albeit sadonically that the next logical step is Life and Death Pokemon. I just think that'd be a really cool element, and it could even add a whole new element to gameplay. Let's say at some point in the story Pokemon gain the ability to die in battle. What do you do? Either pull an Inferno and go rescue your fallen comrades from the Death Pokemon (most likely Legendary of some sort) or you go see the Life Pokemon to bring him/her back for you.

However, the idea of Pokemon being able to die would scar children. When a Pokemon is beaten in battle, the player rests assured knowing full well Nurse Joy will make everything better. The only thing you lose may be a few happiness points. But actually having your Pokemon killed in battle? Some kids and even us older players become attached to our Pocket Monsters. Don't you feel bad when someone beats your starter who's been with you since you got the game? I know I do. Now imagine them not just fainting, but freaking dying. I'd be ticked. Especially if you die from like F.E.A.R. strategy. That'd be...embarassing. "A Lv. 1 Rattata just killed my Arceus. Hm..." Well, that's why I think they really cannot include life and death themes as the pertain to the Pokemon. Now if NPCs start to die, that's a whole different story...

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:33 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

They called it "fainting" because the creator didn't like death in a child's game, and I agree with him.

Game Freak needs to retcon Arceus to being of a lower status, and then we can have more legendaries.

Retconning, the writer's best friend.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Spoinkable wrote:
GollyGreg wrote:

... What do you mean? Like, because they've released Zoroark, or do you mean due to the other 493 already released?

I meant pretty much what Lightshayde said after me. :P

@Spoinkable
They could've called it 'pwned' or 'obliterated.' I mean, wouldn't it be cool if you read:

"BIDOOF was pwned!"
or
"MAGIKARP was obliterated!"

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:46 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

So I'm not gonna lie, the main reason I want more of a day/night spin on the new generation is because I'm madly in love with Lunatone and Solrock.
(Moreso Lunatone, because its sprite in Gen III literally gave me nightmares)
And a sun/moon theme would undoubtedly mean A. a comeback for the two and B. evolutions for them.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:03 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Solrock's crusty-looking eyes scare me more...

I thought it would be interesting to see how they would incorporate more day/night events in the game.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I know, right?
Other than certain Pokes only being available at certain times, and the music getting cool at nighttime, they've completely ignored it.
Regardless of theme, I hope this is something they play with more ...

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:12 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Exactly why I was thinking they need something like day/night, cause they don't really play around with what they come up with theme wise & it really is seen as neglection as far as I'm concerned I mean it's a great franchise & more theme play would generate more sells I'm sure & give them more to preview even...meh...

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:49 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

shinashu taji wrote:
ouch, shinashu. that hurt. i was just havin a bit of fun.

anyways, people seem to be gravitating towards a sort of light/shadow kinda theme. which makes me curious as to exactly what kind of legendaries they would have. god forbid they ever decide to stop making new pokemon and use only the pokemon they have already made. (yes, i realize some people feel that the new pokemon were just sort of place-holders, or copycats, like the wurmple evolution chain and the caterpie evolution chain. forgive me if i dont share your opinion. :D )

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

To me, it seems like we get a whole batch of legendaries each generation. I would actually like to see less legendaries this time, mostly because I can't keep track of Gen IV's legendaries. xD

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:11 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

GollyGreg wrote:
To me, it seems like we get a whole batch of legendaries each generation. I would actually like to see less legendaries this time, mostly because I can't keep track of Gen IV's legendaries. xD

yeah me too...Kanto & Johto worked out just fine without loads of Legendaries...

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next