It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:26 am



Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 What is the point? 
Author Message
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
Reasons to make and for me to buy the game:

1) Money. Of course. The nostalgic players who loves Johto as much as I did are going to swarm GameStop to grab a hold of these game. Nintendo knows that.
2) Improved Features/Guinea Pig. Like FRLG, HGSS is going to give GameFreak a chance to test out new features, like the supposed bottom-screen menu.
3) New movesets. When people get access to more Pokemon more often, it's going to provide new movesets and uses for Pokemon that were rarely used before.
4) I can't be annoyed to complete my freaking Sinnoh Dex on Emerald. I just can't.
5) I want a new place to play. You can't deny that GHSS will have a new area like the Sevii Islands in FRLG.

And to note, Ranger and Mystery Dungeon are okay games. =P

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Sat May 16, 2009 6:53 am
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:53 am
Posts: 40
Location: Sudbury Suffolk, England
LeoTheLion wrote:

4) I can't be annoyed to complete my freaking Sinnoh Dex on Emerald. I just can't.

I think you mean Hoenn Dex...

But the other things you say are completely relevant. It is useful to test and perfect the use of the hardware before making a brand new game. We may complain occasionally but without it firstly we would only be able to play the old Johto which is a bit dated and Gen V would seem to take so much longer to come out and it may not be or seem to be as good as it hopefully will be.


Sat May 16, 2009 7:49 am
Profile
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 am
Posts: 24
Location: Europe, Lithuania
Pokexa wrote:
LeoTheLion wrote:

4) I can't be annoyed to complete my freaking Sinnoh Dex on Emerald. I just can't.

I think you mean Hoenn Dex...

But the other things you say are completely relevant. It is useful to test and perfect the use of the hardware before making a brand new game. We may complain occasionally but without it firstly we would only be able to play the old Johto which is a bit dated and Gen V would seem to take so much longer to come out and it may not be or seem to be as good as it hopefully will be.


yea i agree
they need more time while there is still anime in sinoh and i think they are waiting V gen in anime
only after that they will make a V gen game
like i said before they are stretching time by making these games

_________________
Image
Image
Image
Image


Sat May 16, 2009 10:59 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
Yeah, I can see it as some sort of time-stretcher of sorts. And yes, I meant Hoenn Dex. :P I actually realized that it's impossible without an actual GBA. D: Oh well. I'll wait for the remake.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Sat May 16, 2009 6:30 pm
Profile
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 am
Posts: 24
Location: Europe, Lithuania
or maybe they can't create anything new so they are remaking older games
:?:
:?

_________________
Image
Image
Image
Image


Sun May 17, 2009 9:11 am
Profile
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:38 am
Posts: 149
Location: failworld
The only point to these remakes is the same point that created yellow, crystal, fire red, leaf green, emerald, and platinum.

Because people wanted them. And Nintendo is giving the people what they asked for.

No, this game isn't needed. Yes, it is possible to get every single pokemon by events, owning every game, and online trading. That hasn't stopped people from buying the remakes before, why should it matter now? Hell, you could also just buy a cheat device and save yourself the money, while having a fun little tool for every other game you own, instead of just owning the same game with a different title, if that's your logic.

I swear, it is only the pokemon franchise that has to deal with "OMG BAAAAAAAAW DAY R MUNY HUNGRAY N REMAK GYAMS I R QUIT NIN10DOH". Yes, Nintendo wants to make money. Can you blame them? Can you honestly say Microsoft and Sony aren't out to make money too? Nintendo just happens to know what they're doing. When their fan base says "We want this game" Nintendo makes it. People asked for the GS remakes, and Nintendo gave them what they wanted. I'd love to see them redo the games completely and add an interesting and challenging story while leaving the battle system intact, but I could really care less, because I don't play the games for the story part of it. Honestly, how many people play it just for that?

As far as people saying they'd rather news of a 5th gen, they seem to forget the BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWing that came with gen 4. If people weren't crying about new evos, they were crying about new prevos, or saying how they hated the new pokemon, and that they should have just left it alone. And now that they are leaving it alone, you people (some of you the same ones who hated the concept of a 4th gen) want the 5th gen? There is no pleasing some of you, I swear.

Hell, it's not even the franchise as a whole that has to deal with this, it's just the main series of games, as Krisp pointed out earlier. All the "NEW AND EXCITING" games have either been short, easy, boring, uninspired, and in the case of ones like Mystery dungeon, remade over 9000 times with little to no reason to even look at the next one. Some have even been so terrible they were an overpriced expansion to the main games and were basically useless and unplayable if you didn't own the main version. (Pokemon Revolution, anyone?). Game Freak's one stroke of genius has been the Pokemon battle system, and the fact that all these spin offs are lousy show that.

Even game series that have gone from great to fail and have even helped ruin the games producer thanks to extreme overkill and remakes that get worse and worse get less trouble then pokemon. I'm looking at you Sonic the Hedgehog.

_________________
Goodbye Psypoke. Consider this my going away present. <3

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"


Thu May 21, 2009 11:23 pm
Profile
THE POWER IS ON!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 am
Posts: 1555
Location: Purple Ranger
You obviously don't get around the Internet if you think Pokemon is the only Nintendo franchise that gets slammed for endless remakes and spinoffs (let's ask the Mario series and how there's a Golf, Tennis, Kart, Party, etc. for every recent Nintendo console at this point) or if you think people complain about the direction of the Pokemon franchise more than recent Sonic games. There's also a major difference between releasing a new set of Pokemon games and going "Oh, GS is about ten years old, let's take Johto and slap DPP's presentation on top of it." GHSS is a very straightforward cash grab, whereas designing new Pokemon, characters, storylines, moves, gameplay mechanics, etc., actually requires more effort.

Also, thanks for putting words in my mouth. I wanted Generation V. I'm just about the only person on the forum who was hoping for a Generation V announcement even though the new games were obviously going to be GS remakes. And I never once complained about Generation IV once it was actually released. I wasn't all that excited for the games until they had actually been released, but I bought Diamond and it made me love Pokemon again. I liked MOST of the new evolutions and I liked MOST of the new Pokemon. Yes, I hated SOME, and I've never liked pre-evolutions, but you're not going to like every single new creature when you get over 100 new ones at a time.

I also don't recall people begging for Yellow to be made back when it was released. Or Crystal. Or FireRed and LeafGreen, unless "We want a way to get all of the old Pokemon that were thrown out of R/S" counts. People wanted Emerald and Platinum because they had the precedent of Yellow, followed by Crystal, to know and to expect that they were going to come. Why they wanted to pay full price and eventually DID pay full price for what was essentially the same game as the last two, with a few extra bells and whistles, is something I'll never be able to explain with this fandom. Now we have FireRed/LeafGreen, followed by HeartGold/SoulSilver, and people are already expecting Ruby and Sapphire remakes in a few years because now there's a recurring precedence.

And before somebody points the accusatory "I bet you bought remakes in the past!" finger, I'd like to say: I didn't buy Platinum. I didn't buy Emerald. I didn't buy FireRed. I got LeafGreen, but only as a Christmas present. I got Yellow, but I never owned Red or Blue because I only got my first Game Boy with Pokemon Yellow. So the ONLY remake/third version that I willingly bought with my own money is Crystal because it fixed issues that I had with GS.


Thu May 21, 2009 11:50 pm
Profile
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:38 am
Posts: 149
Location: failworld
Frost wrote:
[color=orchid]You obviously don't get around the Internet if you think Pokemon is the only Nintendo franchise that gets slammed for endless remakes and spinoffs


I didn't mean to say it was the ONLY franchise that got slammed, I meant to say it gets slammed way more then any other franchise out there. Mario is praised and defended with nerd rage beyond anything else out there, regardless of if the spinoff is good or bad. The same goes for Sonic. The only people who slam those franchises are people who don't like it to begin with, or who aren't a part of the fandom. Pokemon, however, seems to get this treatment from its own fanbase more then it does from people who hate it.

Of course every fan base gets irritated at what it likes from time to time, but Pokemon seems to get it harder then the other franchises.

I am a bit wrong though. Franchises like Mega Man get it pretty rough as well.

Quote:
There's also a major difference between releasing a new set of Pokemon games and going "Oh, GS is about ten years old, let's take Johto and slap DPP's presentation on top of it." GHSS is a very straightforward cash grab, whereas designing new Pokemon, characters, storylines, moves, gameplay mechanics, etc., actually requires more effort.


I do agree with you on that, this game is a cash grab, as are a lot of the Pokemon releases. Anyone who has played or even just seen Pokemon Revolution understands that well. However, what do you expect when everyone is begging for GS to be remade? Of course Nintendo is gonna jump on the money train and release it.

Quote:
Also, thanks for putting words in my mouth. I wanted Generation V.


As far as you are concerned, that wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the majority of people who complained when gen IV was released but are now irritated at the fact that they still haven't made gen V. Those are the people who I said are never satisfied. I apoligize if I made it seem that way, but I didn't mean to.

Quote:
I also don't recall people begging for Yellow to be made back when it was released. Or Crystal. Or FireRed and LeafGreen


Yellow was released because people were in love with the anime, and nintendo knew people would eat it up. Crystal followed suit and fixed many of the things people didn't like about GS. Admittedly, Emerald and Platinum only were released because of Nintendo doing what it does best and repeating everything they do. When FR/LG was announced, Pokemon fans creamed themselves all over the world. I didn't say Nintendo released the GS games just because of the begging. They know people will want them, and they know people will buy them.

Just because no one begged for these games doesn't mean they weren't wanted. The Pokemon fan base will always want new pokemon games, and Nintendo will release them.

Quote:
and people are already expecting Ruby and Sapphire remakes in a few years because now there's a recurring precedence


Though I can't speak for anyone else, I would completely avoid those games if they were made. Both RBY and GSC were fun experiences from when I was young. Though I was disappointed by FR/LG, I still enjoyed the nostalgia. I also enjoyed playing GSC, and that is why I will be picking up one of the two when they get released.

However, Ruby and Sapphire were fail in my eyes, and I refuse to pay to play those two again.

Quote:
And before somebody points the accusatory "I bet you bought remakes in the past!" finger, I'd like to say: I didn't buy Platinum.


In all fairness, I really don't care if you bought past ones. That has nothing to do with you not liking the idea of the GS releases, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. That is just as bad as people calling others "OMG HAXUR CHATERS" because they bought an AR instead of going some 9000 miles to every damned nintendo event.

I understand it looks like everything I said in my previous post is aimed at Frost and only him, but in all fairness, that is probably because most of the other stuff people are saying is either a one-liner that's been said 9000 times already, or just some gibberish like "GS ROX/SUX", so I really only had what Frost said to base my thoughts off.

I want to make this clear. This is not a personal attack on anyone. I'm just sharing my views on this subject, and stating what things I agree and disagree about.

_________________
Goodbye Psypoke. Consider this my going away present. <3

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"


Fri May 22, 2009 2:48 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:49 pm
Posts: 1196
Location: William McKinley High School. Lima, Ohio.
Just a few things about the remakes.

1)They are not needed. They are just cash grabs for Nintendo because a huge chunk of the Pokemon fanbase demanded them to be made. I always kinda secretly hoped they would remake them one day, and I got that wish. I know they are useless and a waste of money, but I don't plan to buy them right away, heck I waited about a month after the release of Platinum before I even bought it.

2)They are games just like any other. If you don't want them don't buy them plain and simple

3)There are much worthier things that could be made besides G/S remakes. Personally like some other people as much as I wanted these remakes I want to see a Generation V announcement more, I would really love to see a Pokemon Snap 2 that game was fun as hell, but as we all know that ain't going to happen.

4)Nintendo is just pleasing its fans. People asked for them, and apparently a good bit of them too seeing how they are making them.

_________________
Image
I suck at WiFi battling.


Fri May 22, 2009 10:50 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:01 pm
Posts: 66
You may not happy about the remakes, but definitely there are people who are excited about it.
Bitching that "I hate G/S/C BLAH BLAH BLAH" can't change the fact that HG/SS are going to be released.
If you don't like it, just don't buy and play them. Why so difficult?


Fri May 22, 2009 11:44 pm
Profile
THE POWER IS ON!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 am
Posts: 1555
Location: Purple Ranger
Okay, the whole "Don't like it, don't buy it" argument is getting on my last nerve. Yes, just because almost everybody wants and needs these games to function obviously means that people who have a dissenting opinion should effectively shut up and not express said opinion because they don't think GS remakes are needed. It's possible to be a fan of Pokemon and not blindly worship every game that Gamefreak makes (and by that I'm including the actual main series and not only the spinoffs), including not being particularly fond of the idea of GHSS, so people can bitch as much as they want, thanks.


Sat May 23, 2009 12:39 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 101
Krisp wrote:
I'd like to see some legitimate reasons to bitch about the G/S remakes, other than "BAAAAAAW NINTENDO IS MONEY HUNGRY." People are welcome to disagree with the remakes, but can we get some reasons other than that? I'm pretty tired of these damn kids posting "money grab" and "cash cow" and everytime I read those words I just cringe.

Speaking of that, Face is totally wrong about Pokemon getting "slammed" with stupid crap. Do you realize how much the Sonic fanbase hates anything past Sonic Adventure 2? As someone who has been an active member in the Sonic scene for almost 4 years, I can tell you that you're wrong about Sonic fans praising the crappy games that Sega keeps shoveling out. Dead. Wrong. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog are on many Sonic fan's "worst games ever made" list, and I've yet to see any game in the main Pokemon series be on a hate list (coming from a Pokemon fan.) Even the most hardcore Sonic fans hate Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 with a passion.

So yeah, want to bitch about G/S remakes? Let's hear another reason besides "the games aren't necessary" (because that excuse is getting really old too) and "LOL CASH COW!!!!!!2!!1!!11"



I have to agree with krisp. Being an avid pokemon fan (I got every single game apart from pokemon revlolution as i didnt have a wii) i am looking foward for the game. and secondly, if it is just a cash cow so what? if it pleases people that its coming out (including me) there's actually nothing wrong with it! Also, if it didnt have enough back up from the public i don't think they were going to make it(don't quote me). finally,i'd like to make the pont that there are posts talking about on a remake of this game ages ago and loads people were supportive of the idea and now people are tearing the ideas to peices. this is just my opinion don't judge me people! =)

_________________
Image
yes i'm obsessive over water pokemon


Sat May 23, 2009 2:49 am
Profile
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:38 am
Posts: 149
Location: failworld
Krisp wrote:
I'd like to see some legitimate reasons to bitch about the G/S remakes, other than "BAAAAAAW NINTENDO IS MONEY HUNGRY." People are welcome to disagree with the remakes, but can we get some reasons other than that? I'm pretty tired of these damn kids posting "money grab" and "cash cow" and everytime I read those words I just cringe.

Speaking of that, Face is totally wrong about Pokemon getting "slammed" with stupid crap. Do you realize how much the Sonic fanbase hates anything past Sonic Adventure 2? As someone who has been an active member in the Sonic scene for almost 4 years, I can tell you that you're wrong about Sonic fans praising the crappy games that Sega keeps shoveling out. Dead. Wrong. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog are on many Sonic fan's "worst games ever made" list, and I've yet to see any game in the main Pokemon series be on a hate list (coming from a Pokemon fan.) Even the most hardcore Sonic fans hate Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 with a passion.

So yeah, want to bitch about G/S remakes? Let's hear another reason besides "the games aren't necessary" (because that excuse is getting really old too) and "LOL CASH COW!!!!!!2!!1!!11"


I'm not a big fan of Sonic myself, but the few sonic fans I've known have praised the garbage that Sega makes, no matter how bad. I believe I've jumped to conclusions because of that though, and I apoligize.

And though I agree with you about people complaining about GS remakes, pokemon is a cash cow. Nintendo makes a ton of money off of it, and will continue to for a long time. Just because it doesn't suck like a lot of other cash cows doesn't mean it isn't one itself.

_________________
Goodbye Psypoke. Consider this my going away present. <3

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"


Sat May 23, 2009 3:38 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 101
nintendo actually has made more money on other games like animal crossing and mario games than pokemon. that's cos not every1 is into pokemon. if there was no pokemon, nintendo would still be making huge profits from its many other games. i think though pokemon is massive, it is small COMPARED to mario. so techincally, nintendo though pokemon makes huge profits from it, is there cos people like it. thats my opinion anywayz =)

_________________
Image
yes i'm obsessive over water pokemon


Sat May 23, 2009 4:10 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 101
Krisp wrote:
Um...what the hell are you talking about? Pokemon is way more profitable than Animal Crossing. Because you know, it HAS been around much longer and has a much bigger fanbase in general.

Mario isn't always going to be bigger than Pokemon, either. Frost and I had this conversation a long time ago about how Pokemon will most likely gain a lead on Mario in the near future.

And wow, and I was just thinking Face was talking out of his ass - why don't you do some research before saying something like that? You can't state something as a fact and then say "well that's my opinion".

I suggest you take a look here just to see how dead wrong you are. Animal Crossing at #115 as opposed to Pokemon's #2 spot.


okay no need to be harsh... anywayz isn't this supposed to be about whether they should have made a remake or not. i thought psypokes was kl... apparently not...

_________________
Image
yes i'm obsessive over water pokemon


Sat May 23, 2009 4:48 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 101
Krisp wrote:
Sorry, I forgot everything has to be sugar coated and free from any criticism.


i don't mind criticism! its just you could've just told me i was wrong and that i should look it up not "and I was just thinking Face was talking out of his ass." thats all :!: now i'm off to have my lunch =)

_________________
Image
yes i'm obsessive over water pokemon


Sat May 23, 2009 5:33 am
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:35 pm
Posts: 1348
Location: C-Town
If we can assume that the information provided on Wikipedia is true, Pokémon is even more profitable than Mario for Nintendo. The Mario franchise has sold a record 201 million copies, but has made over 200 titles for the franchise. However, Pokémon has sold 186 million through 39 franchise titles. If each unit were sold at $10, for the sake of this argument, Nintendo has averaged an earning of $47.7 million for each Pokémon title, where as Mario only averages $10.05 million (@ 200 titles, though there are more). It is also important to note that units sold also includes games bundled with a system, and the majority of units sold on the series' best selling games are due to system bundles, which nets less profit. Following this model, even The Legend of Zelda series has earned $8 million more per game than Mario has.

With a popular card game, sponsored events, it's plethora of toys, and an animé which has outlasted any Mario program that came and went before most you were even born, it stands to reason that when looking at total profit over earnings, even Mario is eclipsed by the franchise juggernaut that is Pokémon.


Sat May 23, 2009 6:30 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 pm
Posts: 101
thanks for explaining to us datvu =)

_________________
Image
yes i'm obsessive over water pokemon


Sat May 23, 2009 6:36 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:49 pm
Posts: 1196
Location: William McKinley High School. Lima, Ohio.
waterpokemonmaniac wrote:
Krisp wrote:
Sorry, I forgot everything has to be sugar coated and free from any criticism.


i don't mind criticism! its just you could've just told me i was wrong and that i should look it up not "and I was just thinking Face was talking out of his ass." thats all :!: now i'm off to have my lunch =)


Well that is basically sugar coated if you can't stand the argument's being thrown out at you then get away from the round table.

Alas I have a reason why they shouldn't be made other than the "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw they aren't needed/ cash grabs for Nintendo!" The series is starting to fell kinda like everyone's annoying little cousin that keeps coming back and back much too soon after he/she pisses everyone off. What I mean by that it gets old whenever its too soon to get over the old game.

So give me your worst on this reason.

_________________
Image
I suck at WiFi battling.


Sat May 23, 2009 8:31 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:23 pm
Posts: 1959
Location: Va
Krisp wrote:
Sorry, I forgot everything has to be sugar coated and free from any criticism.


No, we'd just want to keep arguments at a certain level. So...

Krisp wrote:
If you're going to disagree with someone, please do it in an intelligent manner. This means stating reasons to back up your opinion and not personally attacking other people.


Specifically, saying "you were talking out of your ass" can be replaced by "you don't know what you are talking about. Here's why..."

Krisp wrote:
I'd like to see some legitimate reasons to bitch about the G/S remakes, other than "BAAAAAAW NINTENDO IS MONEY HUNGRY." People are welcome to disagree with the remakes, but can we get some reasons other than that? I'm pretty tired of these damn kids posting "money grab" and "cash cow" and everytime I read those words I just cringe.

Speaking of that, Face is totally wrong about Pokemon getting "slammed" with stupid crap. Do you realize how much the Sonic fanbase hates anything past Sonic Adventure 2? As someone who has been an active member in the Sonic scene for almost 4 years, I can tell you that you're wrong about Sonic fans praising the crappy games that Sega keeps shoveling out. Dead. Wrong. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog are on many Sonic fan's "worst games ever made" list, and I've yet to see any game in the main Pokemon series be on a hate list (coming from a Pokemon fan.) Even the most hardcore Sonic fans hate Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 with a passion.

So yeah, want to bitch about G/S remakes? Let's hear another reason besides "the games aren't necessary" (because that excuse is getting really old too) and "LOL CASH COW!!!!!!2!!1!!11"


Here's one: these games could have been rightfully saved for the next generation of portable systems. Even if DS games could play on said new system, it would be very unreasonable to think that a person should play Gen 3, transfer to Gen 4, then transfer to Gen 5. Playing over two gens is reasonable, since that's what they've asked for since Gen 2. Now they'll have to remake another game and thus continue a never-ending cycle of continuously remaking the game of two generations ago. It'll get to the point where it's not even worth it to buy a game because it'll just get remade.

Here's another: instead of wasting time and money developing a needless game, they should be focused on plans for Gen 5. We need to face facts, with pokemon the story behind the ubers in this gen, they're going to need a reason for those in the next to exist. They're also running out of ideas for what pokemon should look like. Rotom turning into a washing machine and a lawn mower are proof of that. Point is, the sooner they have everything squared away for gen 5, the sooner it can be released when the next gen of portables comes out.

Here's a third: my prediction is that this is going to make them lose a LOT of money. I honestly believe that GSC's popularity was due to the fact that it was the only pokemon sequel. The continent is pretty bland and there are a lot of straightaways where you do nothing but battle nameless, easily defeated trainers. At least Kanto's had twists and turns and a little fence maze to it. Whirlpool was annoying to have to have and catching Lugia required going into an ice cave, in the middle of the water route, where you had to drop rocks to control the current. Did anyone else notice that we'd seen that somewhere before? Point is, now that there are other, better sequels, people are going to buy it, realize it's not that good, and return it / recommend others not to buy it.

_________________
Image Image
^Image by dragoni_slayer2014^


Sat May 23, 2009 9:30 pm
Profile
THE POWER IS ON!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 am
Posts: 1555
Location: Purple Ranger
daveshan wrote:
Here's a third: my prediction is that this is going to make them lose a LOT of money.

Look, I'm just about the most outspoken person on the forums for why we don't need GHSS, but... are you serious? Between nostalgic fans, fans who want to play GSC and either have dead batteries or can't find the games anymore, and fans who weren't even alive when GSC were released, Nintendo and Gamefreak are going to be laughing all the way to the bank with GHSS just like they did after FRLG sold a cool few million copies. Especially in Japan, where Platinum, a third version that is only a slightly different kind of "remake" than GHSS, can sell a million or two copies in two DAYS.

Also, Krisp, I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon outranked Mario in sales by 2011, if not sooner, as the 186 million number probably doesn't cover the full extent of Platinum's sales (which have been ridiculous in both Japan and the US) and, hell, Platinum hasn't even been released in Europe yet. Also, Mystery Dungeon 3 came out in Japan only last month and hasn't been released in the US, but the previous two sets of Dungeon games have sold millions of copies on their own. And of course we have GHSS coming and I fully expect the game to get insane sales all over the world.


Sat May 23, 2009 10:37 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
Okay. There are actually a couple reasons why Nintendo will make the remakes:

-Money. Well no dur, Nintendo's a company. Suddenly it makes them Satan if they want to make money. And how is GHSS actually hurting anything anyway? Since maps have already been made and so have the graphics (I'm sure minor changes will be made) then it won't take any time away from developing the potential Gen V.

-Testing. Like in FRLG, the Pokemanz company might make this to perfect their existing mechanics or to test new mechanics for games to come. Part of FRLG was testing approval on the Journal, Wireless connection, different colored font (makes it hard to read), a newly organized Pokedex (That was annoying), item animations (those too) and much more. I expect HGSS to have a couple of new bells and whistles.

-Fun. Well, it has to be exciting to make a new game! I mean come on, are these people robots?

-Pokemanz availability. As I stated before, I'm not going to complete my freaking Hoenn Dex to get the starters THREE TIMES. And no Colosseum either.

So don't give them hell just because they're making it a new game. You're taking this way too seriously.

PS. Krisp, you need to chill. You don't need to be all "Well I submit to your demands, honeybun." but you also don't need to start spitting fire and spinning your head around every time someone is ignorant. Just be fair.

PPS. Everything past SA2 is a lie, but Sonic 06 brought interesting plot line. SRA wasn't terrible either.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Sun May 24, 2009 10:50 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:23 pm
Posts: 1959
Location: Va
Frost wrote:
daveshan wrote:
Here's a third: my prediction is that this is going to make them lose a LOT of money.

Look, I'm just about the most outspoken person on the forums for why we don't need GHSS, but... are you serious? Between nostalgic fans, fans who want to play GSC and either have dead batteries or can't find the games anymore, and fans who weren't even alive when GSC were released, Nintendo and Gamefreak are going to be laughing all the way to the bank with GHSS just like they did after FRLG sold a cool few million copies. Especially in Japan, where Platinum, a third version that is only a slightly different kind of "remake" than GHSS, can sell a million or two copies in two DAYS.


A. I'm just calling it how I think it.

B. They're doing it to make money, don't get me wrong. But they're going to lose a lot when people return them. Sure they'll keep the nostalgic fans, but once people see that GSC really were bad games, there goes all the other fans (unless they make dramatic changes to pokemon movepools so you have to keep the games to get them).

LeoTheLion wrote:

-Money. Well no dur, Nintendo's a company. Suddenly it makes them Satan if they want to make money. And how is GHSS actually hurting anything anyway? Since maps have already been made and so have the graphics (I'm sure minor changes will be made) then it won't take any time away from developing the potential Gen V.
Actually, that's not true. There're so many coding differences between GBC and DS that they do have to remake the map code from scratch or near-scratch.


LeoTheLion wrote:
-Testing. Like in FRLG, the Pokemanz company might make this to perfect their existing mechanics or to test new mechanics for games to come. Part of FRLG was testing approval on the Journal, Wireless connection, different colored font (makes it hard to read), a newly organized Pokedex (That was annoying), item animations (those too) and much more. I expect HGSS to have a couple of new bells and whistles.


I doubt that. Most things, other than animations, in FRLG were hackable-to-obtain in RSE. Since the only "mystery" item to exist is the ??? Arceus plate, I doubt we'd ever get more.

LeoTheLion wrote:
-Pokemanz availability. As I stated before, I'm not going to complete my freaking Hoenn Dex to get the starters THREE TIMES. And no Colosseum either.


So do what every fifth NPC in the game tells/hints/suggests/throws in your face: TRADE. From day one, you were never expected to complete it by yourself. You made friends in your area and traded. Now, with online, there's even less of an excuse because you can make friends on forums. Trade shinies for ubers. Trade EV-trained for starters or pokemon that you have to pick one or the other. Heck, I'm still waiting on Krisp. Earlier in this thread I offered my suicune for a legit raikou or entei.

_________________
Image Image
^Image by dragoni_slayer2014^


Sun May 24, 2009 3:38 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:17 am
Posts: 100
Location: Boise, Idaho
Daveshan, GSC are considered by the majority of the pokepopulation to be great, if not the best, pokemon games ever made. FRLG sold extremely well, and RBY was waaaay inferior to GSC in my opinion (and most other people's opinion as well), so I really doubt HG/SS will fail in regard to profit.

_________________
''I believe that humanity's goal should not be complete victory, but rather a certain demeanor, an attitude, towards fighting.''~~Treize Khush-Renada


Sun May 24, 2009 4:13 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Lying in a pool of Mt. Dew Throwback
daveshan wrote:
LeoTheLion wrote:

-Money. Well no dur, Nintendo's a company. Suddenly it makes them Satan if they want to make money. And how is GHSS actually hurting anything anyway? Since maps have already been made and so have the graphics (I'm sure minor changes will be made) then it won't take any time away from developing the potential Gen V.
Actually, that's not true. There're so many coding differences between GBC and DS that they do have to remake the map code from scratch or near-scratch.


What I meant is that they don't have to come up with new maps other than the new area. That would take up some time to come up with new ones.

daveshan wrote:
LeoTheLion wrote:
-Testing. Like in FRLG, the Pokemanz company might make this to perfect their existing mechanics or to test new mechanics for games to come. Part of FRLG was testing approval on the Journal, Wireless connection, different colored font (makes it hard to read), a newly organized Pokedex (That was annoying), item animations (those too) and much more. I expect HGSS to have a couple of new bells and whistles.


I doubt that. Most things, other than animations, in FRLG were hackable-to-obtain in RSE. Since the only "mystery" item to exist is the ??? Arceus plate, I doubt we'd ever get more.


Well let me just get my Pokemanz hack-o-rator 3000 and see what I can do on DPP. There's still a lot they can rework for these games. It's not like DPP came to their full potential. At all.

daveshan wrote:
LeoTheLion wrote:
-Pokemanz availability. As I stated before, I'm not going to complete my freaking Hoenn Dex to get the starters THREE TIMES. And no Colosseum either.


So do what every fifth NPC in the game tells/hints/suggests/throws in your face: TRADE. From day one, you were never expected to complete it by yourself. You made friends in your area and traded. Now, with online, there's even less of an excuse because you can make friends on forums. Trade shinies for ubers. Trade EV-trained for starters or pokemon that you have to pick one or the other. Heck, I'm still waiting on Krisp. Earlier in this thread I offered my suicune for a legit raikou or entei.


Because Emerald has Wi-Fi compatibility, right? I also don't have a GBA OR a link cable, so... Yeah. Can't do that.

Also, I forgot another reason:

-People wanted it. If you're going to say "Oh, we need a remake for these games" then turn around when it happens and bitch about it... Well, then you're hard to please.

_________________
You threw a "Dusk Ball!"
Aw, it appeared to be caught.
Screw it! Master Ball.

~A haiku


I disable smilies because I do not smile.


Sun May 24, 2009 4:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.