It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Who Has Yellow: Pikachu Edition? 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

any fan of the Pokemon game knows just how useless Pikachu really is, but unfortunately there aren't any other good Pokemon to use in the beginning of the game so your sort of stuck with him until after Pewter City. and then by then, Pikachu is most likely at a high enough level that you almost have to keep using him past that point. (unless you want to spend a few hours training another pokemon to a useful level where you can actually use it during trainer battles).

that and the fact that they took away the Cinnabar Island Surfing Glitch is the reason i much prefer Red and Blue to Yellow.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Pikachu isn't horrible but it's the same situation as Marowak where it's a lot more frustrating to use before its signature item was introduced. The one time I played Yellow I used Pikachu all the way and as long as I kept it away from Pokemon it was weak against or just super strong Pokemon in general, it was fine. However it was ridiculous to get past the level gab in between Erika and Koga/Sabrina

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:14 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

if you are just using Pikachu for in-the-game stuff and never plan to use him in Stadium or to battle friends, then yeah i suppose hes fine. i mean all the trainers in the game have 0 DV's so practically every pokemon can be utilized to some degree

but out of the 151 original pokemon (assuming we are comparing pokemon with equal stats) Pikachu ranks 123rd. meaning there are only 28 other pokemon weaker then it.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:46 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well I don't think anyone would really want to use their Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow in stadium unless it's one of the easier modes or you find a Pokemon that can easily get picked off by Pikachu (like most Flying and Water types). And yeah I know Pikachu's BST is not quite impressive but that's not news to anyone.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:51 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

That's kind of the point I'm making about Pokemon Yellow though. if you wanted to use your starter pokemon outside of in-the-game stuff, it would be extremely difficult, as opposed to in Red and Blue where you can use your starter for a multitude of things.

when i played Stadium the first time through with my Pokemon Blue version, i used my Blastoise in both the R-1 and R-2 Master Cup (all 4 stages) and every Gym Leader/Elite Four Member. When i tried to do this with my Yellow version with Pikachu, i didn't get to far and was forced to go back into the game and create a whole new lineup (time consuming).

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:35 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Try to get one of the nido's, they work really well.

Mew, in all, is better than mewtwo.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:37 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

not a big fan of them either...in a game where Special dominates, having weaknesses to Ice, Water and Psychic (3 of the most common high power moves) isn't exactly my cup of tea

but id agree with you in regards to id much rather have a NidoKing or Queen then a Pikachu

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:33 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Not only do I but it was my first game back in 2000 and is current the only one of my GBC games that is still working.
bobertleoroy wrote:
any fan of the Pokemon game knows just how useless Pikachu really is...

Respectfully I disagree.
True it presents a challenge getting started since the beginning of the game offers no pokemon that are strong against rock types to consider the first gym in Pewter City and in Yellow you don't get the standard starters until later(whereas at least in RB two of your starter choices are helpful).

Pikachu however has a strong point. It's the only electric pokemon among those offered early in their games which already comes with a damage dealing electric move whereas others such as Jolteon, Mareep, shinx, and electrike take 10-20 levels to learn one. Shinx is the worst as it needs to freaking evolve before it learns it's first electric move, spark! Quite ridiculous!

Because of this Pikachu turns the tables in Cerulean City when it becomes one of only two Pokemon offered that are strong against water types(the other being Oddish which takes a lot of training or else evolution to become real useful)
Pikachu will also come in handy if your rival evolves his eevee to vaporeon (now how exactly does that work? I never understood).
Pikachu can also learn Seismic Toss, the TM for which can be found in Cerulean City on the way to Bill's house which can be badass. Trust me once in Red version an under leveled Pikachu I somehow had with me shocked the hell out of me(no pun intended haha) when I randomly selected Seismic toss and it KOed Sabrina's Alakazam. It had been my last pokemon so I had been braced for defeat when I sent it out!
Also lets return to the Viridian Forest. If you don't begin with Charmander in Red or Blue or catch a pidgey with Squirtle and especially Bulbasaur the bug catchers that use weedle can actually be pretty distractive with that damn poison sting. So it helps to have a Pokemon, like Pikachu, that is strong against bugs with moves that can get rid of those little :censored: as quickly as possible. Otherwise you could face quite a few trips back to the Viridian Pokemon Center. This happened to me once and I want to say it was in a Fire Red file.

Last edited by RedRum on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:24 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Good trainers know how to bring out the best in Pokemon, and it's certainly fun bringing out the best in Pikachu. However, you made a few errors. Spark isn't the weakest Electric move in any Generation. It's a decent attack, especially in early-mid story. And only Starmie is part Psychic, Staryu is only a Water type. And neither Staryu or Starmie have Psychic on their movesets when you face Misty. And in addition to Oddish I think you can get Bellsprout too, and at that point there's also the Bulbasaur you can get at Cerulean City.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:43 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

vaporterra wrote:
Good trainers know how to bring out the best in Pokemon, and it's certainly fun bringing out the best in Pikachu. However, you made a few errors. Spark isn't the weakest Electric move in any Generation. It's a decent attack, especially in early-mid story. And only Starmie is part Psychic, Staryu is only a Water type. And neither Staryu or Starmie have Psychic on their movesets when you face Misty. And in addition to Oddish I think you can get Bellsprout too, and at that point there's also the Bulbasaur you can get at Cerulean City.

Thanks for the corrections, it's been years since I have played the first generation.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:04 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

bobertleoroy wrote:
any fan of the Pokemon game knows just how useless Pikachu really is, but unfortunately there aren't any other good Pokemon to use in the beginning of the game so your sort of stuck with him until after Pewter City. and then by then, Pikachu is most likely at a high enough level that you almost have to keep using him past that point. (unless you want to spend a few hours training another pokemon to a useful level where you can actually use it during trainer battles).

that and the fact that they took away the Cinnabar Island Surfing Glitch is the reason i much prefer Red and Blue to Yellow.

Good trainers bring out the best in there pokemon, and challenges are fun, besides, at least in later games he gets a light orb (doubles attack and special attack)

Still, it's such a shame only pikachu could follow you

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2