It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Gen. V starters. 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm actually happy that those "starters" are obvious fakes. The ideas are lacking, and seriously, a dolphin? None of the previous water starters has been fishies (they all have legs, same goes for the fire starter snake too), and it most likely won't happen now, knowing how Game Freak loves to upkeep its traditions.

I'm eager to see the real ones, though. If they aren't huge disappointments like DPP (monkey with a burning butt? Come on!) I'm gonna be one happy person. I'd love to see starters that aren't green/blue/orange exactly, some variation with the colours would be nice.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:52 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Quote:
I'd love to see starters that aren't green/blue/orange exactly, some variation with the colours would be nice.

Yeah, that always kind of bugged me. Although, I'd find it funny if they rotated the colors around, i.e an orange water starter, a green fire starter, etc. XD

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The reason for most of Pokemon being colored the way they are is to emphasize their type. Now I know there are cases which that shouldn't matter, but most Poison Pokemon are some variation of purple, and most Electric Pokes are variations of yellow, like most Fire types are red at some time or other. Water types are usually blue, etc, etc.

It's a (very) generic idea as to how to easily distinguish between types. Kids will be able to associate with an orange Fire starter, blue Water and green Grass MUCH easier than mixing the colors.

Not going to lie, I see this being a good idea, if not a little misplaced. Otherwise, I can basically tell you right now (without being a part of the game-making process) that this won't happen differently than in the past.

AEPMT ;) :mrgreen: :D :P 8-)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

that is very true but you could get away with changing the colour as long you have an animal that corespond with that type how ever that is dificult with fire unless you say a ragon like charizard.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:25 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

ironbrulad wrote:
that is very true but you could get away with changing the colour as long you have an animal that corespond with that type how ever that is dificult with fire unless you say a ragon like charizard.

shinies dont correspond to the accurate color...

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

OMG THERE ARE RUMOURS THAT THERE ARE NO STARTERS AND YOU HAVE TO CATCH A MEWTWO BEFORE YOU GO TO THE FIRST GYM AND YOUR RIVAL HAS A MEWTHREE

Seriously though, that's exactly how stupid the fighting/dark/psychic rumours seem to me. Anyone else agree?

Anyway, I think it's definitely time for a fire/steel lava lamp salamander thing. Oh, and why are the grass types always reptiles? Change that please, Ninty.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:25 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

they might just do this but who knows we wont know a thing untill more info is out.
and they wouldnt make a dakr and psychic mix... like frost said it would mess up the triangle but they might do it another way... think of it like this...

in gen 4, all the startes where grass, water, and fire with out anyother types... but after a few training there types changed into fighting steel and ground. now fighting > steel but steel dont beat ground so theres no triangle there... they might do that. make them water grass and fire then mix it up as they go threw evlovition

life is a bore.. no one can beat me :(

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:54 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
S.h.i.n.y.m.e.w wrote:
in gen 4, all the startes where grass, water, and fire with out anyother types... but after a few training there types changed into fighting steel and ground. now fighting > steel but steel dont beat ground so theres no triangle there... they might do that. make them water grass and fire then mix it up as they go threw evlovition

They did that in Gen 3 too but not to the same extent & I hope they stop doing that cause you battle your rival who has the starter your pokemon is supposely bad against & this will most likely make it worse type wise...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:21 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lawence Codye wrote:
S.h.i.n.y.m.e.w wrote:

They did that in Gen 3 too but not to the same extent & I hope they stop doing that cause you battle your rival who has the starter your pokemon is supposely bad against & this will most likely make it worse type wise...

but since when is your rival really that hard to beat?

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:14 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

KingErick wrote:

Not the point...not the point at all...the point is that they already have the type triangle made & with the 2nd Type they should be aiming to even things out or rather get rid of the type triangle that existed when they were basic pokemon instead of making it even worse...which sucks so in my opinion I say this should be the 2nd Types purpose & if not then what's the point of having one?...just saying...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:48 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I think that the designs of the should be different but the types stay the same. its the most balanced with the fire/grass/water triangle, but the designs always turn out odd. the only games i really had difficulties choosing the starters for were leafgreen and Soulsilver. Every other game i didnt care for the designs of 2 of the starters. i like difficult choices on the starters, but i think that it should stay with the Fire/Water/Grass Triangle

^This is for Pokemon Y

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:20 am
Profile YIM WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Here's an idea: Fire/Flying, Grass/Fighting, and Water/Rock starters. I know we already have those types, but just think about this. Each starter would have two types of STAB Supereffective moves to pwn eachother with. They could even throw in a 50-50 chance of your starter haveing one of three new abilities that would function like Blaze, Overgrow, and Torrent for Flying, Fighting, and Rock types.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:23 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Mewtwelve wrote:
I'm actually happy that those "starters" are obvious fakes. The ideas are lacking, and seriously, a dolphin? None of the previous water starters has been fishies (they all have legs, same goes for the fire starter snake too)

Mudkip??

{venusaur} {charizard} {blastoise} {meganium} {typhlosion} {feraligatr} {sceptile} {blaziken} {swampert} {torterra} {infernape} {empoleon} {machamp} {gallade} {toxicroak} {pidgeot} {staraptor} {luxray} {alakazam} {gengar} {nidoqueen} {nidoking} {aggron} {rhyperior} {gyarados} {milotic} {kingdra}

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:57 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Lawence Codye wrote:
KingErick wrote:

Not the point...not the point at all...the point is that they already have the type triangle made & with the 2nd Type they should be aiming to even things out or rather get rid of the type triangle that existed when they were basic pokemon instead of making it even worse...which sucks so in my opinion I say this should be the 2nd Types purpose & if not then what's the point of having one?...just saying...

Marshtomp vs. Grovyle. 4x damage. My first playthrough, I didn't realize; I had to reset multiple times before i did. >.>

If all the starters were pure primary types, we would all be bored to heck. There's only so much one can do with stat bases and movepools, so the secondary types break the traingle because at that point the triangle is obsolete anyway

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lightshayde wrote:
Lawence Codye wrote:
KingErick wrote:

Marshtomp vs. Grovyle. 4x damage. My first playthrough, I didn't realize; I had to reset multiple times before i did. >.>

If all the starters were pure primary types, we would all be bored to heck. There's only so much one can do with stat bases and movepools, so the secondary types break the traingle because at that point the triangle is obsolete anyway

This is why I want three types that have NOTHING to do with each other as the secondary starter types.
Example:
Fire/Psychic
Water/Flying
Grass/Steel
This would mean they're all great Pokemon on their own. And the original Weaknesses aren't completely obsolete.

OR
What if they made the three starter types repeat themselves?
That'd be pretty interesting...
Fire/Water
Water/Grass
Grass/Fire

Woah.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:13 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Spoinkable wrote:
Fire/Psychic
Water/Flying
Grass/Steel
This would mean they're all great Pokemon on their own. And the original Weaknesses aren't completely obsolete.

You do realise that 2 of those choices have dual weaknesses right?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Master Zoroark wrote:
Spoinkable wrote:
Fire/Psychic
Water/Flying
Grass/Steel

Yeah... =/
As I was coming up with the secondary typing,
I realized there's not much else they can do (that they haven't already done) for what I was trying to prove.

So slap a dunce cap on me, that was a fail.
=(

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:11 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

a rock flying fighting trio would be pretty cool :) (unless someone else posted that, i really didnt bother reading all the past posts :) )

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:32 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Megacat wrote:
a rock flying fighting trio would be pretty cool :) (unless someone else posted that, i really didnt bother reading all the past posts :) )

Especially if it was Fire/Rock, Water/Flying, Grass/Fighting

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:03 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Steel, Ground and Ice would be super fun.

But i doubt they will ever differ from the usual

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

what about an ice type not sure about the other two but i always liked ice

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Master Zoroark wrote:

That being said, at least he has it where it's not against one of the other types that are among the starters though like it is among the Hoenn starters...

Also I say they should be;

1. Fire/Ice
2. Water/Fighting
3. Grass/Psychic

This with the Grass Type being the hardest cause the starter it's weakened to does x2 damage to it with either of it's types due to both of them being good against Grass Types...
The Fire Type being the hardest cause the starter it's weakened to can use attacks of either of it's types to do x2 damage to it &...
The Water Type being the hardest cause of the same reason as the Fire Type...

Just a suggestion for what the types should be & none of them can get x4 damage on any of the others...sadly yes there is still a triangle of sorts but whatever...at least only the Water Type doesn't have a x4 weakness to any type...the other 2 clearly do though...

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:27 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Grass/Rock
Fire
Water/Ice

(A generation is yet to show up where the fire starter is unpaired. Grass was unpaired in 3rd gen, Water was unpaired in 1st--I just feel vindictive. Heh.)

Grass/Steel
Fire/Rock
Water/Ground

And who here thinks the abilities of the Starters suck? Seriously. It's cool they all have exclusive abilities and all, but they are almost useless most of the time. Water Absorb far outclasses Torrent, in my opinion, just as Flash fire is superior to Blaze.

Make the starters' abilities so they activate when the HP is under half, or make them do 175% or just change them altogether to make them more useful. (Unless of course the Stab works with the ability to deal, uh, what? 300% damage?)

Then again, it might just be me but whatever.

{venusaur} {charizard} {blastoise} {meganium} {typhlosion} {feraligatr} {sceptile} {blaziken} {swampert} {torterra} {infernape} {empoleon} {machamp} {gallade} {toxicroak} {pidgeot} {staraptor} {luxray} {alakazam} {gengar} {nidoqueen} {nidoking} {aggron} {rhyperior} {gyarados} {milotic} {kingdra}

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:02 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

I agree...the Fire Type starter needs to not have dual typing for once...& yeah, I don't care how powerful those abilities Blaze, Torrent & Overgrow makes their moves of their own main types respectively...it barely ever is used even compared to some other outclassed abilities...anywho, at least I actually can see Flash Fire, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, etc. actually happen from time to time...I mean I have never been able to utilize the abilities that the starters have in, ever...in ever...Oh & please no more Water/Ice types, especially not for the starters...it's a useless typing considering Ice Types poor number of resistances & noticable amount of weaknesses...I mean there is Dewgong, Lapras, Cloyster, all of Spheal's evolution stages & itself as well & I probably missed another 1 or 2 but whatever...

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:28 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

My bad. I just think it makes the starter triangle more balanced. *shrugs*

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next