It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:51 am



Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 The HG/SS Questions Thread 
Author Message
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 545
Location: In America!
tripehound wrote:
khoufu wrote:
No, I defeated it, Dragonite was still out and took on Lapras or whatever came next. But no experience. I was pretty bummed.


Is your Dragonite at Lv. 100? That's the level cap in the main series, meaning it won't gain any additional points after hitting 100.

Excluding that and a double KO, I'm not sure what other restriction would come into play, as I believe the Red match does allow for Exp. gain. Is it possible you were given the points, but you missed the message?


My team is level 59, my Dragonite was close to growing a level, it would have gained a level if it had gotten EXP. I didn't miss the message. I think I defeated another of his monsters but I didn't get any EXP, either, but I don't remember. You don't think it could have happened because I switched in revived monsters so much?

_________________
Image(by spiritombs nightmare)
I trade/battle, PM me anytime!
Name:Madelin FC:(Diamond)3780 9007 3601 (Pearl)5370 0386 0381 (Platinum)5155 8801 1692
Image (by Ender)


Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:54 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 49
I don't see why it would. Pokémon that are revived after Fainting will still get Exp. so long as the opposing Pokémon (Red's Pikachu) remains in play, otherwise whatever calculations were made in that regard will be made void, and started anew when the Pikachu comes back out. Experience points are divided up evenly among all of your surviving participants, so everything that was played against, and ultimately survived, against Pikachu at the time of its fainting should have gotten the points.

Was Red's Pikachu either withdrawn or forced to switch out for something else while your Dragonite was out of play?

@ forum: Does anyone happen to remember if the match against Red in HG/SS even yields Exp. to begin with? I'll check it myself if I need to, but I haven't tackled him in two years, mainly because climbing up that blasted mountain is more aggravation than it's worth. :lol:


Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:11 pm
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3156
Location: clegavel
Quote:
@ forum: Does anyone happen to remember if the match against Red in HG/SS even yields Exp. to begin with? I'll check it myself if I need to, but I haven't tackled him in two years, mainly because climbing up that blasted mountain is more aggravation than it's worth.

It does, and lots of it.

_________________


Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:31 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 545
Location: In America!
His Pikachu was defeated by my Dragonite. He wasn't switched out. But if he was, I defeated him when he was switched back in.

_________________
Image(by spiritombs nightmare)
I trade/battle, PM me anytime!
Name:Madelin FC:(Diamond)3780 9007 3601 (Pearl)5370 0386 0381 (Platinum)5155 8801 1692
Image (by Ender)


Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:46 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 49
Thanks DNA. I couldn't remember if, given the nature of the match, the game treated it like a No Restriction link battle.

Well, khoufu, I'm at the end of my rope on this one. The only thing I can recommend is give the match another try after you've beaten the Elite Four again, and pay close attention to how the Exp. is distributed with each knockout. Based on the info you've given, there shouldn't be any reason why the game would skimp on the Exp. How very odd. :?

Unless someone else has seen something so plainly obvious that we're overlooking it?


Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 545
Location: In America!
I've fought him multiple times since then and gained EXP. My team is level 59-61, so I can't realy beat him OR the E4, bt Red is only 1 person so I prefer to train against him.

_________________
Image(by spiritombs nightmare)
I trade/battle, PM me anytime!
Name:Madelin FC:(Diamond)3780 9007 3601 (Pearl)5370 0386 0381 (Platinum)5155 8801 1692
Image (by Ender)


Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:00 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: I am Error.
So... I decided to restart my HG, and I'm thinking about this team:
{meganium} {pidgeot} {ampharos}

But I need 3 more Pokemon.
These 3 above are fix.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks! :D

_________________
Still searching for shiny Rapidash, hatched 1000 eggs!
Image
Thanks DragoBoy for this awesome sig and Mektar for the astonishing avatar!!!


Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:10 am
Posts: 1137
Location: Beyond the realms of death...
Dragonite, for a first. Also, a Surfer, like Tentacruel or Vaporeon. For the last one, I don't know... If you don't want to use your version's mascot, then how about Sudowoodo? It's not a bad Pokemon for in-game purposes.

_________________
The chill of death, the heart of a metalhead. A lone rebel.
Image
I'm a competitive battler, ask me if you have any questions on competitive battling or want advice on Ubers teambuilding.
Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!


Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:00 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: I am Error.
ChillBill wrote:
Dragonite, for a first. Also, a Surfer, like Tentacruel or Vaporeon. For the last one, I don't know... If you don't want to use your version's mascot, then how about Sudowoodo? It's not a bad Pokemon for in-game purposes.

Oh thanks!
But actually I'm thinking about Espeon and Seaking. (I want to try this big fish.)
What about Golem for 6th pokemon?
Is it good or something else will be better?

_________________
Still searching for shiny Rapidash, hatched 1000 eggs!
Image
Thanks DragoBoy for this awesome sig and Mektar for the astonishing avatar!!!


Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:10 am
Posts: 1137
Location: Beyond the realms of death...
Golem is perfectly fine... as long as you can trade to evolve it. Seaking, you say? Well, actually, do what you want! That's the fun of non-competitive play after all.

_________________
The chill of death, the heart of a metalhead. A lone rebel.
Image
I'm a competitive battler, ask me if you have any questions on competitive battling or want advice on Ubers teambuilding.
Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!


Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3156
Location: clegavel
Rhydon is superior to Golem in basically every way, and you don't need to trade to get it. Heck, trading it makes it even better.
I think Rhyhorn appear somewhat late-game, but in HGSS I know the Safari Zone exists, so that can help you get them a LOT earlier!

_________________


Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 am
Posts: 54
I have a dilemma, and I'm hoping someone can give me some good advice.

I recently captured Lugia (it is still sitting on my SS game, UNsaved). It has the preferred nature, Timid, and great defensive IVs: 30HP, 28 Def, 31 SpDef. However, his SpAtk and Speed are terrible ... both coming in at a whopping 3-5 IVs.

In reading various Pokemon related articles, I understand SPEED to be the number one attribute in today's metagame. Obviously, this Lugia is severly lacking in that respect. His base 110 Speed stat, paired with a Timid nature, is respectable ... but is that enough? As well, his special attacks aren't very powerful as is, and there is no added bonus there via nature or IVs.

Do I keep it, or ditch it and try for a better speed IV? If keeping it is the better option, what would be the best way to play him?

Thanks in advance for your input!

_________________
PLT FC: 0347 9101 1111 Anne
HG FC: 1421 0804 7374 Troy
BLK FC: 3998 3436 1731 Elvira
WHT2 FC: 3010 9810 2280 Elvira
Pokemon X and Y: 1263-6806-3915 Elle


Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:22 am
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3156
Location: clegavel
Lugia's primary means is to be fast, but that isn't all he is - he's famous for being a fast wall, though mostly a wall. If you want some ideas for Lugia sets check out Smogon. I'm not sure how much help that may be to you, but it's worth a peek at the very least if it gives you ideas.

If you want to try for better, go ahead and reset; if not, keep it.

2700 posts AW YISS

_________________


Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:46 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 am
Posts: 54
DNA wrote:
Lugia's primary means is to be fast, but that isn't all he is - he's famous for being a fast wall, though mostly a wall. If you want some ideas for Lugia sets check out Smogon. I'm not sure how much help that may be to you, but it's worth a peek at the very least if it gives you ideas.

If you want to try for better, go ahead and reset; if not, keep it.

2700 posts AW YISS


Thank you, DNA. Yes, I use Smogon on a regular basis. It may have been wise to use that first set listed, espcially given those awesome defensive IVs, but I let it go. I may live to regret it and be left to SR for the next 6 months. I hope not! You can be sure, however, that if I land a good one, you'll be the first one I tell! ;)

_________________
PLT FC: 0347 9101 1111 Anne
HG FC: 1421 0804 7374 Troy
BLK FC: 3998 3436 1731 Elvira
WHT2 FC: 3010 9810 2280 Elvira
Pokemon X and Y: 1263-6806-3915 Elle


Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3156
Location: clegavel
Plumbgirlie wrote:
You can be sure, however, that if I land a good one, you'll be the first one I tell! ;)

<3

_________________


Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:23 pm
Profile
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 1
Hello, I am new on this forum and I tried looking around for an answer to my question, but to no avail, so here goes:

I am currently trying to achieve 100 wins in the Soulsilver Battle Tower and I am using the trainer and Pokemon lists provided on the website.

However, there seems to be incorrect information regarding both the trainers and the Pokemon:

1) The dialog associated with each trainer on the trainer list page (http://www.psypokes.com/hgss/frontier_trainers.php) seems to be
copied from the Pokemon Platinum page and is incorrect for Heart Gold and Soul silver. This doesn't really matter or change anything, i just wanted to point it out.

2) Natures and EV spreads seem incorrect for a few (I've only found a few so far) Pokemon. For example, on two occasions, a Weavile and a Gliscor reportedly having 0 Speed EVs, no priority moves, and no priority items outsped my 31 IV, 252 Speed EV Timid Gengar.

I just wanted to know what was up with that.

Thanks for your time, sorry if I am mistaken in any way :)

Edit: Found another one, Alakazam, reportedly holding wise glasses, timid nature, 255 SA and 255 SD EVs, outsped my Gengar.


Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 am
Posts: 54
Here I am, again, with a questionable Lugia ...

This Lugia has great offensive IV's ... 28 Atk/ 31 SpA/ 31 Spe. However, it's defensive IV's are a paltry 14 HP/ 8Def/ 16 SpD. To make matters even more uncertain, it's nature is Careful (+ SpD, - SpA).

In referring to Smogon's recommended sets, it doesn't appear that this Lugia would be exceptional as a Wall, given it's defensive IVs. As well, even with a 31 IV in SpA, it's decrease in SpA (via it's Careful nature) is a letdown. I don't know that Calm Mind boosts would compensate for this readily enough. Oh, but those 31 IV's in Spe ... hard to ignore!

There is a mention of a viable physical set using Choice Band/Punishment and Avalanche (though Calm Mind boosted Sp attacks are generally recommended).

Does anyone think this Lugia is worth keeping? Has anyone had succesful experience with the physical set?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

_________________
PLT FC: 0347 9101 1111 Anne
HG FC: 1421 0804 7374 Troy
BLK FC: 3998 3436 1731 Elvira
WHT2 FC: 3010 9810 2280 Elvira
Pokemon X and Y: 1263-6806-3915 Elle


Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:40 am
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3156
Location: clegavel
Quote:
Does anyone think this Lugia is worth keeping?

No,

Quote:
However, it's defensive IV's are a paltry 14 HP/ 8Def/ 16 SpD.

because this.

_________________


Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:48 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 am
Posts: 54
DNA wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone think this Lugia is worth keeping?

No,

Quote:
However, it's defensive IV's are a paltry 14 HP/ 8Def/ 16 SpD.

because this.


Thank you much, DNA. :)

_________________
PLT FC: 0347 9101 1111 Anne
HG FC: 1421 0804 7374 Troy
BLK FC: 3998 3436 1731 Elvira
WHT2 FC: 3010 9810 2280 Elvira
Pokemon X and Y: 1263-6806-3915 Elle


Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:25 am
Profile
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:41 pm
Posts: 13
Spoinkable wrote:
Thiefsrox wrote:
Why isn't suicune showing up near Bill's cottage? I just encountered him at route 14.

Have you already done the Power Plant / Misty's Gym subquest?

Have you already seen Suicune in every place it appears? If not, that's the problem.

My question: If I choose a starter from Kanto, does it rule out Hoenn (or vice versa)?


Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:51 am
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3156
Location: clegavel
Nope. Independent events.

_________________


Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:47 pm
Profile
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:41 pm
Posts: 13
Okay, thanks for answering.


Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:42 pm
Posts: 440
Location: North America
Yeah in Heartgold and Soulsilver, you can get 1 of each of the Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn starters. No Sinnoh starters but that's because you can get those in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.


Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:49 am
Profile
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:58 pm
Posts: 3
is there ANY way that I can trade Pokémon FROM my Black version TO my Heart gold version?


Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:00 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:00 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: I am Error.
hllyssa18 wrote:
is there ANY way that I can trade Pokémon FROM my Black version TO my Heart gold version?

Nope, sadly.

_________________
Still searching for shiny Rapidash, hatched 1000 eggs!
Image
Thanks DragoBoy for this awesome sig and Mektar for the astonishing avatar!!!


Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.