It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 am

Forum rules

ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA

Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
 Frost's Unova Rankings (100-91): Walk Like a Unovan 

Which top 100 is superior?
IGN's because Frost's is too gay 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Frost's because IGN's is too predictable 81%  81%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 42

Frost's Unova Rankings (100-91): Walk Like a Unovan 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i meant they would come in 1st place.... thanks goldenquagsire for clearing that :P

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:13 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm hoping for Froslass. It's Ice/Ghost! so different and awesome!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:19 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Two of my favorites, Latias and Jirachi, are still in. I'm happy.

Also, Frost, why is it that you hate shinies?

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:23 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I am glad ponyta and rapidash are still in. They are awesome and the blue flame shiny version is a nice touch.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:37 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rocky6 wrote:
I am glad ponyta and rapidash are still in. They are awesome and the blue flame shiny version is a nice touch.

Yeah, it's too bad that Rapidash's is grey, otherwise I would go shiny hunting for Ponyta.

~A haiku

I disable smilies because I do not smile.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:43 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

The only shiny I ever got was unown... Which sucks as it's so fricking useless...

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:22 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Finally back and with a new laptop. Unfortunately, it's doubtful that I'll finish in time for Black and White now unless I really work it, but there just wasn't much that I could do about my old computer suddenly being unable to receive power anymore. Regardless...

Update: "O RLY?," referring to...

100. Noctowl Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 164)
As I said in Hoothoot's entry, owls are awesome and, as the strongest existing owl Pokemon, Noctowl is too (see below). Noctowl does the design well and I like how it has a bit of depth, as it is based on the Japanese eagle owl, a messenger to the gods known for being very wise, which justifies its Psychic powers. It's also cool how Noctowl is distinguished from the other early-game birds, since it is Special-oriented and defensive, with oddball Psychic moves. Unfortunately, this means that Noctowl is really bad in GSC, but it's a bit more usable now due to the move split and new moves like Roost. Most of Noctowl's spotlight comes from the anime, in which Ash caught a pint-sized shiny Noctowl; while it was a standard balloon popper, I liked it a lot anyway because it was cute and had a cool voice. Noctowl has also appeared in Morty's team on occasion, and I like this because it's nocturnal and has eyebrows of doom and a exorcist headspin sprite. In addition to having an awesome basis, Noctowl is a great, underrated Pokemon who can be both gentle and more tough. Also:

No wai, Noctowl is awesome?! SRSLY!

99. Meowth Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 52)
I first need to discuss the anime, in which Meowth is a fascinating main character because he has more character development and personality than most of the show's humans, yet he is still a Pokemon. As we see in "Go West, Young Meowth," he learned to walk and talk to win the love of Meowzie, whose Japanese name is humorously "Madonnya," only for her to reject him as a "freak," even after he fought a Persian to protect the ungrateful brat. However, Meowth's first word, "Rocket," led him to join up with the Team. His main purpose these days is providing his continual "Boss fantasies," in which he dreams up reasons why Giovanni would reward the team for bringing him the Pokemon of the Day, which I find interesting because it shows that Meowth is still trying to win somebody's attention. It's also ironic that Meowth learned to walk and talk at the expense of learning Pay Day, his species' trademark move, when the Rockets are always shown as poor, and it's odd how anime Meowth was supposed to be an exception, yet ALL MEOWTH stand on two legs in the games.

Due to Meowth's anime longevity, I see him as one of the series' mascots and, in hindsight, he really should have been in Smash over Jigglypuff, rather than just getting some cameos. One of these, a guitar-toting trophy in Melee, was a reference to the animated song "Nyasu no Party," which was a Gamecube technical demo and one of the Japanese anime's closing theme songs. Nyasu actually has several songs, including "To*itteru Nya," "Nyasu no Uta" and "Polka o Dolka," and all are among the anime's best, despite his annoying voice. Pikachu and Meowth's literal cat-and-mouse rivalry is also interesting since they're on opposing sides in the anime and they even have opposite National Dex numbers, although episodes like "Bound for Trouble," in which the two work together, are always a treat. Still, it sucks how Meowth never got its own hold item to compete with Pikachu's Light Ball, although it does have two great abilities: one for in-game and one for battling, and both are flavor-appropriate since Meowth likes shiny, round objects and worked hard to walk on its hind legs.

With its raised paw, the coin "charm" on its forehead and its ability to learn Pay Day to win extra money for its Trainer, Meowth is an obvious reference to the Japanese beckoning cat, a symbol of good financial luck. Therefore, Meowth is a cute Pokemon that mixes one of my favorite animals, a cat, with an aspect of foreign culture, so it's definitely a winner from a design standpoint. Rumors also speculate that Meowth was based on Satoshi Tajiri's pet cat; if that's true, I find this odd because Meowth's stats are so horrible. Regardless, Meowth's vaguely Siamese appearance always reminded me of my OWN Siamese cat, and there was probably a point in time when Meowth was favorite Pokemon due to this and his Team Rocket connections. As an exclusive to Blue AND Silver, I used him a lot in the games due to Pay Day, and Meowth has a ton of adorable cards in the TCG, including Rocket Meowth, which was one of my favorites back in the day. While I don't like Meowth as much today, thanks in part to his horrible new voice actor, Meowth completely deserves to be in the top 100.

Meowth and his best English VA, Maddie Blaustein (1960-2008)

98. Manaphy Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 490)
Because it was the star of the ninth movie, Manaphy was one of the earliest Sinnoh Pokemon revealed to the public, but I no longer cared about the movies at that point, plus the plot was apparently "Max May befriends Jirachi Manaphy," so it sounds like I missed nothing. Like its debut movie, Manaphy did nothing to draw me in at first; it was DP's obvious Mew archetype, but I found its design milquetoast, its name clunky, and its type boring, since it was pure Water rather than part-Psychic like previous Mew-like Pokemon. It also sucked that Manaphy was only available after transfer from Pokemon Ranger, which is a game that I have no intention of ever playing, and that it became the first Legendary Pokemon to "breed," only to produce the pointless, useless Phione as a result. Finally, Manaphy learns Tail Glow. Based on the English name, other Pokemon like Ampharos should get the move; conversely, based on the Japanese name, "Firefly Light," Manaphy SHOULDN'T get it. This is inconsistent and annoying, particular because Manaphy doesn't even need the move.

At first, Manaphy was destined to be a midcarder. However, each time I saw its sprite, I appreciated Manaphy more and more until suddenly it made the top 100. Manaphy's best features are definitely its adorable eyes, especially with its yellow orb-like eye"lashes," and the red heart-like orb on its chest, which ties nicely with its trademark (though useless) move "Heart Swap." While Manaphy originally bored me, further research revealed that it was a sea angel, which was a fresh idea for a Water-type, and Manaphy's TCG artwork, including the "Sea's Manaphy" set, is much cuter than its sprites would imply. And with Hydration, Tail Glow and a good movepool and stat spread, Manaphy is a welcome change from generic, useless Water-types; it is cute but also powerful, since it's Uber-tier, and these Pokemon are actually my favorite kind. I like how Manaphy is associated with warm waters and Phione with cold, and how Manaphy has a special in-game egg design, which I hope we get for every Pokemon at some point. Overall, Manaphy is now a great Pokemon in my eyes.

97. Oddish Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 43)
As one of my random insignificant favorites, Oddish is extremely lovable. Although it's straightforward and more resembles a turnip than a radish (see below), I enjoy how its design is so small, cute and helpless, even lacking arms. In a rare case, I prefer Oddish over Bellsprout for being cuter, having a better family and because it's my top Cut slave since I might as well have a cute one if they need to exist still. I've also encountered shiny Oddish twice: in Hoenn's Safari Zone and DP's Route 229, although my hatred of shinies and their pointlessness meant that I fled from both. "Oops." In the games, I find it weird how Oddish is the only Pokemon to get a scientific name, "Oddium Wanderus," and kind of wish that every Pokemon had one; it's also odd how Oddish is describe in-game as completely nocturnal, yet it has an ability that doubles its speed in the sunlight. What?! Overall, Oddish is a favorite simply because it's adorable, as seen in both the TCG (although Neo Oddish is terrifying) and the anime, where it was such an ~angel~ that it even dried Mistdemon's crocodile tears. Lots of love for him.

Peachgoddess shall destroy you using Goddish.
(Special thanks goes to Rhapsody for drawing this for me.)

96. Lickitung Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 108)
Lickitung's biggest fame is from the anime's "Princess Versus Princess," in which Jessie caught one and it nearly roflstomped the Mistdemon. Unfortunately, Lickitung was VERY rarely seen afterward, only appearing intermittently until being traded for Wobbuffet in a downgrade move. Although the tongue is a bit creepy, Lickitung still has a goofy, lovable voice and design, and its betaname "Tonguetyd" is even pretty good. However, Lickitung has always sucked in battle, and oddly couldn't even learn Lick in RBY(!), so Lickilicky's introduction was definitely warranted. Lickitung works much better as a first stage, rather than a final one, although it's ZOMG INCONSISTENT because it could learn Rollout before DP. I've used Lickitung in Blue, in which it's a totally unfair trade for SLOWBRO; GS, on my Rocket team; and DP because it swarmed and I traded one to Pelli for Christmas. It also has some adorable TCG artwork and Sushi-Go-Round was easily my favorite Stadium mini-game, so it's definitely a funny, charming Pokemon overall. My only complaint is the "evolution" of Lickitung's design, as seen below:

I heart Licki, but new Lickitung is definitely inferior.

95. Gyarados Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 130)
This will sound weird, but I actually think Gyarados is cute. When I first played GS, I liked to give personalities to my Pokemon and, since I had a mono Water team, I caught and used the shiny Gyarados, named "Dumbbell," and imagined it with a goofy personality, doing silly things like chasing its own tail. These images, when paired with Gyarados' naturally vacant eyes and gaping mouth, made me love the Pokemon. It was also cool that James "owned" one, even though it turned on him and sent everybody flying into the ocean with Dragon Rage about two seconds after evolving. Similarly, Mistydemon hates Gyarados because she somehow crawled into one's mouth as a kid and it nearly ate the useless slug. So, hey, more cool points for Gyarados. As the most famous shiny, Red Gyarados starred in an anime two-parter and I don't mind it in general because there's an in-universe explanation for its coloring due to Team Rocket's evolution waves. Shiny Pokemon are still pointless and people who claimed DP's opening report was OBVIOUS HGSS EVIDENCE ZOMG!!! are still annoying, though.

Nurse Joy knows that Gyarados is a big softie too.

I've used Gyarados in every Generation and it certainly has been a rollercoaster in battle. Although its Attack was wasted, its decent Special stat and movepool meant that it was alright in RBY, but then the special split left Gyarados as surprisingly horrible, which is a startling contrast to the powerhouse in DP with Earthquake, Taunt, Intimidate and Physical STAB. Gyarados is based on a Japanese myth in which a carp's patience to swim up a waterfall is rewarded when it becomes a dragon and, yes, Gyarados should have been Water/Dragon. Just about every fan agrees, so I'm not going to expand much on it, although it is odd because Gyarados is more representative of eastern dragons than RBY's actual Dragon-type final evolution. Gyarados' original beta name was actually "Skulkraken," by the way, and I'm glad that they switched back to its Japanese name because a kraken is a friggin' giant squid. Overall, while Gyarados is usually portrayed as mean and destructive, it's an excellent design and useful fighter, although it does have horrible TCG art with only a few exceptions.

94. Slowpoke Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 79)
With a passing resemblance to a braindead hippo, Slowpoke is awesome. Two reasons are its evolutions: I love Slowpoke's connection with Shellder, who bites Slowpoke in different places to evolve him, and it's a shame that the games don't reinforce this. It was an important Pokemon in GSC, as Team Rocket were sadly cutting off their tails for profit, and I always caught one in the Well since it was great having a Psychic-type so early. Slowpoke's ".....yawn?" was a chatroom meme back in the day, and it's cute how it's a symbol for being behind the times today. Slowpoke has a cute name, which is far better than the beta "Slowmo," and a lovably goofy design, although it's not as obvious in its sprites other than, surprisingly, HGSS's. The anime and Snap are a different story, since it got all of the Pokemon drunk in "Island of the Giant Pokemon" and cutely fished with its tail in both. I'm also glad that my BFF Krisp traded me Slowpoke in DP since it wasn't in Diamond. <3 Slowpoke has some of the worst and some of the best TCG artwork*, and, as half of the site's mascot, I just gotta love him.

* - Did this look familiar...?

93. Victreebel Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 71)
Since James was my favorite character, it's no surprise that I also love Victreebel. Although James's came out of nowhere, showed up intermittently until Johto, and got lamely traded away for a Weepinbell who left in the same episode, it was funny for its high-pitched screaming and starting the running gag of James' Grass-types hurting him. As a Blue player, I used Victreebel a lot in Gen I, as double powder and Razor Leaf's ridiculous CH rate made it one of the best of its type in RBY. Unfortunately, GSC's Special split hurt Victreebel, although I still had one on my Rocket team in Silver, and then DP's movesplit ruined him FURTHER. Unlike many other Grass-types who have it tacked on, the awesomely carnivorous Victreebel's Poison-type is justified because it is based on the pitcher plant, which dissolves pray in its acid. Unfortunately, it has a pretty dumb name, since Nintendo still hasn't changed that stupid character limit, and Victreebel can't learn Power Whip despite having a giant whip-like root on its back. However, it's still an awesome Pokemon with a great design, and it definitely needs more love in the TCG.

92. Gengar Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 94)
As the only fully evolved Pokemon of its type in Gen I, Gengar had a pretty tall order to fill, but he did it well enough to remain my favorite Ghost-type all the way until DP. Gengar's design seems a little plain on first glance, but it is a note-perfect Ghost-type: creepy glowing red eyes, a design that evokes shadows, and a smile that dances between sinister and prankster. The Pokedex gives it some awesome flavor text, as its mere presence acts like a heat sink and puts fear into human hearts, and the TCG recognizes Gengar's awesomeness because, in addition to a lot of cool regular artwork, it's one of the few Pokemon to get ex, LV. X AND Prime cards. And Fossil Gengar had the attack "Dark Mind" which is cool because, y'know, darkmind. In fact, Gengar does "Ghost" so well that it sucks how it got stuck with a useless secondary Poison-type, since it doesn't evoke Poison at all. It's shame that the old rumor about Gengar becoming a Ghost/Dark-type in GSC, as Karen had one, didn't play out; it would have been way better than either Sableye OR Spiritomb in both design and battle worth.

Even though he couldn't combat Psychics, Gengar's stats and movepool make it RBY's best Poison-type and one of the very few Pokemon to achieve OU status in every Generation, so he definitely deserves respect. Although a bit fragile, it was a good Pokemon from the start but, like Gyarados, Gengar really improved by leaps and bounds in the last two games: it acquired the useful Levitate ability, Choice Specs, and more Special moves than it can fit in one moveset, including the long-awaited Special Shadow Ball. I used Gengar for the first time in 2004, when I got my first Link Cable, and again in DP, and it was definitely my favorite of the RBY trade evolutions for being unique and having three AWESOME in-game immunities. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Gengar available in DP's Old Chateau via the dongle method and, along with Nidorino, it was also the first Pokemon to appear in the anime, which is a kind of obscure factoid because the first episode started with an emulation of games' opening. Although its family had really bland beta names (Spirit, Spectre and Phantom), Gengar itself is anything but.

91. Flygon Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 330)
After Blaziken and Gardevoir, Flygon probably had the dumbest fanbase after RS's release, which is puzzling because it has Glalie's stats with slightly better Attack and Speed. Despite its idiotic fans, I love Flygon for being a true rarity: a CUTE Dragon-type final evolution. With its red goggles, angular wings and contrasting red and green color scheme, Flygon trumps both of its pre-evolution in looking cute and kickass, and I used one on my first in-game team, naming him Caligula just because I liked the name. There's also the obvious: since it's a dragonfly, it should have been a Bug/Dragon-type, especially since it's placed in the Bug egg group, but we know GameFreak hates Bug and can't make too many Dragons without a 4x Ice weakness, so instead we got the "Spirit of the Desert," a Dragon/Ground-type with Levitate. I'd much rather complain about some less apparent things, like how "Flygon" is one of the most generic names for a Pokemon EVER or how its species, the "Mystic Pokemon," makes little to no sense when paired with its dragonfly, desert-dwelling basis.

However, like Gardevoir and Gallade, Flygon's stock went up in my eyes after the introduction of the horrific Garchomp. Since Garchomp had better stats and a more GRR TOUGH ANGRY design, Flygon was discarded as kids began fapping to Garchomp instead. Thankfully, it got banned and Flygon returned to the OU spotlight; even though U-Turn was all it had over Garchomp, I much prefer seeing Flygon get attention over its lame replacement. And, despite everybody's complaints about Flygon's typing, it could certainly do WORSE than three immunities, three resistances and only two weaknesses. Flygon is also special to me because, after I got back into the TCG last year, Flygon delta ex became the first "super rare" card that I ever owned. While I generally don't care about super rares, at least my first one was a cool Pokemon, and Flygon certainly has a lot of cool TCG artwork although, like Nidoqueen, it has no fewer than FIVE types in the card game! Altogether, Flygon is a Pokemon with a lot of charm who can also kick ass, even when factoring in its funny, squeaky anime voice.

Next update: 5 Kanto, 3 Johto, 1 Hoenn and 1 Sinnoh.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Flygon is definitely worthy of being placed in the top 100 Pokemon, he's my favorite out of your 100-91 list. I agree he had some really stupid fans; actually for a while his fanbase seemed bigger/stupider than Salamence and Metagross, which is weird.

Actually I like every Pokemon on your list, I have great things to say about all of them, especially Gyarados. He was part of my original Yellow Version team (I originally had Butterfree instead but he got deleted in a link trade glitch so I traded my shiny Gyarados from silver over.) I also remember getting his original Pokemon card, I ripped my friend Trevor off by trading him the super worthless Mysterious Fossil trainercard, something I feel bad about even if it WAS 10 years ago. :p If I ever saw Trevor again, I'd give him my holographic Gyarados card whether he still played Pokemon or not. Lastly it is because of Gyarados that I bought a wonderful device called Monster Brain. Back in the days of GS, someone in home room had one and he hacked Sleep Powder on my Gyarados. I always wanted to own a Monster Brain because it lets you directly edit Pokemon attacks, but I never had any money. :( I ended up buying one on eBay in 2008 for $1.29.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'd never noticed how cute Meowth was, but just looking over all those sprites I've definately suddenly got an urge to go catch myself one and train it, its absolutely adorable in its Silver and DPP sprites, alongside the cards you posted. I've always loved slowpoke, and they've been one of my favourite pokemon in such a long time, I just think they're ridiculously cute in the way they move etc. I also used to adore Flygon for its goggles and aviator nerd appearance, and I spent a long time training one back on Emerald. I love how unconvential of a dragon it is, sort of very different to your stereotypical designs Salamence and Dragonite fit, plus I do think its cute in a sort of nerdy way.

I hadn't even noticed we'd passed the 200 mark, let alone got in to the top hundred :p

Also I love pretty much every pokemon on the top 100 list, and I think mostly these top ten are my least favourites, so it'll be nice to see what you make of these pokemon.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:16 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Frost wrote:

No wai, Noctowl is awesome?! SRSLY!

This is my brother's new profile pic on Facebook.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:19 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

if you mak 10 write ups every 2 days staring tommrow you should be done just before Black and White

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:08 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It has a double weakness to ice along with practically every other dragon pokemon so meh. But flygon>garchomp though I've never used it cos
I dislike trapinch

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:43 am
THE POWER IS ON!

That's not really true, Jaypokes. While the release date is September 18, there is enough of a time difference between us and Japan that the games actually will be release on September 17 for us, and that's not even counting early leaks, which happened for both Platinum and HGSS.

Update Title: "Yoga Shangri-La," referring to #88.

90. Weedle Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 13)
As I said in Combee's entry, I have a random appreciation for the unevolved Bug-types, likely because they get such little love. Weedle, for example, has a crappy type, horrendous movepool (although it now learns Bug Bite, so watch out!!) and horrific stats, yet I still find it lovable anyway. One reason is because it's so helpless and awful in battle, which is something that I mentioned with Oddish, and it's also cool how Weedle seems to be a nod to Super Mario World's Wiggler, an equally cute yellow caterpillar with a big honking clown nose. Although, now that I mention it, it's weird how Weedle is referred to as a worm or a caterpillar when it is clearly based on bee larvae. And it's odd how it is the "Hairy Bug" Pokemon when it has no apparent hair, but oh well. While I don't like Weedle as much as Caterpie because Ash never caught one in anime, although he did try and Weedle had a cute BIIDUUU voice, it is definitely a "better" battler since it can poison stuff with Poison Sting! Overall, Weedle is simply adorable and I freely admit that's why I love it so much. It's sad that it's so underrated! :(

<(:O)(:)(:)(:)(:)(:)>
You know you love ASCII Weedle!

89. Ninetales Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 38)
Ninetales likely has the series' most obvious basis in Japanese mythology: the ninetailed kitsune. In particular, the episode "Just Waiting on a Friend" portrays Ninetales with many of this youkai's traits, including shapeshifting, weather control and an association with a star-patterned ball. I also find it interesting that the kitsune and shishi are rivals when Ninetales' own counterpart is a shishi, although I hate how the special split left Ninetales trailing behind Arcanine by 50 base points because version-exclusives should try to be equal. And it's lame that Ninetales is a pure Fire-type, rather than a Fire/Ghost-type, because the kitsune is usually portrayed as undead or vampiritic, and with the ability to possess others. Instead, the kitsune's ghostly nature is only implied with Ninetales' movepool, which includes Grudge and Will-o-Wisp, and an appearance in Morty's TCG set. Also, people who call it "Ninetails" annoy me, including TCG GB's localization team, and that's why our forums filter it to the correct spelling.

I also like how the Pokedex gives Ninetales some legends of its own that are separate from the kitsune, such as how it is the embodiment of nine reincarnated saints, or how its tails have mystic powers, including the ability to cause thousand-year curses. In addition to it being a Blue and Silver-exclusive, I've used Ninetales many times over the years, including a female named Kendrix in RS, referring to Jimi Hendrix and Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy's Pink Ranger; a male named Del Marquis on Netbattle, referring to the Scissor Sisters' bassist; and in Blue, Silver and Diamond. Base Set Ninetales was also one of my first holo cards ever, and TCG Ninetales has both adorable and kickass artwork, appearing as Dark, Light and TWO TCG GB-exclusive varieties with ridiculous coin-flipping attacks. In addition to its interesting mythological basis, Ninetales is one of the cutest and girliest Fire-types, so it's one of my favorites even though furries clearly dig the Pokemon and it's WAY too skinny in its recent sprites.

88. Medicham Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 308)
As I said in Mismagius' entry, I spent 2007 studying religions and playing DP. Since I still try to follow the Five Precepts, Buddhism was the most interesting to me, and Medicham became a favorite for being the closest to a "Buddhist" Pokemon. Granted, it couldn't learn ZEN HEADBUTT until Platinum, but I enjoy its incorporation of yoga, which is reminiscent of Street Fighter's Dhalsim, as it effectively represents both of Medicham's types, provides another Fighting-type based around a real-world style, and makes Medicham preferable to Gen IV's Fighting/Psychic-type. While Medicham's stats look horrible and I totally misused it on my first RSbot team, naming it after Jean Grey and giving it no attacking moves, Pure Power turns the Pokemon into a wrecking ball. Since it got physical elemental punches in DP, I eagerly got a male Medicham named Samadhi and really enjoyed using him. While it looks like it's wearing MC Hammer pants, Medicham's design pack a lot of culture, especially in this Okami-like piece, and I find it a most relevant Pokemon. It needs more Psychic cards in the TCG, though.

87. Staraptor Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 398)
I am all about new Pokemon breaking the series' existing conventions. Therefore, it's logical that one of my favorite Sinnoh Pokemon is Staraptor, who is really the first to shatter the "sucky early bird" stereotype. With a great ability, spectacular Attack and Speed, and a movepool that far exceeds predecessors, including Brave Bird, U-Turn and most importantly Close Combat, Staraptor quickly usurped Dodrio as "best (Physical) Normal/Flying-type" and ran with it. I used Staraptor on my only in-game Gen IV team and I was so. freaking. happy. that it didn't suck, especially when it seemed like Luxray would be the one good early-game Pokemon. Staraptor was one of the few members of the team that I bred for competitive battles and it never disappointed me on Wi-Fi or in Battle Tower. It's also by FAR the most badass bird design, with great star patterns and color contrast, even though the in-game classification is "Brown" for some ungodly reason and I could do without the lame red emo streak in its "hair." With awesome TCG artwork and Ash's kicking ass in the anime, Staraptor is definitely a winner.

86. Muk Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 89)
Like with Gyarados, you'll probably find it odd that I think Muk is cute. This is mainly due to the anime, in which Ash's Muk appears every so often to happily smother Professor Oak or anybody else nearby. Out of all of Ash's Pokemon, I feel that Muk is the most misused, since Ash caught him with only five Pokemon on-hand, immediately sent him to Oak, and only used it to kick that one Bellsprout's ass in the Pokemon League. Such robbage! With base 100-105 in three stats, Muk is similarly screwed over in the video games due to its horrible typing. Muk would be a perfect Curser except that it can't fit all of the attacks it would need due to Poison's pisspoor offensive coverage, and as such it's fallen into disuse, which is a shame indeed. However, I still love Muk because, despite being "just a pile of sludge," it's an interesting design that's full of personality, and it has a lot of little quirks I enjoy, such as one of our mods being named after the awesome Dark Muk cards, and how Muk appears in the Power Plant and in Celadon City's pond in some meta-references to the anime. Also:

Yup, this was necessary for the 8 people out there who hadn't noticed.

85. Furret Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 162)
I LOVE Furret because it's clearly meant to be Johto's stupidly common rodent-based Normal-type, yet it only appears in only two or three places ever. With its chibi eyes and whiskers, Furret is the cutest Pokemon of its archetype by far, and I like its body because it's suited for burrowing and it's funny due to its tiny arms and legs. I do recall how TK hated Furret because it's based on an animal that eats bunnies, but Furret is so cute and happy that I can't imagine it hurting anything ever. Since it was the poster child for neglected Johto Pokemon, I used Furret a lot in GS because it evolves at an early level and it was fun finishing off Graveler with a Surfing Normal-type. Randomly, it was the first Pokemon that I bred in DP for competitive battling, but it's unfortunately pretty weak despite having a couple of decent tricks... like Trick. *wocka wocka* Furret's Frolic was also my favorite Stadium 2 mini-game, thanks to Furret's adorable chirping, and it has some of the cutest TCG artwork ever, including Aquapolis' Furret buddies. It's just a great Pokemon, and it looks WAY better with each new game:

Colors have come so far since GSC.

84. Espeon Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 196)
Like Ninetales, Espeon is another Pokemon who has a heavy basis on a Japanese youkai; in this case, it is the nekomata, a demonic cat-like monster with a forked tail, much like Espeon's. Even though it's weird how both Persian and Espeon are cat Pokemon with jewels on their foreheads, it's cool how Espeon has a clear cat basis, since Generation II needed its token cat Pokemon and also because the other Eeveelutions blur two or three different sources in their designs. However, since the nekomata is demonic, this is why I feel Umbreon and Espeon should have switched types, so the demonic Pokemon would have the Dark-type. But I like what we ended up getting, too, because Espeon and Umbreon work very well together as a yin and yang duo. Like Umbreon, Espeon also has a very good name, since it's dual-purpose and more subtle than the typical Pokemon name, as "Esp-" could refer to either extrasensory perception (ESP), which would be funny because it can't learn Extrasensory(!), or the word esper, which would be a cute nod to its type's name in the Japanese version.

As the Psychic Eeveelution, Espeon specializes in Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed, which is pretty standard for its typing. And while Synchronize is pretty lame, it has enough association with Psychic-types that I can buy it as Espeon's ability, although Umbreon is still an oddball. In battle, Espeon is essentially the median of its family: it's outclassed by better Psychics, but it's not awful because it can pass Wish and Calm Mind, and it was definitely the only reason the beginning of Colosseum was at all beatable. Speaking of awful sequels, it burns me that Espeon evolves with the "Sun Shard" in XD because it should evolve with the Sun Stone, which would actually allow us to GET ONE in FRLG. Still, I've used Espeon in every Generation so far and my DP Espeon was named... "Keven," after TonberryKing, because he's one of the smartest people I know, and because he was Sabrina, who uses Espeon, in the Psypoke Challenge. Espeon is also one of my favorite Eeveelutions because it's very cute and purple, although it looks weird in certain pictures, including GS's GIGANTIC EARS.

83. Blissey Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 242)
Long before numbers 462-478 were derided as "unnecessary," GSC provided Blissey, an evolution for an RBY Pokemon with over 700 HP and 300 Special. Granted, the special split trashed Chansey to justify Blissey's existence, but they could have just as easily lowered her Special Attack to match Blissey's and called it a day without evolving who is likely RBY's best unbanned Pokemon. Although she's more unnecessary than ANY of the Sinnoh evolutions, Blissey doesn't have the same problems as the few Sinnoh evolutions I dislike; she is adorable and happy, resembling Chansey with more frills and cool alternating white and pink patches. These frills, along with her Japanese name "Happinasu" (or Happinurse, basically) and compassionate nature, solidify Blissey as a cool nurse-based Pokemon. One of my favorite episodes, "Ignorance is Blissey," expands on Blissey the nurse with a lot of heart, as the show reveals that Jessie and a Blissey went to Pokemon nursing school together and they remain friends in the present, cutely helping each other despite their status on opposing teams.

Blissey is most famous being half of the "Skarmbliss" tandem that dominated Generations II and III. Her status as a metagame whore didn't sit well with me for awhile, but I changed my tune because I got SO tired of people bitching about how Blissey is "unfair" or "impossible to defeat." Yes, she's the top-tier Special wall and Softboiled and Heal Bell are annoying, but she is not indestructible if you're halfway decent at prediction. With her massive physical vulnerability and lack of offensive power, she's also definitely NOT something like Garchomp that any idiot can use to stumble ass-backwards into a win, and I know because I didn't even bother with Blissey until my Scissor Sisters team in RSE, preferring Miltank in GSC. Although she's useless and hard to acquire in-game, Softboiled was very useful for my DP team, and I remember Deadeyedave amusingly plotting to give six Snore Blissey to GSC's Trainer House to get easy Stat Exp. and Exp. Points. Overall, I have fond memories of Blissey across all canons and she has many adorable TCG cards, although it's weird how she gets less HP than Wailord.

82. Jigglypuff Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 39)
Jigglypuff was, at one point, the second most popular Pokemon in Japan after Pikachu, and is also considered one of the series' mascots. This is likely due to the anime, in which it was a major recurring character who was introduced in "The Song of Jigglypuff." Jigglypuff stuck around for about 250 episodes, usually performing the running gag of singing its trademark song, putting everybody to sleep, and then getting pissed off and drawing all over everybody's face. Despite being pretty one-note, Jigglypuff was still charming, especially when it smacked around that Igglybuff pair in "Same Old Song and Dance." Unfortunately, unlike Snubbull, Jigglypuff was never given any closure, since it was phased out toward the end of Johto, only to appear in ONE Hoenn episode, sing to a Whismur who fell asleep anyway despite having Soundproof, and then hop into the same black hole as the GS Ball. Jigglypuff never even got to sing its entire song without somebody staying awake, and it sucks how such an iconic character was pushed aside, but at least Pokemon Yellow and Snap have some cute allusions.

Jigglypuff's popularity also landed it in the Smash Bros. series; while I preferred Pikachu in the first game, Jigglypuff became my second main in Melee, and it sucks that it was nerfed in Brawl and got such a lame Final Smash. It's still fun charging up Rollout and KOing people who don't expect Jigglypuff to pull a u-turn, though. I should also mention that I didn't like Jigglypuff for few years because of its association with the admin Jigglypuff, as I did NOT like him for a long time, but he's cool to me now and, therefore, so is Jigglypuff. It is pretty lame that Jigglypuff sucks in the games, though, and how it has never received Huge Power like Marill or a Light Ball-esque item like Pikachu. But at least it's a really cute Pokemon, in the anime, in the games (although its DP sprite sucks and it has a o_O face in Gen I) and in the TCG, even though my favorite Jigglypuff card wasn't released here. :( However, I did a recreation of TCGGB's Jigglypuff, and Jungle and Southern Islands Jigglypuff are favorites for nostalgia value. <3 While it's not the best balloon-based Pokemon, Jigglypuff is both important and lovable.

81. Clefairy Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 35)
As I said in Pikachu's write-up, the original plan in the anime was for Ash to start with Clefairy, just like Red did in the manga, and I honestly don't think the series would have been as successful if this happened. Unlike Pikachu, who appeals more equally to both genders, Clefairy is much more slanted toward girls because it's a pink fairy, and I can't imagine it attracting typical American boys, like some of our forum members, who think that pink is "a gay color." As I like cute Pokemon above all else, I personally love Clefairy, but I recognize that my tastes rarely align with the general fandom's and definitely agree that Pikachu was the correct choice. Since they're both adorable pink fairies who appear in the same area of Kanto and have great movepools, Moon Stone evolutions and baby forms, Clefairy now has more in common with Jigglypuff than Pikachu, and I just slightly prefer Clefairy for having a body shape, rather than being a blob, and a shy and timid personality that is more lovable. One of my very favorite anime moments is Clefairy and Jigglypuff's epic Doubleslap showdown in "Clefairy Tales."

There's about to be a girl fight!

Even before we reached that point, though, Clefairy appeared in "Clefairy and the Moon Stone," which was one of the first episodes I saw, and it was adorable, especially when it used Metronome in a hypnotic fashion. I really enjoy how Clefairy comes from space and I always spent hours hunting one down in Mt. Moon because Metronome was always a fun attack to use in the game. It was also pretty awesome watching Clefairy dance around in Mt. Moon Square in the Johto-based games too. Clefairy does now trump Jigglypuff as a fighter thanks to the awesomeness of Magic Guard, and it was also the star of the adorable Clefairy Says mini-game in Pokemon Stadium; while it's not a personal favorite, it is probably my best Stadium game. Clefairy also has one of the few betanames that I like, "Aria," since it's cute even though it's a bit generic. Finally, with a ton of awesome and adorable TCG artwork, including one that I wanted badly as a kid, it's no surprise that Clefairy is one of my favorite unevolved Pokemon.

The mascot, the secondary mascot, and the mascot that never was.

Next Update: 3 Kanto, 2 Johto, 3 Hoenn, 2 Sinnoh.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:48 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Frost wrote:
82. Jigglypuff Image
^_^
Frost wrote:
I should also mention that I didn't like Jigglypuff for few years because of its association with the admin Jigglypuff, as I did NOT like him for a long time
T_T
Frost wrote:
but he's cool to me now and, therefore, so is Jigglypuff.
o/

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

if you do 11 once it should end on the 17th but it was midnight when i did that math

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:47 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

<3 {clefairy}
metronome made it one of my favorites ever and clefable was my main in Red, it had such class

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:15 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'm glad my favorite dewgong is still in the running. I can't wait to see what it got.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:47 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Mudkip still flys high! and the video link is good frost, i laughed at misty's face when the fighting started. LOL. good luck on getting the lists in befor BW come out.

Even Though Your Fire Burns
It Rains Inside Me,
My Love For You Will Never Die
Please Come And Set Me Free.

The Amber Mine wrote:
hahahaha olo XD so funnzy

I hate myself...

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Can those of you who know my tastes in Pokemon please stop spoiling it for the few who don't? Yes, I'm aware that many people know who my favorite Pokemon is already. That's no reason to ruin the thread by stating it for everyone to see. Anyway...

Update Title: "CLEFABULOUTH~!" It should be obvious to whom it refers.

80. Sealeo Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 364)
Although Sealeo is Hoenn's Xerox copy of Dewgong, I never held a grudge against it. If they had to recreate a Pokemon, picking one of my favorites is a good start, and Sealeo isn't too "abstract" or "weird" like, for example, Dustox. There ARE some dissimilarities between the two, as Sealeo is a middle evolution and, in some ways, it's a more authentic design, including its whiskers and general body shape. Since I love sea lions, it's no surprise that I used Sealeo's line when I first played RS, and I was totally alright with Sealeo because it was almost as cute as its predecessor, although I could have done without its walrus clown evolution. I enjoy Sealeo's association with balls, including how it's the "Ball Roll" Pokemon, it learns Ice Ball as its exclusive attack, and it balances Spheal on its nose like a ball, which was easily the most awesome thing in Pinball RS. It also has some pretty cute TCG art, and EX Power Keepers' Sealeo, which emulates the northern lights, is one of the best reverse holos ever. In summary, I wish all middle evolutions and Hoenn rehashes were as lovable as Sealeo.

79. Aipom Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 190)
I originally regarded Aipom as "crackmonkey," a useless entity who had a crazy face, didn't evolve and was pretty ugly in GSC. However, it's another of those slow-burners who has grown on me over time, partially because its later sprites and TCG artwork are WORLDS better than the GS ones. The anime also played a big role in making Aipom lovable, as Ash caught one toward the end of Advanced. It was really cool to see Ash own a Pokemon with a girly personality, and everything she did was awesome, including stowing away to Sinnoh WITH Ash, teaming up with Jessie in one episode and developing an interest in Contests, which paved the way for her to be traded to Dawn. And that's why it really sucks how the show had her run off to play ping pong. I used Aipom for the first time in DP and, again, it's one of those Pokemon who is so much more likable now that it can evolve. Overall, Aipom has become the series' cutest and most clever monkey-based Pokemon, since its prehensile tail works great with Ambipom's design, and it's proof that GameFreak can dust off older Pokemon for the better.

"Aipom / It seizes with its tail / Ash's heart." - translation of Professor Oak's senryu. Me too, Ash.

78. Eevee Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 133)
If there is one other Pokemon that I could see as the mascot of Pokemon instead of Pikachu, it would be Eevee. Unlike Clefairy, Eevee is cute enough to appeal to girls but not to the point that it would alienate boys, and it's also the mascot of evolution, which is one of the series' calling cards. And isn't it weird to think back to the days of Generation I, in which there were only THREE Eeveelutions and you could only get ONE per game? I am so happy that the later games allow us to get all of the Eevees and have even added new ones. However, I feel like the idea has been stretched pretty thin at this point, since all of the original evolution stones would now have a corresponding Eeveelution if GameFreak made a lick of sense, and all of the Eeveelutions cover the six stats as their best now, which another reason Glaceon feels so hamfisted. At best, I would like to see ONE more Eeveelution to finish out the Special types and to serve as the reverse Umbreon, with the three good stats in the Attacks and Speed, and then either stop with the idea or change it up drastically for the Physical types.

Eeveezord: Activated! (thanks to Serpentsounds for this)

Do you see the problem with the last paragraph? Discussion about Eevee itself is always brushed aside in favor of gushing about how it has eight zillion different evolutions, and that's actually a shame. Eevee is actually one of my top three favorite Eeveelutions. There, I said it. Eevee just works very well; it's an adorable, though fairly plain fox-like design, but its true genius is how it's malleable enough that none of its evolutions look out of place. The games provide just enough explanation for why Eevee has so many different evolutions, because it has unstable DNA, and that makes it the best of the Pokemon with the branched evolutions. When I had a team of Eeveelutions named after Psypoke's admins in DP, you bet that I had Eevee along as well, and I named mine after Amphy because they're both a bit on the short side (sorry Amphy!). In the anime, "The Battling Eevee Brothers" is one of my favorite episodes because Eevee saved the day when its evolution had failed and later May hatched an adorable Eevee of her own. I forgot to mention that it learned Ice Beam, which was a nice explanation for why it became Glaceon. It also has so many adorable cards that I can't begin to post links to them all. So with lovable eyes, a small stature, and more potential than any other Pokemon, how can one possibly hate little Eevee?

77. Bulbasaur Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 1)
For many years, I considered Bulbasaur to be my favorite of the Kanto Starters, although I now have reverted back to Charmander. One reason is because I liked Ash's Bulbasaur the most of his Starters; it was given the most consistent personality, being portrayed as the stubborn protector and mediator, and it chose not to evolve and therefore become a huge asshole like Charmander. It was pretty weird how Bulbasaur stuck around long after Ash picked up Chikorita, and he did receive a pretty decent writeoff, unlike how Charizard and Squirtle just went "Oh, we feel like leaving to go train now. BYE." I also thought Ash's Bulbasaur was a girl because of his reaction to Heracross sucking at his bulb, but eventually May also got her own Bulbasaur, which had people raging about how May was such an "Ash ripoff," and it was pretty clear that Ash's was male. I liked May's Bulbasaur too because she was pretty cute and timid, plus she had little heart-shaped spots on her face. Unfortunately, she got dumped off unceremoniously after the Hoenn League in favor of Squirtle. Lame.

Okay, so something DOES trump Corphish and Kingler's epic team-up.

I had always heard that Bulbasaur was the "best" choice in RBY, and it turned out to be true, since Grass does roflstomp the Kanto Gyms. But I mostly played Yellow as a kid, and Bulbasaur was a total bitch to acquire in that game because it was dependent on Pikachu's happiness. I could NEVER figure out how to get it but, once I did, I always kept it as a Bulbasaur because emulating Ash's team in Yellow is what all the cool kids did. Like the other Kanto starters, Bulbasaur is reptilian in basis and relies on an aspect of its design to survive; in this case, it creates energy from the bulb on its back. It's also a pretty cute Pokemon, especially in the TCG or when it hops around for apples in Pokemon Snap (Dittosaur also deserves a mention here), and I even find Tomokazu Komiya's ugly "I REGRET THE SUN" Bulbasaur to be unintentionally hilarious. It IS kind of weird how it's the only dual-type Starter, especially because nothing about it screams "Poison" to me, but Bulbasaur is still an undeniably classic Pokemon, and it was totally robbed of an appearance in Red's team in Brawl. KNOW THAT(TM)!

76. Donphan Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 232)
Donphan was the third Johto Pokemon revealed, appearing most notably in the first movie, but I was pretty apathetic about it, and it didn't help that it was absent from both JP Silver and US Gold because it got switched during localization. After finally getting to use Donphan, I thought it was pretty cool in battle and for evolving early. I bred competitive Donphan for both myself and Krisp, and mine worked well in Battle Tower with the elemental fangs, even though it finally got edged out of OU in DP. Battle power alone does nothing for me unless the design backs it up and, as the only elephant-based Pokemon, Donphan does the job well. It's cool how it could learn Water Gun via breeding in GSC and that it looks like a giant tire when it uses its trademark move Rollout, especially in Rampage Rollout, although I do wish it had floppier ears and a bigger trunk to look more authentic. I also enjoyed Ash getting Donphan during the Battle Frontier because it was something fresh for his team, and it definitely looks awesome in the TCG too. Despite my early apathy, it has become one of my favorites over the years.

75. Roselia Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 315)
When I first played RS, I didn't like many of the new Pokemon, but Roselia was an immediate exception that I loved at first sight. I've already explained that I like when Grass-types are based on flowers, and Roselia seems to be an anthropomorphic rose bush, with rose hands, a thorny head and a leafy body, which is very cool. I do find its typing a bit odd, though; how does it make sense for a rose-based Pokemon to be part Poison, like, at all? And when it isn't locked into its sprites' same old smug "I'm better than you" face, Roselia is actually a very cute, lovable (and tiny!) Pokemon. It also had an adorable anime voice despite its appearances not being very interesting. Like many cool, fabulouth Pokemon, Roselia was unfortunately pretty sucky in battle during Gen III, but DP gave it a new evolution and that whole "it works better as a basic form than a final one" concept applies here as well. Although I do wonder why it's the only Pokemon so far who has received two new family members in the same game, it's retroactively become Hoenn's Togetic, and that makes it even more awesome.

74. Lucario Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 448)
Do you want to know why I have such disdain for the kneejerk reactions to the Gen V Pokemon? Well, five years ago, Lucario, as the star of the eighth movie, was the second Pokemon revealed from DP. My reaction? "That thing is an ugly Raikou/Suicune ripoff! It's so ugly! Nintendo is running out of ideas! BAWWWWWW!!" Of course, that snap judgment was dumb because I soon realized that Lucario was based on the anubis and, since Power Rangers S.P.D. was airing at the time and Doggie Cruger is awesome, I suddenly gained a lot of respect for Lucario. As we got more and more information about him, I was just itching to use one. It had a cool, unique typing. It was NOT a Legendary even though it was the star of a movie. And said movie is said to be Pokemon's best ever, even though I've never seen it because I had stopped caring about them by that point. Of course, not everything was perfect, since we found out Lucario's English name and dumbasses cried about how "Rukario was so much better!!!" even though the names are said exactly alike. God, this fandom is stupid sometimes.

I went on the Iron Island sidequest as soon as I could and, although annoyed Riolu could only evolve in the day, I got my Lucario and she was definitely the MVP of my in-game team. I immediately IV bred her after finishing the game and she tore up opponents in the Battle Tower, and I was even using a Special set, when Lucario's best sets are Physical or mixed, just because I loved Aura Sphere. Later, when I accidentally deleted my good Lucario, Krisp came to my rescue and hacked me a replacement, and it's been one of my favorites ever since. I hate the backlash against Lucario for being "overrated"; granted, they pimped him hard, and it was lame that it replaced Mewtwo in Brawl instead of having both, but Lucario has a cool, Egyptian mythological design that doesn't have any of the HRR GRR ANGRY stupidity of other "OMG COOL" Pokemon. While I do wish it had a distinct fighting style, Aura Sphere has enough in common with Hadouken to amuse me, and it's one of the best Steel-types because IT ISN'T BORING. Lucario's only drawback is its popularity with the furries, but I can overlook that.

73. Clefable Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 36)
In the chats, we call this Pokemon "Clefabulous" because it's probably the most stereotypically "gay" Pokemon ever created. It's a big pink fairy, complete with wings; its Japanese name is "Pixie"; and Kirke had one as his avatar at one point. Since I'm gay myself, I find Clefable pretty funny and lovable and I appreciate its timid and reclusive personality. And thanks to its Magic Guard ability, which makes it SO much more usable and versatile, Clefable is the best type of Pokemon: adorable, but also able to put up a fight. Although it evaded me in the TCG as a kid (*tears*) and I do wish I had a Clefable ex these days, all of Clefable's cards are very cute, which is a rare feat. And, while it hasn't had much anime screentime, it has had some adorable cameos in the Mt. Moon episodes. It's also kind of funny that the Missingno. glitch made Level 255 Clefable appear in Deadeyedave's game, inspiring his Clefable hatred. (Sorry Dave.) And I must say that Clefable was one of DP's worst sprites, thanks to its :| face, but thankfully they fixed that in later games and it doesn't hinder Clefable's quota of ~fabulouth~.

72. Grumpig Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 326)
Grumpig is a lot like Delcatty and Cacturne in that its pre-evolution is one of my very favorite Hoenn Pokemon and, as a result, it has given me an appreciation for Grumpig as well. And, like Camerupt, Grumpig is one of those Pokemon where everything about it just seems to click. Grumpig is obviously a swine-based Pokemon, but it also extensively incorporates pearls that amplify its psychic powers. A Psychic-type pig-based Pokemon with pearls works extremely well because pigs are known as intelligent animals and we also have the phrase "pearl of wisdom." It's also good that Grumpig is very distinct from the previous swine-based Pokemon, namely the Mankey and Swinub lines, because it avoids drawing any criticism as a "Hoenn replacement." It has a very stylish black and purple design, although its English name is weird because Grumpig rarely looks angry, instead looking more on the cute and happy side. I used Grumpig on my first Sapphire playthrough, despite also having Gardevoir, and it always has been a pretty decent UU Special sponge, so it's nice having a favorite who isn't useless.

71. Empoleon Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 395)
People usually like their first Starter from a new game the most; starters in other files come and go, but they'll never erase a player's "first." Because I started with Piplup, I have a lot of these feelings for Empoleon. Even after using both Torterra and Infernape, Empoleon is still the Sinnoh Starter to me because it was one of the most useful Pokemon in my first and only run-through of DP and it was great in the Battle Tower even after I bred her for better IVs. Empoleon is also an awesome Pokemon to me because penguins are my favorite animals and Empoleon's design is just amazing. It doesn't look like a pissed off owl, unlike Prinplup, and its design has the touch of class that its emperor penguin and Napoleon-inspired English name evokes. The tuxedo-like design, sharpened flippers and trident beak also nicely display both of Empoleon's typings, which is always a nice bonus. Empoleon has several awesome TCG cards, including this LV. X that I own. Unfortunately, on the anime front, since Dawn's Piplup never evolved, it had to be represented on the team of... Rivalspazz. Gag.

Shouldn't concentrated failure and concentrated awesome in such close proximity cause a black hole?

I am SO sick of people saying Empoleon should have been Water/Ice for several reasons. First of all, not every type of penguin lives in icy climates. Second of all, Water/Ice is such a boring, overused and, frankly, shitty type combo. Third of all, Water/Steel is an awesome typing for its tons of resistances, weaknesses to Ground and Fighting be damned. Admittedly, this is my only complaint about Empoleon's typing, since it's really lame how both Torterra and Infernape have secondary types that beat Empoleon's. It does have magnificent Special stats and a great movepool, true, but I sincerely doubt it would be an OU Pokemon if it didn't have its typing, so people really need to lay off. After Charizard got swarmed with idiots, Sceptile got bitchsmacked from DP's movesplit and Meganium was never good in the first place, it's awesome to have a magnificent battler as "my" Sinnoh Starter. Empoleon is one of my favorite starters of all the times (--Santino Marella), and it has never let me down in any of the series' canons (except Rivalspazz owning one, but I can forgive one minor guffaw like that).

Next update: 6 Kanto, 1 Johto, 2 Hoenn, 1 Sinnoh.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:07 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Honestly, I fell in love with Lucario when I first saw him. My original thoughts were "wow...I really hope there are other awesome looking generation 4 Pokemon, this Rukario thing is so cool looking!" Fortunately there were many cool Pokemon in Sinnoh, but sadly Lucario really was the top of the mountain. On the bright side though, we have puppy {riolu}, my second favorite Sinnoh Pokemon! I just want to squeeze the life out of that kawaiiiiiii puppy dog! so cute ^_^_^_^ :3

I'm disappointed that Zoroark isn't as cool as Lucario, but I'm liking the pre-release BW Pokemon besides him more than I did the DP ones.

Also, besides Empoleon being a penguin, why would he be part ice? I never understood this "mistake" people keep bringing up. He has ALWAYS looked part steel to me. The edges around his wings, his face... I always thought steel was a more fitting type than ice. Like Frost said, water/ice is overdone and steel is a way better type defensively, especially for a somewhat defensive Pokemon.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

im supprised you didnt mention that evee was a mascot for XD and the other one (cant think of the name off the top of my head)

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:59 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I like how you keep mentioning what the real-life basis for some of these are; some of them i had the wrong idea, or it just never occurred to me (kangaskhan being a kangaroo somehow never clicked). the whole my starter thing also made sense; everyone loves their first. hell, even after i used infernape, i still thought it sucked; but torterra can't go wrong. Blastoise, Feraligatr, Sceptile, and Torterra.... i really need to use a fire-type, lol.

also, the Lucario movie was really good. it was kinda emotional, and had cool background basis and stuff.
EDIT: also, out of curiosity, where would MissingNo. end up?? i know it's technically not a pokemon, but...

Last edited by rex09 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:36 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

aww, I love medicham. Also, I never understood why people thought Empoleon would be Water/Ice either. I can see Prinplup being that, but Empoleon just looks to shiny and has too much class for such a boring typing. Water/Steel is much more obvious. You are so right about how one always stays true to their first starter. Mine were {blastoise} {feraligatr} {swampert} and {empoleon}. Lol. I love water type starters, I despise all fire type starters. the grass starters are tolerable to me, though :D

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:03 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

my first ever was {charizard} named fireball and i always have it with me

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:58 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

This is the greatest forum thread ever!!! I actually read from the start until #250, which took about 3 hours if I might add. When I finally catch up I'll point out my disagreements because most of the ones that I have are in the 300's or lower.

current party in HG:
{typhlosion} {quagsire} {crobat} {tyranitar} {honchkrow} {gyarados}
If you want to find me outside of Psypoke, you can find me on the pokemon lab server, look for steamroll. They will also be updating to the Gen V metagame soon so that will be worth checking out, too.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next