It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:46 pm

Forum rules

ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Frost's Rankings: The Cast of Super Smash Bros. (Complete) 
THE POWER IS ON!

So now that my Pokemon list is done and I have nothing better to do with my time...

Is there anything else you guys would like to see me rank? As long as there's not like 500 different options again, it doesn't even have to be Pokemon-related.

Oh and I'm saying no to ranking Pokemon characters right now because they're almost all boring. Seriously.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:52 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Hmmm I pretty much know how you feel about all the Street Fighter characters already, L4D cast is too small, Halo character cast is small...

... Final Fantasy characters, perhaps?

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

How about Super Smash Bros. Characters from every game?

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:32 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

How about the ranking of game genre?

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:56 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

What about Kingdom Hearts? You could do enmies, or main characters from all the games. Both categories are big enough without being too big.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:53 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

shinashu taji wrote:
What about Kingdom Hearts? You could do enmies, or main characters from all the games. Both categories are big enough without being too big.

Indeed, Kingdom Hearts is awesome. I wish I still had a Playstation 2. I loved those games. The Organization XIII was the coolest.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:02 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Registeel_Rocks wrote:
Hmmm I pretty much know how you feel about all the Street Fighter characters already, L4D cast is too small, Halo character cast is small...

... Final Fantasy characters, perhaps?

No way, I'd be at his throat the entire time trying to fight his opinion :p

I'm pretty sure Frost doesn't play Kingdom Hearts and I know for sure he hasn't played Brawl.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, who knows then. If you wanted to take a risky route, you could rate the forum goers. The ones who actually do post generally quite a bit... but that's a lot of people, and could go bad, fast. Who knows.

Last edited by Magikarps_Beast on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:41 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Magikarps_Beast wrote:
Well, who knows then. If you wanted to take a risky route, you could rate the forum goers. The ones who actually do post generally quite a bit... but that's a lot of people, and could go bad, fast. Who knows.

I was thinking that, but the low level ones (Like Me) would most likely get pissed.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:51 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Magikarps_Beast wrote:
I would like to see it. I would wanna see what I rank. I may not have a high post count but I post alot. It would be a ton a fun.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:58 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Dark_Swampert wrote:
Magikarps_Beast wrote:
I would like to see it. I would wanna see what I rank. I may not have a high post count but I post alot. It would be a ton a fun.

Contradicted much? High post count= posting a lot.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:29 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

1. Frost's top 100 songs of all time
2. Frost's top 100 most beautiful women
3. Frost ranks the elements on the periodic table

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Allow me to add some of my own perfectly cromulent ideas.

-Popes (perhaps in order of frequency of crimes against humanity covered up)

-Select frequencies along the electromagnetic spectrum

-Funniest names of racehorses

-Types of mullets (the fish, not the hair)

-Greatest tyrants (minimum death count of 1,000,000)

I look forward to some great debate.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

DragonPhoenix wrote:
2. Frost's top 100 most beautiful women

I laughed so hard on seeing that I almost fell out of my chair... But it would be interesting. However, to make it more accessible to Frost, how about his top 100 beautiful people, regardless of gender?

Just a thought. Maybe he should rank the Power Rangers...

I would give a lot (hypothetically) to see what he thinks about all of them because he's such a fan.

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Japanese or the English one? (Power Rangers-OMG! Should've done the RP on Power Rangers instead...)
For English, I like...
NVM. I would like it if we rank those who only ever posted in this subforum.
I can't think, as it's 12:34 AM my time...
Good night!

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:35 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

After seeing everybody's suggestions, I will be ranking the cast of the Super Smash Bros. series. I also liked the ideas of ranking Power Rangers and Street Fighter characters, but I don't think many people on these forums would care. (Plus, there are over a hundred Power Rangers so that one would be pretty time-consuming!) I actually also liked the idea of ranking hot women, but picking 100 out of a nearly endless field of candidates is too hard for me.

Also, this won't be some huge thing like my Pokemon rankings. I'll share my opinions for each character in their original series, in the Smash series, if they did a good job translating the character to the Smash series and if the character deserved to be in the Smash series. Hope to have the entire list done in a week, meaning 6-7 characters per day.

Characters will be added here as they're ranked:
01. Princess Peach
02. Jigglypuff
03. Kirby
04. Ice Climbers
05. Captain Olimar
06. Bowser
07. Mario
08. Pikachu
09. Samus
10. Lucario
11. Zero Suit Samus
12. Yoshi
13. King Dedede
14. Diddy Kong
15. Luigi Mario
16. Fox McCloud
17. Snake
18. Donkey Kong
19. Squirtle
20. Falco Lombardi
21. Meta Knight
22. Mewtwo
23. Sonic the Hedgehog
24. Ivysaur
25. Dr. Mario
26. Pit
27. Roy
28. Charizard
29. Ness
30. Lucas
31. Wolf O'Donnell
32. Pokemon Trainer Red
33. Ganondorf
34. Princess Zelda
35. R.O.B.
36. Mr. Game and Watch
37. Sheik
38. Link
39. Ike
40. Marth
41. Wario
42. Captain Falcon
43. Pichu
44. Young Link
45. Toon Link

By Series:
Super Mario Bros. Series (+ spinoffs)
01. Peach - #1
02. Bowser - #6
03. Mario - #7
04. Yoshi - #12
05. Diddy Kong - #14
06. Luigi - #15
07. Donkey Kong - #18
08. Dr. Mario - #25
09. Wario - #41

Zelda Series:
01. Ganondorf - #33
02. Zelda - #34
03. Sheik - #37
04. Link - #38
05. Young Link - #44
06. Toon Link - #45

Pokemon Series:
01. Jigglypuff - #2
02. Pikachu - #8
03. Lucario - #10
04. Squirtle - #19
05. Mewtwo - #22
06. Ivysaur - #24
07. Charizard - #28
08. Pokemon Trainer Red - #32
09. Pichu - #43

Metroid Series:
01. Samus - #9
02. Zero Suit Samus - #11

Star Fox Series:
01. Fox - #16
02. Falco - #20
03. Wolf - #31

Kirby Series:
01. Kirby - #3
02. King Dedede - #13
03. Meta Knight - #21

Mother/Earthbound Series:
01. Ness - #29
02. Lucas - #30

Fire Emblem Series:
01. Roy - #27
02. Ike - #39
03. Marth - #40

The Others:
01. Ice Climbers - #4
02. Captain Olimar - #5
03. Snake - #17
04. Sonic the Hedgehog - #23
05. Pit - #26
06. R.O.B. - #35
07. Mr. Game and Watch - #36
08. Captain Falcon - #42

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:15 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

45. Toon Link
Game(s): Brawl; Tier Ranking: 14th out of 38

What do I think of this character in his original series?: I will say right now that I do not have a very high opinion of the Legend of Zelda series. This particular incarnation of Link is his cel-shaded Wind Waker incarnation. I've never played that game, so I can't comment on his storyline/development, etc., but if he's anything like the other Links, his character and backstory should be non-existent, which is a problem that I have with Link in general.

What do I think of this character in Smash?/How well did this character transition from his original series to Smash?: I was not happy at all when I found he was included. Since I only played Brawl once and didn't pick Toon Link, I can't say much more. However, it's really stupid that he has the same exact moveset as regular Link. So basically they're telling me that Link had no new abilities at all in Wind Waker? And don't give me the old standby "their special moves have different properties!" reasoning; they're the same basic moves.

Did this character deserve to be in Brawl?: Absolutely not. Link is already in. If they really wanted to add another Zelda character, and I'll be fair and concede that the series did deserve that much, they should have added Midna from Twilight Princess. It's really pathetic that Sakurai boasted about how there "wouldn't be any clones" in Brawl, yet clone Young Link got replaced with this goofy cartoon variety. Even its name is stupid. Nobody called Wind Waker Link this name until Brawl came along.

Overall Rating: F. An uncreative clone who looks awful and brings nothing to the series.

44. Young Link
Game(s): Melee; Tier: 19th out of 25

What do I think of this character in his original series?: Young Link seemingly originates from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Unlike Wind Waker, I have played that game. Young Link was one of the most irritating aspects of the game, because 1) fictional children tend to be really irritating; 2) His voice is annoying and he growls and yells and whines with every single thing you do. He was probably the single most boring Nintendo hero that I've ever played and one of the reasons I gave up on the game despite TRYING to like it.

What do I think of this character in Smash?/How well did this character transition from his original series to Smash?: Like Toon Link, Young Link is a clone of his older form, so these two categories are combined yet again. I think Young Link is generally annoying in Melee, but he's a good punching bag. Unlike Toon Link, I've played Young Link's game before and I guess they did an okay job of turning him into a Smash character although, once again, he has the same moveset as Link except with fire arrows. Also, his target test was really annoying.

Did this character deserve to be in Melee?: Absolutely not. They already had a version of Link that just about everybody preferred over this. Even if I were a kid I wouldn't want to play as a kid version of Link over the real thing. Young Link's inclusion seemed like a cheap way to up the character roster and fit in another Zelda character. Thankfully, he was technically dropped after Melee, even though he really just lived on in the form of Toon Link.

Overall Rating: D-. He is slightly less annoying than Toon Link because Sakurai never tried to act like Melee wouldn't have clones, and they thankfully dropped him from the series. He's still a child version of a boring character, though.

43. Captain Falcon
Game(s): Vanilla, Melee and Brawl; Tiers: 4th out of 12; 7th out of 25; 33th out of 38

What do I think of this character in his original series?: I've only played a couple of F-Zero games; if Captain Falcon was even in them, I didn't notice him. However, his series is basically a futuristic racing series, so he probably wouldn't have much in-game character or storylines. Supplementary materials have portrayed Falcon as a bounty hunter who races for money or something. And he has an evil duplicate. Whatever.

What do I think of this character in Smash?: Falcon is one of the series' most irritating characters. I commonly refer to his up special as the "air rape" because he pounces on the opponent, does a dodgy movement and then shouts "YES!" Falcon Punch and Falcon Kick are also pretty annoying moves. The "Show me your moves!" taunt is only amusing the first time you hear it and not the eight zillion times after that. Plus, damn, motherfucker be an ugly old man.

How well did this character transition?: Falcon is one of those weird cases where Nintendo had a popular series that didn't lend itself to Smash's play style at all. I'm pretty sure all of Captain Falcon's moves in Smash were made up for this series and, honestly, I don't blame Nintendo for doing this. Because, really, what was he supposed to have for Special moves, the ability to jump into an F-Zero racer and run over his opponent? So they did a good job at making Falcon memorable even though they basically had to start from scratch with him.

Did this character deserve to be in the Smash series?: Hard to say. F-Zero is apparently a mildly successful series, but I can't say I had even heard of it until I unlocked Falcon in the original Smash Bros. It did spawn an anime series after Melee was released, though. As one of the most obscure characters in the original Smash Bros., I'd probably say that he didn't deserve to be in that game over huge stars like Bowser and Peach, but he was definitely fine in Melee and Brawl.

Overall Rating: D. Falcon has weak star power at best, he's annoying as hell to fight, and his catchphrases quickly become tiresome. I used to refer to him as "Captain Dickhead" (oh the joys of being 14 :roll:) and use him as my punching bag in Melee's training mode. I could do without him.

42. Pichu
Game(s): Melee; Tier: 25th out of 25

What do I think of this character in his original series?: As a Pokemon, I've already covered Pichu extensively in my previous ranking thread. However, to quickly recap: I don't have much respect for baby Pokemon. Pichu, in particular, starred in my least favorite episode of the anime. It's kind of cute but otherwise a worthless promotional tool.

What do I think of this character in Smash?: If you recall my write-up for Pichu in my Pokemon thread, I discussed at lengths how annoying I found Pichu in the Smash series, and it's actually the primary factor in my dislike for Pichu as a Pokemon. It has a REALLY annoying voice in Melee, especially when it screeches "PICHU PIIIIIICHUUUUU" when it dies, and it was just a flop of a joke character. It's completely worthless and little to no comedy is derived from its uselessness, unlike similar joke characters in real fighting games.

How well did this character transition?: Pretty well. Pichu is a weak-ass dowgraded version of Pikachu in the Pokemon series, and he's weak-ass downgraded version of Pikachu in the Smash series. It's one of the lightest and most easy to kill Pokemon in both series, and Pichu hurting itself from lightning in Melee was another way to portray it as young and inexperienced, even if the idea isn't present in Pokemon.

Did this character deserve to be in Melee?: Pichu's worthiness was questionable at best. He seemingly only appeared to add a Johto Pokemon to the Smash roster, but even then... this was their best pick? Though, I'm sure the fact that Pichu was sort of popular and could add another clone character to boost the ranks played a role in the decision to add him. Either way, after they stopped trying to represent every Generation of Pokemon in Brawl, Pichu was dropped and nobody cared, so I'll say that it didn't deserve to be in Melee.

Overal Rating: D. Pichu is kind of cute and comes from a great series, but it's really annoying and a joke character at which nobody laughed.

41. Wario
Game(s): Brawl; Tier: 5th out of 38

What do I think of this character in his original series?: The idea of a major video game character having an "evil twin" was a pretty fresh idea when Wario created back in the early 90's, but now the idea is horribly overdone. Also, Wario is pretty annoying in general and I could have done without him (or his brother Waluigi, who proves exactly why the "evil twin" idea is so cliche at this point) appearing in all of the Mario spinoffs, starting when he replaced the awesome Koopa Troopa in Mario Kart 64. He's really over the top and annoying. I have no desire to play his starring titles, either.

What do I think of this character in Smash?: Wario being able to pick up and throw his motorcyle is kind of funny, but as soon as I saw that one of his Special Moves was Wario FARTING, I was done with him. That kind of humor is completely unfunny to me. And his stupid biting Special Move is random as hell, too.

How well did this character transition?: Wario's transition was completely accurate. He is ridiculous, over the top, unfunny and immature in both the Smash series and in general. We get it, he's fat and therefore he likes to eat. We don't need to see him biting and farting on people, thanks.

Did this character deserve to be in the Smash series?: Putting aside how I feel about the character, Wario's spot in the series is completely warranted. He's been in countless Mario spinoff titles over the years and, if Mario's other rivals Bowser and DK get to be in the series, it's logical that Wario should be there too. Particularly because Wario's starred in successful games of his own without Mario, unlike Bowser. I'm honestly surprised he didn't show up until Brawl, actually.

Overall Rating: D+. Worthy of inclusion in the Smash series he is, worthy of my attention he is not.

40. Marth and 39. Ike
Image Image
Game(s): Melee, Brawl (Marth) / Brawl (Ike); Tiers: 5th out of 25; 6th out of 38 (Marth) / 25th out of 38 (Ike)

What do I think of these characters in their original series?: I wouldn't know - I have never played a single Fire Emblem game, nor do I really intend on playing one anytime soon. Therefore, I know nothing about Ike NOR Marth, except that I think the latter is the prince of his kingdom or whatever? idk, something like that.

What do I think of this character in Smash?: I don't mind Marth, even though he looks like a chick. Ike is a bit annoying in the sense that he's another "clone," essentially replacing Roy from Melee. When Sakurai said Brawl wouldn't have any clones. Uh huh. And yet, at the same time, I like his appearance more than Marth's, so there you go.

How well did this character transition?: Don't ask me because I wouldn't know. I would imagine Marth was probably pretty accurate since he was the base form for two similar characters. Which makes me think that Ike probably wasn't an authentic translation unless all of the Fire Emblem characters play similarly in their series.

Did this character deserve to be in the Smash series?: Marth deserves to appear in the Japanese version of Melee but not the American version considering that, you know, WE NEVER GOT THE FIRE EMBLEM GAMES BEFORE MELEE'S RELEASE. However, Marth staying in the American Melee is okay with me because you know people would be bitching if characters were removed from the Japanese version, regardless if those people had even heard of said characters before. Ike is questionable considering they dropped a popular character (Roy) to stick him in even though they're both clones of the same character (Marth). Overall, I'm not bothered by either of them appearing.

Overall Rating: D+. I really have nothing against the guys. But they're boring in Smash and I don't have any connection to the two of them as characters at all. Plus, the blue hair and Marth looking like a chick is stupid. Sword characters generally bore me, too.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:55 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

! Okay, I don't know much about Toon Link because I haven't played Wind Waker in forever, and I was just playing it at my friends house, she didn't have Ocarina of Time. She's a loser. Lol. But Link does too have a background! Not much of one, but that's because he's supposed to be the mysterious hero!

Anyways, In Ocarina of Time (that was set before ALL of the other games) introduced Link as a hylian boy who was saved by the fairy, Navi, and brought to Kokiri to try and save the Great Deku Tree because he was cursed, by Ganondorf I assume. Anyways, as a character he's not the one who needs the backstory. The only things in the game that really need the backstory is Hyrule itself, and about the Triforce and how it came to be. And I know EVERYTHING about that. I am a Zelda nerd.

Also, I think Midna would be a cool character, but are you meaning Midna on top of Wolf Link? Or the full form of her? I think the full form would be awesome (because when it comes to video game characters, shes hawt), but I don't really know how that would work because you only see her like that at the very end of Twilight Princess. But I think adding her into the next Super Smash Bros. game would be cool, especially if the super weapon thing, where you have to collect all the parts to use, was the Fused Shadows, and you could turn into the big spidery thing and just kill everyone. Lol.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:33 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

First off Frost you should play Wind Waker it is a good Zelda game. Second with Toon Link I think that his entry was warranted but not really. I think Nintendo wanted to keep the list of female fighters down for whatever reason, and so instead of putting Midna in, who would be female, they opted for the male character, which would be Link. I really liked that Toon Link was in Brawl because, as I said, he is my second favorite incarnation of Link so I was very happy when I knew that he was going to be in Brawl, and as such he is my third most used character in the game. As for Toon Link being a clone of Link, I would like to respectfully disagree. Toon Link and Link do have the same moves, that I am not going to argue, but they play so differently. Toon Link gets more air and hang time, plus his down air slams him into the ground unlike Link's. Also with Toon Link there is an air combo with him using the bombs and his down air. All in all with Toon Link he is a clone, but with very subtle differences and thus isn't a complete clone.

My feelings for Young Link are about the same as Toon Link, sans him being a favorite Link incarnation and keeping the number of female fighters down. I liked how they gave him Fire Arrows instead of the regular arrows. So again I think he is a clone, but with subtle differences to prevent him from being a complete carbon copy.

I can say I know nothing of Marth, as I haven't played any Fire Emblem game. Ike too for that matter. Marth I think I said is either my main, or my second main I can't remember, but Marth is either my second most used Brawl character or first, it is a close tie. Marth took alot of skill in Melee, and they dumbed down that skill level in a way. Anyway Marth I think is warranted in both the Japanese version and US version of Brawl. Japan for the obvious to promote Fire Emblem, and the American version to try and branch others to the game of Fire Emblem. I think Ike's appearance in Brawl was warranted for Roy for the reason that I think Nintendo wanted more heavyweight heavy hitters. Roy really didn't fit the bill, yes he could dish out damage but he wasn't that heavy he was only midweight. Ike fit the bill better and thus was placed over Roy. Again they are clones basically, but they have subtle differences such as the style of play that people need to use to make them the best prevents them from being carbon copies. Though Roy's and Ike's B move is essentially the same.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:55 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

*logs on*

*sees two of five brawl mains already eliminated*

*cries*

well, at least i know jiggz and ice climbers will make it pretty far. dunno how you feel about ness though

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:21 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Frost used my idea :D!!!
I always thought Ike and C-Falcon were overpowered. I mean, at least Snake was slow. I've seen my fair share of kids spamming their most powerful moves. I was not surprised to see them booted early.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:08 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
What do I think of these characters in their original series?: I wouldn't know - I have never played a single Fire Emblem game, nor do I really intend on playing one anytime soon.

rage

Quote:
But they're boring

RAGE

Quote:
Plus, the blue hair and Marth looking like a chick is stupid.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Quote:
Which makes me think that Ike probably wasn't an authentic translation unless all of the Fire Emblem characters play similarly in their series.

nah, Ike's pretty authentic. he does sword-spinning **** and is all "I FITE 4 MAH FRIENDS" in both his games.

Quote:
Ike is questionable considering they dropped a popular character (Roy) to stick him in even though they're both clones of the same character (Marth).

Roy starred in one game, whereas Ike got two. also, Radiant Dawn was released a few months before Brawl so I guess they wanted to hype it up?

also
Quote:
1) I hate children

Quote:
Plus, damn, **** be an ugly old man.

huh

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

What is there to "huh" about? I do hate children and Captain Falcon IS an ugly old man. I don't think all older people are ugly... in fact, a good example of a middle-aged man who is NOT ugly would be Snake. ;o

Also Marth does look like a chick, sry2say. ;( He should take off his dainty tiara if he wants to be taken seriously.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:05 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
What is there to "huh" about? I do hate children and Captain Falcon IS an ugly old man. I don't think all older people are ugly... in fact, a good example of a middle-aged man who is NOT ugly would be Snake. ;o

eh well I thought you were saying "I hate kids... and I also hate old people". but fair do's.

Quote:
Also Marth does look like a chick, sry2say. ;( He should take off his dainty tiara if he wants to be taken seriously.

don't be hatin' just cause he's FABULOUS. :(

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

LoZ: Wind Waker is my second favorite Zelda game (Nostalgia to the Past beats it), but I do very much agree I wasn't really amused to see him in brawl. So many other deserving unique characters.

GQ pretty much covered how I feel about the Fire Emblem stuff.
I like Wario and his games a lot (primarily the Wario Land series), but it does frustrate me that they focus too much on his "humourous quirks" as of late. Yeah he picked his nose and farted in occasional art back in the old games, but it wasn't like he actually did that stuff constantly in the game... although they pretty much made him do it 24/7 in the WarioWare games. They nailed some of his classic style with his physical moves (elbow slam smash attack), but yeah I agree that his fart and bite specials are really lame. Wario has had so many other special abilities/powerups in his Land series that they could've borrowed from... instead they chose "lol toilet humour" moves. :(

I am eagerly awaiting your thoughts on Ness and Olimar. :O

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next