It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Forum rules


ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA
Image



Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 R_R's Vidya Character Ranking Extravaganza 
Author Message
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:38 pm
Posts: 1415
Location: Somewhere in this general area.
L peice never appears when I need it....

And yes the "HOLY COW FARIS IS A GIRL!!!!!!" scence is really not nessacary...

As for the rest I honestly cant say anything cause I havent played the games (Ive played Maio, just not a lot of).

Cant wait for the rest of the list...

_________________
A glass is never empty it will always be full of air, unless its in a vacuum, THEN its empty.


Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:44 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:51 pm
Posts: 616
Location: hiding in my hoenn secret base
Revan from KOTR 1 should be ranked up there. I would put him in the top 10 at least but maybe the top 5. Great story line and KOTR II dropped tons of hints about where he went and the launch site for THE OLD REPUBLIC is shedding light on him and promising even more revelations.

Revan is the greatest star wars game character ever created. His lack of book/movie appearances keeps him from being the greatest wars guy in general.

but seriously he should be up there.

_________________
Veni Vidi Vici



I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.


Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:07 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:04 am
Posts: 1320
Location: Sky Tower
The thing I like about Silent Hill is that it is prominently more "psychologically" scary than visually scary. It doesn't rely on the guro. There is blood and flesh, true, but it's more disturbing in a "subliminal" way, other than in a more violent one. The monsters and environment are so frightening because they are manifestations of the character's particular inner horrors, distorted into something indirectly grotesque. Instead of "OMG, BLOOOOD, BRAAAINS" (let's say, something like Final Destination or Dawn of the Dead), it's more of a "I don't get-wait...OMG! D:" kind of terror.

Abstract Daddy is just one of the many creatures that encompasses this definition. It is ugly indeed, but it's the symbolism behind this disfigured creature that makes it so... unsettling. It represents Angela's sexual abuse by her father, and it does so in a very efficient way. After James takes down the beast, Angela finishes the job by kicking it and throwing a television on its "head". Her personal revenge, I guess. Still, Abstract Daddy (or Daddies) reappears one more time, probably indicating that Angela is still being tormented by her guilt (?) of murdering her father. I guess it means our terrors never truly leave us.

I think Abstract Daddy is a little worse (creepier) than Pyramid Head not quite in the symbolism (no monster in Silent Hill 2 tops Pyramid Head's deepness), but in appearance and overall behaviour. It did frighten me more than Pyramid Head, and I decided to chose him instead of other remarkable creatures of the franchise because it's just more... unnerving than the others.

Gomess belongs to the group of monsters that make part of the "terrifying bosses from non-horror games" list. It's not as creepy as Majora, though, but still, it's kind of awkward to find it in that game. The Legend of Zelda franchise is mostly family-oriented, and even though it does have its bit of creepyness, it's still disturbing to find scary things like that along your journey.

The dark-cloacked monster that comes for you when you're to die (the grim reaper?) is, to these days, a fearful character of our culture, which makes Gomess consequently scary. However, its eyes and mouth disrupt a possible frightening persona and make Gomess look kind of goofy. I think the character could feel a lot scarier than it does.

The most terrifying encounter with Gomess isn't canon, but from the Haunted Majora's Mask Cartridge creepypasta. I didn't know Gomess back then, so this first, disturbing encounter was very interesting. Video is here, the encounter is at 04:25, and it's a lot more disturbing than the real thing, heh. I suggest you watch the whole video, though.

I really hated Boos back in Super Mario World, as I always had trouble beating the Haunted House stages. Nowadays, though, I find Boos particularly adorable, specially Boo Mario and Boo Luigi. I really like these new, advanced forms of Boo, including their laughter and overall cute design.

I don't have a solid opinion on Bullet Bills, except my favorite Bullet Bill is that giant one from the very first levels of Super Mario World. It always gave me this feeling of superiority, as in "you're so big but you can't hurt me HA!".

I don't find Skull Kid as interesting as I probably should. He was a victim of Majora's evilness, and he's kind of funny/goofy, and has an interesting backstory, but still, he just isn't that appealing. I like his laughter, though... I guess he isn't a top favorite character, but could be a likeable character nonetheless.

_________________
Image


Last edited by Galar on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:31 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 am
Posts: 690
Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Nice, Galar. You tell us not to speak of You-Know-Who, (not voldemort, 'cause Harry killed him) and then you go and give us a link to one of the videos. >_> Anyway, Abstact Daddy, now that I've heard of him, creeps me out. I'm happy that apparently you're at least a small Zelda fan as only three of those characters have been elininated so far. Also, laughed at this:
Frost wrote:
OMG OMG L-BLOCK *fans self furiously* SO REAL, SO FIERCE!!!

_________________
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." -Abraham Lincoln
"You can't argue with all the fools in the world- it's best to let them have their way and trick them while they're not looking." -Brom
Credit to Jester for the avatar!


Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 1400
Location: Aurora, CO
Registeel_Rocks wrote:
He would probably be ranked lower, but I have a bit more fondness and respect for him thanks to an older member of this site who goes by username of this very character.

I must say R_R, this is made my day, thanks for remembering this old timer. :)

Also, I do have to say I love your ranking thread so far, much like Frost's Pokemon ranking thread, your honest in your opinions of the characters, keep it up.


Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:04 am
Posts: 1320
Location: Sky Tower
Edoc'sil wrote:
Nice, Galar. You tell us not to speak of You-Know-Who, (not voldemort, 'cause Harry killed him) and then you go and give us a link to one of the videos. >_>


Oops-a-daisy.

Maybe it was his intention all along and I'm a mere victim of his influence?

Who knows! ;)

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:23 am
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:33 pm
Posts: 1578
Location: Wisconsin
Image
#55 Tetra/Zelda
Games: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, LoZ: Phantom Hourglass
Suggested by: Edoc

_________________
Image


Last edited by Registeel_Rocks on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:38 pm
Posts: 1415
Location: Somewhere in this general area.
DANG! Zero actually dies st the end... Ahh well that was a good game and agree with you on those points you made. But, isnt Ceil human??? Anyways keep up the good work.

_________________
A glass is never empty it will always be full of air, unless its in a vacuum, THEN its empty.


Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:33 pm
Posts: 1578
Location: Wisconsin
GofD wrote:
But, isnt Ceil human???

errr yes you are correct, made a mistake there. I shall remedy that posthaste.

_________________
Image


Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:49 pm
Posts: 1196
Location: William McKinley High School. Lima, Ohio.
This post contains spoilers about Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker. If you do not want the end of those two games spoiled, do not read my post abut the two characters from the games.

You pretty much said everything I would say about Amaterasu. The game she was in was a wonderful game, which I played purely for the beautiful art of the game. I really like her because she is female, and I usually like to have a main female character.

Tetra was an interesting character. She wasn't your typical Zelda, at least to me. Even though she got kidnapped, when she was freed she actually fought alongside you. I give her respect for that, even though she took my stupid bow which is my favorite item in Wind Waker. I liked that she still didn't believe that she was who she was, even when confronted with indisputable evidence about it. I don't know much about her after Wind Waker because I never finished Phantom Hourglass, and I lost my copy of the game, so I couldn't finish it even if I wanted.

Ganon was awesome, and my third favorite boss fight in Ocarina of Time. Bongo Bongo takes second, and Twinrova first respectively. Ganon had a good flushed out backstory in Ocarina of Time, and was always an overwhelming threat throughout the game even when you didn't know his name yet. I was really pissed that he got to go to the Sacred Realm before me when I first plucked the Master Sword out of the Pedastal of Time. I did all that hard work just to have him go "thanks for doing the leg work, Imma gonna get that Triforce." His final fights were good, and once I did the Ganondorf quick battle trick. When I first played Wind Waker I was glad they introduced him early in the game. I knew it was him just by his back I was playing the game and I go "Ganon" one of my parents walked by and they have a faint idea of who he is and they went "how do you know that?" I was "I just do." His final fight in Wind Waker was fun, so much fun I have a save file seet asied right before you fight him in his puppet forms, and the final fight. I liked the duel swords he had, it gave him an extra tint of badassery. Plus the way he died in that game was beautiful, skip to around 4:45. Timeline Theory Time! This is my take on the Ganon thing R_R. At the end of Ocarina of Time when Link gets transported back two timelines start. There is an adult timeline and a child timeline. The adult timeline continued on with the events of Twilight Princess. The child timeline continues on with Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.

Red is meh. I never had much fondness for him, and him winning the Character Challenge still irks me greatly.

Vivi was cool. He was one of my favorites in my FFIX stint. I never finished the game, so knowing what happens to him at the end of the game is comforting. Albeit very sad. Zidane was okay in my book. I neither loved him or hated him. I still remember at the beginning of the game using his Thief ability to steal the Mage Masher at the early point in the game.

I love the green dinosaur that is known as Yoshi. He was, and is my favorite Mario character. I use him in any game that I can, except for Smash because other characters are in it that I love more than him. Yoshi is awesome.

_________________
Image
I suck at WiFi battling.


Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 pm
Posts: 581
Location: The Land of Ooo
shinashu taji wrote:
Timeline Theory Time! This is my take on the Ganon thing R_R. At the end of Ocarina of Time when Link gets transported back two timelines start. There is an adult timeline and a child timeline. The adult timeline continued on with the events of Twilight Princess. The child timeline continues on with Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.


Well, the thing is his fairy (whose name has completely escaped me just now) leaves him, and Majoras Mask starts out as his quest to find her. And then he runs into Skull Kid and then gets into the whole Termina business trying to stop Majora. But Wind Waker couldn't have been after that, because it's way after everything, how else could anything in Hyrule be after Wind Waker cause the setting was flooded Hyrule. And I'm not sure about Twlight Princess, but I think it was later. All these people are ancestors of the hero, and Ocarina of Time is the first in the timeline. BUT, I remember reading that Skyward Sword is before even that. Maybe i'm mistaken, but i'm pretty sure about that.

_________________
Hi my name is Hunter
Avatar credited to me. I can make you one too if you want. ;D
Image


Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:17 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:09 pm
Posts: 3228
Location: Anywhere and everywhere, coming for you.
I have to agree. Zidane is pretty awesome. :P

_________________
Image


Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:25 am
Profile
THE POWER IS ON!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 am
Posts: 1559
Location: Purple Ranger
I CAN'T REALLY COMMENT ON THIS UPDATE BECAUSE I DON'T CARE ABOUT ZELDA CHARACTERS AND REFUSE TO READ VIVI/ZIDANE'S ENTRIES DUE TO SPOILERS ugh so frustrating.

However White Mage is simultaneously the most useful and the most useless character in FF1. It's an interesting paradox that Joey touched on in his write-up. The game is impossible if you don't have a White Mage, but it's equally impossible if you use an entire team of White Mages. She sucks in battle but she's invaluable outside of battle to get through dungeons. In my two FF1 files, I've named my White Mage after TK back in 2004 and then after Krisp in 2010. The latter seems like a far better choice now that I think of White Mage as a female, obvi.

Red sucks and is forever dead.to.me. after winning the second Psypoke character contest. Boring mutes aren't entertaining, Internet, and I'd argue that they don't even really count as "characters" in the first place.

Also, Little Mac IS so real and so fierce. Especially in the Wii game.

_________________


Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:13 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 am
Posts: 690
Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Ah, Yoshi. Definitely one of my favorite characters, even in the smash games. I just spam the 'get in your egg' move and then beat the heck out of it. Get in the egg, beat it up. Repeat. I hardly lose when using that stupid strategy. And I finished the phantom hourglass, and SPOILER ALERT! Highlight to view spoiler.
when you wake Tetra up, even after the annoying hours of play, she and her crew think that the whole thing was about ten minutes. AARRGGHHHHH!!!!

_________________
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." -Abraham Lincoln
"You can't argue with all the fools in the world- it's best to let them have their way and trick them while they're not looking." -Brom
Credit to Jester for the avatar!


Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:21 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Posts: 1312
YOOOSHHIII!!! <3 Probably one of my favorite video game characters ever.

I like Red probably because of the fact that his silence allows you to really immerse yourself in the game. And, honestly, Brendan, Gold, etc., are just as silent, but don't get as much recognition (probably because Red was first, but w/e). However, because he's a silent protagonist, I also think this is a good spot for him; Red shouldn't be on top of character lists, since it's not really his character that people like. jeez I contradicted myself there...

Also, I'm glad this thread came back. I'd honestly thought you stopped doing it.

_________________
Image


Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:38 pm
Posts: 1415
Location: Somewhere in this general area.
Registeel_Rocks wrote:
GofD wrote:
But, isnt Ceil human???

errr yes you are correct, made a mistake there. I shall remedy that posthaste.


Ok, phew, for a moment there I though I had Ceil totaly wrong.

On to Zelda, I really cant say much because the only 3 Zelda Games I've played are The orginal Zelda (rereleased for GBA), Zelda 2 (rereleased for GBA) and Zelda and the Minish cap. Out of those three I personally enjoyed Zelda and the Minish Cap, the other 2, I found lacked a good story. As for Zelda the character, I never really cared about her much...

As for Red, hes just another character you have to beat, no big deal here.

White mage....I honestly prefer teh red or black mage...

Yoshi- Annoying.

_________________
A glass is never empty it will always be full of air, unless its in a vacuum, THEN its empty.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:45 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:04 am
Posts: 1320
Location: Sky Tower
I don't mind protagonists who don't speak. I can't say I prefer them over talking heroes, either. I do feel a little difference between the two, though.

Talking heroes have a lot more personality, but, in my opinion, silent protagonists emanate this feeling of the player inside the game, rather than a main character you simply control; talking characters are more independent and less representative. I don't know, it's something subtle, and I guess it actually depends on the player rather than the protagonist.

I like Red. But I'm a dumbass who's easily influenced by the fandom and my own "storyteller" mind. That means my reasons are most likely stupid and poorly based, but I take everything into consideration nonetheless. Not just canon material, but fanon as well, and how the character is portrayed by my favorite/good artists (writers or illustrators).

The silent thing about Red in the first game isn't really that important. All main characters in the Pokemon franchise are mute, and I honestly think if any of them talked it wouldn't really feel like it's YOU who are catching all those Pokemon, or that it was YOU who defeated the evil organization, and YOU made it to the Elite 4 and defeated the Champion. Red is just another main character, but he's probably more popular due to his games being the first to be released.

When he returns in GSC as the most powerful trainer, I actually expected him to say something. But if he did say a word, he would fall off his pedestal. Red isn't just mute. He has the most powerful team of Pokemon of every game released so far. He doesn't say a word because he doesn't have to, or doesn't want to bother saying anything. You know what he's been through, you know his name and fame. If Red talked, he wouldn't look so distant, imponent and superior and... legendary. When you climb to the very top of Mt. Silver, you encounter not just a powerful trainer, but a legend, a Pokemon master known for his heroic acts and skill, a trainer who gained the title of Pokemon Champion but continued his training in one of the most dangerous environments in Johto. What would you say to him? What would he say to you? I don't have a clue.

The encounter with Red at Mt. Silver is a memorable moment in the games, inspiring amazing fanart and fanfics that made it look even more epic. That, amongst other interesting fanstuff I've seen, helped a lot building the image I have of Red, but his (or yours) history also plays a major role on that. True, all main characters of the Pokemon games help save the world somehow, but that's for the sake of the games's (lack of?) plot, as all Pokemon RPGs have an "evil organization that wants to take over the world", and you, being the main character, run into them at some point. It's like tradition: if there isn't an evil organization to be disbanded, then it isn't a Pokemon RPG.

But Red does everything by himself, with no one's help. Gold is helped by Lance, Ruby and Sapphire have their way guided by other NPCs, Diamond/Pearl work together with their rival and Professor, and Black/White has the help of Gym Leaders and also counts with the appearance of other NPCs. What about Red, though? Who's there for Red when he defeats Team Rocket and Giovanni? No one. Blue makes an appearance, but does he help? No, he doesn't. He's there to tease Red, to challenge him, and... to be defeated by him.

In the end, Red is a hero and an awesome character, despite his silence. In his case, action speaks louder than words.

Amaterasu (or Ammy) is also a silent character. Then again, dogs/wolves don't talk (or, at least, they shouldn't, despite some being undercovered gods). Still, Ammy acts a lot, and her behaviour is enough for her to develop her personality by herself. She's like a mix between silent and talking protagonists, and that's cool.

I love Ammy. She's adorable, funny, and has one of the most amazing powers I've seen. She draws, and things, magical, divine things happen. Who wouldn't want that?

Okami is a beautiful game, with a unique scenery and unique, interesting characters. Ammy is the goddess of everything that is good and pure, and I like that atmosphere. She doesn't do everything by herself, though; like Ninten and his friends in the battle against Giygas, Ammy relies on people's devotion and faith to defeat Yami. That portrays well the image of Gods: where would they be if there weren't people who believed in them? They probably wouldn't even be. If it wasn't for people's love and trust, Ammy would've failed on her mission.

Still, Ammy is a great character on her own, even though I do have to say Issun plays an important role on her "growth". These two really deserve each other, and the end of the game made me feel a little sad.

Another tl;dr post, courtesy of your way-too-talkative Galar. =/

_________________
Image


Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:09 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.