It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Guide to the Voltorb Flip game 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The Voltorb Flip game in HeartGold/SoulSilver replaces the Slots and Roulette in earlier Pokemon games. There is no way to buy Coins in HeartGold/SoulSilver; they have to be earned by playing Voltorb Flip, which does not cost any Coins to play. Voltorb Flip can be quite a challenge, so here are a few tips.

{voltorb} THE BASICS: Voltorb Flip is a logic game, involving a large slice of guesswork and luck. The game board is comprised of a 5x5 grid of cards - the cards are 1, 2, 3 and Voltorb. You start each level with all the cards face-down. At the end of each row and column are two clue numbers, one telling you the sum of all the number cards in that line (the number total), and the other telling you how many Voltorb cards are in that line.

In essence, your task is to use the clues to guess, or deduce, where the 2 and 3 cards are. You must flip over all the 2s and 3s to pass the level and win some Coins. Flip over a Voltorb and, given their tendency to explode when disturbed, it's game over. If you uncover all the 2s and 3s without flipping over a Voltorb, you will receive a number of coins equal to all the 2s and 3s you found multiplied together. (On later levels, that can be hundreds of Coins!)

You must also remember that your Coin Case will only hold 50,000 Coins - if it is full, you will not be able to play Voltorb Flip again until you spend some of your Coins.
{voltorb} HOW TO PLAY: There are two ways to flip over cards: one is by using the touch screen and tapping the cards with the stylus, and the other is by using the arrow keypad and the A button to select cards. Press X to open the Memo and place "marks" on cards you have not yet turned over. When you have found all the 2 and 3 cards on the board, the Coins you have accrued will be added to your Coin Case and you will advance to the next level.

The most important thing you must bear in mind is that a row or column will only contain a 2 or 3 card if the sum of the two clue numbers is greater than 5. For example, if you start the game with the top row containing a number total of 4, and 1 Voltorb, you have no need to flip over any cards in that row. They will either be 1 cards or Voltorb cards.

However, if the sum of the two clue numbers is 6 or more, there must logically be one or more 2 or 3 cards present in that line. These are the lines you have to search in order to pass the level and win the Coins: for instance, if the left-most column contains a number total of 6 and 2 Voltorb, you have to find the 2 or 3 number cards that raise the clue sum higher than 5.

At any point during play, you can choose to quit the level by pressing the B button. Ending a level early will allow you to keep the Coins you have found so far. Quitting a level will not end the game; you will simply restart the level, or you may be downgraded to an earlier level (see Game Levels below for an explanation). To quit the game entirely, you must select to quit before starting a level.
{voltorb} USING LOGIC: To work out when you've cleared a line, remember that the clue sum (i.e. number total plus Voltorb) will always be 5 if there are no number cards other than 1s. If one of the number cards in the line is a 2, and the rest are 1s, the clue sum will be 6. If two number cards are 2s, the total will be 7 - as will be the case if the line contains a 3. And so on. This is true regardless of how many Voltorb are in the line - since they contribute the same amount to the clue sum as a 1 card does. Simply by adding and subtracting, you can work out how many 2s and 3s you have left to find, and deduce where you still need to search, until you finally clear the level (or hit a Voltorb and lose).

As you play, you can use the Memo to mark all the cards in rows or columns that are already "finished", i.e. have no more 2s or 3s to find. (I always start play by marking the rows and columns with a clue sum of 5. I use Voltorb marks for this, since they're least confusing for the purpose.) This is essential as you uncover more number cards - as you find 2s and 3s, you can mark more lines if you've found enough to justify the clue sum of that line. In the example given above - a number total of 6, and 2 Voltorb - the clue sum (8) would be justified by finding a 2 and a 3, or three 2s, in that column. This means that all the remaining cards will only be 1s or Voltorb cards, and the total for that column will match the clues. When you find all the 2 and 3 cards, the column has been cleared, and you can mark the rest of the column because there is no need to search it further. Avoid searching anywhere you don't have to, because that runs the risk of finding a Voltorb, without the possibility of finding more Coins.

As you progress through the game, the higher number totals and more numerous Voltorb make the hidden 3 cards essential clues. On later levels, there may be lines comprised only of 3s and Voltorb (such as a number total of 3 with 4 Voltorb, or a number total of 9 with 2 Voltorb). This rules out the presence of a 2 card, which can be an important piece of information in telling you the right place to search. (You will want to mark the squares in intersecting lines that cannot contain a 3, since those squares can only be Voltorb.) This is also true if a line is partially cleared; you need to pay careful attention to any information provided by the clues that has not yet been accounted for. (For example, if you have a row with a number total of 4 and 3 Voltorb, and you find a 1 in that row, the other number card can only be a 3.) Of course, there will always be an element of guesswork, but the clues can sometimes provide logical certainty. A line of 5 Voltorb, for instance, is a stroke of good fortune - especially if it crosses a line with only one Voltorb, because you know exactly where the Voltorb is.
{voltorb} GAME LEVELS: The game starts at level 1, giving you only a few 2 and 3 cards to find, and not many Voltorb. As you pass levels, there will be more number cards to find and more Voltorb to avoid, making the game more challenging as you progress, but offering an exponentially greater reward. If you uncover a Voltorb and lose the game, or if you choose to quit the level before finishing, you may lose some of your progress: your game level will be set to the number of cards you flipped over before the game ended. If you flipped more cards than your current level, you won't lose any progress. (This is why I recommend flipping over all the cards in any line that contains no Voltorb, even if all those cards are 1s.) If Voltorb was the very first card you flipped over (ouch!), your game level will be reset to 1 and you'll start from the beginning again.

If your luck and logic are good enough, you will eventually reach level 7, the maximum standard level in the game. A specific set of requirements must be met in order to advance to the bonus level: level 8, which is a brain-bending challenge but offers an incredible reward if you can beat it. Level 8 can be reached if you clear more than eight cards when you clear level 7 - but the level advance is random. You may also jump to level 8 if you win five games in a row, but this too is random, and winning five games in a row is rare. You have to be very skilled and very lucky to reach level 8, and even more so to win.
{voltorb} THE REWARD: Scoring, of course, depends on the number of 2s and 3s present on the board, but the reward increases as the game level rises.
Level 1 offers 20-50 Coins;
Level 2 offers 50-100 Coins;
Level 3 offers 100-200 Coins;
Level 4 offers 200-350 Coins;
Level 5 offers 350-600 Coins;
Level 6 offers 600-1000 Coins;
Level 7 offers 1000-2000 Coins.
If you reach level 8, it offers 2000-3500 Coins!
{voltorb} THE PRIZES: The two Game Corners offer different prizes in their Prize Shops. The prize Pokemon also differ slightly, depending on which version you are playing.

The following prizes are available in the Goldenrod Prize Shop.

The man on the left offers prize Pokemon:
Abra (200 Coins)
Ekans (700 Coins, in HeartGold) or Sandshrew (700 Coins, in SoulSilver)
Dratini (2100 Coins)

The man on the right offers hold items and TMs:
Metronome, Silk Scarf, Wide Lens and Zoom Lens (1000 Coins each)
TM90 Substitute (2000 Coins)
TM75 Swords Dance (4000 Coins)
TM44 Rest (6000 Coins)
TM13 Ice Beam (10000 Coins)
TM24 Thunderbolt (10000 Coins)
TM35 Flamethrower (10000 Coins).

The following prizes are available in the Celadon Prize Shop.

The man on the left offers hold items and TMs:
Metronome, Silk Scarf, Wide Lens and Zoom Lens (1000 Coins each)
TM58 Endure (2000 Coins)
TM32 Double Team (4000 Coins)
TM10 Hidden Power (6000 Coins)
TM29 Psychic (10000 Coins)
TM74 Gyro Ball (10000 Coins)
TM68 Giga Impact (15000 Coins)

The man on the right offers prize Pokemon:
Mr. Mime (3333 Coins)
Eevee (6666 Coins)
Porygon (9999 Coins).

{voltorb} That's basically all there is to it. Best of luck playing - may your luck, and your rewards, be great!

Last edited by DarkAriados on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:48 am, edited 15 times in total.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:36 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: Where Chandelure stores the souls it burns for fuel! Mwahahahaha
Thanks. I hate the Voltorb Flip Game. It's just like Minesweeper. If they are going to put a new game in the Game Corner, then at least keep the original slots, right.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I hate this game so so much! I just decided to use Platinum to get the TMs for Ice Beam, Thunderbolt & Flamethrower since it's easier, but I do play it to get the items like the Wide Lens, etc...

Nice guide, DarkAriados...oh & I got to LV5 once but hit a Voltorb Card immediately at the start & was dropped all the way back to LV1 & I haven't gotten back to LV4 even yet...I guess what happens in Vegas really does stay in Vegas, lol...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Last edited by Lawence Codye on Mon May 03, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:45 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

It really annoys me that I can't get super lucky and get a 777 anymore and then be able to buy whatever I want, or just pay my way into it... But the game isn't too bad once you get used to it. Still bummed out, though, especially since Dragonite is going to be into my team...

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:24 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Buying my way into fortune was my way of getting what I wanted via the Game Corner...now it's just some backyard with a poker table & a weird alternative to just simply playing poker...bah, oh well...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Last edited by Lawence Codye on Mon May 03, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:01 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Thanks, people. :) I'm glad my guide is helpful.
I do think there ought to be a guide in the HeartGold/SoulSilver section of Psypoke, for people who are having trouble with Voltorb Flip. It helps enormously to be good at this game, because once you reach Goldenrod you can stock up on the prizes - powerful TMs, helpful hold items and perhaps a Pokemon or two. This gives you a tremendous advantage as you progress through the game, armed with strong moves and hold items, and able to adopt one of the prize Pokemon if you need one.

My record Coin reward was from level 7 - a whopping 1,728 Coins. But to win the game on later levels, you have to get lucky with the placement of numbers and Voltorb, and with your guesses. Even if a line has a huge number total and only one Voltorb, you might still hit the Voltorb if you're unlucky...

Last edited by DarkAriados on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:56 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Here is a good video to learn about the Voltorb Flip Game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4SAZacKjzw

Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:14 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hated the game at first, but my wife and I have gotten pretty decent at it. 600-800 coins per session ain't too bad to get the lower prizes, but I'll just go to Platinum to get the TMs and the free porygon.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:06 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Now this is useful to me. I can hardly make heads or tails of that game... Minesweeper has never been a game I've been good at. My record is level 3, but even then I lost and fell back to level 1. Though now I understand why I would sometimes fall down to the beginning, and sometimes I wouldn't.

I was already marking the spots where I knew ones and bombs were, but I was still having some trouble. Maybe it was what I was focusing on; instead of truly focusing on finding the 2s and 3s, I was doing that, AND finding the Voltorbs in the lines and marking them. When I should have been ignoring them. Hmm.

In any case, I'll use this the next time I try to beat Mr. Game at his own game. Thanks for the help.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:22 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: In my Secret Base at Route 116- come and find me! :P
I appreciate the help, but some people are visual learners and the pure text confused me. Maybe each concept in the game would be much easier explained by adding an image of the puzzle in with the strategies? It's kinda hard to see the parallels with the numbers without a picture to compare it with.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:22 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Trainer_Tarika wrote:
I appreciate the help, but some people are visual learners and the pure text confused me. Maybe each concept in the game would be much easier explained by adding an image of the puzzle in with the strategies? It's kinda hard to see the parallels with the numbers without a picture to compare it with.

Very true. I wish I could have added game screenshots to the guide, and then explained the clues in those pictures, but I didn't have any images I could use. I don't know where to find them, and I'm extremely cautious about searching the Internet to look for them.

That's why I'd like the Psypoke staff to put a Voltorb Flip guide on the main site, because they would be able to find useful screenshots and use them to illustrate the crucial points. Of course, if I find screenshot images anywhere (e.g. if someone posts a link to them) I can add them to this guide.

Last edited by DarkAriados on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:24 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

That sounds like a job for m- Oh wait, my only camera is broken. Nice guide though!

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

MasterChef wrote:
Hated the game at first, but my wife and I have gotten pretty decent at it. 600-800 coins per session ain't too bad to get the lower prizes, but I'll just go to Platinum to get the TMs and the free porygon.

Well, I get around 1000 coins everytime I actually stay there to play this game & I still hate it...it takes forever even when you know how to play it to get the coins needed for 1 TM...which I find to be the more valuable prizes among them...that reminds me, I need to get TMs from Platinum at some point already...

Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:59 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Lawence Codye wrote:
Buying my way into fortune was my way of getting what I wanted via the Game Corner...now it's just some backyard with a poker table & a weird alternative to just simply playing poker...bah, oh well...

Exactly how I play. I buy all my coins but this voltorb can be fun sometimes. After rI learned how to play it X)

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:05 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

hammythepig wrote:
Lawence Codye wrote:

Exactly how I play. I buy all my coins but this voltorb can be fun sometimes. After rI learned how to play it X)

Well, I don't like games that are this random...I mean even when you know how to play it, it makes you think otherwise as there is truly no way to always tell if you are about to make a game stopping move or not & I played it some more yesterday just out of boredom & just could not enjoy it...the numbers on the ends of the rows don't even really help much unless you luckly get around 3 rows of cards with 0 Voltorb cards or 5 Voltorb cards which I got once yesterday & I still lost that exact game...LV4 is the highest I got since that one time I for a second reached LV5...meh...I say I like that it doesn't cost anything to play but I just cannot enjoy games that are all pretty much pure luck as I don't have anywhere near good luck...meh...

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:27 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If your really tired of the game, Here's a link to a Calculator that can help you out www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=217214

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:13 am
Profile YIM
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Wow...I don't need that, I'm fine...just adding to my cons about the game in my previous post that's all...

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:03 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Psper12 wrote:
If your really tired of the game, Here's a link to a Calculator that can help you out http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=217214

doesn't work after level 1 man
even at level 1 it only worked half the time
i tired many times

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:26 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Quote:
If your really tired of the game, Here's a link to a Calculator that can help you out......

The maths part is just basic addition and subtraction.
It's the logic that's the real challenge. (And the luck, of course.)

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:30 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

DarkAriados wrote:
Quote:
If your really tired of the game, Here's a link to a Calculator that can help you out......

The maths part is just basic addition and subtraction.
It's the logic that's the real challenge. (And the luck, of course.)

The games is becomes easy with some basic math knowledge and a tiny bit of logic.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:53 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

That calculator isn't meant to be fool proof. If you look at it and dig a bit into it, you'll notice that there are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, possible combinations. I use that mostly for the percentage chances that they display. I agree that it's not completely accurate, but I've found it fairly useful, to be honest.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:07 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Perhaps it is useful to be given percentage chances of whether you're going to hit the Voltorb, but I can't be bothered. Especially since every now and again, you're going to work out all your percentages, then flip a card and find a Voltorb anyway.

You start with six Voltorb, and there's more every time you gain a level.
Not sure what the exact figures are, or if the number of Voltorb varies each time... but the higher your level, the more Voltorb there will be.

It's the later levels when the odds make the most difference - you really need a knack for finding the right cards to flip - and it's also the later levels where the room for error is at its smallest. Guess wrong and, odds notwithstanding, you still lose the game.

Last edited by DarkAriados on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:42 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

LV8 huh...I need to get my stuff together then...if possible anyway, lol...& I say you were lucky but you might actually get to do that when you are on a winning streak like that...maybe...& again, you are really good at this game regardless DarkAriados...

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I can't make it past Level 4. I get the Logic part, it's easy. It's the Luck that makes it hard.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:02 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Ryanh181 wrote:
I can't make it past Level 4. I get the Logic part, it's easy. It's the Luck that makes it hard.

Pretty much this...in it's entirety...

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next