It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Help with Training my Pokemon 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I really need help with training my Pokemon for the Elite 4 for I can use it for Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness (Which I got yesterday)! I really need to train my Pokemon but I don't know where I should train them. And also what moves they should have. Here is my team so far!

Lapras (Surfa) LV 43
ICE BEAM
BODY SLAM
BLIZZARD
SURF

Venasaur (Leaf Green) LV 44
RAZOR LEAF
TOXIC
FRENZY PLANT
SOLARBEAM

Ninetales (Burna) LV 43
OVERHEAT
SUNNY DAY
FIRE BLAST
FLAMETHROWER

Jolteon (Shocker) LV 43
SECRET POWER
THUNDER
DOUBLE KICK (I might want to replace it with THUNDERBOLT)
DOUBLE-EDGE

Snorlax (Lazy Fatty) LV 42
EARTHQUAKE
HYPER BEAM
RETURN
PSYCHIC

Primeape (PrimeFight) LV 42
STRENGTH
MEGA KICK
CROSS CHOP
KARATE CHOP

So where should I train my Pokemon, what levels should they be on and what moves should I have on it? Please help. And if you want, please rate the nicknames of my Pokemon.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

First, you have a lot of move-type duplication on your pokemon, in terms of moves that are strictly intended to cause damage (not status effects, or other side-effects). Lapras has 2 Ice moves. Venusaur has 3 Grass moves. Ninetales has 3 Fire moves. Jolteon has 3 Normal (or possibly 2 Normal and 2 Electric) moves. Snorlax has 2 Normal moves. Primeape has 2 Normal and 2 Fighting moves. You get the point. In general, you want no more than one damaging move of each type on a single pokemon. Having the others gains you absolutely nothing, in terms of versatility, etc. You also have some that play to your pokemon's weaknesses. For instance, Jolteon has low Attack and great Special Attack, so putting physical moves (Secret Power, Double Kick, and Double Edge) on it makes those attacks proportionally much weaker.

The formula I tend to use to evaluate the effectiveness of a move is Base Power times Accuracy divided by number of turns it takes. So, for instance, Hyper Beam would come out to a 150 x 90 / 2 = 6750, whereas Return (assuming max happiness) is 102 * 100 / 1 = 10200. So, Return is substantially better than Hyper Beam.

Other than that, at level 40-ish, your best place may be at the far end of Route 16, right at the top of the biking hill. Using your VS seeker, you can get 5-6 opponents at a time, against the cue balls and other guys lined up there.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Every thing JsXtm said about your Pokemon' movesets was right.
I made some arrangements that will help a little bit.
Lapras needs to learn an attack that isn't water or ice.
Vensaur needs to have toxic replaced with sludge bomb.
Ninetales is hopeless. It doesn't learn good tms or any hms but just find a decent move it could learn that isn't a fire type.
Jolteon- replace Double Kick with Thunderbolt and replace secret power for shadow ball.
Snorlax- replace useless return with Brick Break.
Primeape- replace Mega Kick with Aerial Ace.

The best place to train before you become champ is on Kindle Road where there are three strong fighting type trainers that will get stronger and just keep using vs. seeker. Also there is a hot spring right there so you any heal your Pokemon at any time. Make your Pokemon at least to level 55 and when you face the elite four stock up on pp ups, full restores, and revives.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:26 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

TheCharizardMaster wrote:

Lapras needs to learn an attack that isn't water or ice.
Vensaur needs to have toxic replaced with sludge bomb.
Ninetales is hopeless. It doesn't learn good tms or any hms but just find a decent move it could learn that isn't a fire type.
Jolteon- replace Double Kick with Thunderbolt and replace secret power for shadow ball.
Snorlax- replace useless return with Brick Break.
Primeape- replace Mega Kick with Aerial Ace.

Why shouldn't Lapras learn a water or ice type move? It does 1.5 more damage when Lapras uses them.
Same thing with Snorlax. It does 1.5 more damage and when in battle, Ive seen Snorlax do so much damage?
And why should I teach Primeape Aerial Ace?

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

lapras should know ice beam and surf but it shouldnt know any more water or ice type moves because you already have one on it.

sure you get a 1.5 bonus but if surf isnt getting the job done is another water move going to be as useful? the answer is no, and same with any type.

which is more useful:

lapras

ice beam
surf
waterfall
blizzard

lapras
ice beam
surf
psychic
tbolt (or something random like rest, or toxic, or shadow ball ect)

the 2nd one

in terms of usefulness lapras and snorlax ooze potential, unlock it

also- dont waste your tm's!!

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:20 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Trainer Chris: Lapras can't just have water and ice type moves because it needs moves that can overcome it's weaknesses and I told you to teach Primeape Aerial Ace because there are a limited number of TMs and I tried looking for a good Physical attack for Primeape to use. You also have Snoralx with TWO Special Attack moves and Snorlax's Attack stat is high and it's special attack stat is VERY LOW. Attack:110 Special Attack: 65.
I know FR/LG very well, more so than any other game. It would be wise to take my advice into consideration.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:51 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

just get them way overleveled by training them then u should be able to beat them

Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

{lapras} only needs to know 1 water move. Same with {ninetales} + {primeape} with aerial ace is good

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]