It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 am

Forum rules

ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA

Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Frost's Unova Rankings (100-91): Walk Like a Unovan 

Which top 100 is superior?
IGN's because Frost's is too gay 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Frost's because IGN's is too predictable 81%  81%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 42

Frost's Unova Rankings (100-91): Walk Like a Unovan 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Magus wrote:
The Amber Mine wrote:
@ Magus:
can you get a link to that photo?

WARNING: Blood, gore, violence, slight nudity.
http://rule34-images.paheal.net/a8866d6 ... smine.jpeg

Curse you! You have ruined Houndoom for me!

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:34 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I wouldn't say "ruined" I would say "scared ****less by being in the same room as one". :p

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:06 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Magus wrote:
I wouldn't say "ruined" I would say "scared ****less by being in the same room as one". :p
I would say ruined because that's a picture of Houndoom eating my Favourite Character.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:10 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

This update is a little bit late but since I gave three updates over the weekend... deal. :P Also, I added a link to a video in Wooper's entry and a mention in Rhydon's about how it might be the first Pokemon ever created.

Update Title: "Fabulouth~!," referring to #127.

130. Ledyba Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 165)
Because of its inclusion in the second mini-movie and the Southern Islands set, Ledyba was one of the first Johto Pokemon revealed to the public. Like many Pokemon revealed early to promote a new game, I don't know WHY they chose an unimpressive Pokemon like Ledyba to generate interest. In the games, I was a nocturnal Silver player, so I preferred Spinarak, but ladybugs are some of the world's only cute bugs and I'm glad we have some Pokemon based on them. Unfortunately, Ledyba's Bug/Flying-type and stats are horrendous, and its Attack is particularly bad, meaning that all of Ledyba's cool little boxing glove hands are a waste. In Gen III, GameFreak addressed Ledyba's suckage by giving it... a really useless ability. Seriously, HOW MANY BUG-TYPE MOVES DO YOU SEE HERE? Even Ledyba has to cry at its suckage... or maybe that was just because Tomokazu drew him there, idk. However, despite all of this, Ledyba is an extremely cute and lovable Pokemon due to its timid, adorkable design and persona. I really wish I could give one a hug, even with its slightly derpy DP sprite.

129. Articuno Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 144)
Since Ice is my favorite type, it should be no surprise that my favorite Legendary Bird is Articuno, and it's thankfully a more interesting Ice-type Legendary than that generic chunk of ice known as Regice. Unfortunately, like Regice, Articuno tries to be a defensive Ice-type and that's an inherent oxymoron, especially in today's metagame where Shit Rock wrecks anything with a 4x weakness to Rock like the awful Ice/Flying-type. While Articuno has always been the least useful Legendary Bird and its design doesn't reflect "ice" as blatantly as Zapdos and Moltres embody lightning and fire, it's still my favorite design of the three, since it's blue, pretty and majestic, as many icy caves are portrayed in the media, even though Articuno itself doesn't have icicles hanging off its wings or something obvious like that. I also like Articuno's backstory, in which it appears to people lost in the mountains to help them survive, which is a nice touch. Articuno is also another one of those Pokemon whose sprites have only gotten better over time. I mean, seriously now:

Articuno was definitely the most annoying Bird to reach thanks to the Seafoam Islands' current puzzle and, since Gen III, it's also the only Pokemon except Smeargle who can learn Mind Reader or Lock-On along with a OHKO move, in this case a unique Mind Reader/Sheer Cold combo with which idiots love to annoy veterans. As the LAST Kanto Pokemon to appear in the anime or a movie, Articuno's main screentime came from a Johto two-parter in which Todd wanted to get its picture... which is kind, you know, weird since Todd was the star of Pokemon Snap, the game in which you can randomly HATCH an Articuno to photograph. Articuno also has some great artwork in the TCG, although that doesn't mean it was cool when Krisp got four or five copies of Fossil Articuno, as we can see here. Articuno is a great Legendary to represent my favorite type, and we close out my favorite Legendary Trio with its elimination. Overall, the Birds have the best synergy as a trio, including in design, typing, stat alignment and English names, which are MUCH better names than Japan's Freezer, Thunder and Fire.

128. Riolu Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 447)
Why is Riolu my favorite Baby Pokemon? Because there's almost nothing to remind me that it is one. Like Togepi, Riolu was introduced WITH its evolution, so it's easy to see it as a regular first stage, although it can't breed. Unlike other babies, it doesn't have a horrible movepool or stat spread and, unlike Togepi, it isn't a demonic bratling who LOOKS like a Baby. As a jackal puppy, Riolu is both cute and kickass, and the one that Riley gave me in Diamond was on my in-game team. A bit later, I had bred for a competitive Riolu and accidentally released him, so Krisp saved the day and used her evil Gameshark to hack me a replica. This incident is one reason why I roll my eyes when people whine about how Gameshark is "cheating," and I even made Riolu my forum avatar at the start of 2008 as a result. Riolu is also special because it's the only unevolved Pokemon to learn Aura Sphere, but I can't pretend that I care about the Ranger games that gave it the move, so whatever. Overall, Riolu is by far the coolest Baby Pokemon and has an awesome evolution, so I really love it.

127. Sunflora Image {thunflora}
(Generation: II; National Dex: 192)
When GS came out in Japan, Sunflora became my most hated Pokemon up to that point. Besides evolving from the Pokemon with the worst stats ever, Sunflora's own stats and movepool were sucky, and its early sprites were absolutely fat and horrible. My and my friend thought it was so lame that we said it was "GLAK - Gay Like a Kimawari," which was later amended to "GLAS - Gay Like a Sunflora" when its English name was revealed. My opinion of Sunflora went up slightly after I got this really cute card in a Neo Genesis booster pack, and again when Meowth donned a ridiculous Sunflora disguise in the anime. My opinion improved a bit more because, like Houndoom, Sunflora's sprites got better in coloring, scale and cuteness with each Generation. Over the years, my stance on Sunflora has softened to genuine like, which peaked as love when I stopped taking Sunflora so seriously and created the thuper fabulouth THUNFLORA~! While it's not a powerhouse in battle nor as adorable as fellow Sun Stoner Bellossom, Sunflora is an underappreciated, adorable and funny Pokemon who gets bonus points for being a Grass-type modeled after a flower. However, there is one other Pokemon still to come for whom I've had an even bigger 180 in opinion.

126. Venonat Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 48)
Like many Pokemon, I first thought Venonat was cool when I saw it in the anime. Both Koga and Aya had a Venonat, and I thought it was a funny little puffball with a cute robotic voice that tied nicely with its radar eyes. Although its name implies that it's a gnat, I'm not really sure if it's supposed to be one, since its Japanese name isn't bug-specific and it looks like a generic ball of fur. Tracey later got a Venonat too, and that one used its radar vision to hunt things down, so at least it wasn't useless. However, I really started to like Venonat when my friend drew it as a recurring character in her comics, since Venonat is an easily Pokemon to draw, and I decided to catch and use one as a result in GS. Getting into the TCG also reminded me of Venonat's cuteness, and I think Sabrina's Venonat's eye lazurs are pretty funny as well. Overall, Venonat is one of those low-key Pokemon that I randomly love, and nothing more or less. Also, if people still doubt the legitimacy of the Venomoth/Butterfree conspiracy, I'd like to point out Venonat and Butterfree's original Red and Green sprites. I mean, come on:

Image -> Image

125. Seviper Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 336)
Since they're both Poison-type snakes, Seviper is the "Hoenn Arbok," except I think he looks way cooler and more vicious with his giant fangs, bladed tail and awesome black and purple patterns. Also, after Jessie's Arbok evolved into Seviper, it went on to become the series' fourth-longest lasting Pokemon, being captured in a hilarious fight scene with Jessie. Seviper is greatly defined from its rivalry with Zangoose and, as I've said before, I really dislike the imbalance of their rivalry. Even though the general public would agree that "mongooses defeat snakes," it sucks to have a "rivalry" in which Zangoose is immune to Poison, Crush Claw is a better trademark move than Poison Tail, and Zangoose has a WAY more usable stat spread than Seviper. I used Seviper in both its exclusive game (Sapphire) and Diamond, and I wish so much that it had better Speed to utilize its high Attack stats and decent movepool. But I do find it funny how sworn enemies Zangoose and Seviper can breed, and Seviper has some pretty badass artwork in the TCG, so it's definitely one of my favorite Hoenn Pokemon.

124. Magmar Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 126)
Since I was a Blue player, I always just accepted that I liked Magmar more than Electabuzz until I actually did these rankings and realized that it wasn't true. However, as one-third of the rumored original RBY Legendary Trio, Magmar's humanoid/fire booby hybrid design has always looked cool to me, and I've always enjoyed how Magmar had a more versatile movepool than a typical Fire-type. When I first played through Japanese Silver, I was surprised that Magmar could be found early in Burned Tower, and it became one of my highest-leveled in-game Pokemon, ripping apart opponents and reaching well over Level 70. Blaine's Magmar in the anime was also an awesome badass, completely shutting down Ash until Charizard decided to fight only because he viewed Magmar as a worthy opponent. However, Magmar was a giant asshole in Pokemon Snap since he sets Charmander on fire over something as minor as an apple. Jerk. ;( While I hated that Magmar wasn't present in Yellow and moved to the VERY END of Crystal, I was actually okay with Magmar evolving because it's always been worse than Electabuzz in battle. However, I still prefer Magmar MUCH more than Magmortar because it's such an awesome Pokemon in general.

Fun fact: Magmar was one of the few Kanto Pokemon who appeared twice within the TCG's Base, Jungle and Fossil sets. I always preferred Fossil's Magmar.

123. Cubone Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 104)
As an anime starter, my first exposure to Cubone was Giselle's in "The School of Hard Knocks." I thought his little "Cubone-BONE!" voice was cute, along with how he cried pitifully after a fluke loss against God Ash's Pikachu. Cubone does have a rather grim backstory, however, as the Pokedex implies that Cubone wears the skull of its mother, who dies after birth, lending merit to Cubone's beta name "Orphon." Due to the skull, we've never really seen what Cubone looks like underneath, although some have theorized that, like Venomoth/Butterfree, Cubone originally was intended to be baby Kangaskhan but it was changed later. I find this interesting because they do have similar appearances and it explains why Rooskhan never has become a separate Pokemon. However, Cubone does bring us some cuter, more lighthearted moments: take, for example, Aquapolis's Cubone juggler, or this little guy from a DP set. Unfortunately, one Cubone was not so lucky, and dropped dead after Tomofailzu Komiya drew it. With two trademark moves and a unique item that doubles its Attack, Cubone is even a decent battler for a first stage. Overall, I love Cubone for its mystery and cuteness.

122. Sandslash Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 28)
Since I was a Blue and Silver player, it's no surprise that I have a lot of love for Sandslash. Hell, one of my earliest Internet usernames included Sandslash, but I'll touch more on this story in a later entry. Regardless, I've used Sandslash in every Generation due to its availability, including once going halfway through Yellow with nothing but a Sandslash. In Gen I, it was a pretty decent pure Ground-type, but it's been lost in the shuffle afterward and that's a shame because it's the closest we have to a porcupine-based Pokemon so far. And, like many Pokemon who had their beta names changed, I think Sandslash is a WAY better name than its original, and infinitely more boring, English name: "Sandstorm." Boo @ that. Like Golduck, I love Sandslash for two reasons: one because it's a nostalgic Pokemon in my heart, and two because it's the type of awesome Pokemon who can pull off both cuteness and coolness. For example, its excitement over Pokemon food in Snap was cute, while its giant claws and spines can also make it intimidating. It's a great Pokemon.

121. Hitmonlee Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 106)
Hitmonlee always has been my favorite Hitmonster. I mean, when I pretended to be a Power Ranger as a child, I always preferred kicking over punching and, in the anime, Team Rocket entered a fighting tournament and made it to the finals with Hitmonlee, while Hitmonchan was eliminated early on. These factors, along with a cooler design, gave Hitmonlee a personal connection and reason to pick it over Hitmonchan in Blue. Along with his family members, I like that Hitmonlee represents a specific fighting style, in this case kickboxing, and his stretchy limbs work well for such an idea. Hitmonlee's design is also interesting due to his similarities with the blemmyes creature, giving him a real-world link that his counterparts lack. In battle, I've always thought Hitmonlee was the most useful of the three because of his superior Attack and Speed, and he's become a true bro since I've used him in Blue, LeafGreen, Diamond AND various Netbattle teams, although I do wonder why the Hitmonsters are male-only species while Machamp's line isn't. But, hey, he can use Lightning Legs like Chun-Li, so who cares?

TWO. MORE. UPDATES. Highlight to view spoiler.
-A bunch of fan favorite Pokemon meet their demise.
-Six version-exclusive Pokemon altogether.
-The best Rotom or the best Castform. Which one goes?
-The first type is completely eliminated from the list.
-Also: a random, UTR Pokemon that Ash owns in the anime!

1 Kanto, 5 Johto, 3 Hoenn, 1 Sinnoh.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:24 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

{cubone} Cubone is also one of my favorite Pokemon for its adorable personality and simple, yet, creative design. My love for this thing went up many levels after I found out about that Cubone/Kangaskhan theory. Both these pictures also reflect it, first one in a very clear way. To be honest with you, I just love that its backstory and pokedex entries are so full of sadness; that's what makes cute little Cubone so unique and appealing. Also, obvious bonus points for the wreck that is Missingno being involved. <3

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:56 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Oh yeeeeeeahhh I remember that Articuno card. Damn thing, it made me pretty sad when 7/10 rare cards I got in those fossil boosters were Articuno or Zapdos. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was the legendary bird I DIDN'T have, like Moltres. :(

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ha, Yellow was the first game I saw an Articuno in. I couldn't find its face.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:55 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Found this and thought it might relate:
(lol and yes I know this is total bull ****)

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:13 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

You should have censored /b/, not "fucking."

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

i am 12 and what is YTMND?

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Didn't think I'd be able to do this update because my laptop was on its last legs yesterday. Still I continue on.

Update Title: "IT'S A TRAP!," referring to #119.

120. Mantine Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 226)
Since Water used to be my favorite type, Steel always has bored me, and I used Mantine, embarrassingly named "Mandi," in English Gold but not Skarmory in Japanese Silver, Mantine is another "other Pokemon" that I prefer. While there's been tons of jokes about how Mantine killed Steve Irwin since 2006, a manta Pokemon is cool and Mantine has a cute :3 face, although its Flying-type is random and it has one of the worst color classifications EVER. Seriously, PURPLE??? Because species interaction is surprisingly uncommon, I really enjoy Mantine and Remoraid's symbiotic relationship, even though it causes some pretty weird scaling issues, as seen below. And it's pretty weird how Remoraid disappeared from Mantine's Gen IV sprites... I guess Mantyke ate it before evolving. As "the Special Skarmory," Mantine never has received the same recognition due to its 4x Electric weakness, but it DOES HAVE the dual Flying-typing with the fewest Special weaknesses and, ironically, Lightning is its delta type. Overall, despite its lackluster battle abilities, Mantine has a great basis and design.

119. Gardevoir Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 282)
When RS came out, it was pretty obvious that Gardevoir was the "female Hoenn Alakazam," but I instantly preferred her. I've always loved the girly Pokemon, and Psychic was also one of my favorite types back then due to Psypoke, so Gardevoir was basically a ball of awesome, especially after Ralts and Kirlia were so damn weak in battle. I had Gardevoir on many of my early Gen III teams, naming her "Insanito" in the English versions because this was back when I was clueless about Japanese pronunciation and thought "Saanaito" was like "sanity" with an -o, rather than "Sirnight." Gardevoir had a great movepool, stats and abilities, so I also used her on my Gen III standard team as Ana Matronic. I even like her association with Wally since he's one of the few Pokemon characters with a decent storyline and it fits with Gardevoir's flavor text about guarding her trainer with her life. However, I used to hate Gardevoir's English name since I was all, "She doesn't guard reservoirs!," but I got over it. So Gardevoir was easily one of my favorite Hoenn Pokemon... until the fandom entered the picture.

Gardevoir's has one of Pokemon's most annoying fanbases, including a pack of (former) idiots from her who were named after her, including vanilla, 1313 and ~, who evolved into Rhapsody. <3 Far worse were the Gardestans who ran around declaring how Gardevoir was so hot and beautiful and how they wished she could have their babies, etc., etc., etc. While it's always bugged me that these idiots are tagged as "furries" (protip: Gardevoir has no fur and isn't remotely animal-like, get your facts straight), it's pathetic how many people want want to fuck some anorexic Pokemon who breeds with slugs and dead entities and has a 60's flipwig and a waist that would collapse from to a gentle breeze. My opinion of Gardevoir went down for years, but she rebounded after the hideous Gallade came along to make Gardevoir look SO MUCH BETTER in comparison. Like many Hoenn Pokemon, Gardevoir looks awesome in her DP sprite and cute in the TCG, including this card that used to be in our forum banner. She was also a main Pokemon in one of the anime's best episodes, "Do I Hear a Ralts?" and, as the comic above illustrates, male Gardevoir are hilarious traps. So, basically, as long as I ignore her stupid fanbase, I do think Gardevoir is pretty awesome.

118. Umbreon Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 197)
Even though I generally hate Pokemon from its type, I really love Umbreon, who is by far the cutest Dark-type Pokemon and my favorite of them all. Umbreon benefits from being an Eeveelution since it can't look too OMG EVIL AND SCARY, and it's one of those awesome Pokemon who pulls off both cuteness and coolness. For example, Neo Discovery's Umbreon card was even cuter than the matching Espeon and Eevee, which is surprising for a Dark-type, while other TCG artwork portrays the Pokemon as a fighter. Umbreon's design is greatly effective: primarily black to support its typing, but with glowing red eyes and yellow moon-like patterns that reference its method of evolution, as this picture expertly demonstrates. I also really appreciate Umbreon's name because "umbra," which is Latin for "shadow," has a far more subtle origin than the typical syllable in an English Pokemon name. I also really like Espeon and Umbreon as a duo because they effectively portray a yin/yang relationship. However, Umbreon is a bit overrated, probably because people love Dark-types so much.

I mean, Umbreon is said to be this awesome tank, but its offensive stats are so bad and now its defensive stats aren't even that spectacular because everything in DP is on steroids. And, of course, there are the idiots who claim Umbreon is an excellent Toxitrapper/annoyer as if this isn't an oxymoron. Blah. It's a bit lame that the "Evil" Eeveelution is completely defensive, since that's a contradiction in itself, and I really think that Espeon and Umbreon should have switched types for reasons I'll explain in Espeon's entry. Furthermore, I don't like how Synchronize breaks the theme of the Eeveelutions having type-specific abilities, and it sucks that Eevee couldn't evolve into Umbreon using the Moon Stone because Gamefreak has a hard-on for "consistency," even though the shitty spinoff XD lets it evolve via the "Moon Shard." /rolleyes However, all of this doesn't make Umbreon a less cool design, nor does it undo the times I used Umbreon in GSC, FRLG or DPP. In fact, I had an Umbreon named after FireStarter in my Gen IV team of Eeveelutions who were named after the Psypoke admins.

Unfortunately, while Umbreon is awesome, its elimination still means that Dark is the first type to be completely WIPED OUT.

117. Spinarak Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 167)
I hate having bugs in my room. However, since they eat OTHER bugs, I'm generally okay with spiders, as long as they don't touch me, and so I'm glad we have Spinarak. Granted, it's technically NOT a spider since it has only six legs while true arachnids have eight, but Spinarak is obviously inspired* from the Hawaiian happy face spider, theridion grallator, so I'll give it a pass. While its fake face is usually sad, Spinarak itself is actually a cute, lovable little guy who is much more akin to the eponymous character of Charlotte's Web than some creepy death spider. It's a shame Spinarak is forgettable, since it was adorable in the TCG and anime, where it had a Venonat-like cutesy robovoice and awesomely terrified the Mistdemon. As a nocturnal Silver player, Spinarak was pretty much right up my alley, and I used it on my very FIRST in-game GS team... although it was randomly purple at the time. Derp. It also gets a trademark move, Spider Web, but that's sadly the extent of its battle notability. Regardless, I love Spinarak for breaking stereotypes and being a CUTE spider with interesting colors and patterns.

* - An interesting tidbit from Bulbapedia: apparently Spinarak was the winning entry of an American fan design contest. This really surprises me since Spinarak is not at all a generic ZOMG COOL GRR TOUGH Pokemon.

116. Ledian Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 166)
Even though it's one of those "other version" Pokemon, Ledian is way cooler than the comparatively boring and less cute Ariados. It has a really cool hybrid design that mixes a ladybug with an alien, and the latter ties nicely to Ledian's flavor text, which states that it receives power from starlight. I've never cared much for the idea of a "Space"-type, but if such a type were to be invented, I wouldn't mind Ledian becoming a Bug/Space-type because it's suitable and Ledian is one of the worst fully evolved Pokemon ever. Apparently the starlight doesn't provide much power, because it has six boxing glove arms but a horrible Attack stat; in fact, all of Ledian's stats are miserable, except for its randomly high Special Defense, which doesn't help much due to Ledian's horrific Bug/Flying-type and non-existent movepool. Ouch. However, with its glimmering eyes and otherworldly design, Ledian is a Pokemon who can look both cute and cool, particularly in the TCG, and it gets nostalgia points because I used one on my "weird types" Johto team, naming it after the Pink Turbozord: Windchaser.

115. Latios Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 381)
Since I've never caught Latios in any game, he essentially ranks this high due to his design. It's also pretty hard to discuss Latios without mentioning Latias, but since she's still to come, I will just say that I really like the contrast between the pair. In addition to being the first Legendary Pokemon with genders, which is reflected in their names, they also each have a chest marking in the other's dominant color, reinforcing their connection. When Latios was first revealed to the public back in 2002, a lot of fans were confused because of the similarities with Lugia, although the reception was definitely warmer than now and how every Gen V Pokemon is a hideous ripoff of a completely unrelated Kanto Pokemon. However, because his relationship with Latias is placed at the forefront, "Latios is a Lugia ripoff" is thankfully almost never heard these days. And that's good because, despite a slightly similar design, Latios is cuter and has a more distinct typing and ability. Dragon/Psychic with Levitate is indeed interesting, and it's funny how it either resists or is weak against every former Special type.

However, Latios is yet another stereotypical male-only Pokemon who has better offensive stats than defensive ones and, since it's always been Uber with or without Soul Dew while Latias has not, he's the umpteenth male Pokemon who trumps his female counterpart and I wish Gamefreak would STOP DOING THIS ALREADY. Latios' trademark attack, Luster Purge, is also offense-oriented because it lowers the target's Special Defense, but I always have been more concerned with how "Luster Purge" is basically a fancy name for "Sparkly Puke." At least they didn't give that move to Latias to reinforce that most bulimics are women. It was also kind of weird that Latios appears in Ruby, since it's mostly blue, and I didn't like that it was exclusive to SoulSilver since (surprise!) I prefer and wanted Latias in my main game instead. He also had a pretty major role in the fifth movie, which I haven't seen, but in which Latios was (spoiler)
the first Pokemon to die and stay dead. Altogether, I do love Latios for being cute and cool simultaneously, and here are the requisite links to card scans to support this.

114. Krabby Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 98)
Krabby is another overlooked Pokemon that I randomly love, thanks mostly to the anime. While Ash's Krabby was little more than a prop to showcase the anime's storage system, I did think he was a cute and funny little guy, particularly with his "KOOKEKEKEKE~" voice, and I hated how it got so little screentime. However, it does have ONE special distinction for being Ash's ONLY Water-type to evolve, and in its debut match to boot, so good job Krabby! Otherwise, Krabby is pretty forgotten, despite its surprisingly high Attack and Defense for an unevolved Pokemon, and that's probably because there are so many damn Water-types in this series. However, after I found one Rock Smashing, I used Krabby in my Team Rocket-based GS team, as Giovanni had a Kingler in the anime, and again in Diamond since it was a swarming Pokemon. Sadly, Krabby is THE Kanto Pokemon with the fewest TCG cards, and its best artwork was even for its debut card. So, while it's not particularly notable, a crab-based Pokemon is awesome, and I love its simplicity and cuteness.

113. Lugia Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 249)
Because it starred in the second movie, Lugia was among the first Johto Pokemon introduced to English audiences. Unlike the first movie, I actually enjoyed Lugia's movie and liked that it was portrayed as a hero, in contrast with Mewtwo, and an awesome lead Pokemon to promote the upcoming games. The movie also heavily implies that Lugia is the "master" of the Legendary Birds, since imbalance between the three causes catastrophe and awakens Lugia. This has never been confirmed in the games, yet it's generally accepted in fanon. I don't mind the idea myself, since Ho-oh is the "master" of the Beasts and I like Lugia and the Birds more, but the anime and the games are not necessarily the same canon. Regardless, like Ho-oh, I enjoy Lugia's in-game story, in which it fled to Whirl Islands after its shrine, Brass Tower, crumbled in the fire, and Lugia's name has always amused me due to a comic my friend did in which Luigi evolved into Lugia and left Mario o_O;ing at him. While it's a bit weird that a Psychic/Flying-type has such a strong association with Water, I like Lugia's type because it doesn't have an obvious advantage over Ho-oh. Lugia is also another Pokemon who looks better with each sprite (at least until HGSS's horrific Lugia sprite):

Because of its Water association, Lugia was the only non-Water-type I caught in my first completed Silver file, and naturally I like Lugia a lot because it was the version mascot of my preferred Gen II game. However, I really like how Lugia and Ho-oh are available in BOTH versions and I wish later games were so generous. In battle, Lugia is obviously an Uber, yet I'm puzzled because it's oddly defensive and, until it became Special in DP, Aeroblast was a much worse exclusive move than Sacred Fire. Whirl Islands is also a gigantic pain in the ass, but I do appreciate how Lugia hibernates under the sea because it provides a connection with ryujin and the tides are associated with the moon, in contrast to how Ho-oh is linked to the sun. While Lugia's types in the TCG are inconsistent, it does have cool artwork and one of the most ridiculous cards ever, originating from a useless spinoff that only exists to provide Lugia without an event in Gen III. It also had a multiparter in Johto's anime, featuring Silver the cute baby Lugia, and was the winner of Psypoke Idol 2 due to the site's Psychic theme and the scarily convenient timing of the contest. Overall, Lugia is an awesome Pokemon, but it's not really close enough to my "style" to get into the top 100.

112. Camerupt Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 323)
Everything about Camerupt just clicks. I love how Fire and Ground are used on animal known to travel in hot, sandy places, and I also love how the design goes further to incorporate two mini-volcano "humps," which is a brilliant idea because volcanoes erupt magma (Fire) that hardens into new land (Ground). In battle, Camerupt is actually not that bad, with only two weaknesses, although one of them is a 4x, and it got a great ability in Solid Rock even though its defensive stats are still a bit lacking. Similarly, it's also one of the few Pokemon to get Eruption; while it's a bit too slow to use it, at least it's an flavor-appropriate move, and I really wish Camerupt's humps erupted in its sprite animations to remind us that, oh yeah, this thing is a volcano camel. I also like Camerupt because it's cute in a calm, oblivious way and, like many other Hoenn Pokemon, it looks much better in DPP than RSE. While it has some cute artwork in the TCG, it's pretty lame that there's a Fighting-type TORKOAL card while Camerupt's have all been Fire. Regardless, I love this Pokemon for being a creative and cute design.

111. Mow Rotom Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 479)
When Platinum's release brough us the new Rotom appliances, most people were like, "WTF? These things suck! BAWWW!1!", but Mow Rotom pretty much became one of my favorite Sinnoh Pokemon at first sight. While it sucks that a lawnmower-based Pokemon has a Ghost/Electric-typing, rather than something more original like Steel/Grass or Electric/Grass, Mow Rotom compensates with a great trademark move, Leaf Storm, and an amazing design. If you can't agree that a wacky runaway lawnmower with psychotic blade teeth and crazy eyes is one of the funniest and most creative Pokemon designs ever, I think you need to stop taking this franchise so seriously. With its great stats and movepool, I definitely would have used Mow Rotom if I ever bothered playing Platinum, but I do think it's impressive that Mow Rotom placed this high without me ever using it, and perhaps I'll get to use one in a future game. While I dislike how Japan's "Cut" Rotom became our "Mow" Rotom, since the word "mow" has always annoyed me for some reason, I still think Mow Rotom is AWESOME. Haters to the left!

The next update is the last one before the Top 100. As such, I will only afford a couple of hints. Highlight to view spoiler.
-Four Grass-types and/or three single-stagers get the boot.
-Another Eeveelution and another alternate form go.
-A Pokemon with identity issues goes out at #101.

4 Kanto, 1 Johto, 1 Hoenn, 4 Sinnoh.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:17 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Frost wrote:
and perhaps I'll get to use one in a future game

You can in HGSS, have one follow you into the Sliph Co building and go to the elevator.

While that's true, I only played HGSS one time for the walkthrough and won't again. -Frost

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Frost wrote:

HIS MIND CAN'T REPEL INFATUATION OF THAT MAGNETUDE!!!! Star Wars references aside, Gardevoir is one of the few pokemon that fan artists will draw with female features despite it's gender.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

You sure do seem to go for that whole "cute and cool" thing with Pok

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Gardevoir is hotter as a man :O

also

Quote:
it's pathetic how many people want want to fuck some anorexic Pokemon who ... has a 60's flipwig

i remember you saying the most awesome thing about illumise was her flipwig ;o

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:12 am
THE POWER IS ON!

The main focus in that sentence was supposed to be on her anorexic waist. The flipwig IS awesome and needed a mention, so it got a descriptive passage in between my nerdrage. ;o

It's the last update before the top 100 is revealed! Wahoo!

Update Title: "Crab Grass," referring to #108, #106-104 and #102.

110. Combee Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 415)
After wanting Vespiquen at first sight, next I had to look up her pre-evolution. Combee being this high probably looks weird, but I've always been a fan of cute, useless Bug-types (except Wurmple) and there hadn't been one in awhile. Combee is actually fairly fresh for the series because we've had a bee but never a honeycomb Pokemon. Since Combee is an odd mix of both, Vespiquen's Orders hilariously command swarms of her happy, smiling underlings to maul opponents or form ridiculous barriers. Although it's accurate to the real world, female Combee's rarity is pretty lame, since Vespiquen's not even that great, although I was still THRILLED when I found a Level 5 female Combee WITH POKERUS after days of searching. I also don't like how male Combee are totally useless, being unable to evolve or learn more than Gust and Sweet Scent in DP. Even the TCG ignores him because every Combee card has been female, although no less happy and adorable. Still, Combee is great for being the type of wacky, lovable design that only Pokemon brings. <3 Real-life Combee, though? Not that cute.

109. Electabuzz Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 125)
Although I always thought I liked Magmar more for being the Blue-exclusive, the process of doing these rankings made me realize I preferred Electabuzz. I guess the main reason why Electabuzz gets the nod is because an electric humanoid tiger looks WAY cooler than a fire booby, with a nicer color scheme and more intimidating design. It also helps that Electric is a way better type than Fire in general, which is the main reason Electabuzz has always outclassed Magmar in battle. Like Magmar, I appreciate Electabuzz for its type-uncharacteristic move versatility, since it gets oddball moves like Psychic, Ice Punch and Cross Chop, and it has generally well-rounded stats except for Defense. Base Electabuzz was even probably the best Lightning card in the early TCG, since it had decent damage output and didn't murder itself with recoil. An anecdote about TCG Electabuzz: I didn't have the Base card for awhile, so I hoped to get the first movie promo, which was random because I don't even recall Electabuzz being in the movie. Instead, I got Mewtwo, for whom I already had a card. Meh.

Electabuzz's decent stats and great movepool are why I was so surprised when I learned it evolved. At first I thought Electivire HAD to be a branch evolution since there was NO WAY they'd evolve Electabuzz. It would have been JUST FINE if Electabuzz received Motor Drive and another, far worse Pokemon got an evolution instead, but I guess GameFreak disagreed. Anyway, due to Electabuzz, Magmar and Jynx's similarities, it's rumored that they were going to be RBY's Legendary Trio before the Birds were created; since I like all three, I'm fond of the idea. However, I hated that none of them were in Yellow while the weaker, less cool Scyther and Pinsir were, and it sucks how you can't get Electabuzz until the end of the Johto games either. In the anime, Electabuzz is best known for "Showdown in Dark City," in which it had a super funny voice and went crazy after seeing in the color red; more recently, obnoxious Casey reminds us of her girl boner for Electabuzz at any given opportunity. Poor thing. Overall, Electabuzz is an awesome Pokemon and I like to pretend that it's still a final stage.

108. Kingler Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 99)
Like Krabby, Kingler is one of the more forgotten Kanto Pokemon, with only six distinct cards and its main exposure coming from the anime. Ash used Krabby for the first time in the Kanto League and it evolved into Kingler, who won its first match after roflstomping Exeggutor. Although Kingler proved to be a powerhouse and still had Krabby's funny "KOOKIE KOOKIE!" voice, it went right back to Oak and even got pushed aside for Squirtle in the Johto League. But, hey, at least the writers provided the long-awaited, adorable team-up between Kingler and Corphish (see below). I used Kingler in GSC, on the aforementioned Team Rocket team; FRLG, as Krabby was found at a low level and didn't need breeding; and DPP, which was the only time it was really usable in-game. While not horrible in battle and better than his Hoenn friend Crawdaunt, Kingler ran on fumes until the movesplit made Crabhammer into a Physical move, although RBY's broken CH formula made it decent as well. Kingler is essentially a bigger version of the awesome Krabby, but it's also charming, cute and powerful in its own way.

Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles teaming up ain't got nothing on this!

107. Hail Castform Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 107)
I've covered Castform thrice already and only just now remembered that I like how it's a man-made Pokemon. Oops. Anyway, Ice is my favorite type, so it's logical that Hail Castform is my favorite, as he's definitely both the cutest pure Ice-type and Castform. :3 I also think Hail Castform is the most creative design of the four, since it's a less obvious. It looks icy and windy at the same time, evoking the feeling of a blizzard, while the other two are like "Oh, it's Sunny Castform so his head is a sun. It's Rain Castform so here's a generic rain cloud. Derp." Like the other alternate Castform, I like how Hail Castform has no shiny form and it has some very cute artwork in Legends Awakened, although I don't get why he's "Snow-Cloud Castform" in the TCG. However, since I've never used Castform and Hail Castform is just an alternate form, it wouldn't feel right to put it into the top 100, so it goes out here.

106. Carnivine Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 455)
When DP came out, cockmongler was one of the latest Internet memes and, since Carnivine had big scary teeth too, some people in the chat called it that as well. However, since he was the third Grass-type who ate/harmed James while cutely showing affection, I always preferred "Jamesmongler," although that doesn't fit as an in-game nickname. Carnivine became one of my instant favorites due to its doofy but lovable appearance; while it's obviously based on the venus flytrap, it's cuter, happier and distinguished from Victreebel so it doesn't feel like a rehash. I also liked how James's Carnivine and Cacnea co-existed in the anime for awhile unlike, say, CHIMECHO AND THAT BASTARD MIME JR.! Carnivine was so awesome that I actually endured the hideous Great Marsh to find one for my only in-game DP run. While I like that it gets Levitate and Power Whip, Carnivine is not that great, mostly due to its atrocious Speed, but at least it was more useful than that loser Luxray. While Carnivine isn't very popular, I think he's a funny Pokemon with a lot of personality nonetheless.

"Don't worry, James! I'll suck your cock give you a hug (although my hands ARE questionably placed)!"

105. Jumpluff Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 189)
When I first saw Jumpluff, I thought it was a Water/Grass-type because Erika had one, yet its sprite looked like a bunch of bubbles. Instead, Jumpluff has a different oddball typing, Grass/Flying, and as such I used one on my Gold team of new Pokemon with weird types, naming it "Mt. Blaster" after the Blue Turbozord. Even though I had attacking moves on my Jumpluff like an idiot, Jumpluff is one of the few "annoyer"/utility Pokemon that actually goes somewhere, since it gets Encore, double powders and Subseed, along with a type-uncharacteristic high Speed that fits nicely with its second type. I really like the "hop, skip, jump" naming scheme of the family and how they illustrate how wind carries plant seeds to different places, and Jumpluff is easily the cutest member of its family, with its diminutive appearance that blends a dandelion with a cheerleader. Jumpluff also has some amazingly cute TCG artwork, although I sadly lack HGSS Jumpluff due to Mass Attack driving up its value on eBay. :( Overall, Jumpluff is an amazing Pokemon that mixes cuteness with surprising battle worth.

104. Leafeon Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 470)
Unlike Glaceon, I have always liked Leafeon because there's no lingering questions about why it is exists; it has its own unique typing, stat spread and highest stat, while Glaceon feels like a regurgitation of other, better Eeveelutions. To be honest, Leafeon should have existed way back in GENERATION I and evolved through LEAF STONE, and a number of fans have wanted a Grass-type Eevee ever since RBY. Of course, GameFreak completely botched this up and waited until DP, adding in the stupid "Moss Rock" so they could uphold their annoying need for "consistency," and I can't wait to see how they explain Eevee evolving into Leafeon in later games unless Moss Rocks just happen to grow all over the world. However, while it came late, Leafeon fits perfectly with the other Eeveelutions from Generation I, although it does lack the "collar" that only the first three possess. Instead, Leafeon has some lovely brown eyes and, while admittedly a little cliche, nice usage of leaves for its ears and tail. It fits pretty well with the family's theme of looking cute but with just a twist of power.

When I caught and used all of the Eeveelutions in DP and named them after Psypoke's admins, I looked at Leafeon and said, "It looks like a Scotty," so I named him after TheCyberMew, and only realized later that, for reasons I can't mention here, it's funny that I named the Grass-type after him. Leafeon also has a cool forest-like in-game cry and a decent stat distribution for an Eeveelution, although it's weird how the Grass-type specializes in DEFENSE of all stats. However, a few things block Leafeon from the top 100. The name, for example, is completely boring and predictable, unlike Espeon or Umbreon, and Leaf Guard is a similarly lame ability. Ooh, an auto-Safeguard during Sunny Day, how useful... NOT. A Grass-type Hydration would have been so much better. Leafeon also has piss-poor type coverage and gets walled by every Steel-type ever but, to be fair, at least they GAVE it Leaf Blade, even IF it's at an ungodly late level. And it's gotten almost no screentime in the anime, which is a crime. Despite these complaints, Leafeon is a worthy addition to the family and the series as a whole.

103. Nidoqueen Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 31)
Nidoqueen is one of the most comical Pokemon because she is a such a tramp. I mean, it's clear that her animal watermelons are on full display for the world to see, but that doesn't mean she has to shake her stuff like a stripper or showcase her crackwhore charms in her Silver sprite (below). I actually used to hate Nidoqueen for encroaching on my favorite female Pokemon and due to that idiot in the first movie who had one while claiming "all of [his] Pokemon are Water-type!" But, like Sunflora, I grew to love Nidoqueen after I stopped taking her seriously. Although I guess menopause came early for the poor cougar because she cannot breed, she is constantly linked with her man Nidoking, as seen in the TCG. By the way, it's odd how she has FOUR different TCG types. While Shiny Nidoqueen doesn't exactly resemble Nidoking, she's close enough to purple that I'll accept it. Overall, Nidoqueen is a pretty decent fighter, with a great movepool and typing that is immune to Toxic AND Thunder Wave, although she IS the originator of the lame "defensive female" stereotype. I cut her some slack for being the first and because she has such a funny, awesome design and personality.

"Come up and see me sometime, boys!
I'd suck your cock, but my teeth aren't scary enough."

102. Cherrim Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 421)
It's funny how Cherrim's default form simply DOES NOT EXIST. When Cherrim was introduced early to promote DP, it was the Sunshine form. When Cherrim appears in the anime, it is the very lovable Sunshine form. When Cherrim appears in adorable TCG artwork, it is the Sunshine form, except for that one time when it wasn't, which was funny because that card is a rare. And it's no surprise that everybody ignores "Eggplant Cherrim" because it's boring as hell. Sunshine Cherrim, on the other hand, is the cutest little "crackpot flower," to quote darkmind, ever invented. In addition to making me squee because it's so EXCEPTIONALLY HAPPY, a cherry blossom is a unique and cool idea for a new Grass-type and, as I've said before, I appreciate Grass-types being based on flowers. Unfortunately, Cherrim sucks a big one in battle, although Flower Gift has potential, but my BFFs Krisp and R_R each have Cherrim plushies, so who cares? It makes me happy and that's all that matters! However, it looks weird at times, and I've never actually used one, so it goes out before the top 100.

"Overcast Cherrim doesn't exist! This pleases us!"

101. Ditto Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 132)
I've always loved the idea of a Pokemon who can morph into other Pokemon and, while it's "just a blob," Ditto is great in this role. I even like Ditto's design because A) it's cute and happy, and B) Ditto rearranges its molecular code to use transform, meaning that it's likely unstable. This in-game flavor text both explains why Ditto is formless and inspires the theory that Ditto is a Mew who lost its structure, as both are pink Pokemon with the same weight who can learn Transform naturally. However, Ditto's execution is completely clunky, since its stats suck and it always has to waste a turn to Transform, lamely leaving Ditto with 5 PP in every attack and its own subpar HP, which is only handy when transforming into Shedinja. Gamefreak has given Ditto TWO unique items over the years, Metal Powder and Quick Powder, and they're about as useful as Farfetch'd's Stick. And while Limber is okay, Ditto really should have gotten Trace, as its whole gimmick is copying the opponent. Sure, it copies abilities after Transforming anyway, but having Trace would help it survive the turn needed TO Transform.

Step right up to see the world's smallest Arbok Ditto!

From its glitched SSBM appearance to its ever changing sprite colors, there's a lot to say about Ditto. But it might be best known for the anime, in which Duplica had two Ditto with adorable voices and unique problems. Her first one stays tiny after Transforming, which is cute, but her more famous Ditto couldn't transform without leaving its :) face behind. The series' other canons have had fun with this, since Bulbadits appeared in Pokemon Snap and the TCG features an assortment of botched Ditto transformations. Fossil Ditto was also special because I never had one as a kid and it was one of the two cards removed from TCG GB so I couldn't even get it THERE. And, since GSC, Ditto has become one of the most useful and pimp-like Pokemon since it can breed with almost ANYTHING, bringing forth yet another similarity to the bisexual Mystique from the X-Men series. While Ditto's breeding abilities are completely helpful and awesome, especially in GSC due to the abusable breeding mechanics, I've used Ditto seriously in EVERY Generation, even hacking a battling Ditto with perfect IVs in Gen IV for lulz. However, while I love Ditto very much, it goes out at #101 because its whole gimmick is about how it transforms into OTHERS. Sorry, little guy.

Ditto can be GRR TOUGH ANGRY TOO, WHATHA FUCK?!

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:38 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

THE TOP 100:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Statistics
REGION - Kanto: 44 / Johto: 25 / Hoenn: 17 / Sinnoh: 14
PHYSICAL TYPE - Bug: 4 / Fighting: 4 / Flying: 12 / Ghost: 4 / Ground: 7 / Normal: 22 / Poison: 9 / Rock: 1 / Steel: 4
SPECIAL TYPE - Dark: ZERO / Dragon: 5 / Electric: 5 / Fire: 7 / Grass: 16 / Ice: 7 / Psychic: 13 / Water: 22
OTHER - Eeveelutions: 4 / Fossils: 0 / Legendaries: 5 / Starters (Basic): 7 / Starters (Middle): 1 / Starters (Final): 2 / Babies: 0
Complete Evolution Lines - Vulpix, Diglett, Ponyta, Slowpoke, Seel, Lickitung, Tangela, Chikorita, Phanpy, Spoink, Swablu, Drifloon (12)

Surprises? Favorites?

Also, since it's the top 100, no more spoiler clues. However, the next post has 7 Kanto Pokemon and one from every other Region.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:41 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

>>Quagsire is still in the running
>>I'mokaywiththis.jpg

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:20 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i predict jynx or dewgong to be first

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:59 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

This made my day :)

I cannot wait to see Furret's write up.

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:52 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Meh. None of my favorites made it this far (RIP, Zangoose, Deoxys, and Rayquaza). By the way, I could have sworn that a Ditto in season 1 turned into a cannon to blast stuff. Or it could just be my imagination.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:41 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yeah, I remember that episode. I think it was to blast off Team Rocket

I completed the Nuzlocke Challenge,give it a go!
FC (Rackham): 2751 3755 8475 (HG)

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:50 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

waterpokemonmaniac wrote:

Dewgong will far be from the first to be eliminated from the top one hundred. Dewgong will most likely end up in the top ten.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:56 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

shinashu taji wrote:
waterpokemonmaniac wrote:

Dewgong will far be from the first to be eliminated from the top one hundred. Dewgong will most likely end up in the top ten.

I think he meant "Jynx or Dewgong will rank #1". It wouldn't surprise me if Jynx ranked 1st, since he is a transvestite after all.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I absolutely detest Lickilicky and Tangrowth. I was never a fan of going back to "add" evolutions to pokemon from prior generations, so yes I am biased.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next