It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Gen V English Name Whine & Moan Thread - all out but three 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Lawence Codye wrote:
I am not even paying ShinyLucario's post anymore attention...

Am I really that unpopular? LOL

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:42 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm in the minority... I actually like the region name. As far as the starters go, I DO like "Snivy". I don't like the others. The other names aren't that much different to me. So I am not phased by them.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, yeah, names don't really matter all that much. But they seriously could've done better... what did we think of for Snivy and Oshawott? At least they're easy to remember. I'm a little scared of what they'll call the ice cream ones...

Unova? catchy, i guess. I never really liked Isshu. And it's better than Sinnoh. I was pretty pissed when Sinnoh was 6 characters, but that's just me.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:34 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: I cannot disclose this information as it might endanger our units in the feild
well I didnt expect these to be amazing but im not griping yet... oshawatt... haha I like wotter more... he just turned really ugly again haha

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:09 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
ShinyLucario wrote:
Am I really that unpopular? LOL

I said anymore which means that I didn't like what I saw when I clicked that link, has nothing to do with you really, lol...

That link has a very narrow point of view to me is what I meant by "what I saw", meh whatever...

I don't even want to know what the Denchura & Ononokusu's families of pokemon will be named in English oww boy...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:01 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Complete opinion overhaul:
Unova- I like it a heck lot more than Isshu. Good name in my opinion.
Oshawott- Whatever, I like it. Maybe 89/100.
Tepig- ... pig/tepid. Ooookaaaay, then. I can live with it.
Snivvy-snake/ivy- NO! ME NO LIKEY! F***ING SNIVVY?!?! REALLY? ARE YOU KIDDING ME! NO NO NO NO NO![/mindless screaming] But luckily, there is a such thing as nicknaming, where you can name your pokemon nearly anything you want. Yes. Thank you for re-pointing that out, rex.

Last edited by Edoc'sil on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm alright with the names. I'm dissapointed in Tepig though, I really liked Pokabu as a name, it was cute and unique, and Tepig just seems underwhelming, but its not like my *****ing and moaning will change the name, either way it'll probably be named Ganon or InstaBacon when I get my copy.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:21 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I don't really care about the names. I just give my Pokemon their romanised Japanese name as their nickname.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:11 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Nicknaming is the way to go if you really don't like the names. I normally nickname my party sets. That's the best thing to do. So instead of whining: D: I don't like these names :((((( THEY SUCK AND NOW I'M GONNA POST IN CAPS CUZ THEY SUCK!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!!!eleven!!! just nickname the pokemon and move on.

This has been a public service announcement for D_S

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:37 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: I cannot disclose this information as it might endanger our units in the feild
im just praying that they dont skrew up the names of the pokemon I actually do care about

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:40 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

robbydebry wrote:
im just praying that they dont skrew up the names of the pokemon I actually do care about

Same here as that would be a tragedy...

Dark_Swampert wrote:
Nicknaming is the way to go if you really don't like the names. I normally nickname my party sets. That's the best thing to do. So instead of whining: D: I don't like these names :((((( THEY SUCK AND NOW I'M GONNA POST IN CAPS CUZ THEY SUCK!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!!!eleven!!! just nickname the pokemon and move on.

This has been a public service announcement for D_S

I don't really think anyone here actually needs to hear such an announcement as it is quite obvious that that would be a solution, to think I already made this point earlier...meh...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I had mentioned it earlier in the thread. but kinda got sick of people whining about the names. I mean names are important but they shouldn't stop you from getting the pokemon you want. So instead of whining about them just get over the bad name and give it a nickname big deal is it really THAT difficult

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:00 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Personally, I don't like Unova or Snivy (which I have decided to pronounce Sniv from snivle + ee). Luckly, I picked Tsutaaja on my imported White version, but I can't do anything about Unova.

[color=#00FF00]Diamond --Friend Code: 2492-7598-5769 --Name: SUPER JK --Play Time: over 754 hours --ID No.: 05221
Pokedex: 493 Awe yeah! --Score: 60689 --Adventure Started: Apr. 22, 2007 --Card: Silver --Money: 999,999 poke[/color]

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:44 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

when i first heard the names i actually started laughing they were that bad, and i found it unfortunate that they changed the name of the region but now i feel like they've kinda grown on me, well the region at least. Still doesn't change the fact that I'm going to be combing through the nick name thread for some interesting ideas.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:51 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Ethereal Ice wrote:
when i first heard the names i actually started laughing they were that bad, and i found it unfortunate that they changed the name of the region but now i feel like they've kinda grown on me, well the region at least. Still doesn't change the fact that I'm going to be combing through the nick name thread for some interesting ideas.

I know 1 thing, these names do nothing but make me want to nickname everything I can possibly nickname & completely disregard the real english names as if they weren't even ever made, wow I hate the people that come up with the english names, they fail almost 100% of the time at such a simple task...

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:44 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Lawence Codye wrote:
I know 1 thing, these names do nothing but make me want to nickname everything I can possibly nickname & completely disregard the real english names as if they weren't even ever made, wow I hate the people that come up with the english names, they fail almost 100% of the time at such a simple task...

Not really I thought that the names up until now have been great. I guess this Gen they are running out of ideas for cool names. It's been 12 years it's very understandable. Give them time to think and Gen VI (if there is one) will be back to the standard of names we are used to seeing.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:51 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Dark_Swampert wrote:
Not really I thought that the names up until now have been great. I guess this Gen they are running out of ideas for cool names. It's been 12 years it's very understandable. Give them time to think and Gen VI (if there is one) will be back to the standard of names we are used to seeing.

Haha, I meant just the names for the Gen V Pokemon that were revealed so far & I am just getting my complaining out of the way now so that it doesn't come up around the time the game is released in the US so giving them the benefit of the doubt will have to wait until some time in 2011 at which point I will most likely give them the benefit of the doubt as I'm not really should I say "devastated" by the names but think more time could have been put into them which they don't always have I'm sure...

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'd like to say the Zoroa is offically Zorua

And the Move Sharpen Claws is now Hone Claws

as well as the move Counterfeit is now Foul Play

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:07 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

/vXv\ wrote:
I'd like to say the Zoroa is offically Zorua

And the Move Sharpen Claws is now Hone Claws

as well as the move Counterfeit is now Foul Play

I am glad that they used Zorua as it's English Name, glad that they changed Counterfeit to Foul Play & ok with them changing Sharpen Claws to Hone Claws, that is my viewpoint on all of that...

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:06 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Lawence Codye wrote:
I am glad that they used Zorua as it's English Name...

Do you mean that they used the Japanese name or the whole Zorua vs. Zoroa thing?

Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:49 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I hate that the English name is Zorua. It's kind of Nintendo of America's fault and kind of not.

I say this because the official Japanese romanized name, which was seen when Zoroark and Zoroa were revealed back in March, is "Zorua" for no particular reason; the character's name in katakana translates to "Zo ro a," in comparison to Zoroark's Japanese name of "Zo ro aa ku," which was translated correctly as "Zoroark." The first three symbols are the same in both Zorua and Zoroark's Japanese names, so in that respect it's Japan's fault for the wrong official romanization. It's also why Psypoke always has used the name "Zoroa" despite every other fan site using "Zorua" as it was seen in Corocoro.

At the same time, Nintendo of America should have realized that Zorua was an incorrect romanization and fixed it, especially when the Pokemon evolves into ZorOark and the "zoro" part is supposed to represent fox. This isn't the first time that a wrong Japanese official romanization gave us a different English name, either; Shaymin's Japanese name is "Sheimi," but the official romanization was "Shaymin," which Nintendo of America used too. In Zorua's case still annoys me more though, probably because Shaymin doesn't evolve into anything with a similar name root pattern.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:46 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Manafi wrote:
Lawence Codye wrote:
I am glad that they used Zorua as it's English Name...

Do you mean that they used the Japanese name or the whole Zorua vs. Zoroa thing?

I meant the former, even if it is a incorrect romanization of it's name...

Though now that Frost mentions that about how the "Zoro" part is suppose to represent Fox, I don't like it as much anymore, but I still don't hate it, though they probably should have used Zoroa just because they used Zoroark, it only makes sense imo...

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
'Zoro' reminds me a bit to much of Zorro, but whatever. Still happy with all names except Snivy.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:32 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Edoc'sil wrote:
'Zoro' reminds me a bit to much of Zorro, but whatever. Still happy with all names except Snivy.

Well it does mean fox in Spanish....so it's Johnston McCulley's fault
Frost wrote:
I hate that the English name is Zorua. It's kind of Nintendo of America's fault and kind of not.

You shouldn't blame them too much...they probably just didn't look into it since it's one of those pokemon where it's basically 'default' to use the Japanese name/romanization
as for Nintendo of Japan...maybe it was a typo :mrgreen:

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Heck, maybe just for laughs, I'll nickname my Zorua Zorro. Then I'll ask a spriter to add stuff to Zorua's sprite to make it look like Zorro. Why not?

Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next